Message Boards

Topic : Phil to the 7th Power Exercise Club

Number of Replies: 3394
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, July 06, 2005, 12:45:13 pm
Author : dataimport
We--as members of the Powerful Phil's Phormerly Phat Phabulous Phifties Phriends-- realize that in order to get our weight down and then keep it off, we must be vigilant about exercising as well as eating healthy. We will report on this discussion board the date, duration, and type of exercise performed.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 28, 2005, 2:43 pm CDT

KIT,

tanks for the welcome.  You have an advantage because you were always athletic.  I'm still looking for the sport that I like.  I was always the domestic type, baking, cooking etc., not the physical type.  I've been using the stationary bike, Leslie Sansone tapes and treadmill.  I will be doing water aoerbics when I go back down to FL.   I see you are doing it also and I'm glad you gave some info about using the hand weights(floats), gloves and shoes.  I was thinking of purchasing the hand floats, since the just use the noodles down there.  I believe you said they come in different sizes?  Which ones would you think I should start out with?

I've been inspired, so I'm off to do the two mile walk with Leslie.

Bettylu 

July 28, 2005, 5:31 pm CDT

PALKIT

Actually Kit I haven't had a chance to get over to the pool for sometime. However, I did go shopping today and bought another swimsuit on sale so I'll be getting over there next week with my company that's coming this weekend for vacation. So I'm ready to get going.

Today I did not get IE in other then walking around a lot today. Would have been a good day to wear my pedometer. I'll have to get back in the habit. Actually you will laugh I did get some exercise in ....while I was waiting for my doctor's appt. in the exam room I did 2 sets of deep knee bends, push ups against the wall and lifted my legs to the side and back from a standing position. Heck might as well do something while waiting.

Have a good evening missy

chilly

July 28, 2005, 7:10 pm CDT

Mary Lou Who? LOL

Sorry Betty Lou I did not mean to change your name!  Happy brain combined with excited fingers makes for interesting name changes! 

KIT

July 28, 2005, 7:30 pm CDT

OH I have done it again! LOL

Bettylu I will get your name down if it takes the rest of this week and a not on the side of the monitor!  At my age post its come in very handy.

Chilly I will try to spell your name correctly too!  This might take a bunch of post its!

The 5 lb aqua dumb bells will be fine for starters.  They will tone your muscles and strenghten them by using the resistance of the water and you trying to keep them under water.  IF that gets too easy you can always put them across each other and use two in one hand.  Just make sure you work both sides.  You can also bring a 5lb set to the next level by adding a cut up noodle across the bar.  If you start out with the 10 lb weights you might get very tired quickly and do damage from not building up your muscles for a while.  I never risk injury.  

With the aqua dumbbells I do the regular freehand weight moves keeping them under water.  I make sure I use them to work every muscle in my arms and shoulders and upper body and use the noodle to work the lower body.  You can actually sit on the noodle like it was a swing and do exercises to strenghten the core muscles which makes your balance better.  I actually even stand on the noodle and push it down toward the bottom using my knees and let it rise keeping it from getting away from me.  That is a good exercise to strenghten the knees and ankles.  When I am in the Arthritis water class we sit on the noodle and move the ankles rotating them slowly.  We even do toe exercises and face exercises and work on the fingers because as you touch your different fingers to your thumb you are using smaller muscles in your arms and shoulders and toning the whole arm rather than just the larger muscle groups.

I will try to post some of the water exercises here soon.  I have shared them with Becky and others and can post them again this Summer! 

KIT

July 29, 2005, 4:46 am CDT

KIT

Thanks for all the info.  I can't wait until I can start the water aerobics again.  I guess I could look around here and see if they have a program in progess now and not wait until I head south.

Have a GREAT DAY!

Bettylu

PS- I post sometimes as Bettylu, Betty Lou or just Betty, and I answer to them all.  If another Betty comes on board then I'll have to stick to one.

July 29, 2005, 6:45 am CDT

Andie pie

I have not heard anything about LORI DEAN, but will look for the tapes.  We are loosing our favorite thrift store where I get all my tapes!  I am not happy about that they have been what is keeping me busy at home. 

I have also continued to do the One Minute Challenge (OMC) for each of my buddies here!  Tae Bo is what I am working on it actually has been working out and I am getting better!  Hubby says it is scarey and he fears for his life when he watches me do the martial arts tapes.  He says I am pretty good and would not want to tangle with me in a dark alley! LOL

Have a great day everyone!

