Message Boards

Topic : 12/20 Cranky Kids

Number of Replies: 135
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 21, 2007, 12:19:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/26/07) Do you wish kids came with a manual? Dr. Phil shines the light on the biggest mistakes parents make, and along with Dr. Frank Lawlis, author of Mending the Broken Bond, he tells parents how to calm the atmosphere in their homes. First up, Renee says her 3-year-old son won't behave, unless her husband, Brian, is around. What do they need to do to get his behavior under control? Next, Angie, mother to three kids, says her youngest child's tantrums can last up to 30 minutes. Could Angie's guilt be contributing to her son's behavior? Then, Shannon joins Dr. Phil via Web cam to get help with her 4-year-old son, Branson, who screams, kicks, hits, bites and calls her names. What is the big mistake she makes? And, Michael, is a stay-at-home dad to 3-year-old McKenna, who throws tantrums daily. Could he be to blame for her outbursts? Plus, Suzette and Tony's 5-year-old son, Malachai, has already been kicked out of three preschools, because he hits teachers, throws toys and won't follow the rules. Find out what in-home video cameras caught on tape, and why Malachai's parents say it's "disturbing." And, see what happens when Dr. Lawlis makes a house call to Eve, whose 10-year-old daughter, Julia, tells her, "I wish you were dead." Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 22, 2007, 2:57 am CDT

Cranky Kids

I don't want to brag, however I raised 4 children by myself. Each one is succesful in their own right. My oldest son is a police officer, my 2nd oldest son is a supervisor for a large contracting business, my daughter is a licensed barber and my youngest son is a firefighter/paramedic.

Parents today feel their children should not be hit. I agree with that to a point. . THERE IS A  HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DISAPLINNING A CHILD and abusing them!

A smack on their behind works wonders! I did not use cruel and unsual punishment with my children, however they knew I meant business and would not stand for talking back, throwing things at me (or anyone for that manner and I would NEVER stand for a child callng me names and/or tellng me what to do!

Wake up all you parents out there.....start displinning your children and they will respect your rules!!

September 22, 2007, 8:39 am CDT

09/26 Cranky Kids

I am looking forward to Dr. Phil's next parenting show.  I have watched many of them before, and believe that children do need to be able to predict the consequences of their behavior - something he has stressed in the past.  My situation is difficult, because my son has language problems due to his having Asperger's Syndrome, a mild form of Autism Spectrum Disorder.  If Dr. Phil or any parents have tips on disciplining - behavior modification for kids Aspergers, I would be interested in reading them.   Thanks. 

September 22, 2007, 9:18 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Cranky Doctor Kids Phil. Doctor Phil I think Cranky Kids is going too far as I well as I AM concern. See-------

you on Wednesday September 26th, 2007. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------------------------

September 22, 2007, 9:52 am CDT

You get out of it what you put into it.....

Sure there are days that my children are lucky to still be breathing b/c I haven't killed them yet! However,  these days are few and far between. We all have ups and downs with parenting -- 'tis the nature of the beast. Children need boundaries. They are lost without them. How will they learn how to parent their own children if we don't teach them? One needs to lead by example, be consistent and put the child first -- this does NOT mean, however, the child rules the house. You (generally speaking) are the parent and they are the child. Once these simple things are established, kids will adjust accordingly. Parents need to trust their instincts, stay strong and be consistent! We have ONE shot to raise our kids and once it is gone, its gone....

September 22, 2007, 10:15 am CDT

Cranky kids

Quote From: karleen345

I don't want to brag, however I raised 4 children by myself. Each one is succesful in their own right. My oldest son is a police officer, my 2nd oldest son is a supervisor for a large contracting business, my daughter is a licensed barber and my youngest son is a firefighter/paramedic.

Parents today feel their children should not be hit. I agree with that to a point. . THERE IS A  HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DISAPLINNING A CHILD and abusing them!

A smack on their behind works wonders! I did not use cruel and unsual punishment with my children, however they knew I meant business and would not stand for talking back, throwing things at me (or anyone for that manner and I would NEVER stand for a child callng me names and/or tellng me what to do!

Wake up all you parents out there.....start displinning your children and they will respect your rules!!

I agree with this message.

A little spank on the behind every now and then works. Plus put them in time out.

You can also expain to them why they got a spanking or put in time out.

Parents need to let the child know they are in charge.

