Message Boards

Topic : 07/31 Strung Out!

Number of Replies: 229
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 04, 2007, 12:05:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 07/09/07) Imagine your mother so high on prescription drugs that she falls face first into her food, or your husband on a 15-day drug binge that ends with him passing out in front of your young children. For today’s guests, this is their reality. Becky says her life was once a fairy tale that included being married to a semi-pro football player, until her storybook husband, Donell, got addicted to methamphetamines. Now, every day of his life revolves around cooking, shooting, eating, snorting and inhaling methamphetamines, while Becky spends her time worried that he won’t make it through another day. With paranoia as a constant side effect, Donell prepares to face Dr. Phil Is there any hope of turning his life around? Then, Janet admits she’s been hooked on drugs for 25 years, but says she flushed her prescription drugs down the toilet and is currently clean. Her children, Jaymie, Michael and Dawn say she’s a liar. When Dr. Phil confronts her about the 15 pills she still takes daily, Janet turns her son in for being strung out on more drugs than she. Do both mother and son have an addiction problem? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 9, 2007, 7:51 am CDT

How are they getting scripts???

Ok... I have absolutly no experience with drug addiction - be it illegal substances or perscription drugs.  I do, however, work at a Walgreens pharmacy, and thus deal (quite often) with users trying to pass off fake scripts or pretend to be doctors over the phone to call something in.  It is incredibly easy to decifer the difference between a legitimate script and a fake one.  There  are also several checks involved with insurance companies, doctors offices, etc to validate all scripts.  How are users getting away with this?  Are there pharmacies out there that arent living up to the kind of restrictions and policies that Walgreens does? Or are people with legitimate scripts selling them?   The mother on the show right now has access to painkillers that her doctor likely isnt giving her.   If people with legit scripts are selling the drugs that they, themselves need for medical reasons, that is ridiculous.  And if there are pharmacies out there that are vulnerable enough to enable this, that enrages me even more.

May 9, 2007, 7:56 am CDT

Deal with the cause of the ADDICTION PLEASE

Dear Dr Phil and Staff,

Every time I see a show like todays' I become frustrated because these out of control people have three diagnosis but the experts only recognise two. In this case: substance abuse and depression, and emotional trauma. The missing diagnosis is Pyroluria which causes multiple brain chemistry problems --- that make sobriety extremely remote and the courage to look at painful issues vastly harder too. There are two really helpful books for dealing with mood dosorders and diagnosing people who have emotional problems that are caused in part by biological issues that are very common. The first ofthe two books that I mentioned eralier is: "Depression Free Naturally: Seven Weeks to Eliminating, Anxiety, Despair, Fatique and Anger from your Life" By Joan Mathews-Larson PH.D. 1-800-247-6237 She is a PHD nutritionist who lost a teenage child to suicide. After that trauma, she studied all the nutritional research that explains how diet and nutritional deficiencies cause  mood disorders. There is plenty of good research that allopahic doctors never hear about in medical schools. Pyroluria affects one in ten people off the street but no tradtional doctors I have met have ever heard of it. It is a travesty that Doctors and the public at large do not know about this genetically predisposed disease. One in ten people have a substance abuse problem, one in ten people have depression, one in ten people have pyroluria. This is no accident; there is an obvious connection. If your brain cannot produce the neutransmitters it needs, deficiencies develop and people are left to cope in any way they can. Treatment for this invisible disease is simple and involves supplimenting B6 and zinc. There is an easy urine test to confirm it. The disease of pyroluria IS the disease of alcoholism. All of my cousins and siblings have struggled with the same disease, most have had counseling for years, acted out in the typical coping ways: eating, spending, drinking, using; my mother was the worst. I have white-knuckled my way through life, avoiding most addictions and running from the possibility of a mental disease, but after all the therapy, prayer and surrender, all the 12 stelve steps I was still miserable. It wasn't until I starting studing the biological causes of anxiety and depression that my life finally became manageable. The other important book that I aluded to is "the Edge Effect" by Eric Braverman MD. He is in NY and spends most of his time leacturing to other doctors about brain chemistry problems and treatment. His NY clinic number is: 212-213-6155 Both of the books and reseachers who wrote them  took their inspiration from the pioneering work of Carl Pfieffer MD who ran the Brian Bio Research Center at Priinceton in the 1950's. He discovered Pyroluria. . This has been important information since the 1950's and virtually all doctors and Psychiatrists know nothing about it. Some nutritionists know, but their research is ignored by the medical community. In my state you don't have to take a single course in human nutrition to become a licensed Physician. Please don't ignore this email. This is important information and could help one out ten people who watch your show. Please please consider this as a topic for your show. Thanks for listening Valerie

