Message Boards

Topic : 09/21 Does Age Matter?

Number of Replies: 733
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 14, 2007, 03:48:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can May-December romances really last? Christopher Knight, famous for his role as Peter on The Brady Bunch, and Adrianne Curry, winner on America's Next Top Model, began their relationship when they starred together on the reality show The Surreal Life 4, and the public watched as they planned their wedding on their own show, My Fair Brady. Now they both say their 24-year age difference is a huge problem in their chaotic marriage. Adrianne says Christopher treats her like an employee, and Christopher says if she worked for him, she would’ve been fired a long time ago. Can these two work out their generational differences? Then, 38-year-old Shelly wants to know if it’s wrong to be in a relationship with an 18-year-old friend of her son. She says he makes her feel beautiful but wonders if she’s causing him or her children harm. Dr. Phil doesn’t mince words when he tells her his opinion. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 26, 2007, 11:31 pm CDT

Same shoes,hang in there!

I am a 24 year old married to a 48 year old,we are both Born again Christians,I love her very much,we both met through her son.,I was 18 at the time. we were friends first,she became seperated(her ex has anger issues and abuse too)we became a couple ,alot of peole had a really hard time with it,.my mom included,but after six years together,her children accept it as does her family,my mother also accepts it,in fact we had Thanksgiving dinner with her last year as a family.We are very much in love,I love her beauty inside as well as her outward.I am not interested in young girls who are so self absorbed,and imature.We are not planing on having children,and I am the breadwinner,she does not have property or money that I live off of.I think Dr.Phil was wrong to judge her so harshly,and he is 18 legal age to do what he wants.,if he can go to war and kill,why cant he nbe with a woman he loves?There is a double standard here ,its okay if an older man marries and 18 year old,but not if its a woman,how very lame.Oh,and I have a very good relationship with my mother,Dr.Phil

September 27, 2007, 3:37 pm CDT

Age Difference

I can relate to this subject because when I met my husband, he was 46 and I had just turned 21. That was 10 years ago, we have been married for 8 years. I believe age matters depending on the circumstances. I feel women are more mature at 18 then an 18 year old boy. I'm not really sure how I feel about the 38 year old woman and the 18 year old boy. I just don't think the boy is mature enough. He is still interested in video games and skate boards. I think the 38 year old lady is thinking rationally and is taking advantage of the boys inmaturity. She needs to think about her family and how this will impact it.

September 28, 2007, 9:06 am CDT

Moms out there?

I think it is obvious how many people writing do not have a teenage son. Dr. Phil does (or did) and so do I. No one knows better how immature an 18 year old boy is than a parent. I am shocked at how many people think it is fine to date such a young person!! How about 16? That is only 2 years difference but turns the same boy into jailbait. Shelley, do you really want YOUR son dating one of your peers?

September 28, 2007, 12:16 pm CDT

Life Experience Counts

At one point, Dr. Phil mentioned something to the fact that someone in thier teens or 20s just don't have the same life experience as someone decades older than they are. I feel that as we get older, our maturity levels reach about the same point, and this happens somewhere in your 30s or even 40s. So someone that is 40 dating someone that is 20, just is not going to work out for the long haul. But someone in their 60s dating someone in thier 40's has a much better chance as both parties come to the relationship with experience and maturity.

September 28, 2007, 1:56 pm CDT

9/21 age differences

You ripped the older woman dating a younger man a new one, which I agree with. Why did you go so easy on the old man dating the obviously inmature for her age (not meant to be derogitry) woman? Mr. Knight DOES have more life experience (although his morals are questionable) & should know enough to realize she deserves to have her own (preferably with someone who is having those experiences WITH her, not just talking about the ones he has already had) Do the right thing Mr. Knight, if you are as wise as you say, you KNOW how much she is going to miss out on by being with you. You also would know that is too young to realize this herself. You can love someone & not be with them because you know it is not in their best interest. This would be the true measure of love.

September 28, 2007, 2:08 pm CDT

9/21 age differences

You ripped the older woman dating a younger man a new one, which I agree with. Why did you go so easy on the old man dating the obviously inmature for her age (not meant to be derogitry) woman? Mr. Knight DOES have more life experience (although his morals are questionable) & should know enough to realize she deserves to have her own (preferably with someone who is having those experiences WITH her, not just talking about the ones he has already had) Do the right thing Mr. Knight, if you are as wise as you say, you KNOW how much she is going to miss out on by being with you. You also would know that is too young to realize this herself. You can love someone & not be with them because you know it is not in their best interest. This would be the true measure of love.

September 28, 2007, 8:09 pm CDT

HELLO- They are MARRIED!!

To hogbradford: The true measure of love would be for Chris to leave Adrianne? Are you kidding? Chris has questionable morals? He married the woman he loved. They argue like any other couple. They are married. They have made a commitment to each other before God. You would undo that to show how much you love someone? Give me a break! Why don't you try to offer constructive advice to a couple who is reaching out for help. Chris and Adrianne I think you are a great couple. You compliment each others needs. I pray that you can get through these tough first few years. Many people want your marriage to work!

September 28, 2007, 9:21 pm CDT

Hogbradford

Are you kidding, like fromthesquared said "They are married!!". You think they should just up and get a divorce why cause you disagree with there choices. She is 25 years old, she is a adult and can make her own choices. And the reason Dr Phil was so hard on the older woman younger man, is cause they are not married and she took this teenager into her home, doesn't care that her son is angry and left that its most likly hurting her other young children, and Dr Phil wants to stop it in its tracks before it does get to marriage, and making a HUGE mistake. How can you not see that.

September 29, 2007, 12:40 am CDT

Chris and Adrian's Marriage

I think they are both sadists. How much fun are they having? They put all of their energy into ammunition for the next round. Dr. Phil never did ask why Chris has tried hurting Adrian over and over again. If they can take it 24/7 then more power to them. Just don't even think about bringing a kid into a toxic environment like that!

September 29, 2007, 12:53 pm CDT

So if the older woman & younger man ( 18 is considered an adult , though it should be based on maturity ) were married its O.K ? Neither of these relationships are whats best for all 4 involved. My ex husband married a 19 year old when he was 38. Our children were 17 & 13. I cannot begin to tell you the pain those girls indured because of the age difference. She would compete with them & she would actually get jealous if thier father showed them any attention. One of the rules at their house was the girls were not allowed to show affection for their father or even sit next to him. There are many more painful stories. In the short time you have on a T.V. set there is no way to cover all the twists & turns in these type relationships. Dont have a cow, its just my opinion.

First | Prev | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | Next | Last