Message Boards

Topic : 11/24 Great School Debate

Number of Replies: 4215
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 17, 2006, 12:57:50 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents want the best for their children, but what’s the best way to educate them? Dr. Phil’s guests face off in a debate about whether to school, homeschool or unschool. Dana and her husband, Joe, call themselves radical unschoolers. They say education happens as a side effect of life, and they don’t believe in tests, curriculums or grades. Are their three kids learning what they need to know? Then, RaeAnn says public schools are death traps and wants to homeschool her children. Her husband, Steve, says their kids are safer at school than they are at home. Can this couple reach a compromise? Plus, Nicole feels like an outcast at 26. She says she hated being homeschooled, and couldn’t relate to other kids. Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 17, 2006, 8:32 pm CST

11/24 Great School Debate

Children deserve the best education possible and it is up to the parents to figure out what is best for their kids.  I personally like the idea of homeschooling and think it is awesome if the kids are benefitting from it, I know quite a few homeschoolers and their kids are high achievers and doing very well in college as well as life itself. My daughter is in a small Christian school which also is a very awesome setting, the security is unbelievable and the curriculum is top notch and the school has an awesome reputation and my daughter is happy, if it does, for some odd reason fail, we will go the homeschooling route for public schooling in my area is not an option for various reasons.

Parents, think about your kids and as they mature and can communicate well, communicate with them, listen to them and make sure all their needs  as well as interests and goals are being met, we owe it to our kids to give them the best education possible and believe it or not, what works for one may not work for another therefore it is imporant to be alert as parents and thankfully we live in a country that believes in allowing parents to guide and direct their kids.

November 18, 2006, 1:20 am CST

My husband's Aunt is an "unschooler"...her children are sharply behind when it comes to every subject...I personally find it to be a very irresponsible thing to do. Our society requires education and society benefits from it.  Not everything is learned as a side effect of living. That's ridiculous.

November 18, 2006, 1:49 am CST

I graduated last year from public school.  I had excellent grades and am now doing well in college where I am studying to be a nurse. I think that people are making excuses by blaming public school when students don't do well.  With any type of school, you get what you take out of it.  Most kids today are lazy.  Why don't we call it what it is!  I do not think it is the school's fault.  I was raised by a single, disabled mother, and I was able to take advanced classes while working and doing internships.  So when I hear public schools being blamed for students not passing even the most basic classes, I think maybe we should look at how much effort the student is putting in.  I went to school, payed attention, studied, and passed the classes.  There were also students who cut school, did not pay attention, did not study, and (surprise surprise) did not pass.  It seems very simple to me, each person is responsible for their own success.  We just don't like to take responsibility for our own actions (laziness), so we blame the school (laziness).  Life is not like private school or home school.  You get what you are given in life and you choose to either work hard for success, or be lazy and blame something else for your failure.

As for the people who are choosing not to educate their children at all, I hope they feel good about crippling them for life.  Regardless of their opinion about education, it is necessary in our society.  The best job you can get without some kind of higher education is at McDonald's.  They are sentencing their children to a life of almost certain poverty.  They should be ashamed of themselves.

November 18, 2006, 6:15 am CST

It depends on the individual

I do not think that home schooling is for everyone nor do I believe that public schooling is either.  I think parents have a responsibility to do what will best benefit their child.  I have one child in public school and one that I home school.  While one does extremely well in the public school, the other does not.  I don't think it's fair to put all people in one box and say that is what's best for one is best for all.  It doesn't work that way anywhere else in the 'real' world. 

For those who have ailments - do they all take the same medication?  No, it depends on what ails them!  Does everyone take something for an ailment??  Not if they don't have an ailment!  Not everyone has the same learning style, abilities or disabilities.  You can't put all people in one room and teach them all the same way and expect them ALL to 'get it'.  Put all those alike (same learning styles, abilities and interests) in one room and teach them and they'll comprehend.  I'd like to see THAT happen in the public school system! 

And some parents don't have a choice but to send their child(ren) to public school.

I don't think anyone can tell anyone else what's best for the other's child and it be taken seriously.  This debate will never be resolved until we learn to accept each other's differences and accept that not everyone fits the same mold.

