Message Boards

Topic : 09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

Number of Replies: 2174
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 07, 2007, 03:30:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The Dr. Phil show is kicking off its sixth season, so buckle up because Dr. Phil is coming at you with intensity! This year, he tackles the news stories that impact you – from celebrity meltdowns to school tragedies. He delivers the news to you as it breaks on a revolutionary, high-tech news platform that will change the way you stay informed! Today, he exposes a deadly trend that’s sweeping the nation: driving while sending text messages. Between Blackberrys and cell phones, Americans have a harder and harder time keeping their eyes on the road, but with teens, the problem is even worse. Seventeen-year-old Chelsea averages 5,000 text messages a month and insists that she can text while driving a stick shift. What will it take for her to put the brakes on her dangerous hobby? Plus, Patrick killed a man while texting and driving, and he’s still living with guilt. Will his tragic story be a wake-up call for Chelsea? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 8, 2007, 1:43 pm CDT

From A Driver's Ed Teacher's point of view

This is so dangerous! We try to teach kids over and over again how dangerous this is. My own children even do it. I told them to pick up the phone and call me vs me having to read a text that they just wrote. I can't see the phone well enough to text back. We teach our driver's ed classes that this is a big no no....'experience is the worst way to learn about what texting while driving can do to you'...

I wish more kids would heed the message. But unfortunately many will still do it. It's becoming an epidemic as bad as teenage drinking and driving. It's very dangerous and teens do not understand the ramifications of what could happen. Vehicular Manslaughter as well as just injuring someone else is something that no teenager should have to live with for the rest of their lives. Please Dr. Phil, get the message out..this is an epidemic that kills!!
Brenda
Salisbury, MD

September 8, 2007, 3:25 pm CDT

Texting

I am guilty of texting while driving, though I don't do it very often I have!  It kinda scares me that a person got killed while someone was doing that and it will definately make me think twice the next time when I even think about doing it.  Looking forward to another great year of watching you Dr. Phil.  

September 8, 2007, 5:07 pm CDT

09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

I am definately guilty of text messaging while I'm driving. I text a lot and know exactly where the buttons are on my phone and which ones they are...so I don't even have to take my eyes off the road...not that that makes it any better but....atleast I'm not staring at the phone and doing it. I think this is one of those things that people hear about one person doing and start doing it...because I know I happened to mention that I did it and everyone acted as though I had just confessed to a horrific crime but by the end of that week they were saying they too were doing it....I don't understand that....

September 8, 2007, 5:15 pm CDT

NARSISTIC DRIVERS

I think cell phones should be banned in Canada as well as the U.S. There are enough distractions while driving as it is,we shouldn't add texting or talking on a phone to the mix. These young people who think it's cool to text while driving should stop a minute and think about how they would feel if they hit an innocent person and killed them or killed themselves. How do you think your family would feel living the rest of their lives without their precious child. There can't be ANYTHING so important that you have to put everyone else on the road at risk  to send or answer a message on your cell. In case of an emergency, PULL OVER TO A SAFE PLACE AND MAKE YOUR CALL.

September 8, 2007, 5:26 pm CDT

disabled, not dead!

Widowed now 3+ years at 55 yrs old, I'm a woman who has lived with MS for 30 years which has disabled me ...but..I'm not dead by a long shot!!.

My glass has always been half-full and I have had a life full of adventure and activity.
As a faithful Dr Phil viewer I have found much pleasure knowing I have no regrets about how I have lived my life. I was a full-time mom & part-time dentist until I had to retire from dentistry 2 yrs ago, as my fingers no longer manipulate properly.

My 2 daughters, aged 21 & 24 , are pursuing their goals and I am so proud of them!

As a positive, proactive, pleasant woman I know there are men who would look beyond my walker to find a warm, loving, attractive woman...just where and how would I go about finding such a man?

September 8, 2007, 5:37 pm CDT

Texting while driving is a danger

I can't believe that people are so self centered that they do not care about others who they have to share the road with. Talking on a cell phone, texting while driving, etc.. you get my drift. I do not appreciate people like this who do not think a thing about what they are doing and they could wind up killing some one because of their self centered attitude. This girl should have her phone completely taken away. I also believe that the courts should set up a paln of action for those who break the law and do things like this. Dr. Phil get her to realize that she is endangering all our lives by doing this and that she needs to concentrate on school work and doing the right thing instead of  texting ( yaking) with her firends.

September 8, 2007, 5:54 pm CDT

texting while driving

Quote From: radanie

I am guilty of texting while driving, though I don't do it very often I have!  It kinda scares me that a person got killed while someone was doing that and it will definately make me think twice the next time when I even think about doing it.  Looking forward to another great year of watching you Dr. Phil.  
I have seen people texting while they were driving and talking on the cell phone while driving.  One man was talking on the cell and all of a sudden the conversation exited him and as I watched his arms (both of them) flailing through the air, I wondered , just who is driving now!  As I get older , I am realizing just how short life really is, and why would anyone want to put their life or the life of someone else in jepardy!  I think only cell phones should be permitted for emergencies, and that in order to make an emergency call, one would have to drive to the side of the road and park before placing that emergency call. 
All of the changes in technology that allow us so many more freedoms, is not always positive if we do not use those changes responsibly.  Take care and drive s a f e :)

September 8, 2007, 6:12 pm CDT

Say again?

So she says she can text message while driving a straight? And she admits that she does that? I can drive a straight but that takes pretty much all my effort. I know that while driving a straight it's pretty much an automatic reaction.( shifting gears) But it does require a physical effort. I can't believe that it's safe to do pretty much anything other than shift gears. I don't know anything about texting because I don't text. I barely use my cell phone. It really is mostly for emergencies. I don't even have a camera phone. I'm just not that facinated by cellphones.(too old, I guess) This is heartbreaking to hear about. I hope it might be a wake-up call for anyone out there doing that.

September 8, 2007, 6:38 pm CDT

09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

Seriously, I'm not ttrying to be sarcastic or anything, but can someone tell me the POINT to texting ?  I really don't get it, seems easier to me to dial the number and actually TALK, but that's just me, neither should be done while driving though, seems the kids fighting in the backseat and the idiot that cuts you off are distraction enough, if you want to get ahold of me leave a message, its that simple.

It dosen't suprise me much that teens have taken to it, they are invincible (at least that's what they think ), and I think parents should set the example.

The best one though I've seen yet, is the tourist with a MAP no less, spread out across the steering wheel of one of those million dollar RVS, and I was passing him, that was SCARY.

September 8, 2007, 7:01 pm CDT

Texting while driving

Are you kidding me? There can be no justification whatsoever for texting while driving. Anyone caught doing it should be severely sanctioned...if an adult, by the police, if a teen, by the police and their parents! Talking on a hand held cell phone is bad enough...so often I see people holding the phone to their ear, or out using the speaker phone with one hand, and gesturing with the other hand!  What is holding the steering wheel??  Or better yet, the ones who are dialing while driving...its so easy to see where their eyes are! Hands free, voice activated dialing is a better alternative, but still requires the driver to be paying primary attention to the road.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last