Message Boards

Topic : 07/13 Prison Moms

Number of Replies: 111
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 05, 2007, 02:42:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine if the woman who was supposed to love and protect you wasn’t there to tuck you in at night, put a bandage on your knee, or help you with your homework. Imagine if instead she were living a life behind bars. Dr. Phil introduces six beautiful children whose lives were torn apart when their mom, Angela, was sent to prison not once, but twice. Three of the six children have not seen their mother since she went to prison, and the youngest was born while Angela was behind bars. Now, Dr. Phil sits down with 15-year-old Brianna, 8-year-old Arianna and 6-year-old Makayla who live with their aunt. Learn what their lives are like with a mom serving time. Then, Dr. Phil talks face to face with Angela, who began serving an eight-year sentence over two years ago – her second time in jail. Dr. Phil has some tough questions for her you won't want to miss. Plus, the siblings were split apart two years ago when their mom went back to prison. Share in the tears and laughter as Dr. Phil reunites them with their incarcerated mother, and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 13, 2007, 1:59 pm CDT

I am a child of prison parents

Quote From: flthomcat

Sounds like a great show.

Hopefully what will not be lost is the fact that we individuals make CHOICES and need to be responsible for those choices. Women often choose MEN (and crime) over their children. And WHY would a mature, responsible "mother" continue to bring children into the world when she's not in a happy, healthy, committed relationship???

It's time we stop being VICTIMS and take control of our own lives, putting our children's NEEDS first and foremost. We owe it to ourselves and to them (and to GOD) to right ourselves and lead good, decent lives.

God bless the women on the show; may they change their bad behaviors for good and may their children learn from their many mistakes.

The choices that both of my parents have chose with there lives is sad.  I haven't seen my mom in 9 years and my dad in 11.  From that I am saying, I am a mother of 2 children and my job is in home childcare.  The only thing I can say is just like women that get abused, we all have choices that you talk about.  We are all human, we all make mistakes.  This is my parents third time in prison in the past 28 years.  I am 23 years old.  My brother took what his life was before when my dad was a drug dealer and he consumed them, and became a ragging alcoholic.  I have made choices that I don't want to live with also, but I put all of that into Gods hands everyday of my life.  Most women don't choose their children over the men and bad choices but most of the women have no education and no job.  The man puts the food on the table and clothes on their babies.  I understand why my mother stayed with my father for all 29 years of their marriage, in which are still married.  Put yourself in that position with an 8th grade education, 2 small children, no money, and a man to support all of that.  I'm not saying it's right but today I would not be the person I am without a lot of bad happening in my life.  I am a lovning mother and love all of the children in my care everyday.  I made a promise to my children, and until the mothers that are in prison find that they did do something wrong and take the hardest path in their lives they will keep going back to that.  Both of my parents have never met all 4 of their grandchildren.  2 of mine and 2 of my brothers.  Someday hopefully they will be able to get out and see us and them.

July 13, 2007, 2:03 pm CDT

CHoices and breaking patterns

WOW I cant believe I hadnt seen this show. 

For the mother...............Yes she made some really bad choices obviously but at least one of the fathers is taking care of two of the kids.  She said she didnt learn the first time because the sentence was too short............................not too bright.  She does seem to be smart now and building up her work skills ot get back on the right side of the law.  

I think of this and she has 8 years...............I think her choices were so wrong BUT look at the child predators that get probation.......I know of three not in my immediate family that walked with probation.  Others that did 7 years and got out did it again ..........again.........and again...................

Our system has many flaws................

I think Iam more of a Jasmine............"Show me you will do better............" 

Being raised by a sick mother who always shose men and abandoned us so many times when a man came into her life.  They always talk sweet when they are in your face and hugging you.  Then they choose others over their kids. 

They say there was 70 % return rate............................I wonder why. 

One of the inmates said "it was terrible there.  It doesent get worse than that"..............oh my goodness. It can be alot worse. Take away those TV's,  Education, and electricity.

I had sooooooooooo many times when our electricity got turned off when I was growing up. We would go to the gas station and wash up there.  Eat Peanut butter sandwiches. 

When I went to Boot Camp for the Military it was way worse than that.  We didnt get TV.  Sodas, Sweets,  or nothing......................It wasnt bad for me. We got three HOT meals a day and I knew it was temporary.  It was a learning lesson.

