Message Boards

Topic : Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

Number of Replies: 784
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:58:51 am
Author : dataimport
Do you have an irrational fear of flying, spiders, leaving your home, or one of a host of other fears? Do you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks? You're not alone. Join those who understand as we struggle to overcome our fears.

Anxiety Disorder Resources

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 25, 2005, 4:32 pm CDT

Fears and Phobias

I'm not really sure if this is the right post for me, since I'm not sure my fear is really irrational. I mean, the extent is irrational, but maybe not the content. I'm afraid of men, most of the time, and I have panic attacks in the classroom (I study at University). It's paralyzing, and now I have to take medication for it. I can't go into a seminar if I'm even a minute late b/c I think people will look at me. I never speak even though it jeapordizes my future in academia because I'm so afraid the professor will notice me. I also freak out in crowds, but the classroom is still the most terrifying. I guess this all comes from me having been raped my professor at the school I went to before; but still! It's been since 2002 (late spring). I've been seeing a psychiatrist twice a week for more than two years, close to two-and-a-half (thank G-d for medicare), and I'm still like this. I guess I just want some reassurance that it will get better, since at the end of next year I hope to return to my former school and train to be a psychiartic nurse. Having been committed to a psychiatric institution myself, I know just how much good dedicated people can do, and I don't want to give up my dream because I am still too afraid to face the environment it's lodged in.

July 28, 2005, 9:25 pm CDT

Sunny days ahead

Quote From: annanut

I'm not really sure if this is the right post for me, since I'm not sure my fear is really irrational. I mean, the extent is irrational, but maybe not the content. I'm afraid of men, most of the time, and I have panic attacks in the classroom (I study at University). It's paralyzing, and now I have to take medication for it. I can't go into a seminar if I'm even a minute late b/c I think people will look at me. I never speak even though it jeapordizes my future in academia because I'm so afraid the professor will notice me. I also freak out in crowds, but the classroom is still the most terrifying. I guess this all comes from me having been raped my professor at the school I went to before; but still! It's been since 2002 (late spring). I've been seeing a psychiatrist twice a week for more than two years, close to two-and-a-half (thank G-d for medicare), and I'm still like this. I guess I just want some reassurance that it will get better, since at the end of next year I hope to return to my former school and train to be a psychiartic nurse. Having been committed to a psychiatric institution myself, I know just how much good dedicated people can do, and I don't want to give up my dream because I am still too afraid to face the environment it's lodged in.
I too suffered panic attacks and paralyzing fear for over five years after being a victim of kidnapping and attempted murder by a man I left after a bad relationship. I hid myself away behind closed curtains for years, only venturing outside when I had someone with me. I never spoke to people I didn't know, and I would sweat uncontrollably when I was left alone with a male in a waitingroom, queue or elevator. I was medicated (and still am on anti-depressants) and eventually institutionalised. I didn't take a step forward until the man who assaulted me was jailed, which was when I moved to another State and changed my name. When I changed my "identity" I kept telling myself that the old me had been left behind in the last town. I got a job, made some friends and finally started to live in the "outside" again. That sounds easy huh? Not so. It's baby steps every day. And five years of baby steps amount to a whole hang of a lot of steps. The nightmares still happen frequently, but I'm learning to overcome those. I still stop breathing everytime I see someone who looks similar to my attacker, but I'm slowly starting to listen to the rational side of my consciousness that tells me they aren't the same person. It's a long slow process, but it really can happen. We can only be victims if we allow it. I don't like the "victim" tag. I prefer to now think of myself as a survivor. I overcame something and went on to become stronger than I was before. You can too. Find your smiles again and hang on to them, for nobody can take those away from us unless we let them.

July 31, 2005, 5:17 am CDT

I have comeover alot..

of my fears...But there is one more I have to be brave about and I am really in a rut about.  $ wise,  emotionally, spiritually etc.

I am a really loyal person and if I EVER needed DR. Phil to come and scoop me up boy is it now!

I wish he would really come here and get me like a big brother, a hero because I HAVE done ALOT I MEAN alot of hard ass work sorry if my curse word offended anyone!

Come and get me...like you promised and help me...get a plan down..because I cant take this BS just about no more!

August 1, 2005, 1:26 am CDT

fear has two consequences

It either makes us run or fight. Natural instincts. If it's a choice of moving forward and facing the problem head-on or continuing to be stuck in a rut, which would you choose? What is it that is stopping you from doing what you have to do to get out of the rut? If you can figure that out, you're halfway there. Unfortunately nobody can fix these problems for us, we have to do it for ourselves. I'm sure we would all like to have a white knight to ride in and fix our problems, but how would we ever cope with the little problems if we never had the courage to sort them out for ourselves? You will find your courage and make your decision. After all, that is what we do everyday in one way or another. Best of luck.

August 1, 2005, 2:39 pm CDT

I have faced SO MANY already...

Quote From: freebird

It either makes us run or fight. Natural instincts. If it's a choice of moving forward and facing the problem head-on or continuing to be stuck in a rut, which would you choose? What is it that is stopping you from doing what you have to do to get out of the rut? If you can figure that out, you're halfway there. Unfortunately nobody can fix these problems for us, we have to do it for ourselves. I'm sure we would all like to have a white knight to ride in and fix our problems, but how would we ever cope with the little problems if we never had the courage to sort them out for ourselves? You will find your courage and make your decision. After all, that is what we do everyday in one way or another. Best of luck.

without the aid of a white knight...Is that just total fantasy?  What is stopping me is money...and internal loyalty and some days its good and some days its not and dealing with someone else's mess when I have worked so very hard cleaning up my own.

