Message Boards

Topic : 09/21 Does Age Matter?

Number of Replies: 733
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:48:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can May-December romances really last? Christopher Knight, famous for his role as Peter on The Brady Bunch, and Adrianne Curry, winner on America's Next Top Model, began their relationship when they starred together on the reality show The Surreal Life 4, and the public watched as they planned their wedding on their own show, My Fair Brady. Now they both say their 24-year age difference is a huge problem in their chaotic marriage. Adrianne says Christopher treats her like an employee, and Christopher says if she worked for him, she would’ve been fired a long time ago. Can these two work out their generational differences? Then, 38-year-old Shelly wants to know if it’s wrong to be in a relationship with an 18-year-old friend of her son. She says he makes her feel beautiful but wonders if she’s causing him or her children harm. Dr. Phil doesn’t mince words when he tells her his opinion. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 16, 2007, 6:16 am CDT

age does matter

Quote From: katnip5573

I have to agree with you.  I have a 22 yr old son with a 39 yr old woman and makes me ill to think about it.  To me she is like a child molester, he had very little experience with women and met her at work when he was 20.
get your sone out of this....she is a chid molester.!!!!!.that is just to to much..i am 45 and my son is 20...and how far off is that really....not very.!I have dated men younger than me..but not younger than 8 years..and even there was a difference then..as a matter of fact they are allways a bit younger so i'm trying not to be a hypocrite..she is just sick.and i would take a look at his relationship[ with his mother.

September 16, 2007, 6:48 am CDT

38???

First, she's showing how insecure she is by being with a CHILD!!!  Not to mention a friend of her sons???  That's just plain nuts.  I have kids that age and couldn't imagine being with them, no matter how I felt...it's just plain WRONG!!!

September 16, 2007, 6:53 am CDT

GROSS

Rule of thumb--if you are old enough to have been someone's parent, you should not be dating them, married to them or having children with them.  This goes for everyone, including the people in Hollyweird that think that you have kids first and then get married, and that as men get older their wives must get younger-in this way we achieve the fountain of youth.

September 16, 2007, 7:24 am CDT

Age does matter

I think it's disgusting when when an OLDER person dates a TEENAGER!!! There is a woman in her 40' s dating a BOY who just turned 20 they belong to Bebo.com and they always comment to each other "I love you baby. She has a son around the same age as the BOY, i wonder how her son feels. All of you out there that date Teenagers are nothing but disgusting PERVERTS!!!!!! 

September 16, 2007, 8:13 am CDT

Does age matter...

I was married and yes I was the December...he was 12 years younger than me.  It was the most horrific experience of my life.  13 years of pure insanity.  i met a wonderful person, would not tell me his age because I was not going to get involved with another younger man.  My  husband 2 years prior was 7 years younger and broke my heart because he left after 6 months, because marriage just was not what he thought it would be.  That is another story...so we had a blind date at the very start of the 13 years of hell on Earth.  Long story short I tried to get free so many times from his controlling ways, violent behavior, and physical abuse, verbal abuse after a black eye caused the world to see what was going on behind those doors....We have two wonderful boys, that I wanted to get away from the chaos, and finally did...but I am living far away to give us all peace from the constant suicide threats, and it is all my fault and look what you did to me.  Never a warmer giver of gifts, he was that.  But it was the way he showed love, not anything could be out of his control because it was the only way that things worked out right....in our world.  Now our boys are a bit scarred, I heart the tones, and words that they grew up with...but everything had to be lost in my life to get free.  Lost the house, the car. credit is absolutely ruined because everything was in my name.  But it was worth getting the boys free.  I could be free sure, but they still had to be in his clutches on his weekends.  Many times the oldest one that lookes exactly like him came home with a swelled lip, because he tried to have an opinion.  They would say, Mom we have to check our brain at the door to go to Dads.  He had the money to provide for them, and they tried when our life was at a very low spot  due to my unemployment, I gave up a 40K job because I was near loosing my mind and I could not do the new job they gave me due to all the stress at home....but they went to live with Dad, and begged to come back because of his tyrant ways.  Yes, I am soft, loving and nurturing, that was my job according to him, his job was to be the tough guy getting them ready for life....Arguing with him was impossible, he could talk his way around me and if I answered the fight would go on for another 4  hours.  It was a May December relationship, that did not look weird, as I look younger than my age...many thought it had to be for the testerone of a younger man...many times I said this is like living with my mean younger brother because sex did not happen....because I did not act right...so I know that was not it.  Love could have been there, but fear and a constant state of hysteria was.  So now I have been free for 4 years and have not dated past maybe a dinner, I said no one prepared me for being single more than my marriage.  I imagine there are nice men out there but my sons will not have a negative influience in their lives, and really they want a man in mine that they can look up to....but I just can't bear to try.  I let myself stay as ugly as I could so he would not want to be near me, did not work.  I tried to be pretty, did not treat me any different.  We were always brought down to an unhappy level because who is allowed to be happy with an uphappy person at the helm....so I say to you...Age was not the issue....it was the Jeckyl and Heyde person that was there....Noone that  "knows" him would ever believe that he was such a person, because noone else ever saw it.  And he is now...as he says...dying of congestive heart failure and it is my fault...for trying to stop the cycle of mania that they lived all of their young lives.  Today they are 15 and 12 and we struggle daily to keep the good feelings growing.  Believing in God has been what has helped me, and I don't do enough to give the boys a good Christian life, but they both read the Bible and are good boys.  It was just not a good experience, but I love my boys and we are together, and will continue to just keep trying.  It is really hard to decide what is best when children are involved but in my heart for them I know that getting far away was their only saving grace.

