Message Boards

Topic : 09/04 Violent Kids

Number of Replies: 265
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 31, 2007, 10:16:52 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Exploding anger, brutal attacks, death threats. Perhaps this sounds like the behavior of a hardened criminal. But what happens when such violent rages come from your own child? Kevin and Jean say their 10-year-old son, Cole, is a ticking time bomb. He yells, hits, screams and turns destructive when he's in a rage, and his out-of-control meltdowns are taking over the household. Jean even fears Cole may kill her in her sleep. What is behind his rages, and how can his parents help him and bring peace to their family? Then, Ryan and Rebecca's 6-year-old son, Sam, has violent temper tantrums that include kicking, hitting and biting his siblings and teachers. He has even threatened to kill his twin brother and burn the house down. Is Sam really dangerous, or just a master manipulator? What does Dr. Phil tell these parents they must do to change Sam's behavior? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 3, 2007, 4:40 pm CDT

09/04 Violent Kids

Quote From: blondie_46

Of course here we go again, blaming the parents for what is wrong with their children.  I hope when you watch the show you learn something about these children.  This response shows that the stigma and blame for children with mental health issues is alive and well!!  What a shame, when is this going to change.

Unfortunatly, its painfully obvious this won't change anytime soon.

Funny thing is, we are so sympathetic to adults who suffer from bi-polar disorder, depression, or Schizophrenia etc. but all a kid needs is a spanking or privillages taken away from them, its the fault of the parents etc.  Kids today are spoiled, blah, there are as many opinions as there are people.

Until people are willing to acknowledge that children can and DO suffer from Mental illnesses, and until our governments are willing to fund more programs to help both children and families in crisis, and UNTIL we train teachers and caregivers to recognize symptoms of different disorders that affect children and effective ways to deal with it (many children have benifitted from early interventions), then we will still be blaming the parents.

There is NO ONE simple solution to these problems, some older people may forget that there were violent kids they grew up with, I knew there were a few in my High School, a good whipping, I had a couple growing up, only fuels anger and violent tendencies, you CANNOT BEAT IT OUT OF THEM.

To the poster who said Abortion was the answer for disabled children being a burden on their parents and society, how do you predict a Mental illness or something like Autism, they don't show up on a sonogram, so what does a parent do then ?

And the same people that scream about women being outside the home, well does a widow with young children go on Welfare or a woman who has had to fight to get out of an abusive relationship ?  Aren't these the same people who SCREAM for women to escape an abuser ? Or SCREAM at the rate of welfare recipients out there ?  Same people who SCREAM about children living in Poverty.

Theories abound, but there are no simple answers in these situations.

September 3, 2007, 5:57 pm CDT

Honestly...

Quote From: ceildh1

Unfortunatly, its painfully obvious this won't change anytime soon.

Funny thing is, we are so sympathetic to adults who suffer from bi-polar disorder, depression, or Schizophrenia etc. but all a kid needs is a spanking or privillages taken away from them, its the fault of the parents etc.  Kids today are spoiled, blah, there are as many opinions as there are people.

Until people are willing to acknowledge that children can and DO suffer from Mental illnesses, and until our governments are willing to fund more programs to help both children and families in crisis, and UNTIL we train teachers and caregivers to recognize symptoms of different disorders that affect children and effective ways to deal with it (many children have benifitted from early interventions), then we will still be blaming the parents.

There is NO ONE simple solution to these problems, some older people may forget that there were violent kids they grew up with, I knew there were a few in my High School, a good whipping, I had a couple growing up, only fuels anger and violent tendencies, you CANNOT BEAT IT OUT OF THEM.

To the poster who said Abortion was the answer for disabled children being a burden on their parents and society, how do you predict a Mental illness or something like Autism, they don't show up on a sonogram, so what does a parent do then ?

And the same people that scream about women being outside the home, well does a widow with young children go on Welfare or a woman who has had to fight to get out of an abusive relationship ?  Aren't these the same people who SCREAM for women to escape an abuser ? Or SCREAM at the rate of welfare recipients out there ?  Same people who SCREAM about children living in Poverty.

Theories abound, but there are no simple answers in these situations.

I am very surprised at the number of people who are blaming the behaviors of the kids who are going to be on the show on the parents and lack of dicipline. 'The descriptions of the behavior that I read sounds way beyond lack of parental guidance and dicipline. I never experienced this type of behavior with either of my children and I feel very fortunate.But for the Grace of God....... I can't take all the credit for my good fortune. I have to believe that these children have more far reaching problems that have not been discovered or diagnosed.

September 3, 2007, 7:15 pm CDT

09/04 Violent Kids

Quote From: housewife52

I am very surprised at the number of people who are blaming the behaviors of the kids who are going to be on the show on the parents and lack of dicipline. 'The descriptions of the behavior that I read sounds way beyond lack of parental guidance and dicipline. I never experienced this type of behavior with either of my children and I feel very fortunate.But for the Grace of God....... I can't take all the credit for my good fortune. I have to believe that these children have more far reaching problems that have not been discovered or diagnosed.

