Message Boards

Topic : 08/02 Explosive Anger and Its Aftermath

Number of Replies: 269
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 29, 2007, 12:45:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/06/07) Do you know a happy person who, if crossed, will explode in an instant with uncontrollable rage? Intermittent Explosive Disorder may explain why Dr. Phil's guests suddenly lose their temper, break things and even hurt other people. Carrie lives with constant uncertainty. She says her husband, Bob, can be totally calm one minute and be fist-fighting the next. He yells and curses at her, flips off other drivers and hit another man so hard it knocked his eye out; an act of violence that landed him in prison. Where does Bob's anger come from? After Dr. Phil shows Carrie and Bob a video of a previous guest, will Carrie decide to leave the anger prison she's been living in? Then, Traci says her 17-year-old daughter, Melinda, is tearing their family apart. In a matter of seconds, she can go from being a loving daughter and sibling, to throwing blenders and threatening her sister's life, for no apparent reason. Melinda says she's so full of anger that when she gets upset, she feels like she's going to explode. Do her mother and sister deserve the treatment they're getting, or is there something much deeper underlying Melinda's rage? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 2, 2007, 3:10 pm CDT

Been There- Lived

April 2, 2007, 3:19 pm CDT

I've Been There, Too

I am a surviver of a 14 year marriage to a man who was extremely violent, emotionally and verbally.  He would yell, scream, curse me, our children, and my mother who lives in the same house as us.  He was volatile and unpredictable.  I lived under constant fear of another outburst.  I stayed, in part because I was raised that if you weren't being hit, or cheated on, there was not a big enough problem to end a marriage. 

He finally began to threaten to kill me, and I believed him.  In a particularly bad outburst, he pinned me down, threatened to kill me, pushed my 85 year old mother, and threatened to take our son and leave the state.  Finally, I broke and called law enforcement.  It was then that a female officer who told me to take a good look at myself, and what this was doing to my son.  She encouraged me to seek help at our local Domestic Violence Shelter ASAP!  That day I took my 7 year old son and left my own home.  My life, family, career, health, and most other areas of my life are much improved now.  The transition was difficult, but I would do it all again to save my sanity, self-esteem, and my child's future.

April 2, 2007, 6:19 pm CDT

04/06 Explosive Anger and Its Aftermath

Quote From: gwarrior6

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll try those.  I'll do anything to keep my inner bitch from going on a killing spree-LOL!  Maybe my therapist can help me get in touch with my inner demon and channel it into productivity-I'll have a clean house once a month!   Seriously, thank you for the suggestion, my husband thanks you in advance! :)

Your welcome, my husband now worships the ground my sister walks on for suggesting it to me, I figure we take enough pharmasuticals, there had to be something natural.

Just keep in mind, its not a wonder drug it won't work overnight, but your family will see the difference.

And when you go on that cleaning spree, you can come to my house if you have any extra energy LOL.

April 2, 2007, 7:05 pm CDT

04/06 Explosive Anger and Its Aftermath

Quote From: penny_lady

I can understand that...I am just one of those people, who, when sad, or deep in thought is accused of  "sneering" or looking angry...I also personally often think about those little moments when someone might be upset about something else, thinking about something else, and reacts for a moment to another person in a bad way.

I remember shortly after I had my c-section I was in Walmart, I was still in a lot of pain but I liked to walk around, it made me feel better. So I had a strained, and possibly angry look on my face because of the pain. I wonder if anyone took that the wrong way, not knowing the severe pain I was in at the time.

I dunno...these are my thoughts on this kind of thing.
gwarrior, I hope you didn't take offense to this message. I know you are a Christian so I thought you would appreciate where I was coming from. I'm an atheist, but I think the golden rule is very wise. I just thought it would be common ground for us, I hope you didn't take offense to this post. None was meant, as a matter of fact the opposite was meant.

April 2, 2007, 7:16 pm CDT

Thank you for replying.

Quote From: gwarrior6

Hormones are a huge part of behavior-or mine anyway.  I get "flashes" of anger- boom!  It hits me, and I see red!  A lot of it, I think has to do with a "mellowing" out after menopause or peri-menopausal period.  Do you take Estrogen Replacement Therapy (ERT)?  You may need an adjustment in treatment.  You may need to see a psychiatrist AND OBGYN to understand the problem.  Just guesses, i don't know your exact case, but I hope you see both regularly, it may be a biological thing.

