Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 Wacky Resolutions

Number of Replies: 53
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 28, 2006, 04:49:21 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
When the New Year comes around, most people resolve to lose weight and stop smoking, but Dr. Phil’s guests have odd New Year’s resolutions, and they need help making them stick. Laura is afraid of bulging eyes and big teeth -- not on people, but on costumed characters and clowns! She won't even take her son to an amusement park because she's too scared she might see a fuzzy creature. Laura goes backstage with Dr. Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil advisory board, to learn how to overcome her fear. See what happens when she's put to the test at the end of the show. Then, Cindy says computers will take over the world and suck people's brains out. She has even lost jobs because she believes the mouse could shock her to death. Despite her concerns, she still wants to become computer savvy. Will Dr. Phil's plan get Cindy to overcome her fear of technology? And, Greta, 22, is so attached to an old blanket she calls her "Tee Tee" that she fears it may come between her and her fiancé in bed. How can she learn to let go of the tattered object? Plus, Lisa lectures people everyday at work about keeping up a habit that’s good for their health, yet she is too lazy to do it herself. What's the dirty secret she wants to resolve for 2007, and why is it such a big deal? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 30, 2006, 6:20 pm CST

01/02 Wacky Resolutions

Finally, a new show.

I don't blame the guest that is scared of clowns or costumed characters, I NEED to see someone's face, for me hiding behind a mask is just plain CREEPY, I don't go into full fight or flight mode, only if they try to touch me, but otherwise I just walk by and don't even look at them.

Computers taking over the world ? Okay to be fair, we fear those things we don't understand, but I wonder where the idea of the mouse shocking her would kill her came from ?  I admit, I'm pretty useless if I can't just  "point and click", and I don't like to try new things ( the last time I did I crashed the silly thing, $200 and a new hard drive later, I'm back to "point and click" ), but I am taking a course to LEARN, and maybe that's what she needs.

Twenty two with a security blanket ? what's wrong with that, I'm 37, and cannot sleep without MY PILLOW, I take it EVERYWHERE I might be staying the night, yes even hotels, and I still have my childhood Teddy Bear, that sits on my bed, my husband thinks its funny.  Her fiance if he's the problem should just get over it, its a small thing.

Whew,

But the last guest, hey, if you can't walk the walk, then don't talk the talk.  If you're too lazy to do it, then Shut Up about it to other people, looking forward to the confession, but she should be warned, there might be some backlash.

Happy New Year to All

December 31, 2006, 9:02 am CST

New Year's Resolution Survey

I answered quit smoking but that was not my number one priority because it is a given.  I have the patches and I have to support my partner in his effort to fight the criminal addition (tobacco companies knowingly adding highly addictive chemicals) I could continue on that topic, like by saying that probably every community in the country have discussed where people cannot smoke.  Well, they tell you that you cannot do it, it is a proven killer but yet they are controlling from the wrong end of the stick.  Make them illegal.  They can no longer manufacture and sell a substance that you are not allowed to use in most public places.  If it (and I know it is) that bad that you cannot do it around others then it should not be allowed to manufacture it.  Marijuana is against the law.  Would it be legal if there was big special interest money behind it.  Wow, I got off on one there.  Anyway, My first 2007 resolution is to get organized.  I got a new shredder for Christmas and I am getting rid of my cable bills from 1976.  LOL.  Happy New Year Dr. Phil and Robin and family.  Happy New Year Everyone.  This was a real bad year for my family but I have to concentrate on the things  I am able to do instead of the stuff I gotta do.  Long story again. 

January 2, 2007, 7:55 am CST

Show pre-empted

I live in the northeast, NY to be exact, and today's (Tuesday's) Dr. Phil show has been pre-empted by Pres. Ford's funeral. Is there a chance this show will be re-run soon?

January 2, 2007, 10:26 am CST

Feedback more than one source

Quote From: ceildh1

Finally, a new show.

I don't blame the guest that is scared of clowns or costumed characters, I NEED to see someone's face, for me hiding behind a mask is just plain CREEPY, I don't go into full fight or flight mode, only if they try to touch me, but otherwise I just walk by and don't even look at them.

Computers taking over the world ? Okay to be fair, we fear those things we don't understand, but I wonder where the idea of the mouse shocking her would kill her came from ?  I admit, I'm pretty useless if I can't just  "point and click", and I don't like to try new things ( the last time I did I crashed the silly thing, $200 and a new hard drive later, I'm back to "point and click" ), but I am taking a course to LEARN, and maybe that's what she needs.

Twenty two with a security blanket ? what's wrong with that, I'm 37, and cannot sleep without MY PILLOW, I take it EVERYWHERE I might be staying the night, yes even hotels, and I still have my childhood Teddy Bear, that sits on my bed, my husband thinks its funny.  Her fiance if he's the problem should just get over it, its a small thing.

Whew,

But the last guest, hey, if you can't walk the walk, then don't talk the talk.  If you're too lazy to do it, then Shut Up about it to other people, looking forward to the confession, but she should be warned, there might be some backlash.

Happy New Year to All

Roosevelt had it right after WWII when he said "that the greatest  fear is fear itself" A group of PHD's in in mathematics, sociology, psychiatry and psychology  had  a  brainstorming  session  their conclusion was that "reality is just group hallucination" When it came to the events that led up toand followed 9/11one might wonder if this is correct. On one hand the "religions of the world can be a source of personal strength.
 Our knowledge of religions must go much deeper than that- relgions are a diamond
 mind on how individual fears, group behaviors and group dynamics.