September 16, 2007, 8:35 am CDT

Age difference

Age difference is a huge deal!  At 38 years old, she definately should not be dating an 18 year old. I have an 18 year old. At that age they can barely make decisions for themselves. They're learning how to become an adult.  If this person is 38 and wanting an 18 year old, she needs therapy instead. Find someone her own age or within a few years difference. Not a 20 years difference. It's not only damaging to the 18 year old, but to her children as well. They will lose the "respect factor" for their mother. "Oh yea, mom's doing it with my friend." Yuck...how gross is that? It's very sad that people stoop to this. Perhaps the 38 year old is having a mid-life crisis, which of course is a whole other show.

Christopher Knight set a bad example by marrying the girl from Sureal Life.  On top of that, according to the show, they had many problems before walking down the isle. I realize many older men want a "trophy wife", but they definately aren't thinking past their waist.  My husband is 8 years older than me, and even we have issues because of the generation gap.  Wake up people!

September 16, 2007, 9:06 am CDT

naive!

Quote From: katnip5573

I have to agree with you.  I have a 22 yr old son with a 39 yr old woman and makes me ill to think about it.  To me she is like a child molester, he had very little experience with women and met her at work when he was 20.
That is  is what desperate people would do just to convince them selves that what they think they have is real ,But then reality of the matter catches up with them and no one like the result of it .Yes i do believe it is a good ,When you feel that way that you  acually convince yourself that it is all real ,of which is not !what your all douing is wasting each other 's time .FIne someone your own age .!

September 16, 2007, 9:48 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

I don't have a problem with a 20 year age difference-that is if they are 38-58, 48-68, you get the drift.  Any Adult that involves themselves with an 18 year old young woman or young man is one step above a pediphile in my opinion.  People that age do not have life experience to draw on to help them make informed decisions. 

September 16, 2007, 9:52 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

Quote From: ginnydoll

Rule of thumb--if you are old enough to have been someone's parent, you should not be dating them, married to them or having children with them.  This goes for everyone, including the people in Hollyweird that think that you have kids first and then get married, and that as men get older their wives must get younger-in this way we achieve the fountain of youth.
I had a friend who's parents were 15 years apart in age.  They raised 6 children together and were very loving and happy.  After her father died, her mother died a year later and all of the children believed it was from a broken heart.  It doesn't work for everyone having an age difference but it has for some.

September 16, 2007, 9:54 am CDT

Age definitely doesn't matter

I have been married for 17 + years to a man 19 years my senior and God blessed me when He sent me my husband. I would never have lasted in a marriage with someone my age. I grew up around and became used to, people that are older than me. It's the best thing that ever happened to me in my life.

Giddy in Spring Hill, FL.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last