Message Boards

Topic : 07/31 Strung Out!

Number of Replies: 229
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 04, 2007, 12:05:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 07/09/07) Imagine your mother so high on prescription drugs that she falls face first into her food, or your husband on a 15-day drug binge that ends with him passing out in front of your young children. For today’s guests, this is their reality. Becky says her life was once a fairy tale that included being married to a semi-pro football player, until her storybook husband, Donell, got addicted to methamphetamines. Now, every day of his life revolves around cooking, shooting, eating, snorting and inhaling methamphetamines, while Becky spends her time worried that he won’t make it through another day. With paranoia as a constant side effect, Donell prepares to face Dr. Phil Is there any hope of turning his life around? Then, Janet admits she’s been hooked on drugs for 25 years, but says she flushed her prescription drugs down the toilet and is currently clean. Her children, Jaymie, Michael and Dawn say she’s a liar. When Dr. Phil confronts her about the 15 pills she still takes daily, Janet turns her son in for being strung out on more drugs than she. Do both mother and son have an addiction problem? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 7, 2007, 10:16 am CDT

I just don't understand

Quote From: jenmcfaddin

My ex-husband and I have been addicted for more than 10 years to meth and pot. We were married for 6 1/2 years when I learned that he had cheated on me and then lied about it for several years. His excuse for cheating was his addiction! So I stopped using and tried to straighten out my life. I ended up filing for divorce 3 months later. When I was 6 months into being clean, my son was at our home with a sitter when the law showed up and took him away from me. My ex has a very long rap sheet for drugs and he also is very wealthy and the county we live in hates us. I fought for a 1 1/2 in juvenile court to get my son back with me but did not succeed, my parents now have custody of him.

It has been almost 3 years since they took my son from me. I still and always will battle my addiction! My ex and I are living together again, I still have hope that he too can stop using and I am trying to get hm too every day. He has a son also who is 16 years old. Just a couple weeks ago he was riding around with some of his friends and they got pulled over, his friend was driving without a license and another one had some pot on him. They all went to juvie! He stayed there for more than a week before the judge let him out on very strict orders to follow. I'm worried that he will not make this 6 month probation period, he is too much like his father. He has a piss-pour additude about it all for one. I just try to think possitive about it all and hope for the best!

I would love nothing more than to have my son back with me. My parents and I do not get along, never have! They don't like my ex and have made several comments to people that as long as I am with him they could care less about me! He is my son's father! Neither one of us ever put him in danger! Yes we used drugs but not around him, I would not allow anyone to even mention drugs in front of him or they were out the door! Any money that I had saved up is gone from paying lawyer fees to get him back! I can't afford another lawyer and every lawyer that I have talked to wants $2000 up front to just tell me if I stand a chance getting custody again! I worry every second of every day that my son will think that I don't care about him! I cry all the time! My son is my whole entire life, he use to be such a happy kid. His eyes always sparkled and now he stays depressed. I worry that he too will start using just b/c his parents did! I would give anything in the world to have him back with me all the time! I need him just as bad as he needs me!

You could almost be my daughter. Please for the life of me I don't understand how it can be ok to do drugs just because you don't do them around the kids. My daughters defense is she needs to smoke pot to calm her nerves and since she doesn't do this around her children it's no big deal. Wrong!!! The area of the home that's smoked in stinks to high heaven. Then it's on your clothes and I know the children get some of that stinch in their little lungs. Recently I picked up the boyfriend on our way to where they stay and I had to hang my head out of my window because my throat and lungs burnt so badly, not harming the children, bull !!!!  Too many children life's are destroyed because of parent's drug use. They either suffer because their left in the homes trying to be the grown up or they are removed from mom & dad's they love all the while Mom and Dad justifying their drug use. I wonder what tragic thing will have happen before my daughter realizes her children or more important than pot and the boyfriend. While I still love her I hate the life she has choosen for herself and her children I fully understand your parents somewhat because those little inocent babies did not choose this and if I had those babies I could break ties with her. It's too heartbreaking to see her destroy her body all the while believing Pot is not harmful!!!   Agian like my precious daughter, sounds like the man and the drug is more important than the child.  

May 8, 2007, 12:36 am CDT

how I've tried!!

Oh my god I don't know how I'm going to be able wait to see this show.I WISH to God I could get my 27yo "perfect" daughter to watch. Yea, I grew up in the '70's, the decade of trippin' on everthing and anything we could get our hands on.I started going to keggers and smoking pot at 14(my mom was diagnosed w/terminal cancer) I took care of her after school, evenings,took her to chemo 3Xwk. But to do all this and continue and graduate highschool, I started doing nickel bags of crisscross, 5 days a week. Weekends were keggers, mushrooms, uppers, downers.anything to get thru it all. She passed day after Christmas 1973. I graduated, had also been working since I was 15. Fast forward to 1977, married my first love(a herion addict, excon)went to work as one of the first female dockloaders, with my first job injury I got introduced to painkillers. Was addicted to perks, vicodin, Soma(coma) and drank.Then got introduced to cocaine and that was all she wrote. Had a couple accidental overdoses and then one not so accidental. In Sept. 1999 I blacked out and got in a fight with my daughter. Then left, drove home.IMAGINE my suprise when I was doing dishes, minding my own business, when the local sherriff showed up and stuck the handcuffs on. I called my counselor begging for a rehab/detox.I went in feb. 2000, 28 days. Never felt better. EXCEPT, my only blood daughter will not forgive me, she will have nothing to do with me, I last saw my granddaughter on christmas 06. She said I f----- her life up and she won't allow me to f---up her dughter! I'm adopted and these are my only blood! I'm dying here. Any suggestions, comments, help?!?

