Message Boards

Topic : How I Fought My Illness

Number of Replies: 301
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:05:51 am
Author : dataimport
If you've suffered from a debilitating illness and lived to tell your story, please tell it to us. Share your most uplifting and practical ways to fight off illness.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 29, 2005, 12:21 pm CDT

MS and more

For many years I have had daily headaches and problems with balance, strength and double vision. In early 2003 I was finally diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis which finally put a name on what was going on.

Later that year after a MRI on my neck and spine I found out I also had Thyroid Cancer. I had a total thyroidectomy in Oct. of 2003 and it has been a long road.

The surgery has caused me to be hypocalcemic because my remaining parathyroids will no longer regulate my calicum levels. So in addition to all my MS meds I have to take mega doses of Calcium daily in order to keep my levels decent.

I have had 2 rounds or RAI and just recently finished 8 weeks off my thyroid  meds prepping for a scan to see if I would have  to have more radiation. Luckily this time around I can out clean, so now it's wait until next year.

Along with all my health issues I became a grandma twice in the past 2 years, first in Sept. 2003 and again in September 2004. I was also forced to take a medical retirement from work and am now on disability. Did I mention I am only 38?

Every part of my life is stressful, because of all my running back and forth to the doctors and my problems caused by the health issues it's almost impossible for me to even take care of my grandkids.

I do try to keep an upbeat outlook on everything, after all things could be a lot worse.

August 2, 2005, 6:17 pm CDT

Hey Grandma!

Quote From: voodidit

For many years I have had daily headaches and problems with balance, strength and double vision. In early 2003 I was finally diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis which finally put a name on what was going on.

Later that year after a MRI on my neck and spine I found out I also had Thyroid Cancer. I had a total thyroidectomy in Oct. of 2003 and it has been a long road.

The surgery has caused me to be hypocalcemic because my remaining parathyroids will no longer regulate my calicum levels. So in addition to all my MS meds I have to take mega doses of Calcium daily in order to keep my levels decent.

I have had 2 rounds or RAI and just recently finished 8 weeks off my thyroid  meds prepping for a scan to see if I would have  to have more radiation. Luckily this time around I can out clean, so now it's wait until next year.

Along with all my health issues I became a grandma twice in the past 2 years, first in Sept. 2003 and again in September 2004. I was also forced to take a medical retirement from work and am now on disability. Did I mention I am only 38?

Every part of my life is stressful, because of all my running back and forth to the doctors and my problems caused by the health issues it's almost impossible for me to even take care of my grandkids.

I do try to keep an upbeat outlook on everything, after all things could be a lot worse.

I have something for you to hold on to that will make you so happy!

40's are the new 20's!  So you have to wait two more years before you become YOUNG again!!!!!

In my 20's I was OLD FAT and had old lady hair...

Now I am 41 sexy and pretty pretty hair.....Oh my gosh what does it feel like to be a GRANDMA...is it like a MOM but better or is it AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Write back...Your a winner.....I can tell....I know these things!

August 3, 2005, 1:16 am CDT

P.s.....

Please dont be stressed!

August 26, 2005, 7:52 pm CDT

Scarcoidosis

I have scarcoidosis and it is destroying me and has destoryed my family.  

My wife wants a divorce, & at the time I need her the most with all the medcial tests I have been going through lately she just plain hates me.  

It is not my fault that I have this disease.  

It has affected my lungs and now possibly my heart.  

The medicine I am on makes me feel sick most of the time.  

God is my only support and hopefully someone out there does care.  

Because I can certainly use a friend in this adventure.  

September 3, 2005, 6:27 am CDT

fibromialgia

For 14 years it began with pain in my arms, legs etc.  

My youngest daughter was 1 year old, I tought it had everything to do with the pregnancy, but a year later the pain was still there.......the doctor told me it was FM.  

3 years ago they gave me a wheelchair, my world was falling apart, I cryed  for days, my doctor send me into a rehacentre, and there I learned to handle the pain and saw the nice things in life again, made sports togehter, and now after these 2 years I dont use the wheelchair anymore....I learned to fight back...I work again, running everyday with my husband he has always support me in these difficult years,  I feel so good and I'am a happy woman again.  

