Message Boards

Topic : 09/21 Does Age Matter?

Number of Replies: 733
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:48:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can May-December romances really last? Christopher Knight, famous for his role as Peter on The Brady Bunch, and Adrianne Curry, winner on America's Next Top Model, began their relationship when they starred together on the reality show The Surreal Life 4, and the public watched as they planned their wedding on their own show, My Fair Brady. Now they both say their 24-year age difference is a huge problem in their chaotic marriage. Adrianne says Christopher treats her like an employee, and Christopher says if she worked for him, she would’ve been fired a long time ago. Can these two work out their generational differences? Then, 38-year-old Shelly wants to know if it’s wrong to be in a relationship with an 18-year-old friend of her son. She says he makes her feel beautiful but wonders if she’s causing him or her children harm. Dr. Phil doesn’t mince words when he tells her his opinion. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 21, 2007, 9:02 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

Dr. Phil proved today that the double standard is still prevailing today and he blatantly exhibited it. He was polite to Peter Brady and his wife. She was barely into her 20's when they  first got together and he was well into his 40's but to the woman on next he made her out to be demented and sick and those were his words. The woman on the webcam was bent out of shape because her 20 year old stepson was in love with a 39 year old woman and that was also in the demented and sick catagory. I was 39 and my husband was 20 when we first got together and we've had 31 beautiful years together and we're still going strong in all ways. We were accepted as a great couple by our family and friends and have never had a problem with it. Our internal ages meet.  We are not sick oe demented,  just a happily married couple. I love Dr. Phil but not today.  I was very disappointed in the way he handled it. Even if he disapproved, and she did ask for his opinion, he didn't have to handle it the way he did. And if he's so against it why didn't he treat Peter Brady the same way!!!!!

September 21, 2007, 9:06 am CDT

you have got to be kidding!

I think the woman dating her son's best-friend is no more different than a child molester.

To sit and say that she has things in common with him is delusional at best, I guess they do have something in common it's called her (son). As a mother of five children and a single-parent I have never felt lonely enough to even consider looking at one of my children's friends. In my opinion this is nothing more than child abuse. She needs God and a kick in the pants. 

September 21, 2007, 9:20 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

Quote From: myownself2

I feel exactly like the people above and they have expressed it all beautifully. I am 19 years older than my husband and we have had 31 years of happiness together. he has always been mature in his ways and I've always been younger in mine so our internal ages meet.  We both love the same things and dislike the same things. We love Country music and go to all the concerts and gigs that our favorite band "Gunsmoke" plays. We have had and still have a wonderful life. I love Dr. Phil but not today. I thought that he treated the first two with respect because it was the male that was older and when they first met she was barely into her 20's and he was well into his 40's but treated the others like, and telling them that theirs was sick and demented. Our families were not against us and we always had the love and acceptance of everyone. Each couple has to make up their own minds and hearts and not ask anyone else. Everyone's tastes and needs are different and no one else can make their decision.
How old was your husband when you first met? I'm not so sure it was the number of years between the woman and boy (and that is what he is), it's the fact that he is still so young.

September 21, 2007, 9:20 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

Quote From: patricaia

Today's show was hit close to home. I feel wonderful about my new relationship and so far, my family and friends are on board, very opinionated but they think everything is okay. 

I am dating a 26 year old guy and I am 37. I don't sense an age difference, because although I am an independent career woman, I am very silly and playful. I have an 11 year old son and I am pregnant by my son's father. I have tried for 13 years to work out the relationship with my X but we are not on the same page and never have been. It's been a lot of waisted time on my part and for the most part, I've continued to try for my son's sake. With this new baby on the way, it has opened my heart and eyes up to the fact that I am single, never married, living alone since I was 18 and tired of going after a man who's told me from the beginning that he didn't want to  marry or live together or even have children.

The new man in my life is very mature, career and goal oriented and he loves and adores children. We've been dating for only 3 months but already, there is a connection like no other. We are on the same page, we have lots in common, and we both want commitment, children and marriage. He's told everyone about me, leaving out the part that I am pregnant. I have asked him to do so, so that he does not get his head filled with negativity, if any.

I spent my last pregnancy alone, the father broke up with me and I was very depressed, alone and sick about it. This time around, I have a man who adores me, thinks I am beautiful, he rubs my belly and treats me very respectful.

I say to him, "everyone will wonder why you would date a women with baggage (a child and one on the way)" and he says he's just the guy to foot the bill. He loves that I have a baby on the way and he looks forward to bonding with her and living as a family. He's made a great impression on my son and things are perfect.

We intend to move him in Jan. and from there, we will plan to marry.

There is a part of me that worries what others will think and say, especially his family, but there is more of me that says who cares what everyone thinks, I have never been so happy and from what he tells me, neither has he.

