Message Boards

Topic : Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

Number of Replies: 784
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:58:51 am
Author : dataimport
Do you have an irrational fear of flying, spiders, leaving your home, or one of a host of other fears? Do you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks? You're not alone. Join those who understand as we struggle to overcome our fears.

Anxiety Disorder Resources

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 12, 2005, 8:04 am CST

Hi whois333

Quote From: whois333

Hi all.  I'm a 33 y/o single mom of 1 who has been on disability for 3 years now because of chronic depression & acute anxiety attacks.  I've been on meds for it for 9 years. 

I've been to 2 therapists, neither of which would do anything except basically ask me 'How's it going'.  I'm on Medicaid because I'm poor, and I can't even find a doctor to treat me. 

I've lived the last 7 years raising my daughter and nothing else.  Dealing with a controlling mother, dealing with being broke every month,etc. 

I have no friends, haven't had a date in over 7 years (since I left my daughters' dad), and I'm to the end of my rope. 

Last winter, my doctor at the time said I needed light therapy, but of course the insurance wouldn't pay for it, and every winter I get into a major depression, no matter how hard I try not to. 

I've been sick for almost 2 weeks now, had to go to the ER because I was almost passing out and that was causing me to panic, so it was the most HORRIBLE feeling in the world.  Just when I was starting to feel better, today I'm nauseous and having diarreah.  I'm so TIRED, I'm sick of being sick, I'm sick of being alone, I'm sick of being broke.  I can't work and even if I could, because of the changes in the state Medicaid, any money I'd make would go straight to the state!  So I can't even get a job because they would take any money I made. 

I'm at the very end of trying to figure out what to do.  I can't get medical help, I have no friends or family that can offer emotional help, I don't know what to do. 

Lately I've had the lowest feelings washing over me and I'm tired of hanging on.  I almost just want to let go and let it take me.  I'm tired of fighting and I can't get better.  My daughter would be better off without me, but I'm afraid of who she'd be left with because her father has never been involved with her and he's a drunk and a drug user and he won't even pay child support, he hides his income, he abuses his girlfriends, and I don't want my baby living with him. 

I have nowhere and no one to turn to.  I need a miracle to save me.   

I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad.  I've been where you are.  Feeling there is no way out.  Hopeless, tired, scared, and lost.  There really is a way to get out.   

You can read my posts and maybe get an idea that I've been where you are.   

You have begun your journey!  You have reached out for help.  You are indeed fortunate to have posted on this site because there is a WONDERFUL man that posts here and offers help that WILL help!  GUARANTEED!  He posts under the name of pinetree.  Do get in touch with him.   

If you need support on you journey,  I'd love to help.  I'm "working" with pinetree also.  I still need support also.  It is very important.   Take care....Mary 

November 13, 2005, 11:29 am CST

Anxiety Disorders can be overcome

Quote From: whois333

Hi all.  I'm a 33 y/o single mom of 1 who has been on disability for 3 years now because of chronic depression & acute anxiety attacks.  I've been on meds for it for 9 years. 

I've been to 2 therapists, neither of which would do anything except basically ask me 'How's it going'.  I'm on Medicaid because I'm poor, and I can't even find a doctor to treat me. 

I've lived the last 7 years raising my daughter and nothing else.  Dealing with a controlling mother, dealing with being broke every month,etc. 

I have no friends, haven't had a date in over 7 years (since I left my daughters' dad), and I'm to the end of my rope. 

Last winter, my doctor at the time said I needed light therapy, but of course the insurance wouldn't pay for it, and every winter I get into a major depression, no matter how hard I try not to. 

I've been sick for almost 2 weeks now, had to go to the ER because I was almost passing out and that was causing me to panic, so it was the most HORRIBLE feeling in the world.  Just when I was starting to feel better, today I'm nauseous and having diarreah.  I'm so TIRED, I'm sick of being sick, I'm sick of being alone, I'm sick of being broke.  I can't work and even if I could, because of the changes in the state Medicaid, any money I'd make would go straight to the state!  So I can't even get a job because they would take any money I made. 

