Message Boards

Topic : 03/05 Anna and Britney: Behind the Headlines

Number of Replies: 541
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 02, 2007, 12:00:40 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Two Hollywood stars, two incredible sagas that have captivated the nation. Dr. Phil takes you inside the drama surrounding Anna Nicole Smith and Britney Spears. Anna Nicole’s story is one of the most bizarre celebrity cases with unbelievable twists and turns: a beautiful but troubled model, a headline-grabbing pregnancy, the shocking death of her beloved son … culminating in the actress’s untimely demise. Pat O’Brien, host of The Insider, has known Anna Nicole for eight years and shares what it was like spending time with her during her last days. Next up, Alex Goen, CEO of Trimspa, weighs in on the death of his company’s spokesperson. Then, some argue that Britney Spears’ recent behavior—leaving rehab after one day, shaving her head bald, and angrily brandishing an umbrella—indicates that the pop star is in a tragic downward spiral. Frank Griffin, a celebrity photographer, has captured Britney’s public pain through his lens. Are the paparazzi partially responsible for driving this young star to the brink?  Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 4, 2007, 2:23 pm CST

Anna and Britney

I think that Anna was always exploited so that she grew to accept that exploitation as part of a normal lifestyle and abused herself with dieting and drugs. I feel sorry for the baby Danielynn because no matter who her father is, she will always have a tough life due to the inheritance she gets from her mother and she'll be burdened and used  by many if she's not looked after properly.

I truly believe either Zsa Zsa's hubby, Howard or her deceased billionare hubby fathered Danielynn. She could've had invitro with his sperm as well and only the DNA from the men who are alive is being compared to Danielynn. Wouldn't it be surprising to find that she had a child to none of these men? Then someone would have to be appointed by the courts to handle the finances of this child. And who is she with now and who does she call Daddy? That's another issue to deal with, the confusion of this innocent baby who will grow up someday.

As for Britney, I understand that between her being lied to and her lying to herself she just had some temporary insanity which resulted in her breakdown. She needs help for depression and needs to refocus her life on what is truly important to her and have a support system that won't let her down.

If she's on drugs or alcohol bad, she truly needs rehab. She deserves to be treated with respect, no matter how she may have behaved recently and people should understand that she was brought up to believe in the fairytale happy ending and she made some bad choices and is distraught because she got exploited and exploited herself poorly. Her little boys deserve for her to be healthy and supported and need support too since Daddy is a cheating whore and not around enough also.

I think if she steps away from the media and moves away to a state where she isn't being hounded constantly and she refocuses herself, she will do fine, but she needs to accept that her career is over and deal with being a mom and deserves all the support from friends and family that she can have. I think she don't have any friends, true friends anymore and it's killing her spirit. I've been in that lonely place and she's reaching out, but she's not finding any help.

March 4, 2007, 2:23 pm CST

Not Necessarily

Quote From: penny_lady

"(I don't  watch those shows)."

You do now apparently! LOL

All you have to do is catch the promos for the shows such as ET and Inside Edition (they usually run on the 6PM local newscasts) or let your eyes rest on a magazine rack at the checkout in your local grocery or big-box retailer to be aware of the notoriety of Britney, AN, et al. You'd almost have to have been living under a rock for the last 15 years not to know who either of these women is.

Unfortunately, the line has been blurred between the public/private lives of celebs, owing to a 24/7 entertainment news cycle...it's no longer just weekly gossip columns in a newspaper, or even a tabloid or 2, plus People magazine. To a certain extent, these folks have put themselves out in the public eye, so maybe their private lives get more "news" coverage than they should. [I can remember about 15 or 20 years ago Ted Koppel bemoaning the "Vanna-ization" (his term) of our society; it's only gotten more pronounced.] Beyond a certain point, however, I agree with you, Britney's rehab and the fight over AN's daughter (e.g.) deserve to be left out of the public square.

That said, I sincerely hope that this show is more than just more of the same sensationalism that we've seen already.

March 4, 2007, 2:51 pm CST

why are we so facinated?

i noticed in reading this preview that there is a show coming up about people who are pushing their children to stardom, some "at all costs".... maybe they should look at the lives and deaths of these women and some others as well, before they make up their mind that stardom is the pinnacle of achievement for their kids....  maybe these 2 shows should be a 2 hour special!!!  undoubtedly SOMEONE saw brittany's talent and knew she would be a star,  did it not occur to anyone to prepare her, give her guidance about life love disappointment strength etc????? 

where were the tears for anna nicole when the whole world could see she was a trainwreck?

we comment (i include myself) on these people as if we know them, which most of us dont, but one thing i do know, as a country in general, we are not preparing our children for life...