I think all parents have heard our three year old, and sixteen year old say "I hate you, "  "you're Mean", "I'm never talking to you again", "I'm going to run away " whatever, few of us get death threats loged against us by our own children.  The above statements are normal (I swear if I don't hear one of the above once a week, I feel like I'm failing them somehow ).

"I want to die", "I'm going to F****** kill you ", NOT NORMAL, these are not the normal cries of a kid angry with his/her parents, teachers, friends or siblings.

I agree, but for the grace of God (and I'm agnostic, go figure) go I, both of my sons were diagnosed with ADHD and my youngest has it coupled with other learning problems, the boy I work closely with at the school has a whole host of disorders, along with parental rejection and he has threatened to kill his Mother's boyfriend for splitting the family, not to mention the violent outburst that had him almost expelled from school, why ? He almost throttled another child for "Looking at him".

We'll see tommorrow, but I am willing to bet my rent, that these children feel terrible and guilty for these outbursts, could be wrong, but the kids I know (and they are all different, I know ) have the ability to KNOW what they do is upsetting and hurts others, but when it happens, that part of their brain seems to switch off momentarily, this is what makes them a danger to themselves and others, in the heat of the moment they don't seem capable of turning off the rage, and sometimes by the time they do, its too late, someone gets hurt, and then the other centres kick in and so does the guilt.

The Doc will get them the help they need, and I do hope these parents know that they will be getting a gift, their child with intensive treatment will probably be able to have a healthy life, free of the rage that binds him.  See in these cases I am an optimist, I can never see a child as a lost cause.

September 3, 2007, 11:13 pm CDT

hello

Quote From: tiffany_2007

I agree with you, when they are babies they are connected to us emotional, so why should that change just cause they are 3 or 4 or even 10. I think most forget that children have feelings too and get more confussed then us, which causes them to be angry. I know I would get angry when I was a child if things felt they were going out of control. And just sometimes kids want it there way and don't understand why they cant have it there way. When I was very young, I was sick all the time, I never had appetite so my mother was always shoving food down my mouth, and it wasn't pretty I would spit the food in her face, I would scream and yell, in my head at the time I thought she was just being mean and I was angry she was forceing me to do something that seemed to hurt. As an adult I know she had to do that and lucky she holds no anger at my many years of this behavior. But I can image these kids are angry and not even sure how else to express what is going on in there head, when they don't even totally understand it themselves.

There more to bad behavior then bad parents, TV, or games. Its something more serious and its good some parents are willing to figure that out. Those are good parents not bad parents, even if they don't know the best way to go about this atleast they try.

do u know any way to cuminecate with Dr.phill but not in the show

September 4, 2007, 12:43 am CDT

09/04 Violent Kids

For the offenses Cole has committed against the animals alone he should be thrown in a detention centre....That behavior is inexcusable.

September 4, 2007, 2:00 am CDT

Malnourished?

Quote From: rettsgem

My frustration at seeing and hearing and reading about kids who behave like this or kids who have ADD/ADHD is that these kids are malnourished.  Studies have proved that omega 6 fatty acids are deficient in people who exhibit such behaviors.  We are not getting proper nutrition in today's society.  That means no processed foods, no soda pop, in many cases no dairy especialy the kind that is sold in supermarkets and no fake oils.  If you are in an area that gets less sun than say Florida, and good cod liver oil supplement is a must.  If you don't have access to certified organic produce and good whole food vitamin/mineral supplement is a must.  We should be eating fresh raw produce and grass fed beef and free range poultry and by products from those sources.  Organic extra virgin olive oil and  virgin coconut oil and palm oil.  Those are the nutritous oils we should be consuming.  Soy is not a health food.  It over sexes our girls and under sexes our boys because of the phyto estrogens found in soybeans, and phytochemicals cause us to not absorb vital nutrients.  Over weight people are malnourished people.  Hyper active, violent, depressed, etc people are malnourished people.  We are a people who have been duped by TV, magazine, and newspaper ads that tell us that sugary cereals are a good after school snack.  NOT!!!  I tell you this because I was one of them and I continue to remind myself that I'm fat, I have diabetes, I have psoriasis, I had a heart attack because I drank soda pop and ate Doritos and cream cheese and smoked like a freight train and caused these things to happen by my own stubborness and ignorance.  Now there is a TV ad that tells us Hellman's is real.  It's not real because it's made with soybean oil.  And I realize that we are all individuals by what we "choose" to believe.  That there are no absolutes except for those we allow to reside in our minds.  When people ask me if I believe there is a God of the Bible and my answer is ABSOLUTELY!!  Satan lied to Eve and TV lies to its viewers.  Believe what TV says we should eat or believe what the Bible says we should eat.  Hugs from Florida

Come on, is this from experience saying  ADD-ADHD children are malnourished? Well let me educate you. My child was healthy all his life had all the tests performed such as  EEG's labs and so on. No chemical imbalances. By the way, I could not qualify for government help with WIC (food program years ago) because he was too healthy. Weight was good all his tests they did showed he was very healthy.  But my son was off the chain with hyperactivity.

