Message Boards

Topic : 08/02 Explosive Anger and Its Aftermath

Number of Replies: 269
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 29, 2007, 12:45:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/06/07) Do you know a happy person who, if crossed, will explode in an instant with uncontrollable rage? Intermittent Explosive Disorder may explain why Dr. Phil's guests suddenly lose their temper, break things and even hurt other people. Carrie lives with constant uncertainty. She says her husband, Bob, can be totally calm one minute and be fist-fighting the next. He yells and curses at her, flips off other drivers and hit another man so hard it knocked his eye out; an act of violence that landed him in prison. Where does Bob's anger come from? After Dr. Phil shows Carrie and Bob a video of a previous guest, will Carrie decide to leave the anger prison she's been living in? Then, Traci says her 17-year-old daughter, Melinda, is tearing their family apart. In a matter of seconds, she can go from being a loving daughter and sibling, to throwing blenders and threatening her sister's life, for no apparent reason. Melinda says she's so full of anger that when she gets upset, she feels like she's going to explode. Do her mother and sister deserve the treatment they're getting, or is there something much deeper underlying Melinda's rage? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 30, 2007, 5:40 am CDT

My moment of anger...

I went to Starbucks this morning, and there was a line, so I took my place behind this hippie-ish lady, dressed up.  I didn't think it was necessary to dress up to go get breakfast, and she SNEERED at me!  Plus she was RUDE to me at the cashiers desk.  This infuriated me oourthn more than one level. 
First of all, youre a neo-hippie, you believe in free-expression, don't judge a book by its cover, blah, blah, blah.  Yet, here you are looking DOWN on ME, which basically makes you a hypocrite.

Second, I've got a massive dose of PMS, so i'm not taking crap off anyone!

Third, it's my day off, and I'll be darned if I'm judged by ANYONE!  I'll do what I want, and if she sticks up her snooty nose, she can kiss my pasty butt, because I don't care!

Fourth, I'm tired, and hungry, and all i want is my friggin' coffee and muffin, and i don't want to interact when i'm just getting sustenance...so go back to your commune and leave me alone!

March 30, 2007, 7:28 pm CDT

04/06 Explosive Anger and Its Aftermath

Quote From: gwarrior6

I went to Starbucks this morning, and there was a line, so I took my place behind this hippie-ish lady, dressed up.  I didn't think it was necessary to dress up to go get breakfast, and she SNEERED at me!  Plus she was RUDE to me at the cashiers desk.  This infuriated me oourthn more than one level. 
First of all, youre a neo-hippie, you believe in free-expression, don't judge a book by its cover, blah, blah, blah.  Yet, here you are looking DOWN on ME, which basically makes you a hypocrite.

Third, it's my day off, and I'll be darned if I'm judged by ANYONE!  I'll do what I want, and if she sticks up her snooty nose, she can kiss my pasty butt, because I don't care!

Fourth, I'm tired, and hungry, and all i want is my friggin' coffee and muffin, and i don't want to interact when i'm just getting sustenance...so go back to your commune and leave me alone!

LOL, that's weird. Are you sure it wasn't your PMS making a huge deal out of nothing? I do that all the time when I have PMS...LOL

March 31, 2007, 8:00 am CDT

yep...

Quote From: penny_lady

LOL, that's weird. Are you sure it wasn't your PMS making a huge deal out of nothing? I do that all the time when I have PMS...LOL

Politeness is integral to a civilized society.  If people in a society are rude, it's not a CIVILIZED society.  The woman's behavior is nothing but social litter to me.  It's not "nothing' because this kind of behavior leads to social destruction.  Rudeness is nothing more than scaled down sociopathy.  The PMS was just the icing on the cake! LOL!

March 31, 2007, 8:21 am CDT

Also..

Quote From: penny_lady

Was it a big deal to get angry- no.  Was it overboard to want to strangle her-maybe.  The degree of indignation over something so seemingly trivial (because it's "eating away society like battery acid"), was probably over the top.  I realize I sound like the polite police, but even when i'm rude to someone, i'll acknowledge it and try to do something to even out the social karma. 

March 31, 2007, 10:45 am CDT

hmmmm

Perhaps since you were both looking each other over. You could have found 'something' about her you liked, and offered a compliment? It could have turned the moment around for you, and her as well, and made your day off a pleasant one to boot.

When I am out and about, and encounter someone like that, I don't assume anything. Most of the time I have thoughts of my own in other area's. But, if I suspect someone is truly sneering at me, I smile to see if it comes back. If it doesn't.. oh well.... I won't let someone take my joy.