March 4, 2007, 2:57 pm CST

Why

It just boggles the mind to think that the most important things going on in the world are Anna and Britney. You turn on the tv  and all you see are these stories. It really bothers me when reporters can go to the beach near Miami and show tourists photos of Anna Nicole Smith, John Couey and Jessica Lunsford and the only photo they recognize is Anna Nicole. It may be because I am from that small town that Jessica lived in, but come on. . .

March 4, 2007, 3:20 pm CST

03/05 Anna and Britney: Behind the Headlines

Quote From: bible12

It is sad about Anna! Hope the baby gets taken care of!!  As for Britney I use to be a huge fan of hers. I loved her music,  But now what has happened to her! She has really messed her self up!  All that drinking and partying. Oh ya shaved her head! What was she thinking! She messed up her looks for sure!!  Also messed up her life! Praying for her! She  needs Jesus in her life!!

your screen name indicates chrisian, your comment to someone regarding their language indicates judgement... which doesnt belong to you.....

you love brittany's music, which is secular and mostly very provocative, and you have a half naked man as your pic in your profile...... and you are praying for brittney, which is great, but......

be very careful, this is what gives Christians a bad rap.... Too many of us speak from both sides of the river and it causes the world to see you as a hypocrite and therefore, your witness suffers...

i would at least change the picture if i were you.

March 4, 2007, 3:42 pm CST

Briteny

I never was a huge fan of Britney Spears but I am a fan of anyone who can admit that they need help and get the help tthey need.  Hopefully she does get that help. I have a few relatives who have addictions but of course they won't admit it and will not get help.  It's sad really,  they are missing out on a lot of things that matter.  I think Britney will be able to fight her way back from this.  I'm sure it won't be easy.   I'm going to pray for her.

March 4, 2007, 3:46 pm CST

I'm worried about Britney.

Britney's life is pretty much laid out for us to see in the tabloids. I hope that she will get some help and get her life on track. I've heard that it's not unusual for people to check out of rehab that quickly. If I were Britney I'd be afraid that my ex would use this against me to try and get the kids. If she was my daughter I'd be scared that something really bad could happen to her. With AN it's hard for me to sort out what's true and what's not. When I heard that she had a temp. of 105 right before her death I was stunned.(is that really true?) That is a very high fever for an adult. What caused it? It was said that they didn't take her to the emergency room to avoid publicity. My heavens! Why was more not made of that? Well it's too late now, but if I was AN's mother I swear I think I'd be asking questions about that . AN seemed to have a complicated lifestyle. But still and all she was a human being and she didn't seem to have any real friends or family left. It seems that ,in life, she was surrounded by people who didn't truly have her best interests in mind. Suddenly in death everyone is stepping up. Where were they when she REALLY needed them?

March 4, 2007, 3:52 pm CST

Messed up women who need to seek help!

I think it is horrible what happened to Anna Nicole Smith and find it hard to imagine why she was not brought to a hospital or why she even made the trip with her health so bad.  She must have had horrible depression from losing her son and probably felt like she could not be happy about her little girl's birth without feeling guilty about being happy.  I hope her daughter is well taken care of and examined by medical professionals.  It does appear from the hundreds of photos shown in the past 3 weeks, that she and Howard K. Stearn obviously had a trusting and obviously loving relationship.  I think she was, as has been said, a head strong woman who did what she wanted, and Howard K. Stearn knew when to step back.  When someone is on a path of self destruction, it is almost always impossible to get that person help until they are willing to accept it.  It is not up to me to judge what was or was not done by her family and friends but the little daughter can and should be spared of the negative comments that have been made about her mother.  She will read about these comments one day, and it will not serve her self-esteem to read statements that the husband of Zsa Zsa Gabor has made regarding the potential number of fathers.  It is horrible that there has been such a bunch of money hungry people following this sad story and are trying to make money off of it now.  And, don't even get me started on the father of her son Daniel, who now wants his "son" who he did not spend that much time with exhumed when the 2 of them are finally resting in Peace.  They are both in God's hands now, and they should be left alone.  Moving the bodies is not going to bring anyone happiness.  It is a control issue it seems...

That being said, I do not necessairly agree with her lifestyle choices, and thought all throughout her career that she must have suffered from terribly low self esteem, even though she put forth a good facade for the cameras.  Obviously, there must have been some issues in her past to have made her as outspoken, strong willed (which cannot be viewed as all bad since she stood up for her rights as a wife and "won"), and have "apparent" issues with substance abuse.  After her son passed away so suddenly, I was really pulling for her to be able to find happiness in her life with her little baby girl regardless of the disposition of her late husband's estate.