For example I belong to Toastmasters International a group that works on social skills and speaking skills they have a safe environment to grow there. Example 2. Went to a Hymn sing sometime ago. I can improvise parts as I sing along. The director asked the group to great each other passionately. Well as I shook hands I remembered Dr. Phil's seal hug so I introduced myself with a handshake and a seal hug. The next thing I knew it was a big passionate frontal hug. I got so many of these hugs that my "cup runith over"
Contrast this with some political environments where even a tap on ones shoulder
could get one arrested for molestation one need to walk a "social tight rope" when
dealing with these groups. If I took all of my feedback from these groups  I would
probably be hugging more inanimate objects than my pillow and might be seeking
affection from socially unacceptable places.  Tears come to my eyes
when I realize that there are people that took most of their social feedback from these
hysteria filled political action groups and now they have to take "hug therapy"  to be
mormal again. Its not a terrible thing to be attached to an inanimate object but it
can't hug back there are lots of people that will hug if they feel comfortable about it.

I would suggest meeting other groups that are not "safe environments to grow   emotionally"
that way hugging your inantimate object will turn into real live hugs and you will desite the
inantimate object less and less.

A precautionary statement " group behavior  are not always sane get you group feedback
from a variety of groups" Be cautious around groups with political agendas that spread

January 2, 2007, 11:20 am CST

New Year's Resolutions were made to be broken

I don't make New Year's Resolutions...they're too easy to break, and I'm sorry, Dr. Phil, it takes more than 3 weeks to break a bad habit and replace it with a new one.  It is so easy to fall back to the old ways after regressing back to the old habits for a day...it is easy to feel that you "blew it", so back to the old ways it is.

The guest with the blankey...haven't seen the show yet...not until 3:00 this afternoon.  Maybe she could cut it to "hankey" size and keep it in her pocket, inconspicuously.  If she doesn't regularly wash it...she might want to, so it doesn't smell bad...that's what would drive the boyfriend away.  I've heard of people who can't get rid of the teddy bear in the bed...harmless, really, unless the blanket or teddy bear must accompany the person all day...must be weaned to nighttime only, or, like I said, cut it to pocket-size.

I've changed my ways, not from a New Year's resolution...just a committment to health...made on a June day, in 2005.  I have lost 50 pounds, and when I can make it a habit to exercise regularly, I will probably lose more...my cholesterol, which was way out of control, is now nearly normal.  I have a hereditary heart arrhythmia, which limits my exercise, but  I must do SOME exercise...I'll just have to remember that one day without it is not breaking my committment...I'll just have to resume the next day. 

The person who lectures about their lazy habits...try walking a mile in somebody else's shoes before judging and lecturing!!!  AND get a life!!!

January 2, 2007, 12:36 pm CST

Amazed

I continue to be amazed at people who are so out of touch with reality.  What kind of personalities do they have?  Are they so insecure they must resort to these kinds of attention getters?  Can't they stand on their on 2 feet without a therapist's help?  Studies show that just a 30 minute walk every day does as much or more good than therapy or pills.  This country is way overmedicated.  Throw the pills and TV away and get off the couch and outside!  I work in my yard or go for a walk every day - even in the rain!  None of us were ever promised an easy life.  Get over it and move on.  My grandmother only allowed us a 20 minute pity party.  After that, we had to get up and go on.  A philosophy that has served me well in my 57 years.

January 2, 2007, 1:01 pm CST

fuzzy creatures

I can relate to the lady that had the fear of fuzzy/furry creatures.  I have a major fear of wigs.  I can fix or handle real hair all day long, but cannot touch wigs.  If I'm around someone with one on, I'm like a radar detector, I can sense it and start breathing  real fast.  I can't explain why, I've always wandered as a matter of fact.  I don't have a problem with dogs, I have 2 loveable bassett hounds and they don't bother me, but any fake fur or hair I have a big problem with.  I've always been this way.  I won't admit it to my husband, b/c I know he'll try to trick me and I don't think I can handle it.  I'd like to know what Dr. Lawlis done to help her overcome her fear.  I missed part of the show, but did see the end.

January 2, 2007, 1:51 pm CST

AMEN!!

Quote From: ceildh1

Finally, a new show.

Whew,

Happy New Year to All

I'm 32 and I have a blanket.  Granted, mine is washable and certainly looks nothing like the gals from the show today.  LOL!

I was married at 19, divorced at 22....remarried at 25 and have been married now 7 years.  I've had my blanket with me on two honeymoons, Hawaii and Cancun....and yes, it goes everywhere where I stay overnight as well.  Oh, forgot..it's been in the labor and delivery room during the birth of my two children!   WHATS wrong with that?!  I think that the new fiance is the one with the problem!  If it bothers her, then that's fine, she should do something about it THEN.  But, if she's been pushed to do something about her blanket because HE doesnt like it - that's not right at all.    It is a very small thing. 

January 2, 2007, 1:58 pm CST

My family can relate

I am terrified of clowns.  I am 39 years old and when I see a clown or a clown gets close to me I get very nervous and my hands start to sweat.  I just want to run away.

My daughter is 18 years old.  She will be 19 this month.  She has a snoopy pillow.  She has had this pillow for the last 16 years.  She still sleeps with it.  No one is allowed to touch it.  I saw the young lady on the show today and thought about my daughter and myself.  I am glad  that their are other people out there with the same phobias.

January 2, 2007, 2:22 pm CST

01/02 Wacky Resolutions

i was just wondering how i could lose weight and stop lying if anyone has any diet plans or could help me email me at cod_man_65@hotmail.com

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last