Message Boards

Topic : Meditation and Yoga

Number of Replies: 140
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:04:02 am
Author : dataimport
For centuries, meditation and yoga have been used to calm the inner soul as well as strengthen the outer body. Share your experiences and advice.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 23, 2005, 10:46 am CDT

Meditation and Yoga

July 23, 2005, 11:00 am CDT

My First book of Yoga

a beginner's guide to feeling cool,cultred,and confident.

By..Miranda Morgan is a freelance writer and a recent convert to yoga and pilates.

Bewildered and not a little scared by most yoga books,  she decided to write a user-friendly guide to the subject.  She has also written my first book of pilates.

BARNES & NOBLE BOOKS New York

Printed in Singapore

I LOVED IT!   You will too...xoxoxoxoxoxo

July 23, 2005, 7:10 pm CDT

Guided Imagery

I don't know if this falls into the category of Meditation and Yoga but ...

I have Fibromyalgia.  The doctor wanted me to take anti-inflammatory medication, anti-depressants, sleeping pills and muscle relaxers.  I'm not a pill person so I refused and went about searching for an alternative method to deal with this condition.

I often listen to my body as it usually lets me know what I need to do to help it.  The message my body was giving me was to try guided imagery as a means to eliminate the pain.  So I went searching online and found a CD for Fibromyalgia that was made by a Psychotherapist by the name of Belleruth Naparstek.  She has worked with trauma victims of 9/11 and the Gulf War, etc. 

I am of the beief that Fibromyalgia is trauma (either physical or emotional or both) that has lodged in our cellular structure.  I purchased the CD online and from the first day of listening to it I have not had a flare up of the Fibromyalgia.  Sounds like a winner to me.

Just thought I'd post this in the chance that someone will read it and perhaps find this will help them.

July 23, 2005, 7:33 pm CDT

Wow!!!

I don't know if this falls into the category of Meditation andYoga but ...

I have Fibromyalgia. The doctor wanted me to take anti-inflammatory medication, anti-depressants, sleeping pills and muscle relaxers. I'm not a pill person so I refused and went about searching for an alternative method to deal with this condition.

I often listen to my body as it usually lets me know what I need to do to help it. The message my body was giving me was to try guided imagery as a means to eliminate the pain. So I went searching online and found a CD for Fibromyalgia that was made by a Psychotherapist by the name of Belleruth Naparstek. She has worked with trauma victims of 9/11 and the Gulf War, etc.

I am of the beief that Fibromyalgia is trauma (either physical or emotional or both) that has lodged in our cellular structure. I purchased the CD online and from the first day of listening to it I have not had a flare up of the Fibromyalgia. Sounds like a winner to me.

Just thought I'd post this in the chance that someone will read it and perhaps find this will help them.

That is Great!  I was in this Hospital once time and This Fab Music Therapist named "Chuck" true story was there and he also did guided imagery quite frankly just after 9-11 actually and it really did HELP!

IT is really nice to meet you..

For me wee I am certainly no where near a pro at all but anything to improve my life is a step.  This book helped me tone up.  It explains in very simple detail the origins of Yoga body parts and the breath.  Gave me very simple instructions.  Gave me much needed confidence!  Taught me how to "strike a pose!"  Ah  the best part...Spinal twist/Half Lord of the Fishes (Ardha Matsyendrasana)

The benefits opens,lengthens,nourishes,and realingns the spine.  Improves the neverous system.  Aids digestion!

July 24, 2005, 6:33 am CDT

Can I Please ask You a question?

Does That disorder cause constant pain all the time?  This book costs less than 6 bucks and it covers toned body,flexibility,strenth,pain relief,anti ageing,rejuvenation,goodposture,relaxtion,improved concentration,contron over emotion and over evey thing else WELL BEING!

P.S.  Nice Picture Cutie  xoxoxo

July 24, 2005, 2:44 pm CDT

Please.....

I just started this so if there is anyone who is more experienced out there please help me help others....I appreciate your help...

I know a few things..

