Message Boards

Topic : 09/24 Bishop T.D. Jakes

Number of Replies: 105
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 21, 2007, 12:14:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Is everything in your life feeling predictable and humdrum? Are you lacking excitement in your job or in your marriage? Well, Bishop T.D. Jakes, author of Reposition Yourself: Living Life Without Limits, says you have the power to create the life you want! Bishop Jakes has one of the fastest-growing mega churches in Dallas. He’s a moviemaker, playwright, Grammy winner, best-selling author, and a person who inspires Dr. Phil. Get to know Bishop Jakes as he and Dr. Phil speak with guests who are ready to reposition their lives. First up are Kelly and Bobby, who are on the verge of divorce. Kelly wants out of her marriage because she says Bobby is not providing for the family, and they’ve acquired a huge amount of debt. Is divorce the answer? Next, Hunter says he’s the most negative man on the planet, and he’s been mad for 10 years! How can he escape his rut? Then, if you own a gun and keep it in your home, Tiffany has a powerful message you don’t want to miss. Can sharing her tragic story save her from the guilt and self-blame she feels? Talk about the show here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 21, 2007, 5:53 pm CDT

09/24 Bishop T.D. Jakes

I love TD Jakes, POWERFUL teacher of the gospel......If DR. PHIL is hanging with him....you better bet he's definetly a christian...THANK YOU DR. PHIL & ROBIN . this would needs more like you....ROBIN, I READ YOUR BOOK..IT INSPIRED ME SO MUCH TO DIG DEEPER WITHIN ..I KNOW THERE IS MORE TO ME THAN I HAVE LET SHOW UP TO THIS POINT IN MY LIFE...GOD BLESS

September 22, 2007, 7:12 am CDT

Kelly and Bobby

How sad that women are choosing to leave it up their partners to earn a living.  Don't people realize that it now takes two to support a family.  Also, in today's world, it is a detriment for woman to not have outside work experience for if she suddenly finds herself on her own, then she has the struggle to find a job and even more of a detriment with no work experience behind her.  It also costs more today and even more so in raising a family.  It should be a combined effort and not left to one person to carry the stress of meeting the financial needs of a family.

September 22, 2007, 8:58 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Bishop Doctor D. Jakes Phil/Robin/T. I donot like Bishop at all but I do belive in God and Jesus Christ------

aswell. See you on Monday-Friday. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.----------------------------------------------

September 22, 2007, 9:08 am CDT

TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR HOW TO TREAT OTHERS

In general, we don't learn much about healthy communication skills and interaction techniques in school or in our culture.  The only way we learn how to communicate and interact in relationships as adults is by what we see in our homes as we are growing up. 

HOW TO TREAT OTHERS (including family members): 

1.  Be kind, think kind thoughts, and use kind words

2.  Be gentle

3.  Take turns, be fair and share

4.  Be polite

5.  Care about others

6.  Be helpful

7.  Listen attentively  

8.  Respect the thoughts and feelings of others

9.  Give encouragement 

10. Cooperate with others

10a. Set healthy boundaries and be a worthy confidant

How to get posters for your family:

www.teachchildren.com/0768213932.html  

If you grew up in a family where you had to yell to be heard or acknowledged, while your partner grew up in a family where emotional outbursts were ignored or not tolerated, your divergent communication and interaction styles are going to get in the way of your long-term healthy bonding (with your partner and others). 

Hope it helps!

September 22, 2007, 9:29 am CDT

The Four Agreements

Each person's difficulty is their own.  Their moment of epiphany that allows them to live a life of choice is an individual thing.  It may be simple or it may be complicated.  I had to publish a 500 page novel to find my direction, Arirang: The Bamboo Connection.  I realized that life is what happens when you plan for something else - and that's not all bad.  My personal choices have not always been wise and the results have often been painful, but they reflected my knowledge and circumstances at the moment.  People like Dr. Jakes have the charisma to reach people who are ready to look at their lives; however, one of my favorite books is The Four Agreements by Don Ruiz.  With four simple rules, explained in language that's relevant, a person can find a smoother path:  Be impeccable with your word.  Don't take anything personally.  Don't make assumptions.  Always do your best. Sometimes a simple mantra is all that can be managed at the moment.  For some, that mantra has spiritual overtones.  I am glad you are having a show with something uplifting.  There is so much grief in the world, a man with that smile and the charisma he generates is a welcome relief with a vision of hope.

