Message Boards

Topic : 01/15 The Dr. Phil House: Teen Intervention, Part 2

Number of Replies: 721
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 12, 2007, 02:20:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The story continues of a 14-year-old girl whose family feared she could end up dead if Dr. Phil didn’t intervene. Alex had been running away, stealing and prostituting herself to men nearly twice her age. Dr. Phil moved Alex; her mother, Kim; her aunt, Enza; and her grandmother, Jeanette, into The Dr. Phil House for this teen intervention. Cameras capture Enza having an inappropriate conversation with Alex, and then starting a fight with Kim in front of the teen. Is the family dynamic the cause of Alex’s behavior? See what leaves Dr. Phil speechless. Next, Alex is sent to a health clinic to be thoroughly tested for sexually transmitted diseases. Dr. Phil and Alex have a one-on-one talk before her test results are revealed. Will Alex’s test results be her wake-up call? Then, Dr. Phil sits down with the two fighting women and shows a video clip that leaves Kim shocked and looking to her sister-in-law for an explanation. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 12, 2007, 3:51 pm CST

Looking forward to the show...

I so hope that this story has a happy ending. (Or should I say a happy "new beginning"?) I'm sure Dr. Phil can get Enza under control. I feel that she has brought the problem out into the open by being loud and insistent. She needs to back off now. I think Alex's mother may need some rehab for the drinking. On the outside looking in, it seems like this has a good chance of working out really well. I am the eternal optimist.

January 12, 2007, 9:06 pm CST

Enza needs an intervention of her own

We understand that Alex and her mother have their issues, which we are confident Dr Phil will help settle, but Enza obvious is the one of the group most in need of help.  She is emotionally disfunctional and in desperate need of looking inside of her own character defects.  She is clearly over-focused on others and needs to grow up out of her high school years behavior of the "freakin'" drama, the "freakin" gossip, and the "freakin" backstabbing before she can even start trippin' on Kim's troubled past. 

Sincerely,

Cheryn  S. & Mikaela S.

(mother and 15 year old daughter)

January 13, 2007, 7:56 am CST

Scary results.

I hope her test results come up clean.  That would be really embarrasing to reveal that she has HIV or some other STD on national television.  I really pray that she gets a clean slate and realizes how lucky that is and not put her body or anyone elses at risk again. 

January 13, 2007, 8:13 am CST

Enza

I HAVEN'T BEEN REALLY WATCHING THIS EPISODE, BUT FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN, I PERSONALLY THINK THAT ENZA NEEDS TO GET HERSELF UNDER CONTROL AND INTERVENTION. EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN PROBLEMS WITHOUT HER STICKING HER NOSE IN IT. I THINK IF SHE WAS TO BACK OFF THAT KIM AND HER DAUGHTER COULD WORK THINGS OUT(WITH DR.PHIL'S HELP THAT IS)AND HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WORTH THE FIGHT.  AS FOR THE TEEN GIRL, SHE NEEDS A DESPRATE WAKE UP CALL. I CLEARLY THINK SHE IS ACTING OUT BECAUSE SHE NEEDS THE ATTENTION OF HER MOM BUT HER MOM NEEDS TO GET A REALITY CK ABOUT HER DRINKING AND GET IT UNDER CONTROL AND FOCUS ON HER DAUGTHER MORE. THIS GIRL IS CLEARLY CRYIN OUT AND NO ONE SEEMS TO BE LISTENING TO HER INSTEAD THEY'RE WORRIED WITH EACH OTHER. THIS GIRL(NOT WOMAN)SHOULD NOT BE MAKING A WOMAN'S DECISION SHE'S NOT AN ADULT AND HER RUNNING AWAY AND DOING OTHER THINGS IS TOTALLY OFF BALANCE. SHE DOESN'T NEED TO BE PROSTITUTING MUCH LESS HAVING SEX. WHAT IF SHE GOT PREG. AND THEN A BABY WOULD BE BROUGHT INTO ALL THIS DRAMA WHICH I CLEARLY SEE AS DRAMA..EVERYONE NEEDS TO STOP INTERFERRING(EXCEPT DR. PHIL WHO CLEARLY KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING HERE)AND LET THE MOTHER AND I REPEAT MOTHER RAISE HER CHILD...BUT FIRST SHE NEEDS TO GET HERSELF UNDERCONTROL NOT FOR HERSELF IF DOESN'T WANT TOO, BUT FOR HER DAUGHTER.

January 13, 2007, 10:20 am CST

Missing pieces

There seems to be some missing pieces to this story. Where is the dad? I'm guessing that Enza is his sister. And what does Enza have to do with it other than the fact that she wrote the letter to Dr. Phil? It would seem to me that the person who bears the responsibility, in this case, the mother, should be the person receiving the guidance. It is not the least bit clear that Enza has Alex's best interests at heart. At times she refers to her with the same insulting names that she uses for her mother. I really question her presence in the Dr. Phil House.

January 13, 2007, 11:29 am CST

I cant agree with you more.