Come on ladies step up and make your lives better.  You are better than your past choices.  I can honestly say us three girls all changed our life. None of our children know the way we grew up but they are taught choices and consequenses.........................choose the behavior choose the consequence.  There is also forgiveness......................................

Good luck to all you ladies...........you can make the change and bring yourself higher.

July 13, 2007, 2:03 pm CDT

There is Hope

The attrition rate for convicts returning to prison is sad... the odds really are against her, but taking personal responsibility will go along way. 

There's a documentary called "Troop 1500" about a group of Girl Scouts who visit their moms in prison once a month... check it out for a real powerful show about daughters and their mothers in prison.

One former prisoner my church was/is working with will celebrate her 1 year anniversary of release tomorrow!  She has a job and is taking steps to get life back on track.

July 13, 2007, 2:39 pm CDT

"Prison Moms"

Hi Dr. Phil,

The show that was based on prison moms was very sad and emotional for me today. Myself and my roommate are in the same situation with a sister that continues to commit crimes and now has landed herself  in prison. We have five boys ages running from 13-3. We have had to completely change our lives due to having them either placed with us or fight for them so that they would not be seperated and end up in foster care. We also now have a little girl which is a year old and her mother is in the same situation. These children and of course ourselves have gone into some counseling and therapy to help them become who they are today. We

our in the process of adopting the boys and have adopted our baby girl. There isn't a day in my life that I go back and say I would ever regret taking our children in. The reason I'm expressing myself is because I wake up everyday to see a smile on my kids face and these mothers don't realize what there missing out on. They don't realize what damage they have done to these kids and how it affects there lives. I just thank god everyday for bringing us the biggest blessing in our lives.

July 13, 2007, 2:42 pm CDT

Help me keep these kids together?

Hello!
How can I help to keep those 6 beautiful children together? I saw your show today about mothers in prison, and I would love to take in the 6 sisters and brother who have been separated from each other.  I am a teacher and the mother of a 17 year old son, and have always wanted to adopt or take in foster children.  Maybe I have waited all this time, always wanting more children, so that I can let these 6 children into my life and heart.  Please tell me if you can help me to do this!

July 13, 2007, 2:42 pm CDT

it says a lot

When I started to watch this show, I had mixed emotions..... but when I heard what her crime was, I began to understand.  Was she wrong YES.  Should she have had more sense, YES.  but when you are trying to survive, trying to feed your 6 kids, you judgement can become a little impaired..  I am not excusing her, but I think that this is a sad reality in our world and our justice system.

I think that if she had more options open to her, she might not of made the same mistake.  There are people that sit on there butts and abuse the system, and nothing happens to them.  There are sick animals that molest children and do not do the time that she is doing... What does that say about our justice system?   Instead of judging this woman we should take a long hard look at the flaws in our system. 

I think that her eldest daughter is being too hard on her.  She is still young and has not lived long enough in the world to understand where her mother is coming from.

I think that the 15 year old daughter should be commended for how she is stepping up..She does her very best to keep the siblings close and to care for them and let them know that she is there eventhough their mother is not. The eldest daughter is being selfish and immature.  If she really loved her brothers and sisters, she would do what she could to keep them close.. but she has turned her back on them and finds it really easy to blame her mother. 

I hope that the mother really gets the help that she needs, and that the eldest daughter doesn't waste more time holding resentment towards her mother and makes the most of the time she does have with her mother.  We are only given one mother in this life, they are not perfect..... but they are ours and they are to be cherished.

July 13, 2007, 2:55 pm CDT

07/13 Prison Moms

Quote From: bunchakids

When I started to watch this show, I had mixed emotions..... but when I heard what her crime was, I began to understand.  Was she wrong YES.  Should she have had more sense, YES.  but when you are trying to survive, trying to feed your 6 kids, you judgement can become a little impaired..  I am not excusing her, but I think that this is a sad reality in our world and our justice system.

I think that if she had more options open to her, she might not of made the same mistake.  There are people that sit on there butts and abuse the system, and nothing happens to them.  There are sick animals that molest children and do not do the time that she is doing... What does that say about our justice system?   Instead of judging this woman we should take a long hard look at the flaws in our system. 

