Message Boards

Topic : Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Number of Replies: 228
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:00:55 am
Author : dataimport
Patients suffering from OCD have a challenge in overcoming their illness. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 3, 2005, 5:09 am CDT

We need a little more info

Quote From: serene

Hello, please someone give me some advice. I am not doing real well. My head won't stop and I need a drink. I am a mess. My husband is at work and I need to know something 

Dearest Lost,  It sounds like maybe you could start by calling AA; they're in your local phone book.  If you really want help, the drink will just make things worse.  What's in your head?  What makes you think you have OCD, and what do you do or have you done to say you're a mess?  It's not that I question your statements, but you haven't given enough information to be able to really help you.  Till we hear more from you,  Take care, Patti

October 3, 2005, 5:18 am CDT

Hope this helps a little

Quote From: serene

I am 24 years old, and I don't know what is wrong with me. I have seen therapists, psychologists, psychiatrist, and medical doctors. I have been diagnosed with BiPolar, Manic depression, and depression. My husband seems to think that I am OCD. I am not real sure. I don't have a problem with touching things, but I am weird about cleaning. I also take things to extreme. Like If I like something I do it to the extreme. I have done this with Alcohol, cleaning, knitting, reading, you name I take it too far. Is this a sign of OCD? I don't know, but I know that on the inside I feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster. Does anyone have anything they can share. Thanks 

Have you been able to see a licensed professional psychotherapist who SPECIALIZES in OCD or BiPolar.  That's the person who could best define your diagnose, because someone who is manic DOES take things to extremes. How long have you stayed in regular therapy with one practicioner? Has any of them put you on meds? It's possible that some meds would help Bipolar, but not OCD, and vice versa (this is an educated guess, but your psychiatrist or psychologist could confirm or deny).  Hope I've  been some help, Patti

October 5, 2005, 8:34 pm CDT

I am an OCD self mutilator

For a year now, I have been dealing with the sudden onset of two or three mental illnesses at once.  I became severely depressed, started to cut myself with razors, and thought that a demon was telling me to do it.  I realized later that I had made up the demon because it is easier for other people to believe that a voice is telling you to hurt yourself that for them to believe that I actually do it because I "want" to.  But I don't want to necessarily, it's more like a thought to hurt myself gets stuck in my head and I just have to do it even if I know it is bad.  I have been diagnosed with OCD finally, but it has been tough.  Ever since October 2004 I have overdosed majorly on my meds or Tylenol PM or cut myself badly every month or two.  It just keeps happening, and I'm scared it won't ever stop.  Just recently I got so fed up with dealing with all this that I tried to kill myself.  Now I have horrid stitched scars on my wrists that I know people see and just don't say anything.  It's horrible, even more so because I did it to myself.  I just got a great job and am surrounded by very supportive people, but I'm terrified that that won't be enough to keep me from hurting myself again.  I have been in five mental hospitals in one year, and I'm so tired of doing this to myself.  Right now my spirits are good because everything is going well, but I'm scared that as soon as something stresses me out I'll go right back to popping pills or something.  I don't want to die early or have to live with anymore hideous scars than I have.  Please give me some advice.

October 19, 2005, 12:22 pm CDT

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

people seem to give me a hard time sometimes about being ocd......... sometimes even more they give me a hard time about being hard on myself...... well i like the way i do things so why does it matter i think but then sometimes i think wow this controls me...... hmmmmmmmmm think think think....... i just don't know

October 25, 2005, 2:24 pm CDT

OCD

I suffer from OCD and really need to talk to someone who is experiencing the same things as me...just to know that I am not alone. This really started back in 1996 after a horrific car accident but in the last few years has been progressing to the point where I don't know what to do. After the accident i went through 6 years of pyschotherapy ..... more for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder not really being diagnosed with OCD. But now my life is a mess with this ...... I do things over and over and check things over and over. I cannot write a card or letter without checking it for mistakes or for things I may have said wrong...then when I do get it down I put it in the envelope....take it out... put it in.... take it out...til sometimes I don't mail it at all. Then I also have this little brown wallet and when I set it down somewhere..... I have continuous panic attacks wondering where I put it.....I go absolutely crazy with this. Now besides all of this.... I have a problem being with people....and when I am it is not too bad but feel they are just being polite and don't want me around them anyway..... so then I think it is best if I just stay away. Please someone.... if you have the same feelings... please write me.

October 27, 2005, 2:18 pm CDT

You're Not Alone

I have been diagnosed with Post Tramatic Stress Disorder and also have OCD.  OCD can and sometimes stimulates from haveing PTSD. Sometimes it's caused from being a vitctim of rape, a victim of domestic abuse....... Any number of things.  And OCD is somewhat a way of trying to stimulate yourself and reassure yourself that you are okay.  Having these problems myself it's hard to manage on a daily basis, but you can only take it one step at a time. 

November 7, 2005, 7:40 pm CST

How do you help someone...

Who refuses to help them self? 

I am living with a family member that has been diagnosed with major depression and OCD, this person refuses to accept help or even seek help, but then expects everyone to literally walk on egg shells, accept their verbal attacks on us since they refuse to be medicated  and we have to be VERY careful of everything we say and do.  It is utterly exhausting.  I am completely, mentally, emotionally and physically tired from how over sensitive this person is and how they are refusing to get the help they so desperately need. 

Is there anything that I can do to assist them in getting the very much needed help they require? 

Thanks. 

November 20, 2005, 9:10 pm CST

hi i think i may have ocd

i have a problem with washing my hands every hour it isn't as bad as some people but i just want someone to talk to about my problem. I also suffer from anxity and depression and PTSD

November 24, 2005, 8:05 am CST

OCD recovery

My daughter was diagnosed withh ocd last year and after being treated with medication is now free of her obsessive thoughts. Problem is she says  after 16  years of living with ocd she now no longer knows how to  "function".  She doesn't care about getting her school work done, has difficulty with motivation and most importantly doesn't feel like herself.  She thinks she would be better off as she used to be because she knew how to "function" better with ocd.  I think  getting lower grades has caused some of this since prior to treatment she was an A+ student and in now getting B's.  She attributes better grades to ocd since her coping mechanism was studying. 

Any thougts? I worry that she will stop meds to return to former patterns. 

November 25, 2005, 11:34 am CST

obsessive thoughts?

Hi, 

I'm just wondering if anyone suffers from obsessive thoughts,if so how do you deal with them.I'm taking mirtazipane for depression and anxiety and im wondering if that can contribute to the problem. 

Deirdre 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last