Message Boards

Topic : 03/06 To Be a Child Star

Number of Replies: 113
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 02, 2007, 12:02:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Thousands of kids hope to make it big in Hollywood every year – from dancing, to modeling, to singing, to acting. Many parents sacrifice a lot of money and time to see them realize their dreams, sometimes to the detriment of the rest of the family. But are the sacrifices worth it? Dr. Phil’s first guest, Lisa, says they are. She is dying to get her 13-year-old daughter, Brittany, in the limelight, and is willing to help her daughter reach her goals “at any cost.” Lisa’s twin sister, Katina, and her mother, Veronica, think Lisa is pushing Brittany too hard, and is trying to live her own dreams through her daughter since Lisa never made it as a child star. Then, meet a couple who says they are raising the next headliner: their 11-year-old daughter, Mary Sarah. But are they leaving their other children behind? One of their kids moved out of the house just to make a point! How can they find balance in their family and still help their star-in-the-making? Next, why one mother’s victory over breast cancer inspired her to do anything to make her 13-year-old daughter, Briana, a country music sensation. But is it putting Briana’s health at risk? And does she have a chance? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 14, 2007, 10:36 pm CDT

Dr. Phil's reaction

Quote From: jennifer808

Dr. Phil, I really think you missed the boat on the "To be a child star" episode. As I sat watching for an hour, I kept waiting and waiting for you to bring up the issue of the narcissism that these children will develop due to the extent their parents go through to "help" them!  As you know, narcissism is a growing problem among our youth & attitudes like these parents have is certainly part of the problem.

For a child to grow up in a home where the dominant message is "you are more important than anyone or anything else in this family" can not possibly be healthy for ANY child.  You spoke of balance, but I didn't actually hear you talk about balance for the child in terms of their ability to be (or lessons in becoming) giving, charitable, and selfless.

My guess is that the second any of these parents tell their future stars that they are no longer going to be the hub of the family, they would trow a tantrum and be devastated. These parents are really setting these kids up because the world will eventually not revolve around them as it does right now.

Children are by nature narcissistic, these parents seem to be unwittingly feeding this without realizing where this could lead for their child in the future. One of our jobs as parents is to teach our little ones to care for themselves, but also to think of others, these parents are certainly NOT doing their job in that arena.
I believe if you wait until after tomorrow's show, you will find that Dr. Phil will be addressing all of the issues :)

May 16, 2007, 12:32 pm CDT

odd

hahahaha everyone wants to be a "star!" Everyone wants to be famous. Give me a break. These parents think their kids are perfect as all parents do. These parents wanted to be famous as the rest of us do! We're just not as sick in the head as these people are. I got an idea--instead of trying to become selfishly rich through your child to feel good, try helping out at a homeless shelter or some other charitable event. Give me a break.

September 4, 2007, 7:58 pm CDT

Everyone wants to be RICH...

Quote From: jfletch

hahahaha everyone wants to be a "star!" Everyone wants to be famous. Give me a break. These parents think their kids are perfect as all parents do. These parents wanted to be famous as the rest of us do! We're just not as sick in the head as these people are. I got an idea--instead of trying to become selfishly rich through your child to feel good, try helping out at a homeless shelter or some other charitable event. Give me a break.

That first woman was funny trying to convince the world that based on her daughter coming to her at 3 and saying "I want to be on televisions" that she focused her life on that.  If they have the talent they'll still have it when they're older, true talent isn't based on how cute someone looks when they're little (Dame Judy Dench is a true actress).  That's what these parents count on, get in early, make a "fortune" quickly and hope their kids don't loose their look.  Sad really.

Our daughter said something similar about being on TV when she was 4, after she went through phases of wanting to be a ballerina, astronaut and several other things.  I told her that when she's a bit bigger she can choose what she wants to do and work hard towards it, she is now 9 and wants to be a marine biolgist when she grows up.  That will probably change again, but she is on the road to being an academic wizz so she'll have lots of options I'm sure.  Both of our children are on TV now, in the countless home movies we have of them on sportsfields and in school plays.

IMO "Everyone wants to be RICH", I doubt many parents who are pushing their kids into the "business" are looking for fame alone.  Is it worth all the money in the world to have your child and/or other neglected children hate you when they grow up.

That second family were laughable, the mother talking about how her son "looks forward to maintaning his sisters website and checking her fan mail" and how her older daughter "looks forward to writing sons for her sister".  I wonder how much her son was looking forward to reading the further praise (in the form of fanmail) for his sister when he left home because he hardly exists in the shadow of said sister.  I hope they put that little girl on the backburner for a while and realise that the "balance" they have achieved is all at the expense of their other children.  What if... heaven forbid... that little girl fails to become an actress/model?  How badly will she feel in 20 years when she looks back with grown-up eyes to see that everyone else has been sacrificed for her.

No comment on Mrs "Irritable bowel syndrome isn't caused by stress", her stupidity is a statement in itself. 

Everyone can't be famous and rich, there'd be no one to buy the albums (what selfish rich person would buy their competitions albums), watch the movies.  If everyone was rich and famous people would still want more (that's the nature of people).

First | Prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next Page | Last Page