Message Boards

Topic : 09/21 Does Age Matter?

Number of Replies: 733
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:48:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can May-December romances really last? Christopher Knight, famous for his role as Peter on The Brady Bunch, and Adrianne Curry, winner on America's Next Top Model, began their relationship when they starred together on the reality show The Surreal Life 4, and the public watched as they planned their wedding on their own show, My Fair Brady. Now they both say their 24-year age difference is a huge problem in their chaotic marriage. Adrianne says Christopher treats her like an employee, and Christopher says if she worked for him, she would’ve been fired a long time ago. Can these two work out their generational differences? Then, 38-year-old Shelly wants to know if it’s wrong to be in a relationship with an 18-year-old friend of her son. She says he makes her feel beautiful but wonders if she’s causing him or her children harm. Dr. Phil doesn’t mince words when he tells her his opinion. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 15, 2007, 6:10 am CDT

Had 31 years with my husband who was 21 years my senior

Doctor Phil, 

I just lost my husband of 31 years and I can tell you that we had a fantastic marriage. Yes, we had problems but, we worked them out by sitting down like adults and discussing the problem not yelling.

I know in my heart that I could not have married a younger man because to many ,not all young men are I people and only think about what is good for them.  But, when you get involved with an older man don't think that He will change when you get married He won't. And that's what I loved about my husband because I alway's knew where He stood.

September 15, 2007, 7:43 am CDT

38 vs.18

Are you kidding!?#@ He's a baby, you are a grown woman. His testosterone is doing all the talking. You need to get over yourself and please find someone your own age!!! What is your son saying about this?

Jeri

September 15, 2007, 7:51 am CDT

age doesn't matter

i was unhappily married to someone 17 years older than me....my aunt is married to someone 25 years older and they are very happy....my sister is married to a man 17 years younger than her and they are ecstatic....it depends on the person, not the age.  my sister and her husband have very similar views on religion, music, and many other things plus they both think the other is hot stuff!  if you are compatible, you are compatible....i will say 38 with an 18 year old is a little weird..i can't think of a thing i would say to an 18 year old but.....maybe they aren't talking......

September 15, 2007, 8:54 am CDT

28 years and going strong with 17 yrs difference

My wife, who is 17 years old than I am, have been married 28 years (been together 30) and our marriage is a strong partnership that grows stronger every day.  Just 3 years ago on our 25th anniversary we renewed our vows and had the same wedding party - it was great.  My wife retired 19 years ago, however she has continued to work until the last 3 years.  If she had her way she would keep working.  I have 4 years to go to retirement.  We both look forward to the time we can spent together.  The point is:  We enjoy each other, have fun, do things together ... it is all about caring, trusting, sharing and having fun.  Dr. Phil, neither of us would trade this for anything.  We have 7 kids between us, 14 grandkids, 15 great-grandkids and the family grows each year (well almost).  People commented that the marriage wouldn't last 6 months, but we are still happily married after 28 years.  It really doesn't matter what other people think.  what does matter is what is in your heart and your relationship with your love one.  No one that I know of says anything about our age.  We still get invited to functions.  We are treated as a couple - happily married couple that is.  It just does not matter.

September 15, 2007, 10:20 am CDT

christopher knight/adrian curry

I watched the surreal life where they met...then the follow up shows where she battered and browbeat him into getting married...she is a beautiful girl...why was she so hungry to be married? ray charles could have seen this one coming...I am sooooooooo disenchanted with the whole thing...another reality show couple bites the dust!

September 15, 2007, 10:50 am CDT

Does Age Matter

A marriage is what the 2 people involved say it is.  What works for one couple would split up another.  My husband is 24 years older than I and we will celebrate our 21 anniversary this month.  He is 84 and I just turned 61.  He had graduated from the Naval Academy before I was born.  I love listening to his WWII stories.  It has worked for us but I know it is not for everyone.  If age difference bothers a person they probably should not get themselves into such a situation.  Thanks for listening and y’all take care now.  Abbi

September 15, 2007, 10:55 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Age Doctor Does Matter Phil. Of course age does matter.  Right now I am only 49. But I will be Fifty next-----

year. See you next week. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------------------------

September 15, 2007, 11:34 am CDT

Des age matter

Quote From: susielries

i was unhappily married to someone 17 years older than me....my aunt is married to someone 25 years older and they are very happy....my sister is married to a man 17 years younger than her and they are ecstatic....it depends on the person, not the age.  my sister and her husband have very similar views on religion, music, and many other things plus they both think the other is hot stuff!  if you are compatible, you are compatible....i will say 38 with an 18 year old is a little weird..i can't think of a thing i would say to an 18 year old but.....maybe they aren't talking......
Yes it definitely does.  My dtr. dated some one 13 yrs. younger then her.  They did fine for a while.  Then he decided if they have children it would be a problem. He was 23 she 38.  He felt that they could have a baby born imperfect with her age difference.  What a stupid thing to think about.  They broke up.  It was hard on her, but she is a better person then him.  Judy

September 15, 2007, 12:00 pm CDT

My son is 22 and with a woman 39

My son is 22 and his female boss at work came onto him.  Now 2 years later they live together which makes me ill.  She has a son 1 yr younger than my son and just had her first grandbaby.  More than anything it is embarrassing to me as a parent that he has chosen this woman.  Before this he was in college and lived off campus with his girlfriend who dumped him when she graduated.  He left college, came home, got a job and was vunerable to her sexual advances.  He says he feels sorry for her, they really have nothing in common accept his paycheck.  She has serious past history of money woes, bankruptcy and 3 ex husbands. They fight continuely and he has moved out several times.  This last time he didn't take anything but his clothes back with him.  She has him so woven in her web  he will not listen to us so we have just thrown up our hands as parents, my husband says one day he will come to his senses and wonder " what was I thinking."   

September 15, 2007, 12:35 pm CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

Quote From: gh38133

Are you kidding!?#@ He's a baby, you are a grown woman. His testosterone is doing all the talking. You need to get over yourself and please find someone your own age!!! What is your son saying about this?

Jeri

I have to agree with you.  I have a 22 yr old son with a 39 yr old woman and makes me ill to think about it.  To me she is like a child molester, he had very little experience with women and met her at work when he was 20.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last