Message Boards

Topic : 07/13 Prison Moms

Number of Replies: 111
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 05, 2007, 02:42:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine if the woman who was supposed to love and protect you wasn’t there to tuck you in at night, put a bandage on your knee, or help you with your homework. Imagine if instead she were living a life behind bars. Dr. Phil introduces six beautiful children whose lives were torn apart when their mom, Angela, was sent to prison not once, but twice. Three of the six children have not seen their mother since she went to prison, and the youngest was born while Angela was behind bars. Now, Dr. Phil sits down with 15-year-old Brianna, 8-year-old Arianna and 6-year-old Makayla who live with their aunt. Learn what their lives are like with a mom serving time. Then, Dr. Phil talks face to face with Angela, who began serving an eight-year sentence over two years ago – her second time in jail. Dr. Phil has some tough questions for her you won't want to miss. Plus, the siblings were split apart two years ago when their mom went back to prison. Share in the tears and laughter as Dr. Phil reunites them with their incarcerated mother, and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 6, 2007, 12:29 pm CDT

All about choice and responsibility

Sounds like a great show.

Hopefully what will not be lost is the fact that we individuals make CHOICES and need to be responsible for those choices. Women often choose MEN (and crime) over their children. And WHY would a mature, responsible "mother" continue to bring children into the world when she's not in a happy, healthy, committed relationship???

It's time we stop being VICTIMS and take control of our own lives, putting our children's NEEDS first and foremost. We owe it to ourselves and to them (and to GOD) to right ourselves and lead good, decent lives.

God bless the women on the show; may they change their bad behaviors for good and may their children learn from their many mistakes.

July 7, 2007, 10:24 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Moms Phil Prison. Well here we go again. Talking about prison in which I  donot want to-

talk about it at all. See you next week. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------------------

July 7, 2007, 12:07 pm CDT

So sad...

I'll probably have to have the Kleenex on stand-by for this show. I know it will be very interesting. I would have hated to have left my children for any reason. And I wouldn't want to go to prison anyway. But I realize stuff happens and women end up on the wrong side of the law. I'm sure that they must be devastated to be separated from thier children. I hope they can get thier lives back together someday.

July 8, 2007, 1:09 am CDT

07/13 Prison Moms

Quote From: flthomcat

Hopefully what will not be lost is the fact that we individuals make CHOICES and need to be responsible for those choices. Women often choose MEN (and crime) over their children. And WHY would a mature, responsible "mother" continue to bring children into the world when she's not in a happy, healthy, committed relationship???

It's time we stop being VICTIMS and take control of our own lives, putting our children's NEEDS first and foremost. We owe it to ourselves and to them (and to GOD) to right ourselves and lead good, decent lives.

God bless the women on the show; may they change their bad behaviors for good and may their children learn from their many mistakes.

Obviously Angela makes one bad decision after another.  Most of the women that go to prison or jail more than once are in similar situations..uneducated, have multiple children, unemployed and so on.  I am curious to find out what crime she committed to get an eight year sentence.

July 8, 2007, 7:04 am CDT

Hey Russell!

Quote From: hpmx590

Doctor Moms Phil Prison. Well here we go again. Talking about prison in which I  donot want to-

talk about it at all. See you next week. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------------------

What's happenin' Russell?

July 8, 2007, 7:14 am CDT

RECOGNIZING THE REMORSELESS - WITHOUT CONSCIENCE

How do we recognize the remorseless? One of their chief characteristics is a kind of glow or charisma that makes sociopaths more charming or interesting than the other people around them.  They’re more spontaneous, more intense, more complex or even sexier than everyone else, making them tricky to identify and leaving us easily seduced.  Some of my favorite books that provide a great introduction and insight are: 

Why is it Always About You?:  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss AND Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward

Without Conscience:  The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us by Robert Hare OR Treating Personality Disorders in Children and Adolescents:  A Relational Approach by Efrain Bleiberg

