Message Boards

Topic : 02/01 A Difficult Reunion – Part 1

Number of Replies: 193
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 26, 2007, 01:59:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil follows the continuing story of Erica, who as a little girl survived the unthinkable. At just 2 years old, she witnessed her father, Mark, murder her mother. Her father spent nearly two decades behind bars for this heinous crime. Now that he has been released from prison, Erica will be reunited with him -- the father who murdered her own mother -- for the first time in over 20 years. In the first of two parts, Dr. Phil arranges a powerful reunion that Erica hopes will bring answers, but instead raises many more questions. When Erica's curiosity turns to anger, her emotions are too much for Mark to bear, and he walks right off the Dr. Phil stage! Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 2, 2007, 2:12 pm CST

They ALL need help

As far as I'm concerned...I am proud of Mark for what he has come to be able to do.  He was a man to be there and to face his daughters.  On Thursday's show, he admitted WITH remorse that he did kill his wife.  He was open.  He responded.  He was sensitive. 

I've not been where the girl is...but, I understand that she's upset, hurt - everything.  But for this family to work, she has to give too.  I do think Dr. Phil pushed it a bit...I admire Dr. P....but, I was a bit disappointed in him as I watched the show. 

I feel like Mark was giving to his daughter....and as far as the other daughter, she doesn't want anything to do with Mark, so she should just keep herself out of it if that's the way she wants it! 

We'll see what happens on today's show...

February 2, 2007, 2:34 pm CST

Stay Strong

Quote From: worriedgrandma

No one knows how they would feel.  All we know is you have lost your mother and your father seems disgusting.

I will watch it tomorrow and have only viewed the preview.  I give Dr Phil credit for dealing such topics as abuse.  As with Kaylee;s situation, this one is extremely sad.

I send my prayers and best wishes.  I do not think anyone is anywhere except on your side and as just stating that they don't understand.  We can't understand but we can stand by you.  Everything I read hear tells me people are on your side and just cause they don't understand why you wanted to see him, does not mean they think anything is wrong with you, but that they don't feel he is entitle to any of your time.

God bless you and all victims of abuse everyway. 

I think I understood what you were saying.  I was/am behind you.  I think you are very strong for wanting to meet up with your dad.  I feel like there's lots of healing that could happen, and with God's help in the situation - you could have a pretty cool relationship.  Hard, yes.  Struggles, yes.  But, we all have them with our parents.  Hang in there!  Stay strong.  Continue on with your feelings, not Dr. Phil's, not your aunts, not your sisters, not your community - YOURS!  God will guide you, if you listen, you'll know.  It's a crazy situation, but...with guidance, couseling and healing - I think your relastionship with your dad has a great chance!

February 2, 2007, 2:43 pm CST

To Erica

Erica,

What happened to us girl we used to be so close i have missed ya alot. I gotta come forward today cause stan told me about dr. phil and i just broke down i knew some of the stuff ya used to tell me and understand why ya did the things ya did. Erica i totally missed judged you hope one day ya can forgive me i do miss ya  cause after watching today's show my heart goes out to ya girl.  I am proud of you for finally getting the courage to do this. Trina is a good influence on ya  if it wasn't for me ya guys would of never met :)

I would of never forgave my father if he did that i still haven't forgave mine for hurting my mother. i just want to let ya know i watched this and thinking of you. Hope things work out but do watch your back  cause i would never trust him. Tell rachel i loved what she said lol  call me if ya want. Miss ya.

Cheryl WI

February 2, 2007, 2:55 pm CST

02/01 A Difficult Reunion – Part 1

Quote From: lilkimyak

I really do not understand her. I would not want to see him. I'm sure she has built up anger and rage, It might come out in the wrong way. From the tid bits i've seen of him so far. He does not care. What a waste of a man. Drugs he says. Come on Buddy. You have kids. What was he thinking?? I cannot wait to find out.
Give the man a break!  I think he's trying to make strides.  You try being in jail for 20 years and then getting out and trying to figure out what to do.  If God thought we were all wastes, where would you be?  Let's see what happens after this show, in the months to come.  Erica's going to be the one to be healed if she sticks it through and Dr. Phil and the familly's plan works.....

February 2, 2007, 3:10 pm CST

Why are ya all proud of Mark he was the one that killed their mother ? man I am proud of Erica for doing this i never would forgive him if it were me shows erica has a good heart. Sorry i mis judged ya erica ,

Cheryl

February 2, 2007, 4:53 pm CST

Is Rachel supporting her sister?