May 9, 2007, 9:48 am CDT

Its not hard!

Quote From: alochsta

Ok... I have absolutly no experience with drug addiction - be it illegal substances or perscription drugs.  I do, however, work at a Walgreens pharmacy, and thus deal (quite often) with users trying to pass off fake scripts or pretend to be doctors over the phone to call something in.  It is incredibly easy to decifer the difference between a legitimate script and a fake one.  There  are also several checks involved with insurance companies, doctors offices, etc to validate all scripts.  How are users getting away with this?  Are there pharmacies out there that arent living up to the kind of restrictions and policies that Walgreens does? Or are people with legitimate scripts selling them?   The mother on the show right now has access to painkillers that her doctor likely isnt giving her.   If people with legit scripts are selling the drugs that they, themselves need for medical reasons, that is ridiculous.  And if there are pharmacies out there that are vulnerable enough to enable this, that enrages me even more.
I used to have an addiction to oxycontin.  Let me tell you, it is not hard to get these drugs.  There are many people I knew who was getting a script for 200 OC 80 mg a week.  So they could easily sell 50 and still have enough for themselves.  I am currently in a treatment center and have been completely clean for about a year.  I know the person I used to get them from got his scripts filled at Walgreens and there were several other people who went to the same doctor and also got their scripts filled at Walgreens.  Some of these people were not only getting OCs but also about 100 methadone pills on top of Vicodins and sometimes oxycodone IRs 30 mg.  It seems to be a problem with the doctors writting the prescriptions, not the pharmacies filling them.  I can assure you more people than you realize have a problem with prescription painkillers.  I would even go to say that a majority of the people at my treatment center had a problem with OCs over heroin.  Lately, I have heard that the abuse of pills is on the rise.  From my experience, it is easier to find painkillers than any other drug.  I am just happy to say I don't have to worry about it anymore.  My life is much better without all the garbage.

May 9, 2007, 10:29 am CDT

Lost Stepson to Methadone OD

My two older stepsons got addicted to around the time my daughter was born (1996). My youngest stepson never went further than a bit of once he saw the danger his brothers were getting into: scary drives into Philly, where dealers would hold guns to his brothers' heads until they ponied up the money. Another time my husband had to drive down and pick up oldest stepson when his car broke down. He had to throw away over $500 in before the cops showed up. I wish to God they HAD found it!

How did this happen? Our story was actually part of a "Dateline NBC" special a few years back. We live in central PA and the town the boys lived in at the time with their mother, stepfather, and three younger half-brothers was one of several in our county that was the target of dealers from Philly who came in like sharks, handing out free samples to kids as young as 10. Once hooked, they went back to Philly or Harrisburg to get more. Also, names of "accommodating doctors" got bandied about, including a particularly bad one in the Harrisburg area. He had already  been kicked out of a group practice for accepting for . My two older stepbrothers soon found themselves any easy way to get ,anything they wanted.. My middle stepson's wife was also badly addicted, and used during her entire pregnancy. By a miracle, their son was born healthy in 2001.

To make things short, my eldest stepson started ODing in 2004. His younger brother revived him twice, without telling anybody. Then my oldest stepson married a very emotionally unstable woman with two children. She only had custody of one of them. When her husband continued to OD, she'd call one of his brothers, instead of 911! The last time we saw him alive was the day after Christmas, 2005. The call came in the early hours of New Year's Eve day. He was of an overdose at the age of 28.