KIT

July 29, 2005, 10:57 am CDT

GOOD FRIDAY AFTERNOON LADIES

HEY PALKIT IT'S OKAY IF YOU CALL ME CHILLI OR CHILLI OR CHILLY I'LL STILL ANSWER YA

((((SMILING))))))

MY IE TODAY IS IN THE FORM OF A LOT OF HOUSEWORK, PUSH UPS, SITUPS AND LIGHT WEIGHTS. GETTING READY FOR COMPANY.....ADVISED TO BRING YOUR BATHINGSUIT CAUSE WE'RE GOING TO THE POOL AT THE GYM NEXT WEEK ((((((((SMILING)))))) AND WITH TEMPS GOING TO THE 90'S THAT'S WHERE WE'LL BE HEADED. HOPEFULLY THE POOL ROOMS WON'T BE TOO HOT AND HUMID IN THERE......BUT I WILL CHECK IT OUT.

EVERYBUDDY KEEP THOSE FEET MOVING AND HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND.

CHILLY

July 29, 2005, 12:15 pm CDT

HEYPHABULOUS PHRIENDS

WELL WE HAD A COUPLE OF GLORIOUS DAYS BUT THE TEMP ON THE WAY BACK UP AGAIN!!!

BIBLE SCHOOL WILL BE OVER TONIGHT AND ALL MY BIRDFEEDERS ARE TOGETHER AND THE PAINT JOBS THE KIDS DID ARE PHABULOUSLY COLORFUL!! THERE WERE 14 PIECES TO THEM AND I ASKED THAT THEY USE AS MANY DIFFERENT COLORS AS POSSIBLE !!! THE OLD FOLKS AT CHURCH JUST LOVE THEM AND THE YOUNGUNS ARE SO PROUD THEIR BUTTONS ARE A POPPIN!!!

WELL, THE BODYSHOP CALLED ME TODAY TO SEE IF I WAS ILL. I HAVENT BEEN THERE ALL WEEK!!! IT SURE WAS NICE TO BE MISSED!!! I TOLD THEM I'D SEE THEM IN THE MORNING  LORD WILLIN!!!

HE IS FOR SURE SO I'D BETTER GET OVER THERE HUH!!!

HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A PHABULOUS WEEKEND!!!!

(((HUGS))

BECKY

FROGHOP

July 30, 2005, 11:03 pm CDT

GOT A QUESTION...

HI, PHRIENDS!  THIS MAY SEEM AN ODD QUESTION, BUT I AM CURIOUS.  DOES ANYBODY ELSE TEND TO GAIN AT A CERTAIN TIME OF THE MONTH?  I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT I'D LEFT THIS PARTICULAR PROBLEM BEHIND SINCE I  HAVEN'T HAD A PERIOD IN SEVERAL YEARS...THANK GOODNESS.

LOOKING BACK AT MY CALENDARS I SEEM TO PUT ON A POUND OR TWO AT THE END OF THE MONTH, AND THEN MY WEIGHT WILL GO BACK DOWN AT THE END OF THE NEXT WEEK.  IT IS DISCOURAGING TO WORK SO HARD, AND HAVE THE TWO POUNDS I'D LOST RIGHT BACK ON AGAIN LAST FRIDAY.

ANY IDEAS AS TO WHY?  I'D APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU ALL CAN GIVE ON THIS.

:) ANDIEPIE17

177/ 129.5 :( / 125

P.S.  I'VE BEEN EXERCISING ABOUT AN HOUR A DAY.  WHEN I'M AT HOME, IT'S JANE FONDA ON M-W-F, AND LORI DEAN ON T-TH-SUNDAY.  AT THE CABIN, I'VE BEEN USING THE INFLATABLE BALL AND DOING PILATES...MY GUESS IS THIS IS ALSO ABOUT AN HOUR.

I'VE BEEN DOING MY OMC MINUTES WHEN I'M AT HOME, AND ALSO 16 SQUATS FOR MM.

July 31, 2005, 2:29 am CDT

andie pie

Well I don't know missy. I haven't been paying attention........I just haven't seemed to click full bore back into exercise........was doing okay but then had to get the house ready for a house guest and got busy doing other things. All I can say is be conscious of what you are eating paying special attention to the sodium content so you don't retain water etc. Also kick up your ie. just a tad more then 1 hr..........although I'd love to be saying I'm ie'ing an hour a day......

chilly

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last