September 6, 2005, 12:15 am CDT

FM

Quote From: profderien

it's wonderful how you fought the fibromyalgia, and won! 

how long did you stay in rehab and what sort of things did you do while there? 

take care! -- profderien 

Dear profderien,  

I was in rehab for 2 months, we worked in a group from 5 woman with fm.  

We learned to sport again,everyday again and differents sports untill we found something we liked and could do without pain, we talked about our problems and the pain but important we learned to say NO when we are in pain.  

important for our group was to accept the FM, we all said that we accepted it but when you are talking with others you see that accept an illness is very difficult.  

Take a  moment for yourself, everyday again, lay down on a bed and rest  with some nice musik...it works.  

We worked and learned from a book, after these 2 months I was an other person, I could laugh again, I wasn't afraid to sport again....I felt great.  

and still I feel good, must say I use some supplements and take a "diet" and it works.  

greetings from Holland,  

Karin  

September 6, 2005, 8:05 pm CDT

rare disease-idiopathic syringomyelia

Hope im in the right place, my nephew has recently been diagnosed with a very rare spinal disease, called idiopathic syringomyelia.  We live in Alberta Canada, this condition is very rare and confussing.  Im writting to Dr.Phil because i believe he has the answers and connections to so many things.  This is tearing our family apart.  We have faced many downfalls but never anything this unkown.  I am writting in desperation , any help, facts, please help. 

September 19, 2005, 4:41 pm CDT

Hello Voodidit

Hi there, 

I read your post.  Wow, girlfriend you have a full plate!!!!   I recently had my thyroid out and noticed you mentioned being hypocalcemic.  I am having calcium problems right after also.  Can you give me any info, tips or pointers on things you've learned since having the thyroid out???  I would really appreciate anything you can tell me!!!   

Thanks 

Karen 

September 24, 2005, 10:10 pm CDT

How I Fought My Illness

Quote From: dutchkarin

For 14 years it began with pain in my arms, legs etc.  

My youngest daughter was 1 year old, I tought it had everything to do with the pregnancy, but a year later the pain was still there.......the doctor told me it was FM.  

3 years ago they gave me a wheelchair, my world was falling apart, I cryed  for days, my doctor send me into a rehacentre, and there I learned to handle the pain and saw the nice things in life again, made sports togehter, and now after these 2 years I dont use the wheelchair anymore....I learned to fight back...I work again, running everyday with my husband he has always support me in these difficult years,  I feel so good and I'am a happy woman again.  

I'm glad you fought back!  Keep strong!  I wish I could run, but I'm glad to hear others with fibromyalgia can run!  I'm so proud of you for being able to get out of the wheel chair.  Maybe your body fought back.  Fibromyalgia is strange in that some times people can get better for a while and then get bad again, vice versa.  Few have improved as well as you have, and that's something to be proud of and rejoice in!  I hope you stay in good health! 

Yours truly, 

Kristie 

fyte4acure 

September 24, 2005, 10:28 pm CDT

How I Fought My Illness

Quote From: faith1106

Hope im in the right place, my nephew has recently been diagnosed with a very rare spinal disease, called idiopathic syringomyelia.  We live in Alberta Canada, this condition is very rare and confussing.  Im writting to Dr.Phil because i believe he has the answers and connections to so many things.  This is tearing our family apart.  We have faced many downfalls but never anything this unkown.  I am writting in desperation , any help, facts, please help. 

Faith, 

I am sorry to hear about your nefew.  I do not know a whole lot about this illness.  I can say that fibromyalgia and any other illness with unknown causes can be extremely stressful.  The unknown can create a lot of confusion, frustration, and helplessness.  Symptoms of what he has is very similar to symptoms of MS and fibromyalgia.  Maybe you can join a chat group regarding one of these and share your story.  I'm sure they would listen.  I chat on Immune Support.com   They have moderators who know a lot about fibromyalgia and other diseases.  There is also a message board in this site.  I hope you get the answers you need and he needs.  How old is your nefew?  How is he coping?  How are his parents coping? 

Yours truly, 

Kristie  

fyte4acure : ) 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last