Message Boards

Topic : 09/21 Does Age Matter?

Number of Replies: 733
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:48:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can May-December romances really last? Christopher Knight, famous for his role as Peter on The Brady Bunch, and Adrianne Curry, winner on America's Next Top Model, began their relationship when they starred together on the reality show The Surreal Life 4, and the public watched as they planned their wedding on their own show, My Fair Brady. Now they both say their 24-year age difference is a huge problem in their chaotic marriage. Adrianne says Christopher treats her like an employee, and Christopher says if she worked for him, she would’ve been fired a long time ago. Can these two work out their generational differences? Then, 38-year-old Shelly wants to know if it’s wrong to be in a relationship with an 18-year-old friend of her son. She says he makes her feel beautiful but wonders if she’s causing him or her children harm. Dr. Phil doesn’t mince words when he tells her his opinion. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 21, 2007, 7:44 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

Thank goodness Shelly came on Dr. Phil's show - this is probably her one chance to get the psychological help she apparently desparately needs. 

The fact that a grown woman needs a pimply faced 18 year-old boy to make her "feel pretty" is VERY sad.  Even worse, Shelly has kids of her own that she is screwing up big time.  I would love to ask her how she would feel if some psychologically deficient woman like her did this to HER 18 year-old son.

September 21, 2007, 8:02 am CDT

Age does not matter, age is just a number

I am 22 years old and my Fiancee is 44. we have been a happy couple for 2 years. And happily engadged for 6 months. I met a man that worked in public safety with me, understood that my job is not  a 9-5. That my job begins at a ring of a pager. He understands that because he does the exact samething. Everybody else that I have dated at the same age as me, dont understand my job and get mad when I have to leave during dinner, during a party or whatever. Age difference has never been a problem to me. When my Fiance and I first met the only thing that I had to think about was the fact that he has 3 kids and a crazy ex-wife who needs to be checked into a Psychic Ward. At 22 did I want to be a mother figure to 3 boys and then deal with an ex-wife who trys to control their ex-husbends life and now mine, or the fact that she is very vindictive. I met his kids and fell in love with them. and they have gotten to know me and like me alot. My Fiance and I have a good relationship and have not encountered the problems that everybody has talked about. People say that our relationship is not normal, Hell no, relationships, marriages are not normal or the same. There all different. The only thing that should matter in a relationship or a marriage is that you love each other, you make it work, you have respect for each either and trust each other. Age should not matter. The thing that should matter is the fact the two people on the relationship are happy.

As for Chris Knight and Adrianne Curry! I have watched the Surreal Life and My Fair Brady...... I have to agree that their marriage was doomed before they walked down the asle. Every show began or ended with a fight.

September 21, 2007, 8:03 am CDT

Double Standard?

I find it interesting that people were harder on the 38 year old woman than the 49 year old man.  There is a 24 year difference between Chris and Adrienne and a 20 year difference between the older woman and younger guy.  Yes, I realize that he is 18 and I would not be interested in an 18 year old myself, but if it were a 38 year old guy and an 18 year old girl the feelings would not be as harsh. 

September 21, 2007, 8:04 am CDT

Age Difference

There is a 26 1/2 year difference between me and my husband.  We have been married for 10 1/2 years.  Yes we've had our problems but we have always been able to work them out. 

It's weird because I have a 14 year old daughter and I her while she is in school age does matter.  I think if she were 18 and dating a 50 year old man there would be issues.  :)

What's stranger, when my dad goes to the ER for something I go, the staff thinks I'm his wife and when I'm with my husband they think my husband is my dad.  They are always corrected. We get a good chuckle out of it, but stil. 

BTW - my husband is 5 years old than my parents.

September 21, 2007, 8:07 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

Quote From: bobingram

My wife, who is 17 years old than I am, have been married 28 years (been together 30) and our marriage is a strong partnership that grows stronger every day.  Just 3 years ago on our 25th anniversary we renewed our vows and had the same wedding party - it was great.  My wife retired 19 years ago, however she has continued to work until the last 3 years.  If she had her way she would keep working.  I have 4 years to go to retirement.  We both look forward to the time we can spent together.  The point is:  We enjoy each other, have fun, do things together ... it is all about caring, trusting, sharing and having fun.  Dr. Phil, neither of us would trade this for anything.  We have 7 kids between us, 14 grandkids, 15 great-grandkids and the family grows each year (well almost).  People commented that the marriage wouldn't last 6 months, but we are still happily married after 28 years.  It really doesn't matter what other people think.  what does matter is what is in your heart and your relationship with your love one.  No one that I know of says anything about our age.  We still get invited to functions.  We are treated as a couple - happily married couple that is.  It just does not matter.