May 8, 2007, 12:50 am CDT

Good for You!

Quote From: mgar401

I saw this topic and I cant wait to watch the show..I see my mother in alot of these storys. She was addicted to tylenol with codene and vicodine since she was 12. I always wondered if her pills were more important than the life she gave. She often showed me that they were by going on "vacation" for a few days, waking up very mad and very abusive to my brother and I and then be fine for a few days and be "gone" again. Even though she was always home , in bed with excuses , she made my brother and I suffer for her problems. We were the cause and consiquence. In fall 2003 she almost killed herself while taking these pills. She was in the ICU for about 2 weeks and then in the hospital for about 2-3 wks after that. The DR.s told me she wasnt going to make because her body was having bad withdrawls and was shutting down. On top of the pills she smoked almost 2 packs a day. They finally got her clean and some help back on her feet within 6 months, all to this again the summer of 2006. She took her sleeping pills and forgot she took and took them again an hour later. She fell asleep on my sofa bed and wouldnt wake up. This time she did this at my house, with my children present. My husband and I had no choice but to call 911, and if we didnt she might of died again as well.

I personally dont think there is enough INFORMATION OUT ABOUT PERCRIPTION DRUGS and the consiquences of not taking them properly. You often see on the labels " for the intended purpose", or " percribed for the person on the lable", but you dont see anything about OVERDOSE or the fact that you can die if not taken correctly. If these are the on the lables are in the fine print and can not be seen by someone who doesnt look at the labels. Too many people are devloping addictions and dying from these medications on a daily basis.The Dr's need to start educating there patience about the drugs they percribe.

I cant say anymore about this because with her abusing the medications, she abused and neglicted my brother and I and its a aweful scary heartaching trip down memory lane....

Mgar401@aol.com

I just wanted to say thank you. It's nice to see that there are still children out there that don't totally give up on their parents. We have all made mistakes, I never did these things in front of my daughter or son that lived with their father(who was a big time coke dealer and user) on the week-ends that I had them, I was all there! I would call my daughter and just want to talk, even tho no one could understand a word I said. I've been clean and sober for 7yrs 2 mo and my daughter wont have a thing to do with me or her step dad and refuses us seeing our 3yo granddaughter. I'm just so happy to see that some kids still care!!!

May 8, 2007, 8:12 am CDT

05/09 Strung Out!

Quote From: dwnout44

Oh my god I don't know how I'm going to be able wait to see this show.I WISH to God I could get my 27yo "perfect" daughter to watch. Yea, I grew up in the '70's, the decade of trippin' on everthing and anything we could get our hands on.I started going to keggers and smoking pot at 14(my mom was diagnosed w/terminal cancer) I took care of her after school, evenings,took her to chemo 3Xwk. But to do all this and continue and graduate highschool, I started doing nickel bags of crisscross, 5 days a week. Weekends were keggers, mushrooms, uppers, downers.anything to get thru it all. She passed day after Christmas 1973. I graduated, had also been working since I was 15. Fast forward to 1977, married my first love(a herion addict, excon)went to work as one of the first female dockloaders, with my first job injury I got introduced to painkillers. Was addicted to perks, vicodin, Soma(coma) and drank.Then got introduced to cocaine and that was all she wrote. Had a couple accidental overdoses and then one not so accidental. In Sept. 1999 I blacked out and got in a fight with my daughter. Then left, drove home.IMAGINE my suprise when I was doing dishes, minding my own business, when the local sherriff showed up and stuck the handcuffs on. I called my counselor begging for a rehab/detox.I went in feb. 2000, 28 days. Never felt better. EXCEPT, my only blood daughter will not forgive me, she will have nothing to do with me, I last saw my granddaughter on christmas 06. She said I f----- her life up and she won't allow me to f---up her dughter! I'm adopted and these are my only blood! I'm dying here. Any suggestions, comments, help?!?

Have you tried family counseling? Maybe that would help. Your daughter probably is just so afraid to trust you after all the years of disappointment. Maybe with time she'll come around. You just need to let her know how much you love and miss her. I know it must be painful but I would guess she is also in pain. I hope for your grandaughter's sake she realizes just how much a grandparent can mean. I have two, a 5 year old grandaughter and a 5 month old grandson. They mean the world to me. I can't imagine not being a part of their lives. I truly hope your daughter can find it in her heart to forgive you and learn to trust you again.