As far as feeling "cold and numb" after your parents death, totally normal to feel that way... I felt the same way after my grandfather died when I was a teenager, it may just be your way of grieving.  There's no wrong way to feel about their deaths, it may be a complex thing tied into how you feel about them...whoa, i think i went deeper into that than i intended!

I get angry more than I should, I think I have pure testosterone in my veins sometimes, and I wish I could be more in control of it!  I'd rather be in your shoes, than the possibility of incarceration because I couldn't close Pandora's box.

I'm ashamed to say I've never said anything to my GYN about my strange emotions. I have never even ask about ERT. I had heard that it could cause cancer. My mother had breast cancer when she was 62 and it came back 14 years later.She lived 3 more years after she was diagnosed with it again. A biopsy showed estrogen so everything was "breast cancer of the"(colon, bones,lymph glands in the chest,and liver) I was kind of afraid to take it. I have often felt like I need to see a psychiatrist but I just never have. I am probably my own worst.enemy. Example-When I was about 40 ,I started waking up at night with what were probably panic attacks. I would have a feeling of impending doom,like something bad was going to happen. (There was nothing going on in my life to cause it.) I didn't tell anyone,not even my husband.It would feel like the inside of my body was trying to get to the outside all at once. Would you believe it wasn't until I was about 47 that I told my MD? He suggested Paxil. It helped. I have tried going off it a couple of times to see what would. happen. The panic attacks would come back.You have no idea how close you are about "a complex thing tied into how you feel about them".Reading these boards and finding out about how other women feel has made me think more about myself. I'm going to talk to my Dr. about ERT. It's funny how I'm more apt to reach out to someone that I don't even know. But ya'll seem so intelligent and have good advice to offer. Thank you very much.And it wouldn't hurt for me to see a psychiatrist.

April 2, 2007, 11:37 pm CDT

Explosive anger

I am one of the many people in the world that sufer from ECD...explosive, compulsive disorder. My disorder started about the time that my hormones began to change.  At that time Dr.'s did not know there was a disorder like that. So I was just called a BAD kid.  There were no drugs when I was young to help control it and no counsiling was ever offered.

I was not actually diagnosised with ECD until about 10 years ago. I had been seeing a Pych Dr. for a while before that and was told I had everything from depression to PTSD. I was placed on one drug after another hoping something would stop the rage.  It even got to the point where I was put on Lithium and Thorizine. Needless to say, neither of those worked at all. 

But about 10 years ago a Dr. finally figured out what my problem was and found a med that works for me. I now take Paxil everyday. I have also done years of therapy to learn ways of controlling the outbursts before they occur.

This disorder I feel is one of the harder to understand and sympathize with. I mean lets face it, No one can really feel bad with a foul tempered person.  But speaking from experiance, ECD is just as bad as OCD...which I also sufer from.  

People with ECD do not want to feel angry all the time. It is a misserable life.  And people who sufer with this really do want to find a way to get past this and live a happy life.  I look back on my life before the meds and counsiling and feel ashamed of things I have done out of anger to complete strangers.  

For anyone who has this disorder I strongly urge you to get help!  I know without meds and counsiling you can never get this under control.  Believe me, I tried to do the self-medication thing and it does not work. Seek professional help now and stick with it.  There is no cure for ECD, but there are ways to control and manage it.

April 3, 2007, 5:53 am CDT

No offense at all!

Quote From: penny_lady

gwarrior, I hope you didn't take offense to this message. I know you are a Christian so I thought you would appreciate where I was coming from. I'm an atheist, but I think the golden rule is very wise. I just thought it would be common ground for us, I hope you didn't take offense to this post. None was meant, as a matter of fact the opposite was meant.

Penny, youre absolutely right, though.  The golden rule is a very good principle to live in society by.  I struggle a LOT as a Christian and dealing with my anger issues!  I know i'm supposed to turn the other cheek, I just need help doing it!  Thanks for the St. John's Wort suggestion too, I think I'll experiment with it and some other meds and see what works. 

Crazy people (me) need all the help I can get (seriously), I don't care where it comes from- takes more than that to offend!  It never offends me when people offer suggestions, i welcome them.  I hope you can forgive my sluggish responses, I've been horrible about my replies lately.

