Message Boards

Topic : 12/20 Cranky Kids

Number of Replies: 135
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 21, 2007, 12:19:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/26/07) Do you wish kids came with a manual? Dr. Phil shines the light on the biggest mistakes parents make, and along with Dr. Frank Lawlis, author of Mending the Broken Bond, he tells parents how to calm the atmosphere in their homes. First up, Renee says her 3-year-old son won't behave, unless her husband, Brian, is around. What do they need to do to get his behavior under control? Next, Angie, mother to three kids, says her youngest child's tantrums can last up to 30 minutes. Could Angie's guilt be contributing to her son's behavior? Then, Shannon joins Dr. Phil via Web cam to get help with her 4-year-old son, Branson, who screams, kicks, hits, bites and calls her names. What is the big mistake she makes? And, Michael, is a stay-at-home dad to 3-year-old McKenna, who throws tantrums daily. Could he be to blame for her outbursts? Plus, Suzette and Tony's 5-year-old son, Malachai, has already been kicked out of three preschools, because he hits teachers, throws toys and won't follow the rules. Find out what in-home video cameras caught on tape, and why Malachai's parents say it's "disturbing." And, see what happens when Dr. Lawlis makes a house call to Eve, whose 10-year-old daughter, Julia, tells her, "I wish you were dead." Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 4, 2007, 9:42 pm CDT

Self-Injury comment ...

Quote From: marleebob

I'm hoping that they will do a show about self injury soon
And not show it as a thing crazy people do.
Because it's a form of coping.
and I'm a  cutter and I just think that since there are so many that there should be a show about it.
In this episode he mentioned cutters because that one kid was slapping himself
I just think it would be great if he followed up on the issue.

I, too, am a self-injurer and would like to see information presented on this topic. I was very heartsick when I saw the young boy slapping himself and immediately identified that as self-injury. I hope Dr. Phil gave that family and each of the other families more help than just Dr. Lawlis's book -- they most certainly need the assistance.

So, how about tackling the topic of self-injury, Dr. Phil?

October 8, 2007, 8:05 pm CDT

cranky kids

i have 2 kids a girl 10 and a boy 8. It is my boy that is giving me grief. He has just been excluded from school meaning he now has to go to another school all this because of this behaviour. He constantly swears at me at anyone, he can be violent and so rude, has no respect for anyone or anything. I have smacked him but he just says i don't give a f**k etc etc. I am at my wits end with him. I really feel like sending him to his dads as when he goes there is doesnt do any of this behaviour. He is a different child. I AM GOING NUTS....

If anyone has any suggestions please email me on noseyt@hotmail.com

October 25, 2007, 10:18 am CDT

09/26 Cranky Kids

Quote From: yoshiyoshi

I agree completely with you. Abusing children by hitting them, is immoral. It's not discipline, it just teaches fear.

I agree but there is a difference between abuse and a judiciously applied single pop with your hand only

to the bottom or the fatty part of the leg.  Once they  hit about 3 1/2 they are past that.  I also believe igoring

them is more effective than negative attention.

October 25, 2007, 1:44 pm CDT

Attention

Quote From: ppppppp

I agree but there is a difference between abuse and a judiciously applied single pop with your hand only

to the bottom or the fatty part of the leg.  Once they  hit about 3 1/2 they are past that.  I also believe igoring

them is more effective than negative attention.

I have heard that doctors will say ignore bad behavior is the best, but I have witnessed so many times where ignored BB just elevates more and more to the point now your dealing with a child so emotionally upset that it would of been easier to deal with it the first 5 minutes then 20 minutes later. I don't know its true for everyone, I'm only talking about the cases I have seen in my family and friends, some tried both ignoring and stopping the BB right away, I agree with the stopping of the BB right away, but I'm sure that doesn't work for all.

December 13, 2007, 7:28 pm CST

respect and reasoning

As the old saying goes "Respect is not given, it is earned" and it is earned in many different ways. All that has to be decided on is wat is the "RIGHT" way. Physical disciplin only works if you want your child to have a fearful respect for you, having been exposed to it, i had respect towards my parents but turned to disrespect as i got older. i turned back into respect when i found reasoning with my parents to be more simple. Of course yelling and screaming comes in but all that takes is a moment of silence and patience to calm the loudness and tension.

Noone, especially a child, listens when being yelled and screamed at, its intimidating to anyone and no one wants to listen. Patience is the virtue and persistence really presents the results, and communication 60% is body language 30% is tone and 10% is words. It will bring a closer relation between parents and kids and respect will be earned.

December 15, 2007, 10:47 am CST

Doctor House Phil Show.

Cranky Doctor Kids Phil. Are your sons ever get cranky wwhen they were growing up? I would harley beliv-

e that myself. See you on Thursday December 20th, 2007. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---------------

December 15, 2007, 1:24 pm CST

Cranky Kids

Quote From: gailhartzell

I was a very cranky child. I would up that to being a brat. I threw fits that lasted up to 4 hours.My poor mother. I guess I drove her insane. I mean literally insane. She ended up being in a mental institution several times. I have no idea why I threw fits.I can speculate but I am not sure. I am not sure anyone knows for sure. I remember throwing fits until I was about 14 years old. Yes, I mean where I got down on the floor , kicked . screamed and yelled at everyone. After that I stopped. I have no idea why I stopped but I did. I am now 54 years old. I have suffered for years with sever depression. I wonder if that was why I threww fits. Now I take sevreal different kinds of anti depressants to help myself to feel better. It is funny because I didn't believe the medicines were working until I quit taking them. So parents do not blame yourself. Your child may be over stimulated, hungry. lonely, sick etc,

I am a great grandmother with twin grown daughters, three granddaughters and three great-granddaughters.  I have passed this advice on to my family or friends who had a problem with cranky kids who threw fits, etc.

I walked out of the room, if they followed me and continued the "fit" I turned around and walked out. again .   The wallking out worked bacause they did not have an audience.  Never did I have to walk out more than twice.  It works!

December 15, 2007, 4:11 pm CST

Oh kids

It is crazy parents give in and you have to teach them because they are only young once and you them every thing they want it doesn't woek that way so prepare for the future they have to learn no for themselves

December 16, 2007, 5:34 am CST

They have to know

Throwing a tantrun doesn't work anymore because you are bigboy/girlnow now it is time to learn to talk and get used to the idea that you can't have what you want all the time . Imean parents these days are spoiling them and that is insane

December 16, 2007, 5:41 am CST

Saying mean things to your mom

For a 10 year old who wishes her my mom was dead. Ihave something to say I lost my mom  so you  need to know you have only one mother and respect her because she brought you into this world  and you never know how much time you have left with her I know it is frustrating because I was 10 So please appreciate her while she is her and because she pays for food and clothes she works hard for you and she is prparing you for life the real worl

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last