November 18, 2006, 6:27 am CST

Quote From: manda7

I graduated last year from public school.  I had excellent grades and am now doing well in college where I am studying to be a nurse. I think that people are making excuses by blaming public school when students don't do well.  With any type of school, you get what you take out of it.  Most kids today are lazy.  Why don't we call it what it is!  I do not think it is the school's fault.  I was raised by a single, disabled mother, and I was able to take advanced classes while working and doing internships.  So when I hear public schools being blamed for students not passing even the most basic classes, I think maybe we should look at how much effort the student is putting in.  I went to school, payed attention, studied, and passed the classes.  There were also students who cut school, did not pay attention, did not study, and (surprise surprise) did not pass.  It seems very simple to me, each person is responsible for their own success.  We just don't like to take responsibility for our own actions (laziness), so we blame the school (laziness).  Life is not like private school or home school.  You get what you are given in life and you choose to either work hard for success, or be lazy and blame something else for your failure.

As for the people who are choosing not to educate their children at all, I hope they feel good about crippling them for life.  Regardless of their opinion about education, it is necessary in our society.  The best job you can get without some kind of higher education is at McDonald's.  They are sentencing their children to a life of almost certain poverty.  They should be ashamed of themselves.

Well, it's wonderful that uyou succeeded through school and I agree that therea re some who don;t give a hoot while attending school, believe me, We all know those type of kids but also there are kids with learnign disabilities and those who DO studya nd want to succeed but they still fail. You get over your better then thou attitude and have some compassion on those who do need maybe more one on one then waht the schools are able to give, teachers are responsible for a group of kids that sometimes with over crowded classes and there is no way on this planet A teacher can meet every child's needs, I don't care how good of a teacher they are.

And rather you realize it or not kids who are homesscooled AND private school taught CAN AND DO succeed. My daughter is only 5 and I taught her to read, to do basic math, I give her spelling test every so often, she writes in sentence. She is getting ready to be tested at her WONDERFUL PRIVATE school that is a high rated school in my county, and I guarentee, she is doing second and third grade work right now in class as well as at home, my three year old is well on her way as well.

A good education does not have to come from the public school system, look where the crime and the bullying for the most part comes from. I guarentee that those of us paying for our children's education has sought out the best of the best, Do you think I would be dishing out money for this if I didn't think it was imporant? I say Private schooling rocks and for those who have and are homeschooling with much success, I say Kudos to them and thier kids and as fara s unschooling calls, I do not know enough about that but coming from an area that is big on homeschooling, well, there are a whole lot more success stories then you can imagine.

Kids learn in different ways and styles, my daughters class is not over crowded, Both Principals know every child and parent by name as they walk in and out of school, there is ALWAYS some one at the doors when it is opened, and the programming is awesome. My 5 year old is int he choir as well as Spanish and getting high marks, Public schooling is not the only way to go, My kids are not using it and for those who have a problem with it, I say too bad, get over it, I as the parent of my children know what I am doing when it comes to my children and I will go out of my way to keep my kids safe and in a learning atmosphere that will help theo become who theya re meant to be.

I agre that kids and parents need to put effort in teaching and learning and at the same time teachers and staff need to concentrate on the kids and make sure there is enough staff to cover the bases including one on one teaching IF needed as I know there are kids who benefit more on a smaller class size. Not all kids are brains, and not all kids get it, the first time around, I went to college with a girl who studied more then any one I knew, didn't miss a class, took notes, paid attention, went to study groups, spent a whole lot of her time in the library and guess what, she was barely average, failed a lot of tests, it doesn't come easy for every one, I have another friend who barely graduated and it wasn't for the lack of studying and committment, she was teased for being learning disability but the girl did everything in her power to make it as she did, she is now a 30 something year old with a successful job doing very well but it took a whole lot more work and effort, getting around the bullying then it did some one like you. Not every one is  as good as you wich I am suire you are not perfect at everyhting you do, maybe you have never failed a class and that is good but remember not every one who fail is lazy and just becasue some one homeschools or goes to private school does not mean their is laziness or anything else that is negative, I say the kids come first and it is up to the parents to make sure their children is gettignt he best of the best educaton for their  children, it isn't for society to decide what is best, thatis the parents job, afterall we know our kids better then any one else on this planet, to allt he wonderful parents out there, kudos to you for putting your kids first.