May 8, 2007, 4:57 pm CDT

05/09 Strung Out!

Quote From: myboysgrammy

You could almost be my daughter. Please for the life of me I don't understand how it can be ok to do drugs just because you don't do them around the kids. My daughters defense is she needs to smoke pot to calm her nerves and since she doesn't do this around her children it's no big deal. Wrong!!! The area of the home that's smoked in stinks to high heaven. Then it's on your clothes and I know the children get some of that stinch in their little lungs. Recently I picked up the boyfriend on our way to where they stay and I had to hang my head out of my window because my throat and lungs burnt so badly, not harming the children, bull !!!!  Too many children life's are destroyed because of parent's drug use. They either suffer because their left in the homes trying to be the grown up or they are removed from mom & dad's they love all the while Mom and Dad justifying their drug use. I wonder what tragic thing will have happen before my daughter realizes her children or more important than pot and the boyfriend. While I still love her I hate the life she has choosen for herself and her children I fully understand your parents somewhat because those little inocent babies did not choose this and if I had those babies I could break ties with her. It's too heartbreaking to see her destroy her body all the while believing Pot is not harmful!!!   Agian like my precious daughter, sounds like the man and the drug is more important than the child.  
You put your son in harms way when you are high and are the caretaker of him.  What if something happened and you were strung out.  As long as you are living with your ex and he is still using you don't deserve to get your son back.  What is more important to you?  Now that you are clean, get your life straightened up, get away from your ex and then maybe your parents will let you visit.  Your son deserves better - put HIM first for a change.

May 9, 2007, 1:28 am CDT

been there too

This show completely touched home with me. I grew up in a family that all does drugs. My grandma, mother - her multiple husbands, cousins, brother all of us. I thought it was normal. I began using pot at the age of 14, stealing from my moms stash. It progressed to prescription drugs, then cocaine and later meth. It was nothing for us all to get high together. It was so bad I would have to leave my job due to nosebleeds, I totaled my car,  my nose collapsed, and  I got down to around 86lbs.

I married a man who was the town drug dealer (such great judgement!!) and we thought we could get straight. We did it for awhile, only doing drugs at parties. After I had my first child I knew I wanted a better life for her. So I got straight, but when I found out that my husband had put her life at risk in order to get a fix I walked out. It was tough - but God has totally changed my life. I have been drug free for about 10 years now and it's great. I am re-married to a wonderful christian man from a completely different background than me, and we have had two more children. He adopted my little girl from my first marriage and is the father that she deserves.I feel as if I have had the chance of a lifetime - I have lived two different lives and have came out with the better one. I wish these families all of the best and will keep them in my prayers! It can be done!!!

May 9, 2007, 6:11 am CDT

The Curse of Drugs !

Donell, i hope you stay in rehab until your clean from that poison, otherwise you will have an early death, and your lovely family will be crushed with pain. For Becky's sake and for your lovely little children i wish you the best of luck  and I know Dr.Phil and his friends will help you as much as you want them to help you.

Keep strong and hopeful Becky, my heart goes out to you and to your children. I will be praying for all of you. Many Blessings.

Love,

Lory (Australia)  

May 9, 2007, 6:43 am CDT

Lives In Pain !

My heart just brakes for Jaymie and Dawn to have seen their brother and Mother both addicted to drugs over their entire lives. I remember when I was 10 and 11 years old I had to go to the Bar to get Mum home from there as mother was addicted to alcohol. It was so painful as a young girl to see my mother so drunk most of the time. So take courage girls and we hope that your mother and brother will respond to Dr.Phil's help. I pray that this is the right time in their lives to commit to be free from the cursed things.

May 9, 2007, 7:09 am CDT

For the man who is addicted to meth

Not to many people know anything about meth..I know from first hand experience.. It is very hard to kick the habit, it's even harder when u start banging it (shutting it in your veins). Everyone thinks that rehab is the answer to it and it's not! It is a quick fix and thats it. If you do not have a good enough reason to kick the meth then you wont quite. Meth is a whole different drug out there on the streets. There are so many different kinds and new ones coming out every day. Each effects you different. You get different highs with each one..All the rehab will do maybe is get him clean for the moment and give him the tools to help fight his addiction, maybe.. it will have to come from with in himself if he really wants to quite. And for his wife not leaving him ...well maybe she loves the man and like the rest of the world held out hope that he would stop! So what if she was a nurse that and 2 cents gets you no where! she didn't know nothing about the drug because she has not ever used it!!! so how is she suppose to know just because she's a nurse..please!! You can use the stuff and people around you will never know! Not a cop,nurse or doctor...Unless it's to the extreme use as her husband did...

May 9, 2007, 7:25 am CDT

HELP - I didn't get to see some of the show!!

Can you help me?? I didn't get to see the middle age woman who was addidted to pain pills her entire life - and then told Dr Phil she was now "clean". I know he brought her suitcaises in but THEN WHAT HAPPENED??? I missed it!!!! HELP. I want to know what happened to that segment part of the show - can someone please explain to me what went on?

Thanking all in advance!!
Singhappy

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last