September 22, 2007, 10:18 am CDT

Can't Wait to see the show

I love Biship Jakes and Dr. Phil. What a powerful annointing both of these men have. They are changing the world one life at a time!

September 22, 2007, 10:31 am CDT

Guns in the home

Guns in the home is a pervasive problem in our society.  Years ago, and I'm talking many years ago, every home in rural America had guns.  They were used for hunting and protecting livestock.  Children learned from an early age that guns could kill and they were to be respected.  Parents took the time to instruct children on the proper use and care of guns.  However, that is no longer the case.  Guns are glorified in the movies and on TV, kids play video games that are abhorently violent and they have no concept of the real danger that can result from playing with guns.  Weapons become a source of curiousity and tragedy is the result.  Adults must take the responsibility of securing any weapon that they own and keeping ammuntion in a separate location from those weapons.  If they can't commit to responsible behavior, they shouldn't own a gun.  And, if because of irresponsible behavior, a child is injured or injures someone else, the owner of the gun should be held accountable under the law.

September 22, 2007, 11:14 am CDT

I relate with the anger issues!

Dearest Dr. Phil and Others,

I am quite anxious to see the show on Monday because I have been angry for a very long time.  My anger I believe stems from the fact that I was hit by a car as a pedestrian and left on the side of the road like trash.  My parents and siblings have never treated me as an equal...and as a person with any intellect in her corner.  Even as I remember my years in school I would raise my hand and wouldn't be called on.  I feel like I should be heard, and in most cases listened to.  As a result of being ignored or disgarded I have very low self esteem.  I even think it is funny sometimes, when I am not listened to and people have made the opposite decisions.

I have decided to go to counseling because recently I have noticed that I get very angry when I see someone being (I hate this term) but stupid in their behavior.  I have also, felt that I could use physical harm on another person or myself.

Bottomline is that I am so looking forward to hear what Bishop Jakes and you have to say about starting anew and being content with our lives, regardless of the hands we have been dealt.

September 22, 2007, 11:50 am CDT

Earthly Salvation by the good Dr

Grins and giggles folks, This subject should be interesting. At least a different perspective on why marriages don't always end up as a mutually happy existence.  Some women/men are basically not happy with the the items on life's platter for them,(at any point in life and lasting or worsening for a decade or more), they don't agree with suggested changes and don't offer any of their own. Every marital counselor has some other crazy agenda or is seen as being attracted toward the man (who ain't no peach)or just doesn't have any remote idea of how to relate to the female.  During discussions, her view is to win the discussion and resolving the issue is secondary or remote. Every person  the male meets is injurious to my spouse and our relationship and is dumped.Second point is that I retired from the military w/some physical disabilities and since the pay is no longer in the six figures and ain't likely to see any huge improvement leaps, that issue continues to get referenced on a frequent basis.. but spending can't be adjusted  or cut back from the earlier period just because I'm not making as much, so we erode the nest egg by a margin each month. We have a decent house but the neighborhood is going into the toilet for becoming a haven for convicted child molesters(3 or more convictions) and I am moving because I just do not want to be around people of that persuasion nor do I like the idiots would support them"because they deserve another chance".  Third and last point is that I grew up around guns, have shot for military marksmanship teams and I shoot as much as I can and find it relaxing. I would guess that the likelyhood of having guns in safes isn't as popular as it could be but if one lives in a neighborhood that is (or has) tanked, security is a consideration I won't overlook and I do have a pistol at hand most of the time and always after the sun goes down. I'd guess that more people are injured by household knives than are injured by hand held firearms. I don't recall seeing statistical data publicized to any great deal and am always curious as to why not.   This can serve to fire up the discussion and thx for allowing my input.

September 22, 2007, 12:01 pm CDT

Labeled negative for being truthful

I have to handle being labeled a negative person just because I tell the truth, no matter if it's in conflict with my bosse's "rosey" but unrealistic outlook. All of the other "apple polisher's" in management tell the boss what they think he wants to hear. I'm tired of losing raises because of it but I'd rather be truthful than 3% richer.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last