November 18, 2006, 7:16 am CST

Quote From: jettav

Well, it's wonderful that uyou succeeded through school and I agree that therea re some who don;t give a hoot while attending school, believe me, We all know those type of kids but also there are kids with learnign disabilities and those who DO studya nd want to succeed but they still fail. You get over your better then thou attitude and have some compassion on those who do need maybe more one on one then waht the schools are able to give, teachers are responsible for a group of kids that sometimes with over crowded classes and there is no way on this planet A teacher can meet every child's needs, I don't care how good of a teacher they are.

And rather you realize it or not kids who are homesscooled AND private school taught CAN AND DO succeed. My daughter is only 5 and I taught her to read, to do basic math, I give her spelling test every so often, she writes in sentence. She is getting ready to be tested at her WONDERFUL PRIVATE school that is a high rated school in my county, and I guarentee, she is doing second and third grade work right now in class as well as at home, my three year old is well on her way as well.

A good education does not have to come from the public school system, look where the crime and the bullying for the most part comes from. I guarentee that those of us paying for our children's education has sought out the best of the best, Do you think I would be dishing out money for this if I didn't think it was imporant? I say Private schooling rocks and for those who have and are homeschooling with much success, I say Kudos to them and thier kids and as fara s unschooling calls, I do not know enough about that but coming from an area that is big on homeschooling, well, there are a whole lot more success stories then you can imagine.

Kids learn in different ways and styles, my daughters class is not over crowded, Both Principals know every child and parent by name as they walk in and out of school, there is ALWAYS some one at the doors when it is opened, and the programming is awesome. My 5 year old is int he choir as well as Spanish and getting high marks, Public schooling is not the only way to go, My kids are not using it and for those who have a problem with it, I say too bad, get over it, I as the parent of my children know what I am doing when it comes to my children and I will go out of my way to keep my kids safe and in a learning atmosphere that will help theo become who theya re meant to be.

I agre that kids and parents need to put effort in teaching and learning and at the same time teachers and staff need to concentrate on the kids and make sure there is enough staff to cover the bases including one on one teaching IF needed as I know there are kids who benefit more on a smaller class size. Not all kids are brains, and not all kids get it, the first time around, I went to college with a girl who studied more then any one I knew, didn't miss a class, took notes, paid attention, went to study groups, spent a whole lot of her time in the library and guess what, she was barely average, failed a lot of tests, it doesn't come easy for every one, I have another friend who barely graduated and it wasn't for the lack of studying and committment, she was teased for being learning disability but the girl did everything in her power to make it as she did, she is now a 30 something year old with a successful job doing very well but it took a whole lot more work and effort, getting around the bullying then it did some one like you. Not every one is  as good as you wich I am suire you are not perfect at everyhting you do, maybe you have never failed a class and that is good but remember not every one who fail is lazy and just becasue some one homeschools or goes to private school does not mean their is laziness or anything else that is negative, I say the kids come first and it is up to the parents to make sure their children is gettignt he best of the best educaton for their  children, it isn't for society to decide what is best, thatis the parents job, afterall we know our kids better then any one else on this planet, to allt he wonderful parents out there, kudos to you for putting your kids first.

Crime and bullying do NOT come from the public school system. We don't teach that as a special elective class! LOL! Crime and bullying come from people - and from kids. It's not inherent to the institution of public schools. Just because public schools have to deal with the problems of undisciplined children doesn't mean they are the CAUSE of those problems.

While I do not argue that private schooling or even homeschooling may be the best choice for some families, I am a bit concerned over the idea that just any parent is qualified to educate his/her children. It is a VERY serious commitment that requires time, dedication, and ability. I cannot tell you how many children are returned to public schools after parents get bored with homeschooling, and the children are woefully behind not only in academics but in social skills.

I know there are many homeschooling success stories, but I think it is misleading to say that any parent will be able to be successful in this area. Some simply do not have the ability, the education, the time, or a full understanding of what is required. I disagree that EVERY parent knows what is best for his/her child. If that were true, we wouldn't have the problems we have today. I know a lot of great parents, but I also have met many who absolutely SHOULD NOT homeschool.

November 18, 2006, 7:35 am CST

Guess we're lucky...