The police are still trying to get the doctor, but even women plants offering haven't tricked him; he knows he's being watched. He sent a certified letter to my middle stepson and wife that he was through with them. Thankfully, they are both now on the Subutex program. My daughter-in-law is pregnant again, so they had to put her on the one-type .

It all sucks, and has upset my 11-year-old daughter horribly. I have to take meds for my bipolar disease, and she sees all as evil.

May 9, 2007, 10:33 am CDT

Culture difference in marrige

Hello Dr. Phil.

I really appriciate your show. Your shows helped my life a lot. ( For example, My husband talks on the phone with her female friend 40 minutes to 2 hours everyweek. I was stunned by this information. And we had huge fight. He was equizing me to being stupid jeoulus. He washed my brian that thi is normal. After all I feel so guilty that I mad at him because of that. However, a week later I wathed Dr Phil show. Show was exactly about it. Dr phil told couple that " Husband should be faithful for the marriage talking with female friend hours is not normal" I showed show for my husband. I proved that my feeling was normal because of Dr phil).

I want Dr. Phil to have show about culturel diffrence in marriage. I am sure there are so many couples that grow up in different countries. For me. sometimes I feel that my marriege is so hard to live my wholelife.

Surprisingly,  Me and my husband understood or accepted things so diffrently. One thing is normal for him but for me unacceptable.

I want to know

May 9, 2007, 10:36 am CDT

I wondered the same thing

Quote From: alochsta

The Mom had a plethora of prescription meds.  I'm guessing she "Dr. shops".  I guess I'm just a nerd but I hadn't even heard of some of the stuff she was taking.

May 9, 2007, 11:00 am CDT

Living with the family disease of addiction

I was married to my husband for 10 years.  We had it all too.  We had a business, a house, a car, 5 kids, and a great life.  What I didn't know almost killed me.

My husband had been addicted to methamphetamines almost all of our marriage.  He started with alcohol, then the cocaine, then pills, then meth, then all of them at once. 

I was oblivious to it all.  It had to get really bad before the little red flags caught my eye.  Before I knew it, they were big, red, lifethreatening flags. 

I started going to Al Anon in 2004.  It saved my life.  That was before I knew about the drugs. 

I found out about the drugs after I left.  I had a suspicion before, but it wasn't until I left I could see the forest through the trees and tell the truth about my life.  I started writing about my experiences on a blog, www.monicasplace.blogspot.com.  Everyone said it was like a movie, my experiences were so unreal.  Unfortunately, my experiences of living with a meth addict are real, and so are many other people's.

I remember sitting on my bed, with a bottle of sleeping pills, and a knife from my kitchen, trying not to kill myself.  I got the yellow pages out, thinking that I was so desperate, I would do anything to get better.  I had tried everything:  counceling, al anon, religion, friends, family, antidepressants, excersize, yoga, nutrition, everything, and yet I was suicidal.  I needed help, and I needed serious help fast.  And remember, I was the non-user in the family.  I was supposed to be the "sane" one.  This is the family disease of addiction. 

I opened the yellow pages, looking for a treatment facility.  I called everyone.  NO one could help.  All of the help was for the alcoholic/addict.  I was stunned.  There is a vaccuum/void here. 

I didn't get help.  I took the pills.  Thank God, I woke up the next morning.  I did go to a meeting, and finally I got out.  That was the trick.  I was going to die faster than my addict at the rate I was going. 

Since I got out, now I am left with dealing with the wreckage of my past life with the addict.  He is in prison now, and as long as he is in, I am safe.  However, the absence of the addict in my life did not cure the disease I live with everyday.  I have to work my own program so I can recover from the effects of addiction in my life.  He was not my only addict.  There were many "warm up" acts before him.  I am the common denominator. 

I have to change me, because that is the only person I have control over.  And sometimes not even that.  It has been 3 years now since I decided to tell the truth about myself and my life.  It hasn't been easy, but it has been worth it. 