Regarding Brittany Spears; I have long been concerned of the negative effect on our young girls, inlcluding my young 8 year old grandchild (who is now 13) who used to act out Brittany's sexually explicit moves while singing her songs.  Of course, it was obviously inappropriate for her mother to allow her to watch M-TV at such a young age, but that of course is another issue all together.

I feel sad that the young girls of  today have the likes of Brittany Spears, Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie to be looked up to as "role models".  It is horrible that the media overexposes these young girls to such a negative attention after all these years of so called enlightment and forward thinking.  Not only do these 3 young women exhibit extreme examples of self-centeredness, the self-absorbed party girl with questionable dress and morals, but they have been put up on a sick pedistal for our youth to try to emulate.  These young women obviously enjoy the over exposure that their actions garner and that should be examined. 

If we cared about our youth, we would develop more healthy role models for them, including boys, and not encourage our 6-8 year old girls to dress as if they just walked off M-TV.  When I hear of some of the infighting between these young women,  the all night partying, the photos of them pantyless, the sex tapes, the complete disregard for even their own self respect, I wonder why society today does not ask the obvious question...Where are their parents and what were they thinking to allow their behavior to be acceptable and to garner such notarity?

It reeks of classless, money hungry parents who have exploited their children and have never exercised any control over their actions.  When we accept the their inappropriate behavior as normal, it really makes us all a Jerry Springer society, which is disheartening.  These women make trailer trash look good!  I think Paris Hilton's recent remarks discovered on tape, in addition to her sex tapes, should have put some clue into her parents that they had failed miserably as parents to raise a young woman with even a clue as to what a positive effect she could be in this world with her money.  But this explain why trust funders who inherit millions of dollars have so many negative issues in adult life. 

I hope Dr. Phil, that you and Robin can use these 2 examples as a way for the country to try to reach out to society to raise the bar of behavior expectations from the role models that we put forth for our youth.  I think this should be a wake up call, not only for Brittany, Nicolle, Paris, and the other young actress in rehab that starred in the Herbie movie and Freaky Friday (which most of our youths are familiar with) but for our parents and grandparents as well.  We must expect more or society will only continue to crubble into this self-serving selfishness. 

There are serious issues out there that need attention paid rather than make tv ratings with series as "The Simple Life", etc.  Let's expect more from our television and movie producers as well, ya think?

I hope all of these young women get the help that they so desparetly need to lead a more positive and healthier lifestyle and that they can reach out to others in this world with their wealth and fame in a more positive mode in the future.

March 4, 2007, 4:00 pm CST

Like a moth to a flame.

Quote From: dixiebell

It truly breaks my heart that these two tragic figures are all that America has to be captivated by.  This is what happens to people when "GOD" is removed from EVERYTHING.  There remains nothing to give people hope and they become very selfcentered and self serving, what else is there for them.  I am very sorry that these two young women along with most of the rest of the young women both older and younger than these two have been sexualized and commercialized to the point that they feel they must LOOK perfect and be SEX symbols in order to BE HAPPY in todays society, yet they can't seem to see that neither of these makes them happy.  American parents are no longer parents, they have become FRIENDS to their children with no direction for themselves much less directions to give to the children.   Both these young ladies are sad stories and I for one will continue to pray for Brittany that she sees the truth before it is too late for her as it is for Anna Nichole.

I have to admit that I watch a lot of t.v. I found myself drawn to the AN story. To me it's terribly sad, yet facinating at the same time. I also read all the time. I guess it's kind of like having a true life mystrey being shown on t.v. I have never been a big Britney fan, simply because of my age. But it would be hard not to know who she is. I find that I'm captivated by pretty much everything. (DrPhil, Face the Nation. Meet the Press, my local news, Katie Couric and the nightly news, The Early Show,Law and Order, all of the CSI shows, David Letterman. football, basketball, Access Hollywood, Inside Addition, Jeopardy, Dateline, 60 Minutes, planting flowers, cats,dogs, and Lord help me I'm pretty much addicted to these messageboards.

March 4, 2007, 4:05 pm CST

Too much

I have had quite enough of these two stories. How did we all lose touch with the important people and happenings in our lives to have to live vicariously through the tabloid medium. This just proves that, even in death, there is no dignity left. I would rather participate in life than view someone elses horror. If we were all less interested in the tabloid rags, maybe Princess Diana would still be alive and enjoying her children. Shame on us and the people who make their livings by stalking and exploiting these people. Enough of poor Anna, Britney, Lindsey and Paris. If I never heard anything about these people it would be too soon.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last