Message Boards

Topic : 03/07 When Too Much is ... Too Much

Number of Replies: 422
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 10, 2006, 09:20:25 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/15/06) Imagine discovering that your next-door neighbor owns over 200 cats. Ray and Dennis never thought their neighbor, Kristy, would let her pet collection get that big. Once friends, the three are now in a nasty and vindictive war because of the felines. Ray and Dennis say Kristy's property is one big, disgusting litter box, and they want Kristy to get rid of her cats. Kristy says she'll never part with her "cat sanctuary." Are Ray and Dennis playing dirty in order to run Kristy out of town? When is it too much, and where do you draw the line in the litter box? Then, Mike says his wife, Lori, keeps everything from used envelopes to empty food jars and medicine bottles, because she "might need it" in the future. He is ready to take desperate measures to put a stop to this. Lori says the thought of throwing her stuff out is her worst nightmare. Is Mike guilty of making nasty bribes to get his wife to change? What's really behind Lori's habit for hoarding? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 13, 2006, 8:22 pm CST

11/15 When Too Much is ... Too Much

Quote From: cyncyng

These people that start off helping a stray end up with it all out of control, saving trash, collecting empty bottles, newspapers and things normal people would throw away. It is a mental illness. They live in cat feces, urine, fleas and the cats are NOT getting the medical attention they need, they are spreading their diseases to all of the cats.  It is a tragedy and these people dont know how to stop.  It is a national disgrace what us humans do to eachother and to animals. Lazy, greedy people get a cute kitten or puppy and dump them in the middel of nowhere, over bridges, left to die in yards and worse. Hundreds of thousands of animals are put to sleep each day, then they are ground up with road kill and put in dog.cat food, nasty secret.  We all must stop the insanity that is hidden from us.  We must take back our country, get the corrupt politicians out of the offfices and stand up for ourselves.  We are eating genetically modified food that has nothing nutritianal in it, and our brains are saying WE ARE STARVING so we keep eating, and we are getting fat. Stop watching the regular news, they are owned by the big corporations, the ones that are drugging america with prozac, we are being fleeced out of all our hard earned money under the threat of death or jail (IRS) and the politicians are making millions of dollars off of us, buying up land in advance of highway construction, making a huge profit, we must stop the corruption.  I for one will never eat a corporatly raised chicken or egg again after hearing what they do to the poor chickens to get them to grow in half the regular time and lay eggs in cruel inhumane conditions that kills many of them.  People across our land, please please check into these things, stop supporting the big corporations and support organic growers, take vitamins, drink distilled water, dont eat fast food, and stop drinking, doing drugs or medicating your self because you are so upset, frustrated and mad. Lets unite and kick those creeps out of office and take back our "of the people, by the people, for the people, NOT I can make a fortune out of this job I was elected for... by screwing the very people that elected me... I wont get caught... and lets not be so nice to people that are willing to ruin our lives, the lives of our children and the earth.  I say build more prisons, and fill em up. Put the child molesters in permanently, rapists permenantly, murderers never get out. Put the insane in mental hospitals and never let them out. Stop spending so much on space programs and lets get the people in this country in better shape, so nobody has to be homeless, hungry or unemployeed.  We are the richest country in the world and every city has slums. We are the laughing stock of the world, do you all know that no country will import american food? Do you wonder why?  This woman along with many women and men need mental help. Why would we not help them? Because the politicians have reduced funding for everything for us and put the money in their own pockets.
Rant much?

November 14, 2006, 5:55 am CST

You're Welcome

Quote From: kleesun

Thank you for saying all that!

I used to work for a vet and people were always dumping animals on us, either discreetly (left in boxes on the doorstep or on a leash tied to the doorhandle) or not discreetly (they'd bring it in, say "it's not mine", and run).

Many vets have foster pets on the premises anyway but please don't expect your vet to take in what you find.  Not only can vets not afford this (believe it or not--it takes a lot of technicians to run animal hospital and they all have to be paid, although vet techs are not paid very well) but it's a huge emotional strain on the staff.  Believe me, we don't want to turn away an unwanted animal but we can't afford it any more than you can, and most of us have already adopted all the strays we can handle.  I fostered so many cats--at my own expense--I can't even remember them all. 

If you bring a sick or injured animal to the vet's, it's yours (unless they offer to take it off your hands).  You are responsible for paying for it.

PLEASE spay or neuter your pets!  They will be better pets, they will be better watch-dogs, they will be healthier, and it will save you a lot of money in the long run.  Modern anesthesia makes it very safe and it is not cruel (we have good pain medication these days, too!).  Your pet will never know the difference and will be spared a lot of health trouble later in life.

After volunteering at the local shelter, I became passionate about this, there is notheing more HEARTBREAKING to me than to know because of lack of responsibility on the part of the owners, that MILLIONS of dogs and cats will be euthanized or outright killed this year.

