Message Boards

Topic : 03/07 When Too Much is ... Too Much

Number of Replies: 422
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 10, 2006, 09:20:25 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/15/06) Imagine discovering that your next-door neighbor owns over 200 cats. Ray and Dennis never thought their neighbor, Kristy, would let her pet collection get that big. Once friends, the three are now in a nasty and vindictive war because of the felines. Ray and Dennis say Kristy's property is one big, disgusting litter box, and they want Kristy to get rid of her cats. Kristy says she'll never part with her "cat sanctuary." Are Ray and Dennis playing dirty in order to run Kristy out of town? When is it too much, and where do you draw the line in the litter box? Then, Mike says his wife, Lori, keeps everything from used envelopes to empty food jars and medicine bottles, because she "might need it" in the future. He is ready to take desperate measures to put a stop to this. Lori says the thought of throwing her stuff out is her worst nightmare. Is Mike guilty of making nasty bribes to get his wife to change? What's really behind Lori's habit for hoarding? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 16, 2007, 6:56 pm CDT

03/07 When Too Much is ... Too Much

Quote From: chcher9

I agree that these people probably have no business bringing another baby into the world OR that house.  They would just lose the kid in that mess.  But there are many people on this planet that have no business bringing babies into this world.  That is why there are foster homes and adoptive parents.  Unfortunately, once the child comes into the world, it's too late to say "Oops! Mistake!".  You can't return it and get your money back.

But to answer your question, there are people put on this earth to worry about what human babies have  endured because of "human" beings and there is another group put on this earth to worry about what animals have endured because of "human" beings.  And since there

are many more people worrying about human babies than furry babies, to some of us cats ARE

more important than human babies.

From the way you worded it, my guess is that you are no lover of cats and that you look at pets as disposable possessions rather a member of the family and a lifelong committment.

Indeed, we have had pets, cats and dogs, and I did indeed love them.  But not in quite the same way or to the same degree as the humans in my life.  And I did spend nearly 40 years as a clinical Social Worker in several Child Welfare Agencies.  I take no pleasure in seeing cats or dogs or nearly any creatures (don't push about the silver fish in my bathroom. Doesn't bother me at all to try to eliminate them) hurt or neglected.   We are needing to build and support more and more prisons to hold people who were born to parents who were not ready willing or able to help them become productive adults.  As far as I know, we don't have the same problems with mistreated animals.  It is not easy for any child to grow up today.  And yes, some abused and neglected children manage to be successful any way.  But many more become antisocial and a danger to others.

I wish I could agree that there are more people worrying about human babies than those who walk on 4 legs.  If this message board is in any way a reflection of reality, things are very lopsided the other way.

I know that we don't want to enforce a baby quota on people.  I also know that foster care and adoption are only good alternatives in the sense that they are better than some abusive or neglectful homes.  One of our children is adopted, and excuse my bragging but is a wonderful person.  We would have missed a great deal of joy if we had not adopted.  But even though we all love this child (young adult)  with all our hearts, if there had been a way for that birth mother to do the job well, that would be my first choice.

One of the most important things in life, I believe, is balance.  Pets are a good part of life.  Maybe some day 4 legged animals will be inventing things, writing books, composing music, or any of the positive things that today are done by people.  Until then, while there are people of all ages suffering and dying for lack of resources, and yet many resources are going into the care and pleasure of pets, I think things are out of balance.  I will never believe that this is a good thing.

Actually, I don't really enjoy being a minority opinion of one, and I promise, no more sermons.     

April 2, 2008, 11:57 am CDT

too many cats

I have a sister who is like this...maybe worse. When she was thrown out of her house, she had about 180 cats.   She lived in a remote area, was unable to pay her mortgage and the house was foreclosed.  The sheriff came to evict her in the middle of winter.  She had nothing.  She had to move out of state into a little studio apartment, and now she is starting to collect cats again....at this time she has 9 cats and a dog.  I don't know what to do about her.

First | Prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | Next Page | Last Page