Message Boards

Topic : 09/21 Does Age Matter?

Number of Replies: 733
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:48:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can May-December romances really last? Christopher Knight, famous for his role as Peter on The Brady Bunch, and Adrianne Curry, winner on America's Next Top Model, began their relationship when they starred together on the reality show The Surreal Life 4, and the public watched as they planned their wedding on their own show, My Fair Brady. Now they both say their 24-year age difference is a huge problem in their chaotic marriage. Adrianne says Christopher treats her like an employee, and Christopher says if she worked for him, she would’ve been fired a long time ago. Can these two work out their generational differences? Then, 38-year-old Shelly wants to know if it’s wrong to be in a relationship with an 18-year-old friend of her son. She says he makes her feel beautiful but wonders if she’s causing him or her children harm. Dr. Phil doesn’t mince words when he tells her his opinion. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 20, 2007, 4:04 pm CDT

age is just a number

No I don't think age matters! What matters is how two people feel about each other!! My grandparents are 11 yrs a part! I'm 6 yrs younger than my husband! It's all in the heart! If two people love each other and can truely work together in life to survive then that's when age doesn't matter! Happiness is always the key! If people aren't happy in a relationship then what's the point? The only time I think age matters is when a  person over 18 dates a person under 18! To me what's the point in that!! You can't do anything fun with the person in a romantic passionate way without getting in trouble!

September 20, 2007, 6:46 pm CDT

I'd have to agree find someone your own age

I am 42 yrs of age and have absolutely nothing in common with any of the 20 somethings I work with.  They are full of excessive energy, are drama queens/kings, blow up every little small event that happens in their lives, I am so glad I can work independently and not have to hear the BS all the time.  When guys my age date very young women they want to get in touch with their youth again and aren't mentally mature enough to date their peers.  They want someone they can control/boss around, along with the arm candy bit.

September 21, 2007, 12:48 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

Ever since I can remember I have been sexually attracted to women in their late forties early fifities. I am talking about back when I was a boy, looking at the glamorous imgaes of women on the Love Boat, and Fantasy Island. And when I had friends I found myself attracted to their aunts and grandmothers.

My 20's were a frustating time in my life, the women I was interested in didnt take me seriously and I usually ended up alone and frustrated. Now that I am in my late 30's I am estatic. Now the women that I am interested in arent so quick to dismiss my entreaties based on my age,(well a few still do), but I havent dated a woman under 45 in about 5 years and life is good now!

In closing, I just want to say that  I think it is a shame that there are so many good looking.... no... GORGEOUS women out there who are so narrow in their idea of what beauty is, that when they look in the mirror that cannot fathom that there are men out here like me who can not only be attracted to them, but see them as preference.

September 21, 2007, 3:57 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

So how come it's perfectly okay for an old goat like the former Peter Brady to marry a girl of 22, but when it's the woman who's older she's just a sick pervert? 

September 21, 2007, 4:02 am CDT

09/21 Does Age Matter?

Quote From: ladycarol49

The fact that he is a friend of your son should tell you that you are too old for him. I'm sure if the roles were reversed and some "older woman" was sniffing around your son you'd be extremely upset, or at leaast you should be. This young boy is just beginning to find his wings. He still has so much to discover. Leave him alone. Don't you have any men your age in your town/city? Go find someone your own age, before you do serious harm to this boy's young life. You ought to be ashamed of yourself !!! Can you not entice someone in your own age range? Back off, I'm sure your son would be a lot happier too.

Where are the parents of the child this woman is sleeping with???  This is crazy!!

September 21, 2007, 6:10 am CDT

Age could matter....

I think age could matter, but it is mostly the individuals themselves that need to be considered.

1.  Adrienne and Chris...... you guys should not have gotten married until you worked out a lot of these issues.... on the tv show, you had a knock down-drag-em-out fight the NIGHT BEFORE......... did neither of you clue in that maybe you should take a step back?    I really think that the big white wedding was more important to Adrienne than the actual marriage and relationship.  Adrienne was looking for validation and Chris is looking to stroke his own ego with a beautiful starry eyed and naive woman.

2.   The second couple..... it would not be so bad if you had a 20 year age difference and the guy was at least 25 or 30 years old......    The fact that he is barely 18, is a problem.  What can he contribute experientially or financially to the relatinship?    Please don't exploit his youth and energy just so you can feel appreciated. 

September 21, 2007, 6:50 am CDT

Today's Guests

IMO, Christopher & Adrianne DESERVE each other. Both of them are immature and selfish. Adrianne is acting like many 20-somethings, and Crhistopher, despite his chronological age, doesn't seem to be much more mature than that. Unless they start taking that therapy to heart, we will soon see the blurb on the entertainment page announcing their pending divorce.

There is definitely a "creep" factor with Shelly. She's too obviously just out for a good time and thinking of her pleasure. Her use of the word "boy" was as icky as Sanjaya (age 40, from last season) remarking about "training [Jacqueline, age 18]". In neither case is the older partner looking for a true "relationship" or "partnership." Occasionally, the 18- or 19-y/o is mature enough to handle that sort of relationship; this is not the case with Mark (?).

September 21, 2007, 6:58 am CDT

wow this subject is very touchy for me. My mom did the same thing. She met a boy my brothers age. They dated. He was 18 also. Her other children are all adults. He broke up with her because he wanted children, she was way past that age of child bearing. We brought her to our home for Christmas shortly after the break up. She was so depressed, cried all the time, thinking bout him continuously. Didn't matter that we lived in another state, and rarely saw her.  I think this age thing is absolutely ridiculous. And it's immature. Tells me the mind set of the older woman is still acting like a child

September 21, 2007, 7:01 am CDT

whats the difference

I am not crazy about the age thing here with this woman and 18 yr old, but I agree with one other post, an 18 year old is considered a legal adult and can make adult decisions according to the law. I feel like if this was a 40 year old man dating a 20  year old woman, then there wouldnt be any issues at all. I get sick of the gender biased crap when it comes to these kind of things. Why is it wrong for a woman, and not a man. I didnt hear Dr. Phil ripping into Chris with his behavior or the age gap between them like he did this woman.................

September 21, 2007, 7:19 am CDT

16 year difference

5 years ago this week I married a man that is 16 years older than me.  There are good points and bad points to it.   It is great that he had an opportunity to get it "out of his system" before we met.  I know that he will be home at night and I have never worried about him running around on me.  The disadvantage are that we quickly had children.   We had very little "us" time before the kids arrived.  It was a now or never situation because he did not want to be raising children during retirement.  By the time the kids are in college my husband will be retiring and I will be in a full swing career.  It will be a challenge for us to ever experience leisure time together beyond the occasional weekend trip. There are also times when it shows through that he does not see me as an equal.  He second guesses my opinion and doubts that I know what I am talking about.  His family never respected me.  They have been rude to me from day one.  They called me a gold digger.  Hello, my husband works at a sewer treatment plant... if I am a gold digger then I really screwed that one up.  We argue about his family a lot.  I love my husband and I feel fortunate to have him in my life despite our issues. 

Basically I want to say that yes, it can work.  I just would suggest that someone considering a relationship with a substantial age difference should think it through thourghly first.  Think beyond the now and consider how you will feel when your spouse is retired and you have another 20 years to go.  There is a lot more to it than simply dealing with people guessing if your spouse is your uncle, father or boyfriend.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last