I want a program Dr. Phil, that addresses just the needs and treatment of the family or friend of the alcoholic/addict, and does NOT focus on the addict getting help.  Sometimes we are the sicker one of the two.

May 9, 2007, 11:00 am CDT

as a dr phil fan

I found myself totally surprised that anyone would try to lie, after they know they are being watched, what are they thinking?

May 9, 2007, 11:36 am CDT

Remembering

Hello all:

I am a fairly new viewer of the Dr. Phil show and just wanted to "chime" in on the message board with a few thoughts.  The show today prompted me to post a message regarding the episode entitled "Secrets of Desperate Housewives" which aired of few years ago.  Unfortunately, I did not get to see the show but did get the chance to view the transcripts online.  I was very impressed with the format of the format and the techniques Dr. Phil has used in addressing such problems as "addictions".  In my opinion, the "Desperate Housewives" show covered the most versatile and gut wrenching topics that anyone could experience especially women.  All the messages of addictions reminded me of this most memorable show of all time and one of my favorite memorable guest which would be Deborah.  It takes a great deal of courage and strength to go on national television admitting you have an addiction to your spouse let alone the whole world.  The show wiped out the theory that some people have about others having so called "pefect lives".  I regret that was not watching the show when it aired two years ago because now I am expensing the cost of the tapes which I wouldn't do for just any show.  I have written into the Dr. Phil show about the show and how I was impressed with the process of bringing women together from around the world who desperately needed help with their painful secrets.  I believe this show or one like it is worth repeating.  I hope former guests still read this message board because I want to commend Deborah and the rest of the women for their strong influences on the show.  My heart still goes out to all of you and hope that you all are doing well.  Good luck to today's guests hoping for a successful recovery.  I also wanted to note the comment made by the son in the show about not having insurance to help pay to get  his pain problem corrected.  Lack of insurance is a growing problem in America and definitely needs addressing for a better solution.  I know that pain clinics are very expensive since I have been to them myself and would not be able to do so without the help of insurance.  I just had to that two cents in there but that is only a very small part of the problem for today's show.  Anyway, thanks for letting me get this off my chest and I hope to see more shows like these in the future.  Thanks again to the women of "Desperate Housewives" for making me even more aware that things are not always as they seem.  All thoughts are welcome and appreciated.  Take care.

Joyce..:)

May 9, 2007, 12:11 pm CDT

Not always pretty

Quote From: dmlady40

And to wish I was able to get off the narcotics.I am a chronic pain person and I would certainly love DR Phills help. is there a way to get pain patienst off these drugs. I feel trapped and not able to go anywhere because i have to make sure that i wont run out of my medications.

you should be greatful he's there to help you. I wish I could tell my story,so he can help me,however i am so confused if i would be doing the right thing. my pain doc said whenever i am ready. ive been ready my bod beeing in so much pain confuses me if this is the right thing to do,however i would NEVER go to the treatment centers in my area,I know of to many people say it was the worst experience in there lives and they just put you in a bed and let you suffer I wuld take Dr Phills advice as long as it wont hurt me anymore by sending me to a place that your just a number.

D Mlady

dmlady40@aol.com

I read your quote and couldn't help but chime in. I work in a drug and alcohol treatment center. It is ALWAYS helpfull to get help if you believe you have a problem or even if you don't see it in yourself and others do. The treatment center in your area may not be as bad as you think. it seems so nice that dr. phil asks people to get help for their families and themselves and they agree.. what you don't see is that every person with a real addiction has to be detoxed before they can be counseled. and in that case, you suffer very much and other than medications there isn't much a treatment/detox center can do for you other than let you lie in the bed and take it so that you can get clean in order to beat your addiction. in some cases it's very horrible and people are very sick and actually in physical pain ( depending on your drug). But realizing that is what you have to do and following through is the part people have a problem with. I hope you do get help. and I'm sure if you told your dr. that you do think you have a problem with your medication that he would help you. good luck

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last