You are resposible for those you have domesticated !!!!!!!

November 14, 2006, 6:50 am CST

HOARDING ANIMALS

Hoarding animals is caused by a mental condition.  Oprah did a show on this topic.  The first subject was a woman who dressed impeccably and her home was a mess.  On the same show there was a woman who also hoarded cats and the reasons behind these types of behavior were discussed.  I am looking forward to hearing Dr, Phil's take on this, from the promos it looks like things get ugly between the woman with the cats and her neighbors. 
People geting so extreme with each other these days seems like a form of mental illness too!

November 14, 2006, 7:41 am CST

I TOTALLY AGREE!!

Quote From: nyintx

Hoarding animals is caused by a mental condition.  Oprah did a show on this topic.  The first subject was a woman who dressed impeccably and her home was a mess.  On the same show there was a woman who also hoarded cats and the reasons behind these types of behavior were discussed.  I am looking forward to hearing Dr, Phil's take on this, from the promos it looks like things get ugly between the woman with the cats and her neighbors. 
People geting so extreme with each other these days seems like a form of mental illness too!

MY MOTHER IN LAWS AUNT IS ONE OF THESE PEOPLE!!! THE HOUSE IS DISGUSTING!!! THE AUNT GOT VERY SICK AND EVERYONE WAS SHUFFLING AROUND TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS WRONG WITH HER, AND HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM.  SO THEY SENT HER TO LIVE WITH HER SISTER IN TEXAS, AND WE WENT IN TO CLEAN THE HOUSE. SHE HAD 18 CATS IN THE HOUSE PLUS 2 DOGS. IT WAS TERRIBLE. ALL YOU COULD SEE AND SMELL FOREVER WAS CAT PEE AND POOP.  WE HAD THE ANIMAL SHELTER TO COME AND GET THE CATS AND THE DOGS.  WHEN SHE CAME BACK THEY WOULD ONLY LET HER HAVE SO MANY OF THE CATS LIKE 3 OR 4 I THINK AND SHE COULD HAVE THE 2 DOGS. THIS MADE HER SO MAD! NOW SHE HAS TURNED HER BACK ON THE WHOLE FAMILY AND HAS THREATENED IF SHE SEE'S ANY OF THE FAMILY'S ANIMALS ON HER PROPERTY THAT SHE WILL HAVE THEM PICKED UP BY THE SHELTER! OH AND THE STORY JUST GOES ON AND ON...!!!! BUT I AGREE WITH YOU ON THE MENTAL ILLNESS BECAUSE SHE CANNOT BE RIGHT TO THINK SHE IS MAKING A WONDERFUL HOME FOR THESE ANIMALS, WHEN THEY ARE LIVING IN A BIG BIG LITTER BOX!!! I 2 CANNOT WAIT TO SEE WHAT DR. PHIL HAS TO SAY!!

November 14, 2006, 12:04 pm CST

dont know if you guys can post this but it seems so proper with this poor woman hehehe<>

Too Many Cats?
by Kathie Freeman

Cats are becoming increasingly popular as pets these days, and a big question is, how many cats should a family have? For some people, one is more than enough, others have half a dozen or more. Here are some sure- fire ways to know when you've reached your limit.

You know you have too many cats when:

Your annual cat food bill is more than the combined Gross National Product of Liechtenstein, Andorra, and San Marino.

Your last three cats are named Puss, Kitty-cat, and Hey You.

You and your spouse are sleeping on the floor because there's no more room in the bed.

The cleaning lady at the vet's office calls you by your first name.

All your windowsills are occupied.

Your neighbors forget your last name and start referring to you as "you know, the cat people".

You have to change the vacuum cleaner bags every week.

You're running out of corners to put litter boxes in.

Even your coffee table has a slip cover.

The most important crop in your garden every year is catnip.

You can't remember what a house plant looks like.

Flea collars smell good to you.

You actually understand what your cats are saying.

More than half your mail comes from Purina and Friskies.

Every year you get a personally autographed Christmas card from Morris.

Your cat door has been replaced three times.

For Mothers Day last year the kids pooled their money and bought you an electric cat brush.

You thought it was the perfect gift.

November 14, 2006, 12:09 pm CST

Quote From: swiperthefoxy

I think that not feeding the kittens and momma is cruel,if you just let them fend for themselfs they will become wild and unsociable,even if you just took them in for on a temporary basis,kinda like a foster parent and advirtised them in your local paper,radio or made posters to find them homes would be much more acceptable than leaving these poor cats to the elements,please think about this :)
Feral adult cats are extremely hard to domesticate and, consequently, almost impossible to adopt out.  If you can catch the kittens, it shouldn't be hard to find homes for them, but adults cats are a huge handful.  Been there, done that, had my arms clawed to pieces.