I'm at the very end of trying to figure out what to do.  I can't get medical help, I have no friends or family that can offer emotional help, I don't know what to do. 

Lately I've had the lowest feelings washing over me and I'm tired of hanging on.  I almost just want to let go and let it take me.  I'm tired of fighting and I can't get better.  My daughter would be better off without me, but I'm afraid of who she'd be left with because her father has never been involved with her and he's a drunk and a drug user and he won't even pay child support, he hides his income, he abuses his girlfriends, and I don't want my baby living with him. 

I have nowhere and no one to turn to.  I need a miracle to save me.   

Hi whois333,  

This is pinetree.  I notice that Mary posted a message to you, about me.   Mary is in the group, as she mentioned, and says that my information has been very helpful to her.  

Anxiety disorders can be overcome using Dr. Richards CBT course.   My son, Dave suffered from agoraphobia and GAD all his life, 43 years, until about six months ago when he overcame his illness using CBT.  A year ago he became totally unemployable, because of the intense fear brought on by his illness.  He could not even leave the house on some days to buy a quart of milk, let alone work.   

He is now in partnership with a friend in the construction business, and works from 8 to 16 hours a day, and just loves his work.  

A year ago  his greatest wish was to go to sleep and never wake up to put him out of his lifetime jail sentence of fear and misery.  He now looks forward to the future with optimism  and hope.    

If he could do it, so can you.  For more info. e-mail me at; rowdens@shaw.ca    

I sent you a post yesterday, but got no rely.  I urge you to contact me.   

I'm glad to see that Mary contacted you.  I think she could be of great help. 

Pat 

November 13, 2005, 9:17 pm CST

My stupid fear!

I have an intense fear of any noise that is louder than the click of a computer mouse. I flinch whenever anyone talks to me, or shouts, or when a door slams...I can go on forever. It just makes my heart start to race and I just get freaked out! I start having severe panic attacks during pep assembalies at my school and etc. and etc!!!!

November 14, 2005, 6:19 am CST

Fears and Phobias

Quote From: devdev

I have an intense fear of any noise that is louder than the click of a computer mouse. I flinch whenever anyone talks to me, or shouts, or when a door slams...I can go on forever. It just makes my heart start to race and I just get freaked out! I start having severe panic attacks during pep assembalies at my school and etc. and etc!!!!

Basic Facts on Panic Attacks  

"I’m losing control....."

"I feel like I’m going crazy....." 

"I must be having a heart attack....." 

"I’m smothering and I can’t breathe....." 

"It came upon me by surprise. I began to feel wave after wave of fear and my stomach gave out on me. I could hear my heart pounding so loudly I thought it would come out of my chest. Pains were shooting down my legs. I became so afraid I couldn’t catch my breath. What was happening to me? Was I having a heart attack? Was I dying?" 

Panic attacks are very real, very awful, and emotionally debilitating. Many people who experience their first panic attack find themselves at hospital emergency rooms......or at doctors’ offices -- prepared to hear the very worst news possible about their health.  

When they don’t hear that they’ve had a life-threatening condition (such as a heart attack), this news may actually increase their anxiety and frustration: ".....if I am physically OK, what happened to me? I experienced something so dreadful I can’t even explain it. So what’s happening to me?"  

If a person with panic goes undiagnosed, they can bounce around from doctor to doctor for years on end without experiencing any relief.  Instead, it becomes more and more frustrating to the panic sufferer as no one is able to pinpoint the problem and provide any kind of help. 

Because the symptoms of panic are very real, the anxiety is so traumatizing, and the whole experience is new and strange, a panic attack is one of the worst experiences a person can have.   

On top of the attack, there is always the nagging uncertainty, "When will this happen to me again?"  

