Message Boards

Topic : Bipolar Disorder

Number of Replies: 6639
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:57:16 am
Author : dataimport

Patients suffering from Bipolar disorder face many difficult challenges. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

If you believe you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages. You can also find more help on our General and Mental Health Resources page

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 26, 2009, 7:27 pm CDT

Bipolar Disorder

Quote From: jetta311

He likely has schizophrenia and I know from my experience with this illness that Geodon doesn't work for schizophrenia (just by what others said in the hospital when I was hospitalized), but doctors likely don't want to diagnosis him with that.  I have schizophrenia and take 20 mgs. of Abilify and am doing fine, fully sane (with meds of course), and able to participate in life fully.  Risperidal is also heavily prescribed for sz., but that causes weight gain, I gained 50 lbs in 6 months when I took it.  So I asked to change meds, relasped and eventually got the right dose and stopped hearing voices.  My voices weren't about killing people, that's got to be frightening.  Take him to a psychologist, I went to the University Hospital before I was fixed.  Good luck to you.  
He is NOT sick.  I have been suffering with this curse for over 10 years.  I have been institutionalized 7 times and I am still the same person.  I take Zyprexa, and when I am medicated the stormy weather dispurses.  His problem is that he is way too damn smart and he knows way too much.  PUT HIM IN COLLEGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2009, 9:20 am CDT

understand

Quote From: jetta311

He likely has schizophrenia and I know from my experience with this illness that Geodon doesn't work for schizophrenia (just by what others said in the hospital when I was hospitalized), but doctors likely don't want to diagnosis him with that.  I have schizophrenia and take 20 mgs. of Abilify and am doing fine, fully sane (with meds of course), and able to participate in life fully.  Risperidal is also heavily prescribed for sz., but that causes weight gain, I gained 50 lbs in 6 months when I took it.  So I asked to change meds, relasped and eventually got the right dose and stopped hearing voices.  My voices weren't about killing people, that's got to be frightening.  Take him to a psychologist, I went to the University Hospital before I was fixed.  Good luck to you.  
sorry if i miss spell i can't help it. i no what you son is going throught i have the same illness. and it no walk in the park. i am 45 and rapid cycle biplor, maina depression, panic attachs, numbers of more problems. the way i find peace is by my horses. they keep me going. and if i am not able my son cares for them. find him something that he really loves and stick it in his face at times. he may be able to control the voices and depression alittle better. another thing the helped me (but still very sick) is adderal. for adhd kids. it may not be for him but it cant hurt either.  i also take alot of anitsicotic med and they worked with the addreal. hoped i helped

June 14, 2009, 10:08 pm CDT

Hope to read something,that might help me,Rx,DR,??

First time ever posting anything,i wish i had the strength to write and say what i have read of many of you all,most of the time i can't hold a thought long enough to say are ask anything, had no idea what B.P.A.D. stood for, i finally got the strength and nerve to look it up on-line, and also read what the state  P,DR. said,... So i guess with being abused all of my childhood and beyond, being suicidal,..Living with the hate of myself,.Punishing myself with physical pain,eating disorders, and who know what else..so it's my fault for becoming Bipolar, that would be my first question...why,...how...did i become this way,...not that i can ever remember having a great life to start with,,, hoping....Lastlife

June 20, 2009, 3:46 am CDT

I understand you.

Quote From: lastlife

First time ever posting anything,i wish i had the strength to write and say what i have read of many of you all,most of the time i can't hold a thought long enough to say are ask anything, had no idea what B.P.A.D. stood for, i finally got the strength and nerve to look it up on-line, and also read what the state  P,DR. said,... So i guess with being abused all of my childhood and beyond, being suicidal,..Living with the hate of myself,.Punishing myself with physical pain,eating disorders, and who know what else..so it's my fault for becoming Bipolar, that would be my first question...why,...how...did i become this way,...not that i can ever remember having a great life to start with,,, hoping....Lastlife

Hi. I sure do hope you read this message at some point. I typically don't go on the bipolar board but my instincts told me to come here.

I am not a doctor, or a shrink, just a girl that has also had a life that you mentioned you had and I can totally understand why you would feel your childhood has contributed to your bipolar dx. I was very lucky to have had a strong faith in life, despite its disappointments. It takes a very strong mind to survive such a childhood or young adulthood, some of us of better equipped, some of us aren't. There is something that you really got to try to understand, ok?  When a person is subjected to abuse, in any way, the mind and the spirit have to take over and protect us. Its a kind of survival of the fittest mode. Having survived, like you did, brought with it some residue of how you felt best to survive at that time.