My husband and I are very "concerned" with our children's education, therefore, we moved to a higher end area with good public schools.  My oldest son is 8 and in 3rd grade.   He is almost a year younger than most of the other kids as their Moms kept them back a year.  He is doing above average work and not having any issues.  I think there is A LOT of mis-understanding about public schools.  First, in my son's class there are LESS kids than the average area's private schools.  Next, there are boudaries set by the district on w hat they can teach your child that do not exist in private school.  In private school (I found this out after we checked out private schools and from a teacher) they can teach whatever they see fit.  Also, it is up to the parent to be involved in their child's education.  If you see your child is struggling in any way, then go to the teacher and work something out.  Public school has a multitude of programs to assist you and with the "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" there's really no excuse (learning disability or whatever) to not have your child succeed.  We have what is called a 504 plan for my son.  Basically, it is a legal document that will follow him through High School.  I can dicatate (if need be) every move/action the teacher makes in regards to my son.  It is NOT that way now but the option exists.  This is available to all parents at any public school.  Last, I can claim all you do about my son's public school.  That is why we are "dishing out the money" to live in a nice area.  Therefore, the crime and bullying you speak of really isn't an issue where we live.   If it does happen, then my son will take care of it with help from his Dad and I.  I think a lot of people are very mis-guided about not only private school but homeschooling and unschooling as well.  Part of education is not just academics.  There is so much more.  In today's world, there is very little chance for self-sufficiency without a decent education.  Also, you need to have skills beyond that.  If you can't deal with people or situations that may come up in life (like bullying) you are not likely to have a lot of job offers.  In a public school setting, although not perfect, there is much more to learn on a social level.  You learn to wait your turn, respect others and that there are consequences for your actions that can affect your whole class.  Anyone who thinks the majority of private schools kids are perfect, think again.  When I was young, these were among the most wild of us all.  They just had the $$ to get out of most any trouble. 

All in all, a good education can come from a good public school.  I agree, not all are good.  There are some even in my district I would not send my kids to.  That is why my hubby and I are very careful if we decided to buy another house in this area.  We want to make sure we stay within school lines that we like.  Also, if a parent expects the school to teach everything to their child then they are in error.  I am in my son's class every week helping out.  No, I am not  Room Mom every year but I am there.  I have been on Field Trips and helped out with parties and such.  I consider myself lucky to be able to do this even though I work full time.  There is academic education which I believe needs to be done by people who are qualified- someone with teaching credentials. For what it's worth, I also believe anyone who homeschools/unschools should have these same credentials. Then there  is the other edcuation which is about life.  This is up to parents. 

Last, don't assume every kid in public school has parents who don't care.  Just as you assume this there are people who assume things about you and your choices.  You are not the only parent who is involved in your child's life the way you are.  I have many many friends who are teachers in public schools and I can tell you they are far more trained than anyone realizes.  They are concerned and they do teach every child no matter how big their class is.  Also, in public school in 1st and 2nd grade the class size has to be UNDER 20 kids...again lower than most private schools.  My friends also say their biggest battle is not teaching the kids but dealing with parents.  Food for thought. 

November 18, 2006, 8:06 am CST

Do what's best for each individual child

I am not sure how I feel about "unschooling". We know of only one family who are unschoolers, and those children are not doing too well on any level. The children place no value on commitments or deadlines; However, I don't believe that is indicative of the majority of unschoolers.

I am homeschooling my daughter for a number of reasons,but will detail only the major points. She did attend kindergarten in our school district and then we saw the need to do something different.

Our daughter was tested at a 2nd grade level when she was admitted to kindergarten. The teachers called me to a conference and said that my daughter actually tapped out the 2nd grade charts, but  legally they could not test her any higher, nor were they allowed to place my daughter in the 3rd grade, which they believed was the level she should be placed at.

So my child was in kindergarten where she was sent to 1st and 2nd grade classrooms for math, and reading. In doing this, she would miss out on field trips and recess time, which were scheduled for the times she was in the other classrooms.

My daughter felt left out and lonely. She was never with other children as she was getting her teaching from a couple of para educators in the classroom,and not actually mainstreamed.