Some people become so frightened of having additional panic attacks, especially in public, that they withdraw to their "safe zones", usually their homes, and very rarely leave them.  This condition is known as agoraphobia.  Note that the person with agoraphobia does not enjoy having their life so restricted; it is a depressing and miserable existence. It is the fear of having further panic attacks that keeps them bound close to home. 

Over four million Americans suffer from panic attacks, according to the National Institutes of Mental Health. That number is about 5% of the adult American population. Many researchers feel that even this number is a low estimate, because many people who experience panic attacks never receive the proper diagnosis and "live" with it, despite its horror and its constant terror.  

What is a panic attack? 

A panic attack can only be described as a comprehensive emotional nightmare. Some people with panic feel like they are in an escalating cycle of catastrophe and doom and that something bad is going to happen to them "right now this very moment." 

Others feel as if they are having a heart attack as their heart races. The heart palpitations convince them that they are about to have an attack. Other people feel that they are going to "lose control" of themselves and will do something embarrassing in front of other people. Others breathe so quickly, gasping for air, that they hyperventilate and feel like they will suffocate from lack of oxygen.  

Common symptoms of panic include: 

a racing or pounding heartbeat  

dizziness and lightheadedness 

feeling that "I can’t catch my breath"  

chest pains or a "heaviness" in the chest 

flushes or chills 

tingling in the hands, feet, legs, arms 

jumpiness, trembling, twitching muscles 

sweaty palms, flushed face 

terror 

fear of losing control  

fear of a stroke that will lead to disability 

fear of dying 

fear of going crazy 

A panic attack typically lasts several long minutes and is one of the most distressing conditions a person can experience. In some cases, panic attacks have been known to last for longer periods of time or to recur very quickly over and over again.  

The aftermath of a panic attack is very painful. Feelings of depression and helplessness are usually experienced. The greatest fear is that the panic attack will come back again and again, making life too miserable to bear. 

Panic is not necessarily brought on by a recognizable circumstance, and it may remain a mystery to the person involved. These attacks come "out of the blue". At other times, excessive stress or other negative life conditions can trigger an attack. 

Sadly, many people do not seek help for panic attacks, agoraphobia, and anxiety-related difficulties. This is especially tragic because panic and other anxiety disorders are treatable conditions that respond well to relatively short-term therapy. The National Institutes of Mental Health is currently conducting a nationwide campaign to educate the general public and health care practitioners that panic and the other anxiety disorders are some of the most successfully treated psychological problems. Clinical research provides us with a solid blueprint of cognitive, emotional and behavioral methods that can help us overcome anxiety disorders, such as panic and/or agoraphobia.  

Today, panic attacks and agoraphobia can be treated successfully in the vast majority of cases. In fact, it is estimated that the appropriate therapy from a knowledgeable therapist helps over 90% of panic sufferers.  

Cognitive/behavioral therapy is a relatively new treatment for panic and agoraphobia that has been shown to be successful. Instead of using old-fashioned analysis-based techniques, therapists employing new CBT methods focus on the present panic -- and how to eliminate it.  

Thus, CBT has legitimately been called "how to" therapy. That is, the focus is on "how to" eliminate the thoughts and feelings that lead to the vicious cycle of panic and anxiety. 

People who experience panic and agoraphobia, are not "crazy" and do not need to be in therapy for extended periods of time. Sessions depend on the severity and length of the problem and the willingness of the client to actively participate in treatment.  

When a person with panic is motivated to practice and try new techniques, that person is literally changing the way their brain responds. When you change the way your brain responds, anxiety and panic will continue to shrink and shrink and cease to cause you problems. 

Hi,   

I am offering a free CBT course online for people suffering from anxiety disorders like panci disorder.  For more info. e-mail: rowdens@shaw.ca 

November 14, 2005, 5:51 pm CST

no privacy

Quote From: mmast55

Sorry it took so long to reply.  I had written you a long e-mail and sent it, but it didn't go through!  Really #*!!'ed me off!  These e-mails take me so long to write sometimes!   