March 31, 2007, 11:22 am CDT

explosive anger

My mother has this problem.  She has always had a terrible temper, but this last year, she has become uncontrollable.  She screams and swears and says such horrible things.  My brothers and I have stopped all communications with her.  When she does contact one of my brothers, it is to scream and carry on.  She says everyone has driven her to be this way, and this is her right.  She blames everyone else for her problems, and says she wishes she had never had children.  Well, her children are ages 52, 48, and 42.  We have tried everything we can think of besides committing her and are at our wits end.  It has been almost 12 months since I have had any contact with her, and I am so thankful, as she is so toxic to me that I finally had to stand my ground.  I am hoping to one day to know maybe she can be better and at least be civil to family.  Our family has had alot of tragedies, and she has driven all the rest of the family away. No one will take her calls anymore, because she has abused every family member.  What a travesty!!  I guess I don't  understand how someone can be so angry all the time at SO many people.  So sad. 

March 31, 2007, 12:38 pm CDT

Remember.......

We'll excuse anything before the first cup of coffee!:>) The PMS  probably  didn't help. What does a dressed-up hippie wear anyway??:>) I think I know what you mean.....  At least you weren't the 5000th customer or something and they had a band waiting for you with a reporter from the local paper!!!!!:>) Sometimes all you want is a cup of coffee....I'm with you on that one!!!!  It's a funny story. If you see her again,tell her you always come there because you're preparing for the return of the mothership and  you look forward to seeing her again soon...:>) She might switch Starbucks.:>)

March 31, 2007, 1:53 pm CDT

04/06 Explosive Anger and Its Aftermath

Yes my boss can be happy and sweet one day and the next time you work with him he is very miserable.  He can be very complimentary one minute and the next he can be accusing you of something so bazaar that you don't know how he can ever say such a lie about you to your face. He has told me in the past about his brother being bipolar, well I am not sure but I think he might be too.  I am told that it can run in families.  I really hate being his escape goat or person for him to vent to about all that is bothering him.  He blames me for more things than anyone else in the department and I really don't know what to do about it.  He has upset me several times.  And I have tried to ingnor his comments, but it is very hard to do because he comes on too strong.  It makes working for him very unpleasent for me.  Other people he is as pleasent as can be to.  I really am feeling very baffeled by how difficult a person he is at times.  If there are any sugestions please send them my way.  I am reading a book called "Wired That Way" right now and it explains the different personallities.  It is helping a little.

March 31, 2007, 2:52 pm CDT

offer of help

Quote From: selwoc1

Yes my boss can be happy and sweet one day and the next time you work with him he is very miserable.  He can be very complimentary one minute and the next he can be accusing you of something so bazaar that you don't know how he can ever say such a lie about you to your face. He has told me in the past about his brother being bipolar, well I am not sure but I think he might be too.  I am told that it can run in families.  I really hate being his escape goat or person for him to vent to about all that is bothering him.  He blames me for more things than anyone else in the department and I really don't know what to do about it.  He has upset me several times.  And I have tried to ingnor his comments, but it is very hard to do because he comes on too strong.  It makes working for him very unpleasent for me.  Other people he is as pleasent as can be to.  I really am feeling very baffeled by how difficult a person he is at times.  If there are any sugestions please send them my way.  I am reading a book called "Wired That Way" right now and it explains the different personallities.  It is helping a little.

I have posted most of my blog towards personality disorders, coping etc.

feel free to stop in read-up :) http://360.yahoo.com/suzangm If this link does not post properly on here, visit my profile where it is posted as well.

March 31, 2007, 3:01 pm CDT

Explosive Anger and Its Aftermath

Quote From: deanna1954

My mother has this problem.  She has always had a terrible temper, but this last year, she has become uncontrollable.  She screams and swears and says such horrible things.  My brothers and I have stopped all communications with her.  When she does contact one of my brothers, it is to scream and carry on.  She says everyone has driven her to be this way, and this is her right.  She blames everyone else for her problems, and says she wishes she had never had children.  Well, her children are ages 52, 48, and 42.  We have tried everything we can think of besides committing her and are at our wits end.  It has been almost 12 months since I have had any contact with her, and I am so thankful, as she is so toxic to me that I finally had to stand my ground.  I am hoping to one day to know maybe she can be better and at least be civil to family.  Our family has had alot of tragedies, and she has driven all the rest of the family away. No one will take her calls anymore, because she has abused every family member.  What a travesty!!  I guess I don't  understand how someone can be so angry all the time at SO many people.  So sad. 

Did you ever think about why your mother acts this way? I am a mother who has the same problem with my children (all over the age 30). In one of these episodes (and the last one)

I found out my children were angry over the fact I was not in their lives when they were growing

up. They were told that I did not care about them, that men and booze was more important than

they were. When they found out the truth of it was, I did care about them. I gave both a large box

of letters, cards, and other correspondance that spanned 20 some years. They learned of a lot of things that prevented us being together as a family.  Today we have a nice small family and we are enjoying each other as well as getting to know each other. Today I have a son and daughter to enjoy along with nine grandchilren ranging from 11 to 8 months. Hopefully before I

die which should be around August 2007 (and hopefully fate will not repeat itself) I will find

another son and daughter and their families to make my family a little larger and re-unite ALL

of my children.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last