She began to have severe asthma attacks and would be sent home from school. My daughter missed alot of school due to asthma and the need for a nebulizer machine, which the school could not administer to her.

Currently my daughter is on a 6th grade level, and if she were still in the public school, she would only be in the 3rd grade. This is a very social child. She has taken dance classes, gymnastics and is in taekwondo. She is also involved in a youth group at church.,and there is also a homeschoolinging organization in our area, which organizes sports activities and field trips as well as art and science cooperatives.

Our daughter has many advantages over children who are in public schools. She does her studies in the morning and is usually finished by lunch. Then she helps me with the daycare children, and helps bake and clean, and of course, she gets to spend alot more time playing.  She is getting hands on learning as well as book studies, and will most likely graduate at age 16.

The most important change that has taken place, is that my daughter no longer has asthma. She is a socially and emotionally well-adjusted child.

Whereas public school is not the right option for my daughter, that doesn't make it wrong for someone else. Each child is an individual with specific needs.

Education is important and the options should be researched and weighed very carefully. Each parent has the responsibility to do what is best her their own children.

November 18, 2006, 8:09 am CST

Public school is a joke

I graduated from an upper-middle class high school in 1990.  I thought I had learned what needed to be learned so that I could go on to college.  WRONG!  In college I had to pay for REMEDIAL math classes!!! I was so angry.  But then I looked around at who was in my remedial class and they were all students from North Hills High School!!  I wanted to bill the high school for my remedial classes, but my parents said I should just drop it.  I wish I had sent the high school a bill.  Maybe it would have caused them to take another look at their sub-par cirriculum!!

That was all hapening 16 years ago!  I now live in New Mexico and the schools here are horrific.  Graduates can't read, write, do math, spell....nothing!  My niece is in the 9th grade and probably reads on a 4th grade level.  She can't spell correctly if her life depended on it...and it does.  No one wants to hire someone too stupid to spell or add or divide correctly.  And her speaking is just as bad.  She sounds like a dullard.  This will haunt her for the rest of her life.  People will assume she's an idiot, not the kind, sweet, beautiful girl that she has become.

New Mexico ranks 43rd out of 50 for our inadequate schooling, yet our govenor refuses to address it.  Yes he's trying to throw money at the problem, but we need to start requiring more from the teachers and principals before we can make such demands on our children.  New Mexico also has a "don't ask" policy about if a child is an illegal or an American citizen.  Therefore our schools are flooded with illegals who only speak Spanish.  This adds to the teachers' burden---the teachers must learn and teach Spanish to "accomodate" these illegals.  No wonder we rank so low!!  New Mexico is like a 3rd world country in many ways.

Home schooling sounds like the way to go so long as the parents meet all the required credentials and they are diligent about teaching at home.  Home schooled kids should have some kind of network so that they can be around like-aged kids.  That way they can learn the socialization skills needed out in the real world.

For our retirement we are looking to go to the mountains of Montana -- maybe we'll find some smart people like us up there!!

November 18, 2006, 8:10 am CST

I am not going to homeschool, I don't think it will benefit MY children.  I don't think it would be healthy for them to be with me all day, they need to get out and be with other kids their age in an environment that will support that.  Plus, I want them to get the best education they can get, even if that means public schools.  There are lots of Merit schools in the town my children will be going to and the kids score very high on their tests. 

The only difference I see between Public and Private schools is the cost.  Also, that some private schools are religious based.  You can find the same classes in public school without the cost.  I don't think we need to push our children academically, and honestly I think it's a little too much to have a kindergardner doing 3rd grade work.  Now, if they child is capable of doing it, then so be it, but I do not think it's wise to push kids while they are so young.

There is bullying and crime if private school as well.  I had a friend that went to a Christian private school and the kids there did drugs and had sex on the property!  Same thing that was going on in the public school system.

I don't think homeschooling really teaches responsibility.  Some of the time it is not structured and it is only for a couple hours a day.  Going out of the house to school reinforces responsibility and teaching the student to be liable for their actions.  Sure, there were a few days when I didn't want to go to school, but I could not have stayed home.  I would not be socially mature, but that is me, it could be different for others.  Plus, leaving home to go to school prepared me for the real world, where you leave your house and you do what you have to do, even if you don't like it.

So it looks like public schooling for my kids. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last