The Psychology of Female Violence:  Crimes Against the Body by Anna Motz OR Whatever Mother Says (true story of Theresa Cross Knorr) by Wensley Clarkson OR Understanding the Borderline (Parent) Mother:  Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable and Volatile Relationship by Christine Ann Lawson OR Aggression in Personality Disorders and Perversions by Otto Kernberg

Getting Help:  The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Self-Assessment and Treatment of Mental Health Problems by Jeffrey Wood OR Healing Anxiety and Depression (7 types of anxiety and depression) by Daniel Amen and Lisa Routh

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm 

Fundamentally, sociopaths are different because they cannot love. Sociopaths learn early on to show fake emotion, but underneath they are indifferent to others’ suffering.  They live to dominate and thrive for the thrill to win.  We all almost certainly know at least one or more sociopaths already.

Hope it helps! 

July 8, 2007, 8:20 am CDT

It will be interesting to see this show.

I know that we all make bad choices in life that can lead to outcomes we could never imagine, but this is her second time in prison. Why??

There's the United Way and other non-government organizations that are working to turn people's lives around. Especially the lives of single moms and their kids. You just gotta start asking and keep asking until you find them. There are shelters, there are community centers for struggling people, counselors and others who offer sliding scale fees.

But, first, don't let yourself get into this position! Don't get into relationships with abusers! Don't have their children!

Don't have ANY children until YOU can support them, alone if necessary!!!

Many girls get pregnant too early hoping they'll get rescued, usually looking to get rescued by their parents. It doesn't happen, they won't rescue you. Instead of looking for love in all the wrong places, get yourself into counseling. Start in high school when your problems will be SO much easier to work through! Find those sliding-scale counelors after high school and keep working and keep healing!!

If you do get pregnant, seriously consider asking relatives to help you out SHORT TERM. If that's not an option, DO consider putting your babies up for adoption to families that can provide for them phycially, monetarily, emotionally.

If you can't take care of your babies, love them enough to let others help you raise them, temporarily or permanently. That's what real love would do.

July 8, 2007, 12:45 pm CDT

HOW TO TREAT OTHERS - INCLUDING PRISON MATES

In general, we don't learn much about healthy communication skills and interaction techniques in school or in our culture.  The only way we learn how to communicate and interact in relationships as adults is by what we see in our homes as we are growing up. 

HOW TO TREAT OTHERS (including family members): 

1.  Be kind, think kind thoughts, and use kind words

2.  Be gentle

3.  Take turns, be fair and share

4.  Be polite

5.  Care about others

6.  Be helpful

7.  Listen attentively  

8.  Respect the thoughts and feelings of others

9.  Give encouragement 

10. Cooperate with others

10a. Set healthy boundaries and be a worthy confidant

How to get posters for your family:

www.teachchildren.com/0768213932.html  

If you grew up in a family where you had to yell to be heard or acknowledged, while your partner grew up in a family where emotional outbursts were ignored or not tolerated, your divergent communication and interaction styles are going to get in the way of your long-term healthy bonding (with your partner and others). 

Hope it helps!

July 9, 2007, 7:07 pm CDT

All Women

Society is slow to promote individual independence for a woman unless she is married.  I think that one reason women are such enablers and risk prison is that they beleive they should have a husband first. I am single, live alone (Not Gay) and many aspects of society are unaccepting and while not being cruel are not welcoming...It just a thought.

July 10, 2007, 2:45 pm CDT

07/13 Prison Moms

You say women often choose men and crime over thier children , I am a mother of 2 kids  and I dont agree with what u are saying. The only reason why you can say this is because all we hear in the media is the bad , you don't here about us great moms (who are the majority) and what we do right. Also you don't have to be in a relationship to have a child.There are millions of single moms out there and alot of them will say they prefer to be a single parent.As for the comment" It's time we stop being victims..." You write this as though all women are victims and that is so far from the truth but there aren't just women who are victims men are aswell.Through all this though people allow themselves to be victims and yes it does effect their children but as long as the children are in a stable home they will be okay.Some people men and women are in the  " right situation " to have kids at that time of conception but life can change within seconds to make  the circumstances different. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last