Anyway, you sound like you're a wonderful mother!  Giving your children lots of hugs and kisses, letting them know that they are special and loved.  I can't think of anything more important to give your children.  A strong foundation.  It's especially wonderful considering the family you grew up in.  Thank God you had the insight. 

I too grew up in a similiar family.  I never remember my mom telling me she loved me.  Never any hugs, kisses or any type of affection.  She was always angry!  Always yelling at us.  Felt like a burden.  Couldn't do anything right.  There were 7 children, no father.  I understand today why she behaved the way she did, but that doesn't take away the damage it caused.  I realize that I have to give myself the love she wasn't able to.  (Not easy when you think you are nothing). 

So how do you feel when you do go "out"?  Do you ever have anxiety when you are home?  How are you if "people" come into your home?   

I'm making a strong attempt to defeat this thing.  I have to be honest and admit I've just been coasting for quite awile now.  I've arranged my life according to the fear.  I'm tired of it!   

Before I started taking prozac in 90, I worked VERY HARD on defeating this fear.  Therapy, 12 step groups, prayer, exercise, ate right, worked at McDonald's (in an attempt to overcome my fear by putting myself in a very public place), took classes and worked at a junior college.  I did all of this while my agoraphobia was full blown.  I don't know where I found the strenght.   

After 2 solid years of this, I gave up.  My counselor than suggested prozac.  I was very hesitant.  I finally took it, figuring "what do I have to loose?"  Prozac helped tremendiousely in reducing the symptons of anxiety!  I felt like I was let out of my prison, for at least awhile.  Then slowly the fears returned.  Nothing like they where before, but enough to stifle my life once again.  I was SO TIRED of fighting this fear, that I kinda gave up fighting.  The fear was more manageable.  So I guess I've been coasting ever since.  It makes me sad that I have wasted so much of my life.   

So I'm ready to take this fear on again!  I'm doing something about it!  I've started working on a workbook that deals with anxieties.  There's another guy that has posted on this sight (pinetree) that offers free handouts from a Dr. Richards.  I've been in contact with him and have recieved several "bits" of very useful ingormation.  We can beat this thing Kathy!  It all starts in our mind and all the negative things we tell ourselves!   Shall we do it together? 

Hope all is well with you and your family.  Take care....Mary 

Hi Mary,   Lot's of hurting in my heart right now,  Don't feel I can talk on here , my family uses this computer, my daughter I know checks in on here.  She's a nosy one.  Well I hope your doing ok,  I'm going to check that rowden address out.    Kathy

November 15, 2005, 8:02 am CST

Fears and Phobias

Quote From: homebnd55

Hi Mary,   Lot's of hurting in my heart right now,  Don't feel I can talk on here , my family uses this computer, my daughter I know checks in on here.  She's a nosy one.  Well I hope your doing ok,  I'm going to check that rowden address out.    Kathy

Hi Kathy.......So glad to hear from you!  I was beginning to worry.  Hadn't heard from you in awhile. 

I'm sorry you're feeling down.  Not a good place to be.  I wish you felt "safe" communicating here.  It always helps me so much when I'm feeling down, to be able to talk about it and get it out of my  system. 

Are you able to set up private e-mail accounts on your computor?  I'd be glad to give you my address.  That way, no one could read your mail because you need a password to access it.  If you're not comfortable giving out your e-mail address, You could set up a free yahoo address.  I just set one up for me recently.  Not really too hard to set up.   

I'm still plugg'n away at coping with this wonderful affliction!  It really does help to be proactive.  Reading, doing exercises keeps me aware that I have a choice in how I react to these fearful emotions.  Little by little..... 

Yesterday was a "bad" day, but I didn't let it get the best of me.  I just kept going and didn't let  it get the best of me.  I would stop occasionally to sit and do deep breathing exercises and repeat positive affirmations.  Went for a walk, even though it was raining.  Forced myself to go out to a store.  I was not going to stay home out of fear and let this anxiety win.  It went okay at the store.  Wasn't totally relaxed, but it was managable.  Was practicing positive talking in the store also.  I didn't fight the anxiety.  So what, maybe today didn't go as well as I would've liked, BUT there is tommorrow and I have been able to shop anxiety free before and I will again.  Somewhere I heard the phrase,  "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you".    