I think that her eldest daughter is being too hard on her.  She is still young and has not lived long enough in the world to understand where her mother is coming from.

I think that the 15 year old daughter should be commended for how she is stepping up..She does her very best to keep the siblings close and to care for them and let them know that she is there eventhough their mother is not. The eldest daughter is being selfish and immature.  If she really loved her brothers and sisters, she would do what she could to keep them close.. but she has turned her back on them and finds it really easy to blame her mother. 

I hope that the mother really gets the help that she needs, and that the eldest daughter doesn't waste more time holding resentment towards her mother and makes the most of the time she does have with her mother.  We are only given one mother in this life, they are not perfect..... but they are ours and they are to be cherished.

No one can judge a child on how they are feeling due to having parents that are never there and continue to make wrong choices. These parents that are moms dont realize the damage they put there children through. This mother obviously didnt make the right ones and like Dr. Phil said why continue to have children if you can't take care of them. Maybe she wouldnt be in the situation she is in now. Overall these kids have not just been seperated from there mom but there siblings. How do you expect them to feel towards her?

July 13, 2007, 3:05 pm CDT

Mothers in Prison

There will be a lot of negative response to this show.  However, since I have been there and done that, I really relate.  I too was a prison mom.  I went to CIW (california institution for women) 13 times.  The cycle did not stop until I got real honest with myself and realized helllloooooo it's my choices.  I can say I have been out of prison over 8 years and can't imagine ever going back.  I have my own business and today I am the best mom and grandmother in the world.  See the one thing that being selfish and self-centered is I did not realize the impact it had on my children.  I have 5.  Thank God they are grown now, I still have a 16 year old at home.  I truly felt the pain of the eldest daughter on the show.  I too had to hear from my children the pain that I created by continuing to blame everyone but the real culprit....me.  I am grateful that I had a 14th chance in life.  I used to envy the women in prison who did not have children.  That was less guilt.  The one thing I realized that in no way could I come back into my children's life and pretend that I deserved the mother of the year award....It took time for them to forgive me.  Thank you for doing the show.  It brought reality back to where I refuse to return to.

July 13, 2007, 3:17 pm CDT

sweet and sad

that family is beautiful, that's for sure. 

It was an interesting show, Mom of 6 STILL hasn't gotten it I'm afraid.  She has that thief mentality going.  Entitlement at any cost.  I wonder about shopping addiction?  It takes a lot of time to spend that much money.  Anyway, what she wanted she took, I bet a $20 bill on a table wasn't safe around her. 

But even a wicked man loves his children.

I kept wondering what does this little girl want to say to her Mother so badly.  It was on the tip of her tongue and she really wanted to spit it.  I've decided that smart little girl has figured out her Mother.  What she knows and maybe accepts is....."My Mom is a thief".  Horrible words to say out loud.   Probably necessary.

Mom needs to join a 12 step thief program, surely there is one out there, surely in the prison system we have that. 

And I do have one Dr. Phil gripe.  I wish he would not ask women why they kept having babies after the babies are here.  He may stop them from having more babies, but which babies would he have these women return?  It's too late for that.  Besides, the kids will see this show someday and it could make them feel unwanted in the world.  Just a little something that bugs me....

Love,

Luanne Taylor

July 13, 2007, 3:22 pm CDT

Angela Vs. Jasmine

I enjoyed the show today and felt that I could relate in some ways to the way Jasmine was feeling about her confined mother and why it came across the way it did to the viewer. My theory, and something Dr. Phil didn't mention, is that Jasmine feels that she had been, in essence,  thrown to the side while the other five children would have the promise of a returning and nurturing mother, while it is too late for Jasmine to have that type of relationship with Angela again. It has now turned into a different relationship elevated to the next step by the natural progression of all our lives. She feels thwarted in a way, while at the same time feeling angry about, not only those feelings, but the act that landed her behind bars as well. Seventeen is such a hard age. I feel that the reason the 15 year old appeared more settled in the way things are,  is because of the time frame of her life that her mother was absent from her life. But by no means wish to downplay her amazing spirit of forgiveness and love. Jasmine has so many complicated feelings but that pungent anger will just cause self destructive behavior, and as she ventures out onto her own life path, my hope is that she can use this experience as a catalyst for a beautiful life and not let it define who she has become.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last