I am sure you will not understand this next part but on a daily basis I have to bring my mentality down to a minimal level to interact.  I stopped reading books 3 years ago..  Once I unlocked this negative habit with Dr. Phil's LIFE STRATEGIES this summer I am now on my 3rd since then..

This is not Little problem either it is quite complex with anger and years towards my oldest daughter whom now does not live with us  she lives with my sister,  my loyalty's are extended to my sweet daughter as well..don't get me wrong...My original dysfunctional family and there "web' of lies and now after seeing Dr. Phil's book I am capable of seeing it into the family I married into...How my husband has fear from his family how he doesn't want to "rock" tthe boat....How he promised to read Dr. Phil's book and shrugged it off..

Thanks for your luck but I NEED THE LORD!

Its very much more complex not that I am special with special problems...Just seems difficult to me...

August 2, 2005, 6:13 pm CDT

Whatever is needed....

My Heavenly Father will provide...I have NO DOUBTS AT ALL.....He is ever giving and when the time is right I will know what to do......Until now I work on myself,my brain, my spirit and breath...

August 18, 2005, 1:25 pm CDT

running out of daylight

1.    this psych i have now says i am in need of a 10K LUX box for this winter. I had been unable to be reach this last winter, for the withdraws and coping skills weren't there for me; frustrated & distraught was all i had to offer. the 2 hours at my brothers house at x-mass i was in complete silence, and other parties i went to, people kept asking me if i were alright. its embarrassing.... granted the sun came out and i find i can actually post a message now for the first time since last year. I haven't been able to read my e-mail for months. work ha ha although i start a new job come sept. and taking care of myself, well it a challenge. I have very little contact with people and my counselor, well i fake it most the time. i think if I'm going to keep this job i will get the 10K LUX box, or I'll have a repeat of last year. any thoughts of how 10K LUX boxes work for others?/???? 

September 4, 2005, 6:17 pm CDT

i can't leave

This is the most stupid phobia, and i can't believe i have it. Ever since i can remember i've been scared to leave home for the night. I have never been to a sleepover because everytime i've been invited to a sleepover i would get panic attacks and get so sick that i would throw up. I'm 15 years old now and still haven't left home for the night, i can't stop think about what i'm going to do when it is time for me to leave for college and i have to move out of the house ? i'm so confussed and scared that i'll never be able to leave the house. I've gotten so worried about it that i've become depressed and have trouble sleeping and haven't been properly (lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks and haven't lifted a weight) i don't know what to do ??? 

September 8, 2005, 8:15 am CDT

OVERCOMING ANXIETY

Here a condensed hand out from Dr. Richards 20 tape series for people suffer from social anxiety.  I purchased the tape series and my son who had suffered from generalized anxiety disorder overcame his GAD after 40 years of terror and fear. This tape series has literally saved his life. Before using the tapes his greatest wish was to go to sleep and never wake up. He thought about suicide every day for many years as this illness had totally devastated his life.  He now looks forward to each day and the future.  

Worry  

Worry is never positive. It never does any good.  

Worry always exaggerates  

It always blows things out of proportion and Cosme's my life.  

It leaves a trail of anxiety and depression behind it.  

Worrying only leads to more worry.   

Worrying never solves a thing.  There is no solution in worry.  

I must catch myself when I start to worry and throw off these thoughts because they are poison.  

Say to myself: "Worry never does me any good.  It is only going to hurt me  

Then, go and do something to distract myself.   

The key to success using this is to read it OUT LOUD every day.  In the beginning your brain will not accept this information, but over time your brain will be reprogrammed to accept these new true beliefs instead of the old false beliefs of the past.    

NOTE:  If you wish more info. on how to get these tapes E-mail me  at:       rowdens@shaw.ca   

I will post another condensed hand out for you to work with.  Good luck.    

September 8, 2005, 3:55 pm CDT

Panic Attacks and Agoraphbia

Quote From: ilovetheoc

This is the most stupid phobia, and i can't believe i have it. Ever since i can remember i've been scared to leave home for the night. I have never been to a sleepover because everytime i've been invited to a sleepover i would get panic attacks and get so sick that i would throw up. I'm 15 years old now and still haven't left home for the night, i can't stop think about what i'm going to do when it is time for me to leave for college and i have to move out of the house ? i'm so confussed and scared that i'll never be able to leave the house. I've gotten so worried about it that i've become depressed and have trouble sleeping and haven't been properly (lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks and haven't lifted a weight) i don't know what to do ??? 

Hi,   

I just noticed your posting and it would appear that you have all the symptoms of Panic disorder and are starting to develop Agoraphobia (a fear of leaving the safety of the home). These disorders are anxiety disorders.  My son suffered from generalized anxiety disorder for over 40 years. It is an overwhelming fear of everything.  He also suffered from agoraphobia as well.  The good news is that he has overcome his anxiety and has moved on with his life.  Anxiety disorders are learned behaviors, and anything learned can be unlearned. For more info. look at the postings I have under my user name: pinetree.  I am setting up a on-line support group for people suffering from anxiety and mental illness. I presently have three in the group and am limiting it to ten.  There is no cost.   

If interested e-mail me at: rowdens@shaw.ca .  You can cure yourself with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). It will teach you how to replace your negative false perceptions with true rational perception.  My son says that if he could beat this illness, anyone can if they are will to put in the effort required.  Sorry, there is no magic pill or quick fix, but this illness can  be beaten.  

Pat  User name: pinetree  

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last