November 14, 2006, 12:41 pm CST

Quote From: afraid

Too Many Cats?
by Kathie Freeman

Cats are becoming increasingly popular as pets these days, and a big question is, how many cats should a family have? For some people, one is more than enough, others have half a dozen or more. Here are some sure- fire ways to know when you've reached your limit.

You know you have too many cats when:

Your annual cat food bill is more than the combined Gross National Product of Liechtenstein, Andorra, and San Marino.

Your last three cats are named Puss, Kitty-cat, and Hey You.

You and your spouse are sleeping on the floor because there's no more room in the bed.

The cleaning lady at the vet's office calls you by your first name.

All your windowsills are occupied.

Your neighbors forget your last name and start referring to you as "you know, the cat people".

You have to change the vacuum cleaner bags every week.

You're running out of corners to put litter boxes in.

Even your coffee table has a slip cover.

The most important crop in your garden every year is catnip.

You can't remember what a house plant looks like.

Flea collars smell good to you.

You actually understand what your cats are saying.

More than half your mail comes from Purina and Friskies.

Every year you get a personally autographed Christmas card from Morris.

Your cat door has been replaced three times.

For Mothers Day last year the kids pooled their money and bought you an electric cat brush.

You thought it was the perfect gift.

LOL! I have two cats cat 1 is furball cat 2 is Cat get down!  (her name's firefly) but she doesn't know it 'cause she's a really busy kitty  and we're saying "Cat get down" every 10 seconds or so!

Ahh... but i love them both and the dog. What can you do?

November 14, 2006, 1:10 pm CST

it would seem this woman is a real animal lover

WHAT CATS DO FOR US
From Iams Pet Foods

Kitten Bar

purple ballWarm our laps purple ballGive us someone to talk to purple ballHelp reduce high blood pressure purple ballBring the winter air inside, nestled in their coats purple ballCreate a kindred feeling with other "cat people" purple ballTurn common household objects like bottle caps into toys purple ballMake us more aware of birds purple ballDonate their services as alarm clocks purple ballDisplay daring acrobatic feats right in front of our eyes purple ballContribute to living a longer life purple ballMake a window sill more beautiful purple ballKeep mice on the run purple ballMake us smile purple ballInspire poets and playwrights purple ballTeach us how to land on our feet purple ballLet us indulge our desires to really spoil someone purple ballMake our homes warmer purple ballRemind us that life is mysterious purple ballShare with us the all-is-well experience of purring purple ballInstruct us in the luxurious art of stretching purple ballShow us how to lick our wounds and go on purple ballGive us cool cartoon characters purple ballMake even an old worn couch look beautiful purple ballOpen our hearts

November 14, 2006, 1:16 pm CST

Thoughts On Cats

cat button"Managing senior programmers is like herding cats."
clear icon- Dave Platt

cat button"Never try to out-stubborn a cat."
clear icon- Lazarus Long,

cat button"Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a cat."
clear icon- Franklin P. Jones

cat button"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
clear icon- Anonymous

cat button"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods.
clear iconCats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

cat button"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to
clear iconpull a sled through snow." - Jeff Valdez

cat button"In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats."
clear icon- English proverb

cat button"As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat."
clear icon- Ellen Perry Berkeley

cat button"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God."

cat button"Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and
clear iconget back to you later." - Mary Bly

cat button"Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject
clear iconto a good many ailments, but I never heard of one who
clear iconsuffered from insomnia." - Joseph Wood Krutch

cat button"There are many intelligent species in the universe. They
clear iconare all owned by cats." - Anonymous

cat button"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life:
clear iconmusic and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

cat button"Time spent with cats is never wasted." - Colette

cat button"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel.
clear iconTrue, and they have many other fine qualities as well."
clear icon- Missy Dizick

cat button"Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any
clear iconharm to ask for what you want." - Joseph Wood Krutch

cat button"I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic."

cat button"My husband said it was him or the cat ... I miss him
clear iconsometimes."

November 14, 2006, 1:45 pm CST

This is a disease.

This is a compulsive hoarding disorder called animal hoarding.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_hoarding

It's linked to obsessive compulsive disorder, and anyone afflicted with it needs serious help: there can be consequences for the "owner", his neighbors and for the animals. The sufferer of the disorder is almost always in complete denial about his inability to care for the animals and the end result is often the mass euthenasia of the animals or, in the case of some elderly people, the person dies and is found days or weeks later partially consumed by his pets!

The person who mentioned that municipal governments don't do enough to stop this sort of thing is right on. Since this problem is so widespread, I believe that all municipalities should have a policy for identifying and dealing with these people while the problem is in its early stages.

No one should be running an animal shelter in a residence; that's the equivalent of running a dairy farm out of your kitchen!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last