Lets put the psychobabble away for a second. There is also a possibility that it is a chemical imbalance which is adding fire to this flame, too, ok? Again, the body psysiologically takes matters into its own hands.....just to survive. So digestion becomes out of whack, (eating disorder) brain activity goes into a mode of what is right, what is wrong, and after a while, constant negative feedback, well, the brain then starts to believe what we tell it, and begins the cycle of what you are calling bipolar, I would like to call it the brain taking care of itself to adjust to the constant conflictions. Then something really bad happens, we lose ourselves. We lose the self that was intended for happiness, success, freedom, love. When we lose ourselves, then begins the cycle of making poor choices, doing things "I normally wouldn't do", then comes the beating up....why??????? Because we are angry. We are angry at ourselves because we have failed at surviving.  Then that cycle begins.

The only real way out of it is to get the dx, like you did. Good for you. Now that you know what is going on, you can start healing and moving forward in a life that is not necessarily free from suffering, life is suffering, there is no way around that, but self inflicted suffering is a gift for us to see how we are stopping ourselves from having the life that is our right--------but was taken away from us due to circumstances.

You are needed here. We need you here. You are a good person, a loving person, and deserve to be happy, like all of us. You bring with you great compassion and an understanding of human suffering, and we need you to share your story, so that others can also feel free to tell theirs, so that they can move on.

I want to thank you for your honesty and I want to thank you for allowing me to share my story. You are not alone.  You can make a difference for many, think about it?  Kimi

July 19, 2009, 11:51 pm CDT

Bipolar survival

I have not been on Dr. Phil's website for a long time.  I have a daughter who suffers from bipolar and it runs in my family.  She had gone through alot and she still finds the strength to as she says "have a plan". I struggle with what is enabling and what is saving her life.  She has a compassionate heart, and her gift of that leads her to go with people that harm her.  I pray for her all of the time and have asked God to heal her.  She has been near death many times and also had miracles.  I love her very much and want her to be o.k., that is all I have always wanted.  She was told she could never have kids due to endomitriousis but has a beautiful 4 month baby girl.  I pray that the father gets help for anger management, she had a black eye last week, and a concussion a couple of weeks before that.  To top it off, she was in a car accident (not her fault) on her way to work, her car was totaled and her job fired her b/c she broke her right elbow and couldn't return to work.  Turns out Texas law was legal in firing her.  It just seems no matter how hard she tries she gets knocked down.  There is so much more.....but my 16 yr. old daughter wants me to come up and turn off her light.  She sufferes from OCD, but b/c of meds and therapy is doing well.

I havent' been on the message boards for years, but wanted to ask Dr. Phil to do more shows on this subject and especially what is enabling and what isn't when one has a child with mental health. 

July 21, 2009, 11:32 pm CDT

lost

It has been a very long time........... hello to all new and old friends out there my son just turned 9 and he has bipolar with adhd been though it all with him D.r ,med.s,mental hospital etc. and then I recently came to my last option that was to place him in the care of the state so he could get the help he needs and guess what there no light at the end of the tunnel it just gets darker and darker there is no hope I know he is were he needs to be but I fell as though I have lost him forever I can only see him every 2 weeks and 1 -10min. phone call a week as time goes on it is getting harder to deal or accept what has happened to anyone who reads this please take my advice cherish every moment you can with your kids even the Little things especially the little things example if they ask to go to the park and let's say the laundry is not done at that moment grab that opportunity right there go take them to the park screw the laundry mind you can't do it every time but do your best to make it happened live for the moment I'll give only one more example I also have a 6y daughter as well the other day we had a mommy daughter day popcorn movie then I painted her toe nails and then she did mine (little tip have lots of finger nail polish remover if you decide to do this lots ) but she was so proud of what she did for me as was I and for you dad's out there same goes for you I know I don't sound LOST but I really am in a way because I can't understand why did GOD give this miracle my son and I can't have him WHY WHY WHY this may sound wrong of me to say but I would sale my soul to the devil if I thought it would help him well thank you to all the read this

July 27, 2009, 2:20 pm CDT

nobody out there

anyone out there?????????????????????????????????????????????

August 19, 2009, 4:40 pm CDT

Bipolar Disorder

thanks helpful information.

August 19, 2009, 7:13 pm CDT

Bipolar Disorder

Bipolar Disaster is a kinds of depression.... I'm still seek an articles about it... Maybe anyone wanna share too???

First | Prev | 659 | 660 | 661 | 662 | 663 | 664 | Next Page | Last Page