Did you watch Oprah yesterday?  Her 20th year celebration?  It was so cool!  I was bawling like a baby when Sidney Poitier came out!!!!!  I LOVE OPRAH!! 

I hope you feel better soon.....Let me know if I can be of any help...Be kind to yourself.... Mary 

November 16, 2005, 6:03 am CST

New Here!!

I am new here but I do so enjoy watching the Dr. Phil show everyday.   I do not know how to start but will give it a shot.  I have not driven a car since 1994, we lived in a town where every thing was close enough that no car was needed.  So we walked every where.  Since then a lot of things have changed in my life.  My children no longer have anything to do with me, I am not able to get out of the house to work, trying to get disability, I am on medication for depression, hypothyroidism, fluid retention and anxiety disorder.  I stay pretty much in the house and go nowhere if I have to ride in a vehicle,  I get really scared when I have to get into a vehicle of any kind, bus included.  So I no longer go grocery shopping or just shopping at all, my husband does that and sometimes I feel as though I have become a burden to  him and he does not deserve that.  I have no friends and do not make friends easily.  So am pretty much alone here.  Husband works nights and sleeps days I try to sleep at night, some times I cannot sleep at all and have gone for 3 days some times without sleep at all.  Other times I can sleep at night and up all day and other times I can sit here and fall asleep at the computer.   About the only time I get out of the house is to go to the post office or the laundry mat.  I have other problems too but do not want to burden any one with them.  I do not know if being here will help me at all but need to try something.  I am so lonely all of the time lately.

November 16, 2005, 10:03 am CST

I can help

Quote From: ladyjan

I am new here but I do so enjoy watching the Dr. Phil show everyday.   I do not know how to start but will give it a shot.  I have not driven a car since 1994, we lived in a town where every thing was close enough that no car was needed.  So we walked every where.  Since then a lot of things have changed in my life.  My children no longer have anything to do with me, I am not able to get out of the house to work, trying to get disability, I am on medication for depression, hypothyroidism, fluid retention and anxiety disorder.  I stay pretty much in the house and go nowhere if I have to ride in a vehicle,  I get really scared when I have to get into a vehicle of any kind, bus included.  So I no longer go grocery shopping or just shopping at all, my husband does that and sometimes I feel as though I have become a burden to  him and he does not deserve that.  I have no friends and do not make friends easily.  So am pretty much alone here.  Husband works nights and sleeps days I try to sleep at night, some times I cannot sleep at all and have gone for 3 days some times without sleep at all.  Other times I can sleep at night and up all day and other times I can sit here and fall asleep at the computer.   About the only time I get out of the house is to go to the post office or the laundry mat.  I have other problems too but do not want to burden any one with them.  I do not know if being here will help me at all but need to try something.  I am so lonely all of the time lately.

Hi,  

I just read your posting and I can help.  See my other postings under "pinetree" 

Pat 

November 16, 2005, 2:24 pm CST

Fears and Phobias

Quote From: pinetree

Hi,  

I just read your posting and I can help.  See my other postings under "pinetree" 

Pat 

Hi, 

How can you help me?  I have read some of your other postings. 

November 16, 2005, 8:11 pm CST

fears and phobias

Has anyone investigated this thing called Mobbing, also known as Gangstallking? Check it out on your computer. It is widespread, it is going on worldwide. It is a real, awful thing that is being done to people and something should be done about it.  I have experienced it myself and i know many people who have also experienced it, in fact we are all still experiencing it.  These things are happening to us on a daily basis. Clerks are rude, bus drivers, landlords, we run into problems all day long. No wonder there is so much depression and mental anguish with all this abuse we are faced with every day. I hope you will all look it up and discover what is being done. It is not all in our minds.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last