It's really sad that Rachel continues to say she supports her sister's decision, but at every turn she appears to try to make Erica feel sorry for her.  "I was four years old and I remember everything."  Does she have to keep saying that in front of Erika to get her to turn completely against her father. Also, how much does a four year old remember?  I'm sure that somethings would be remembered because of the terrible impact left on one's life, but a four year old would have no concept of what four hours is. I truly believe that Rachel has had her head filled with things from other family members.   I really think at this time, if Rachel has anything to do with it, Erica wil not have a relationship with her father because her sister will sabotage it.  Rachel needs to back out of the picture if she doesn't want anything to do with her father and let Erica move ahead with counseling with her father.  Drugs do terrible things to a person and make a person do things they wouldn't normally do.  I believe Erica needs to understand why her father turned to drugs in the first place and what it was really like for him at that time.  I am not excusing his actions, but drugs could explain them somewhat.  Yesterday Dr. Phil didn't seem to impress upon anyone what horrible things drugs can do to a person and those around them.  In fact, I felt he was extremely hard on Mark and I was disappointed in the way he handled the situation.  I can't blame Mark  for walking off the stage.  At least today Dr. Phil did give him credit for entering rehab and coming to the show for his daughter.  I'm sure he would have prefered to have done this privately, but this is what she wanted.  Erica, he has apologized over and over again.  It's time to accept his apology and move on with your life.  Pllease do not let your sister or anyone else make you feel you are wrong for wanting a relationship with your father.  Go to counseling, take the baby steps you both talked about and give him another chance.  He is your father and he does love you.  I feel he proved this by airing this on national TV.  I truly believe the man is sincere and you can have such a positive impact on his life as you already have by getting him to go to rehab.  God Bless you all.  You are a very strong woman.  Stay strong.

February 2, 2007, 4:54 pm CST

Quote From: schlish

Give the man a break!  I think he's trying to make strides.  You try being in jail for 20 years and then getting out and trying to figure out what to do.  If God thought we were all wastes, where would you be?  Let's see what happens after this show, in the months to come.  Erica's going to be the one to be healed if she sticks it through and Dr. Phil and the familly's plan works.....

give her father a break wow seriously? he is in jail cause he killed her mother come one.  I hope and pray eric will be healed she and her family suffered enough i would never forgave him  that's for sure erica has a kind heart

February 2, 2007, 5:08 pm CST

Quote From: schlish

As far as I'm concerned...I am proud of Mark for what he has come to be able to do.  He was a man to be there and to face his daughters.  On Thursday's show, he admitted WITH remorse that he did kill his wife.  He was open.  He responded.  He was sensitive. 

I've not been where the girl is...but, I understand that she's upset, hurt - everything.  But for this family to work, she has to give too.  I do think Dr. Phil pushed it a bit...I admire Dr. P....but, I was a bit disappointed in him as I watched the show. 

I feel like Mark was giving to his daughter....and as far as the other daughter, she doesn't want anything to do with Mark, so she should just keep herself out of it if that's the way she wants it! 

We'll see what happens on today's show...

I agree whole hearedly with you.  I do not excuse Mark's actions but he has served his time and I believe really would like to have a relationship with his daughter.  In fact, I think he would welcome a relationship with both of his daughters but at this time Rachel needs to back off and stop pretending to be supporting her sister.  She seems to be doing every thing she can to convince her sister he is not worth forgiving.  If she does not want a relationship, fine, but back off.  I also admire Dr. Phil but was disappointed in him in the first part of the show.  However, he did redeem himself today by stressing that Mark went to rehab and came to the show for his daughter.  Robin was terrific, because she tried to get Rachel to see that she needs to support Erica.  I'm not sure she was very successful.  Rachel said several times she's through with him.

So how can she be supportive?

February 2, 2007, 8:42 pm CST

Change

I have been watching this unfold. I hope these girls are being educated on  what drugs to a persons mind.  There is no way this man could tell these girls what they want to hear if he was on drugs 20 years ago. He is not going to remember or see the reality of what he did 20 years ago with a druged up mind.  It isn't going to happen. And someone needs to explain that to the other relatives.   They seem to be trying to push him to remember things he just won't be able to no matter how much they push him. Drugs mess up your mind and your view of reality when on them.  I completely understand the anger of the older daughter, and her Aunt. But, they both need to understand he will never be able to give them what they want.  It will never make sense, nor will he ever remember it like they do because his brain was fried on drugs.

February 2, 2007, 11:47 pm CST

Drugs and Alcohol are excuses not causes

Alot of people do drugs and never kill someone!

Alot of people drink and are alcoholics and aren't violent!

Plenty of people have been violent and solber!

So don't  let this guy get away with blaming it on the drugs!

The inclination to do violence was there regardless of the drugs or alcohol!

Ultimatlely he has to face the fact that, drunk, sober or inbetween he is responsible for killing his wife!

Because he has a sociopathic tendency he will never take total responsibility for his actions! It helps him to continue his addictions!  He cares about one thing himself!

He is a master manipulator.  And he ought to be he has had it reinforced in a prison setting!

The only reason he is even cleaned up from the drugs is so he could be on this program!  Read the written history to these programs!

Gauranteed he is already back on the drugs and alcohol!

What is sadder, now he will be more inclined to bug his daughters!

There is no making up with this man!

Forgiving yes for your own sake, forgetting however is NOT a wise thing to do!

Both those girls have been traumatized!

Personally I wouldn't waste my time with the man!  He is another heartbreak waiting to happen!

First | Prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | Next | Last