By the way I am a nurse. So I may educate you on this subject. Not all hyperactive/attention deficiet children are malnourished. I have researched this subject on more than one occasion.

My son did at one time become angry  and I had problems with him. But it was not  a malnourish problem. He blamed me for a divorce. When we stopped and spoke to him the problem was resolved.

To this day my son still exhibits some of the ADHD behavior and he is 30 years old. My son is far from malnourished so please speak on what you know not what you think.

September 4, 2007, 6:58 am CDT

09/04 Violent Kids

I can't believe Dr Phil didnt say anything about ODD ( Oppositional Defiant Disorder)

You know, I had problems getting help for my daughter and I heard some of the same BS that I am reading here. "It's the way she was raised", or " She's just a BAD kid". "You should take a belt to her"..This coming from other parents as well as her school. NOBODY would help me. (I too wrote Dr Phil) Out of desperation I started searching the net for a summer camp for kids with behavioral problems, hoping this would help.   While I was searching I  found a web site on ODD. The signs and symptoms of this disorder fit my daughter to a T.  During her freshman yr of High School, I finally found a principal who listened to me. I gave him the print-outs I had on ODD and he researched it on his own. FINALLY I found someone to help me and my daughter. My child is a totally differenty person now. 

Dr Phil , this little boy acts like a child with ODD. If not treated the behavior becomes worse. I wouldn't dare claim to be smarter than you, BUT I AM a mom who has been there done that.

Google it folks.

September 4, 2007, 7:09 am CDT

My Child is almost 33, and still explosive

I know this is about young children, however my child did not become explosive and  violent until he was 18.  Now at 32+, married with 2 children, he still has an explosive temper, and though I do not know for sure if he is violent now, he was when he still lived at home.  There have been times that he has exploded at me for simply having a  conversation with his wife over the phone.  He told me  never to call his house again and "talk about him" to his wife.  He has told me that just because I am his mother, that is no reason that he has to respect me.

I am a nice person, or so I have been told by  others.  I have done nothing to provoke these attacks, it is the way he feels at times.  I feel like I have to chose my words carefully, and walk on eggshells so I don't do anything to set him off, whatever that may be, I don't know it could be anything at any time.  As a mother, I do feel so guilty, that somehow I am to blame, but logically I know that not to be true, emotionally is a different story.   I have had talks with him in which I have tried to find out why he is so angry, and if he ever thought he might want someone to talk to or help him with his outbursts.  His reply was, "I am who I am, and if people do not like that, tough

snot..or use any other word there.

I am grateful that these issues are being addressed for children now, as there really was no real help around when he was at an age earlier in his life where things might be different now.

My husband is a 7th grade teacher, and there have been times I have thougt of buying him a bullet proof vest.

All you  parents out there, please embrace help and guidence.  Things can work out.  People really can change.

September 4, 2007, 7:36 am CDT

Heavy metals / malnourished

We always want to blame the parents, but maybe children's behavior in this day and age is different because the CHILDREN are different.  When Dr. Phil talks about heavy metals, brain inflammation... good Lord, I would think kids with inflamed brains would act a little crazy!  Where are all these metals coming from?  Can that brain inflammation cause permanent brain damage?  How is this happening; can we prevent it?

And allergies... holy moly.  When I was a kid, I knew only one other kid with allergies, and that was some mild hayfever.  Now there are 10 kids with peanut allergy in a nearby school, 2 of them so severe that using a water fountain after a kid who had PBJ for lunch might cause a life-threatening reaction.  Come on!  That's not normal!  1 in 150 kids has autism?  It was 1 in 10,000 a few decades ago!  What has happened?

No, children today are not healthy.  They may be at a healthy weight, munching from all their food groups, but if they are allergic to it, or metals are keeping their bodies from digesting it properly, then they will be malnourished, and their parents may not even realize.

So enough with the "monster parents" theory.  What if something else is making these kids "bad?"  Why is every kid allergic to something?  Where are babies being exposed to these allergens, in serious enough concentrations that their first whiff of peanut butter at age 1 1/2 sends them into shock?  Why is there a line at the school nurse's office for not only Ritalin, but also the asthma inhalers?  Or is the asthmatic child also suffering from a lack of parental discipline?

Dr. Phil, where are all these heavy metals coming from, and how are they getting into our children's bodies and brains?  Shouldn't someone be finding out??? Shouldn't we be doing something about it???

September 4, 2007, 7:38 am CDT

Did You Ask?

Did anyone ever think to ask if this child, or any of these kids, has ever been molested?  Seems to be a high level anger going on here, and molestation would only add to the severity of any other issues these kids have?  I was a foster parent some time back, and saw a lot of this behavior.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last