Message Boards

Topic : 03/07 When Too Much is ... Too Much

Number of Replies: 422
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 10, 2006, 09:20:25 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/15/06) Imagine discovering that your next-door neighbor owns over 200 cats. Ray and Dennis never thought their neighbor, Kristy, would let her pet collection get that big. Once friends, the three are now in a nasty and vindictive war because of the felines. Ray and Dennis say Kristy's property is one big, disgusting litter box, and they want Kristy to get rid of her cats. Kristy says she'll never part with her "cat sanctuary." Are Ray and Dennis playing dirty in order to run Kristy out of town? When is it too much, and where do you draw the line in the litter box? Then, Mike says his wife, Lori, keeps everything from used envelopes to empty food jars and medicine bottles, because she "might need it" in the future. He is ready to take desperate measures to put a stop to this. Lori says the thought of throwing her stuff out is her worst nightmare. Is Mike guilty of making nasty bribes to get his wife to change? What's really behind Lori's habit for hoarding? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 11, 2006, 4:07 pm CST

You are not in animal rescue unless...

You are capable of providing for each cat in your care.  That includes socialization, veterinary care and...yes...adoption. 

There was a semi-feral female whom I captured along with her four kittens.  They are living in my tack room until Mama's sutures from spaying are removed and babies find a new home.  I am affiliated with a non-profit rescue to get the babies placed.  Thank God they are paying for the babies!  Caring for just these five cats is tough and expensive.  I clean their four litterboxes twice a day and spend an extensive amount of time handling the babies.  Right now I have to give Mama oral antibiotics.  That is not exactly easy.

I feel for people who have the illness that leads to animal hoarding.  They really do love the animals and think they are the best people to care for them.  They need help though, for the animals' sake and their own.

Until then give every rescue and rescuer a hand and SPAY or NEUTER your pet!

November 11, 2006, 4:39 pm CST

Way too much!

When a person gets too many "pets" (cats) many times the animals start to become wild.  This is not good for the cats or for the person taking care of them.  She needs to have the Humane Society come and help her adopt some of them out.
 I used to know a woman who kept 127 cats, but she was somewhat eccentric.  When they found her she had been deceased for several days and some of the cats had a feast on her.  The cleanup crew took two weeks to get the two story house cleaned out and the dead cats gotten rid of.  The woman had died of natural causes.
Yes, that is too many cats.  This also, goes for other types of animals.

November 11, 2006, 5:04 pm CST

True Welfare of Pets

To Much is too Much...This says it all.  This lady needs to stop thinking with her heart and use common sense.  These cats couldn't possibly be getting the care and attention they need.  First  they need to be altered, and up to date on vaccinations.  Second, the lady may love the cats but what would happen to them if she is gone tomorrow.  We have had cats at our house for 40 years and have never seen a kitten born.  My husband and I both agree that we don't want our pets to out live us.  Third she doesn't have a "sancutary" or they wouldn't be bothering the neighbors.  These neighbors need to check in to getting some local ordinances  on animal welfare.

November 11, 2006, 5:17 pm CST

200 cats?

i am sorry but 200 cats??????????????????? who in their right mind has 200 cats?  i do pet sitting as well as work part time in a  pet store and have encountered those that do like cat rescue and try and get them off the street as long with feeding strays and just those who have multiple cats:  but none of them own 200 cats. as some one who likes pets in general it's GROSS to keep that many felines arouond. how does one feed them all? what about vaccines and vet bills? unwanted babies? where do they all go to the bathroom? haven't seen the show as yet but wouldn't want to live next to that lady with all those cats. and i'd probably be like calling the cops on her or something like that.

November 11, 2006, 6:34 pm CST

What is this woman thinking!!

This woman clearly has too many cats! She should should share her love for those cats with other people by giving them up to be adopted. If i had someone who was my neighbor and had that many cats I would defiantly see what I could do to help resolve the problem, but for sure not KILL THEM. Neighbors who take matters in their own hands have serious problems. Who made them judge, jury and executioner? Killing them one by one will not solve the problem it will only make things worse as the show will make very clear.