thank you for saying it so well, my wife and I are also 17 years difference and have been marriewd for 18 years and have known each other 28 years. i think Dr. Phil is wrong in stating that this type of marriage wont work. We are very happy and even tho we have problems we work them out as adults. we also get invited as a couple to do things and people say we are a joy to be around. yes even tho her children were not sure we would make it we now have an excellant relationship with her kids.

September 21, 2007, 8:14 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

I really don't know where I stand on this issue. Sometimes relationships with big age differences work out, and sometimes they don't.  But I can tell that Shelly definitly didn't get the answer she was looking for. I very much doubt that she'll end this affair. The fact that her son moved out is proof enough that she's hurting her children. She didn't need DrPhil to tell her that.

September 21, 2007, 8:16 am CDT

May-December

How can a man18, be a boy?  I don't agree on this one.

Sorry, but he's old enough to fight and die in Iraq, so why isn't he old enough to have a May-Dec romance? When I met my husband he was 16 and I was 22 ... we were married when he was 19, and we just celebrated our 30th anniversary.

September 21, 2007, 8:19 am CDT

Adrianne and Christopher

I think that Adrianne should drop Christopher like a hot rock. He seems to think that he is still a big star, come on he had to go on a realty show so that kids today would even know his name, and has the right to treat her in ways that no woman should be treated. To satisfy his own lack of a career or fame he found someone with a promising career in front of her and showed his “manhood” by treating her poorly; I suppose it is a power trip on his part. Adrianne is a beautiful and caring young woman that obviously needs some counseling to help her with her self esteem issues so that she can become part of a healthy relationship. I wish her luck in both her career and personal life. He can take a long walk off a short cliff for all he deserves.

September 21, 2007, 8:19 am CDT

I really need some good advice, anyone have a minute?

Today's show was hit close to home. I feel wonderful about my new relationship and so far, my family and friends are on board, very opinionated but they think everything is okay. 

I am dating a 26 year old guy and I am 37. I don't sense an age difference, because although I am an independent career woman, I am very silly and playful. I have an 11 year old son and I am pregnant by my son's father. I have tried for 13 years to work out the relationship with my X but we are not on the same page and never have been. It's been a lot of waisted time on my part and for the most part, I've continued to try for my son's sake. With this new baby on the way, it has opened my heart and eyes up to the fact that I am single, never married, living alone since I was 18 and tired of going after a man who's told me from the beginning that he didn't want to  marry or live together or even have children.

The new man in my life is very mature, career and goal oriented and he loves and adores children. We've been dating for only 3 months but already, there is a connection like no other. We are on the same page, we have lots in common, and we both want commitment, children and marriage. He's told everyone about me, leaving out the part that I am pregnant. I have asked him to do so, so that he does not get his head filled with negativity, if any.

I spent my last pregnancy alone, the father broke up with me and I was very depressed, alone and sick about it. This time around, I have a man who adores me, thinks I am beautiful, he rubs my belly and treats me very respectful.

I say to him, "everyone will wonder why you would date a women with baggage (a child and one on the way)" and he says he's just the guy to foot the bill. He loves that I have a baby on the way and he looks forward to bonding with her and living as a family. He's made a great impression on my son and things are perfect.

We intend to move him in Jan. and from there, we will plan to marry.

There is a part of me that worries what others will think and say, especially his family, but there is more of me that says who cares what everyone thinks, I have never been so happy and from what he tells me, neither has he.

I am very curious to know what Dr. Phil thinks about this but understand that he's a very busy man, therefor I was hoping to get some advice from his viewers.

Please be gentle, but honest in your responses, thanking you in advance.

September 21, 2007, 8:26 am CDT

age does not matter

I was really surprised that Dr. Phil said the things that he did . I married a man who was twenty at then time and I was fortysix it has been 16 years and we are still together and my younges is two years older than he is . I do not think that this is a bad thing as it would be though of in a differant light if it was turned the other way . I hope that Dr. Phil reads this as I really think his atitude sucks big time and it makes him sound like a opinionated boar.

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last