You shouldn't eat before hand..

You should wear comfortable clothes

Find a very quite place..

FIND A GOOD teacher

Please be realistic about what you can and cannot do...

Take care of yourself...Mind Body and spirit

Be practical..

Listen to your body

Be patient..

July 24, 2005, 5:48 pm CDT

Meditation and Yoga

That is Great! I was in this Hospital once time and This Fab Music Therapist named "Chuck" true story was there and he also did guided imagery quite frankly just after 9-11 actually and it really did HELP!

IT is really nice to meet you..

For me wee I am certainly no where near a pro at all but anything to improve my life is a step. This book helped me tone up. It explains in very simple detail the origins of Yoga body parts and the breath. Gave me very simple instructions. Gave me much needed confidence! Taught me how to "strike a pose!" Ah the best part...Spinal twist/Half Lord of the Fishes (Ardha Matsyendrasana)

The benefits opens,lengthens,nourishes,and realingns the spine. Improves the neverous system. Aids digestion!

Hi labelfree, nice to meet you.

One thing I find that helps (with many things) is doing Tai Chi.  Oh how wonderful I feel after doing my morning Tai Chi.  I bought a VCR of Morning Tai Chi and it's so easy to do, very gentle.  It brings  fresh new energy into the body and expels the old energy.  I feel revitalized after doing Tai Chi.

When I'm in pain I sit and visualize my special place.  This is a lovely lagoon.  In my lagoon there is a waterfall of violet water that gently cascades down into a pool.  I sit in the pool and allow the violet water to pour over my body.  This releases the pain and comforts me.

When one is in pain they might want to try visualizing something that is woderful to them, a special place.  They should visualize violet water or light or fluffy violet clouds enveloping them. 

July 24, 2005, 7:50 pm CDT

May I ask Please...

Which Country do you reside in?

I find the exercise you described Fascinating  I visualized you doing it as I was reading it and then I had to stop because I was reading then my eyes closed and then I couldn't read anymore!  hahahah..That was cool!  Tell me more weemousie  xoxox

July 25, 2005, 9:14 am CDT

Impermanence

I love seeing this category put out for discussion! I've been using meditation and self-hypnosis as tools to getting in touch with my authentic self for about 3 years now. I recently have been looking into Buddhism, as insight is the cornerstone of their practice and they are much more knowledgeable in this area than we westerners. I recently woke up with a keen connection to the concept of "impermanence" and how it contributes to alot of our unhappiness. As with all great truths, it's very simple, but when accepted at a fundamental core level, it can be upsetting. I can see how my whole life, until about 2 years ago, was a constant struggle to get things exactly the way I wanted them, and not have it change. Any disruptions, or sidetracks would send me in a tailspin. Does anybody out there have any input as to how to progress from here? I've gotten fairly skilled at stress reduction and keeping a level of peace within myself, but I still fall into old habits occassionally.

July 25, 2005, 3:00 pm CDT

Fibromyalgia CD

Quote From: weemousie

I don't know if this falls into the category of Meditation andYoga but ...

I have Fibromyalgia. The doctor wanted me to take anti-inflammatory medication, anti-depressants, sleeping pills and muscle relaxers. I'm not a pill person so I refused and went about searching for an alternative method to deal with this condition.

I often listen to my body as it usually lets me know what I need to do to help it. The message my body was giving me was to try guided imagery as a means to eliminate the pain. So I went searching online and found a CD for Fibromyalgia that was made by a Psychotherapist by the name of Belleruth Naparstek. She has worked with trauma victims of 9/11 and the Gulf War, etc.

I am of the beief that Fibromyalgia is trauma (either physical or emotional or both) that has lodged in our cellular structure. I purchased the CD online and from the first day of listening to it I have not had a flare up of the Fibromyalgia. Sounds like a winner to me.

I need some information on where to get that meditation CD for pain.  I have RSD and i am in constant pain in my left leg.  I want to learn to meditate, I seen to be tense from the pain I am in and the horrible pain meds I am on.  Thanks!!!!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last