November 11, 2006, 6:42 pm CST

It's everyone's responsibility

It just occured to me that it isn't just the owner of all the cats who is at fault.  Why did the neighbors not call Animal Control before it really got out of hand?  It seems to me that fifty cats would be just as noticable as 200.  They could have pressured the lady into getting help before the animals took over the neighborhood.

Like the rest of the board I haven't seen the show but Animal Control is the only way someone should deal with people who keep animals in inhumane conditions.  Poisoning or otherwise harming the animals is cruel, and any other method can cause excessive friction.  Animal Control officers are paid to deal with problem owners, let them handle it!

November 11, 2006, 6:57 pm CST

Geeezzz!!!

Alright.. I can see a few cats, dogs, whatever here and there. But 200?! There is something up with the woman. But I gotta say, I have a bad habit of picking up strays all the time. Even raccoons, ducks, squirrels, etc. Of course those were hurt. But dogs and cats I pick up all the time. I feel too bad leaving them outside when I know they don't have a home. I give them away and have kept 3 cats and got 1 dog so far from hurricane katrina. I was thinking about getting another. Maybe thats how she got them all. And she doesn't wanna see them starve. Who knows.

November 11, 2006, 7:13 pm CST

11/15 When Too Much is ... Too Much

Quote From: alpha12

It just occured to me that it isn't just the owner of all the cats who is at fault.  Why did the neighbors not call Animal Control before it really got out of hand?  It seems to me that fifty cats would be just as noticable as 200.  They could have pressured the lady into getting help before the animals took over the neighborhood.

Like the rest of the board I haven't seen the show but Animal Control is the only way someone should deal with people who keep animals in inhumane conditions.  Poisoning or otherwise harming the animals is cruel, and any other method can cause excessive friction.  Animal Control officers are paid to deal with problem owners, let them handle it!

I can't imagine 200 cats! I've had as many as 5 cats and 1 dog (a border collie) she likes to herd the cats....Anyway, I've found homes for 3 of the cats so, we're down to 2 an elderly white longhaired and a rescued 5mo. kitten who was nearly feral when she came here. The dog fixed that and now you'd think the kitten was hers.LOL!

I understand wanting to rescue strays but, w/ that comes RESPONSIBILITY and part of that  is giving an animal the best possible home and sometimes(sadly) it's not ours

As for poisoning etc., not only is it cruel it can endanger other animals than the ones it's meant for and is also totally IRRESPONSIBLE!!!

I say, call animal control and keep calling until they do something.

November 11, 2006, 7:45 pm CST

11/15 When Too Much is ... Too Much

I once had 12 cats, all strays I adopted, but as they died of old age I did not add to the "family".   I now have 5, all house cats, all spayed and neutered, all with their shots, and very much loved.   They get plenty of attention and quality food.    Their grocery bills are bigger than mine!

This spring somebody dumped a litter of kitties and their mama cat in my back yard.  I guess they saw my cats taking a sunbath in the windows and decided this was a cat home and that I would take care of the new ones.  I haven't lifted a finger to feed them or house them.  I guess they are catching birds to survive.  Come spring, they will be having litters and I don't know what to do.  I refuse to kill them.  I can't find a place to take cats.  We have a dog shelter but no cat shelter.   The veterinarian doesn't have any idea what to tell me.  I might have 200 cats in my back yard before I know it.  I'm beside myself. 

I know Dr. Phil's message board can't help me either, but I had to vent.   Thanks for the ear.

November 11, 2006, 8:17 pm CST

What are you thinking, woman???

I am an animal lover, but....when is enough, enough?  I believe that spaying and neutering your animals is not only necessary but a HEALTH issue for them and the neighborhood.  Do you not have any respect for yourself or your neighbors??  Do you think only the cats stink up your house and yard and do not bother anybody else?  If thats it you need to be checked yourself for mental problems because this is an absolute sickness.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last