April 3, 2007, 6:10 am CDT

One more thing...

Quote From: housewife52

I'm ashamed to say I've never said anything to my GYN about my strange emotions. I have never even ask about ERT. I had heard that it could cause cancer. My mother had breast cancer when she was 62 and it came back 14 years later.She lived 3 more years after she was diagnosed with it again. A biopsy showed estrogen so everything was "breast cancer of the"(colon, bones,lymph glands in the chest,and liver) I was kind of afraid to take it. I have often felt like I need to see a psychiatrist but I just never have. I am probably my own worst.enemy. Example-When I was about 40 ,I started waking up at night with what were probably panic attacks. I would have a feeling of impending doom,like something bad was going to happen. (There was nothing going on in my life to cause it.) I didn't tell anyone,not even my husband.It would feel like the inside of my body was trying to get to the outside all at once. Would you believe it wasn't until I was about 47 that I told my MD? He suggested Paxil. It helped. I have tried going off it a couple of times to see what would. happen. The panic attacks would come back.You have no idea how close you are about "a complex thing tied into how you feel about them".Reading these boards and finding out about how other women feel has made me think more about myself. I'm going to talk to my Dr. about ERT. It's funny how I'm more apt to reach out to someone that I don't even know. But ya'll seem so intelligent and have good advice to offer. Thank you very much.And it wouldn't hurt for me to see a psychiatrist.

If you have a family history of breast cancer (even if it spread), I hope you get mammograms and check for lumps with self exams.  If you talk to your GYN, tell her/him that you have a family history of breast cancer because they might offer an alternative to the Estrogen to even out your hormone levels.

I can relate with the panic attacks, every so often i'll get one.  My heart starts pounding, and I feel like I can't catch my breath.  I also have the "impending doom" feeling and nauseated feeling.   Very scary!  My psychiatrist helped me A LOT!  I got them less often and if I do get them now, they're less severe. 

I wish you the best of health, and I hope you find the doctor and meds that work for you.  God bless!

April 3, 2007, 6:44 am CDT

I wonder...

Quote From: ohdang13

I am one of the many people in the world that sufer from ECD...explosive, compulsive disorder. My disorder started about the time that my hormones began to change.  At that time Dr.'s did not know there was a disorder like that. So I was just called a BAD kid.  There were no drugs when I was young to help control it and no counsiling was ever offered.

I was not actually diagnosised with ECD until about 10 years ago. I had been seeing a Pych Dr. for a while before that and was told I had everything from depression to PTSD. I was placed on one drug after another hoping something would stop the rage.  It even got to the point where I was put on Lithium and Thorizine. Needless to say, neither of those worked at all. 

But about 10 years ago a Dr. finally figured out what my problem was and found a med that works for me. I now take Paxil everyday. I have also done years of therapy to learn ways of controlling the outbursts before they occur.

This disorder I feel is one of the harder to understand and sympathize with. I mean lets face it, No one can really feel bad with a foul tempered person.  But speaking from experiance, ECD is just as bad as OCD...which I also sufer from.  

People with ECD do not want to feel angry all the time. It is a misserable life.  And people who sufer with this really do want to find a way to get past this and live a happy life.  I look back on my life before the meds and counsiling and feel ashamed of things I have done out of anger to complete strangers.  

For anyone who has this disorder I strongly urge you to get help!  I know without meds and counsiling you can never get this under control.  Believe me, I tried to do the self-medication thing and it does not work. Seek professional help now and stick with it.  There is no cure for ECD, but there are ways to control and manage it.

My brother was diagnosed with Oppositional Defiance Disorder (ODD), and he had a lot of impulse control problems, I wonder if he also had ECD, because of his behavior (cussing out girls in Sunday school, for example). He is on meds for ADHD (Ritalin LA), and it seems to help somewhat, but sometimes his behavior is a little outrageous.  He was also on Lithium and took Haldol with little effect.

Do you ever outgrow it, or do you notice if its worse at certain times/situations?  What can I do as a family member to support him?

April 3, 2007, 7:04 am CDT

More info...

Quote From: housewife52

Here's some more info on alternatives to Estrogen therapy.

http://health.yahoo.com/ate/drweil/alldaily/2005/07/20050712

http://www.drdonnica.com/articles/00000045-002.htm

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last