Quote From: cheryns

We understand that Alex and her mother have their issues, which we are confident Dr Phil will help settle, but Enza obvious is the one of the group most in need of help.  She is emotionally disfunctional and in desperate need of looking inside of her own character defects.  She is clearly over-focused on others and needs to grow up out of her high school years behavior of the "freakin'" drama, the "freakin" gossip, and the "freakin" backstabbing before she can even start trippin' on Kim's troubled past. 

Sincerely,

Cheryn  S. & Mikaela S.

(mother and 15 year old daughter)

Enza has problems, it is clear to see that Enza has something against  Alex's mother. If Enza knew for years that the mother has problems and truly does care about Alex, then why didn't she try to help the mother instead of trying to turn Alex against her mother? Enza needs to get her own help or stay out of their lives. There is allot to do now and Enza is only going to make things worse. I think that Dr. Phil should give Enza an ultimatum, either tell her she has to seek counseling for herself to find out why the heck she is trying to make Alex think that she is better than her own mother or get the heck out of the house and never have any contact with Alex and her mother again. Enza is only making things worse. She seems to be like a jealous ex.  Like a husbands ex-wife acts to win over her children because she is jealous of  the relationship that the children and the step- mother have. Or a step- mother that is trying to win over the step-daughter by talking trash against the biological mother to win her over. I believe that all people need a little help and Enza is one of them.

January 13, 2007, 11:50 am CST

where the focus really should be

Of course we all know that Dr. Phil will save the day for these people to the best of his ability (how willing they are to accept his advice and follow through with the changes that need to be made remain to be seen).  However, the old saying "a family is only as happy as it's unhappiest member" really applies here - figuring out which one of these women is the unhappiest is the challenge.

My wish for these women is that they will all be open and accepting to the advice they receive.

I also think that it's important for each of them to be accountable for what their personal behaviour is doing to the health and happiness of the others in the group. 

In watching the group, one thing that's really evident is that the fighting  styles are very different and that causes the Enza/Kim issue.  Neither of them is wrong, however, if you look closely at what  Kim's mom is doing - she's in the background, quietly processing and is not confrontational (at least not that we've seen)  that seems to be the way that Kim is dealing with things as well - she isn't all that confrontational and seems to be processing the situation.  One could look at her reactions and say that she's not passionate enough - however, I think she's very passionate on the inside, but her fighting style is different.

Enza is very passionate, likes to shout and beat her chest, and doesn't look like she's processing things very carefully, but that would be an incorrect assumption, too.  She processes quickly and knows in her gut how things are making her feel, and then is quick to let everyone know what she has decided.

The two women could actually be very helpful to this troubled teen if they could find a balanced way of arguing.

At the moment, though, it feels like the daughter/neice/granddaughter is getting lost behind all  the emotional turmoil being generated by the mom/aunt/grandma.  Alex doesn't seem to know which way to turn for the attention she needs, so she's creating a very grandiose situation that is far too serious to be ignored.

I have every faith that Dr. Phil can help these women to see that their efforts need to be focused on the real problem, which is the pain that all four are living in and perpetuating on each other.  This life they're living shouldn't be a competition to see which of them is in the most pain or feeling the most frustration.  It really should be about celebrating their chance to be together as a group for whatever brief moment in time that they have here. 

Good luck to all concerned!

January 13, 2007, 12:41 pm CST

ENZA

i Feel that Enza needs to stay out of their problem as it isnt any of her business even tho she is related. I get the feeling she is a trouble maker and may have problems of her own.  Sadly the fact is there are people who arent happy unless they are causing trouble. Why a person would want to be that way I dont have a clue.  I do know the mother needs help with her drinking but she is still her mother. Keep Enza out of it for petes sake and help the mother. We all have skeletons in our closets and we all make mistakes but thank the Lord we dont have an Enza in the closet with us. I see Enza as having a very strong personality and any teenager is going to be swayed by that. Heck sometimes even some adults cant fight against a person like that. To Dr. Phil  GET ENZA OUT OF THE RELATIONSHIP.

January 13, 2007, 12:51 pm CST

missing piecs

Quote From: sblisa

There seems to be some missing pieces to this story. Where is the dad? I'm guessing that Enza is his sister. And what does Enza have to do with it other than the fact that she wrote the letter to Dr. Phil? It would seem to me that the person who bears the responsibility, in this case, the mother, should be the person receiving the guidance. It is not the least bit clear that Enza has Alex's best interests at heart. At times she refers to her with the same insulting names that she uses for her mother. I really question her presence in the Dr. Phil House.

I couldn't agree with you more on both accounts:  where's the Dad and the presence of Enza in this intervention.  Enza's personality is very poisonous, in my opinion, to both the mother and daughter.  I hope Dr. Phil will give us a good explanation or reason why Enza is included in this intervention. 

January 13, 2007, 1:43 pm CST

Ensa is crazy!

If Ensa has this girls best intrest at heart then she should do something that helps, like being supportive that they are here and trying to do the best they can for this young girl. Ensa seems more intent on being right, or trying to prove she is a better person and mother then Kim. She seems to like to just want to kick a person when they are down and to get

Alex to "like" her better then her own mother! Dr. Phil,i hope you will teach Ensa which end is up! That woman needs to have her mouth taped shut with duct tape!!!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last