I am very curious to know what Dr. Phil thinks about this but understand that he's a very busy man, therefor I was hoping to get some advice from his viewers.

Please be gentle, but honest in your responses, thanking you in advance.

My husband is 19 years younger than I and we have been together for 31 wonderful years and married for 25. Don't listen to the naysayers just listen to your heart. Your man sounds like a real keeper. Don't let him get away. My husband and I are still going strong in all areas of life and enjoying every minute. All the people that I had worked with and knew that were married to people of their "same age group" have been divorced by now but we're still happy. My granddaughter is 11 years younger than her husband and my grandson is 12 years younger than his wife and they're all happy. These are positive examples. Don't let anyone talk you down. As far as his family goes always be sweet and nice no matter what even if you have to bite your tongue at times and they will have to like you eventually if not already. It's your internal connection that counts not the year that you were born. Good luck to both of you and have a happy marriage.

September 21, 2007, 9:29 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

Quote From: myownself2

Dr. Phil proved today that the double standard is still prevailing today and he blatantly exhibited it. He was polite to Peter Brady and his wife. She was barely into her 20's when they  first got together and he was well into his 40's but to the woman on next he made her out to be demented and sick and those were his words. The woman on the webcam was bent out of shape because her 20 year old stepson was in love with a 39 year old woman and that was also in the demented and sick catagory. I was 39 and my husband was 20 when we first got together and we've had 31 beautiful years together and we're still going strong in all ways. We were accepted as a great couple by our family and friends and have never had a problem with it. Our internal ages meet.  We are not sick oe demented,  just a happily married couple. I love Dr. Phil but not today.  I was very disappointed in the way he handled it. Even if he disapproved, and she did ask for his opinion, he didn't have to handle it the way he did. And if he's so against it why didn't he treat Peter Brady the same way!!!!!
Sorry didn't see this post before. I see you two are exactly the same in age difference. Glad that it worked out for you. But my guess is had you been the couple on his show asking for his opinion you would have heard the same. Not saying that's how I feel, but I've seen enough of DrPhil to pretty much guess what he'll have to say.

September 21, 2007, 9:30 am CDT

Age Doesn't Always Matter

I think it does people in May-December relationships a disservice to try to clump them all together and say that age matters, or that it doesn't. Every relationship is different. It's not the age of the two people involved that is going to determine the success of the relationship. It's the maturity of the two individuals, the compatability between them, the communication, the respect, etc.  I've been involved with an older man for eight years, and married to him for four. He is eighteen years older than I am, and it's the best relationship that either of us have been in........ever. We wouldn't trade our relationship for the world.

September 21, 2007, 9:44 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

I agree with Dr. Phil.  I believe this women is sick.  And then to  have young kids living in the same house.  What are you teaching them.  I don't blame her son for moving out.  What ever happened to family values.  She is not using her head, she is using what's between her legs.  How sick.

September 21, 2007, 9:45 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

Quote From: jayane333

get your sone out of this....she is a chid molester.!!!!!.that is just to to much..i am 45 and my son is 20...and how far off is that really....not very.!I have dated men younger than me..but not younger than 8 years..and even there was a difference then..as a matter of fact they are allways a bit younger so i'm trying not to be a hypocrite..she is just sick.and i would take a look at his relationship[ with his mother.
Both of the parties in the relationship are adults. Therefore, it's not up to "Mommy" to get him out of anything. He is old enough to make his own decisions, and to accept the consequences for them, positive or negative. Give them a chance, and if it DOES last, then you won't have lost your son forever.

September 21, 2007, 9:50 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

Quote From: ginnydoll

Rule of thumb--if you are old enough to have been someone's parent, you should not be dating them, married to them or having children with them.  This goes for everyone, including the people in Hollyweird that think that you have kids first and then get married, and that as men get older their wives must get younger-in this way we achieve the fountain of youth.
My husband is 18 years older than I am, so we fall into this category. Broad generalizations like yours are truly offensive to me. We are VERY happy together, and have found true love with one another. Both of his children (who are 15 and 16 yrs younger than me) say that they've never seen him as happy as he has been in the last eight years....and my three children also say that I have never been happier. Sometimes we get second glances from people when we're walking through the mall hand in hand, but you know what? We don't care!   :)

September 21, 2007, 10:11 am CDT

Adrienne and Chris were IDIOTS to marry...

On what PLANET do you marry a woman when you're thinking in your head, "this woman will make a HORRIBLE mother!" If you then have children with this woman you should be imprisoned for child abuse.

AND, on what planet do you marry a man who has a pattern of divorce? These two should be put on an island with all other stupid people, then they could live in stupid land without bothering the rest of us.

Let's see, NAGGING a man into marrying you is NOT the best foundation for a marriage. And marrying a woman JUST to shut her up....again, neither of these people are the brightest crayon in the box.

First | Prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next | Last