Parents want tobe friends with their child. You can't do that. It doesn't work.

Parents need to show tough Love to their kids. I now its hard but it can be done.!!!!

September 22, 2007, 12:06 pm CDT

Kids like that....

Children who act out, act bad, are just wild or whatever make me frustrated beyond belief! Not at them, but rather at their parents!! Children react - to their surroundings, their nutrition, their treatment, etc. My daughter is a military wife at Ft. Lewis, WA and babysits for her neighbor who just got a job. She doesn't do it for the money, she does it for the children (ages 10 months and 2 years), because she sees that the way they are going, they are going to have severe problems as they get older. The children refuse to eat - - ANYTHING. The mother says she give them bread and applesauce and the younger one gets breast milk. She doesn't leave any milk of any kind with the sitter and the child wouldn't take a bottle if it's life depends on it.  The mom says "It's ok, I'll feed him later (6-8 hours after dropoff with the sitter)." Did I mention that the mom holds the 10 month old ALWAYS - even to the point of having the BEDSIDE crib side down so she can cuddle the baby all night, while Dad sleeps on the other side of the bed and might as well be in another country. Therefore when Mom is gone,baby cries - - and has amazing stamina for it. No food, no drink, no playing, no interaction, nothing can stop him except Mom's hip. The dad even asks for my daughter's help because the mom has cut everyone out of raising these children except her and she needs HELP!

September 22, 2007, 12:41 pm CDT

opiniated grandma

Dear Dr. Phil,I really don't understand these parents today! These people are having children and without any thought about the responesibility of what this means. Today we are letting the children decided what is best for them instead of the other way around. childern really in all honesty want the parents to step up to the plate! but we as people think that we need technology to do for them what our parents did for us! Dr. Phil go hard on this one If we as a nation don't start taking back control of what we create then things are only going to get worse! Please don;t think for one minute that I am not aware of what I am saying, I myself but my on son in prison for wrong doing. You see as a parent what kind of mother would I be if I didn;t save my on son Hell he didn't know what was right at the time he didn't know is ass from a whole in the wall! I love my childern with all my heart but I also know I am their mother not their buddy! thank you so much for all you do for all of us that can't seem to get it straight. Peggy Tomlin

September 22, 2007, 2:10 pm CDT

I was a cranky child

I was a very cranky child. I would up that to being a brat. I threw fits that lasted up to 4 hours.My poor mother. I guess I drove her insane. I mean literally insane. She ended up being in a mental institution several times. I have no idea why I threw fits.I can speculate but I am not sure. I am not sure anyone knows for sure. I remember throwing fits until I was about 14 years old. Yes, I mean where I got down on the floor , kicked . screamed and yelled at everyone. After that I stopped. I have no idea why I stopped but I did. I am now 54 years old. I have suffered for years with sever depression. I wonder if that was why I threww fits. Now I take sevreal different kinds of anti depressants to help myself to feel better. It is funny because I didn't believe the medicines were working until I quit taking them. So parents do not blame yourself. Your child may be over stimulated, hungry. lonely, sick etc,

September 22, 2007, 3:20 pm CDT

opinionated grandma

Quote From: peggytomlin

Dear Dr. Phil,I really don't understand these parents today! These people are having children and without any thought about the responesibility of what this means. Today we are letting the children decided what is best for them instead of the other way around. childern really in all honesty want the parents to step up to the plate! but we as people think that we need technology to do for them what our parents did for us! Dr. Phil go hard on this one If we as a nation don't start taking back control of what we create then things are only going to get worse! Please don;t think for one minute that I am not aware of what I am saying, I myself but my on son in prison for wrong doing. You see as a parent what kind of mother would I be if I didn;t save my on son Hell he didn't know what was right at the time he didn't know is ass from a whole in the wall! I love my childern with all my heart but I also know I am their mother not their buddy! thank you so much for all you do for all of us that can't seem to get it straight. Peggy Tomlin

I am not sure how parents are going to handle their children as they get older if they cannot handle them now!  It bothers me when one parent says no and the child looks at the other parent and (she) says it is OK..what message is that sending to the child.  This child can work both of his parents really smooth; knows just what button to push.  I have often watched when Dr. Phil said things about child rearing - and I sit there and say, I did that even when everyone said I was being too harsh or they were too little to understand.  I replied, no way!  If they knew when to say "NO" to something, they were old enough to be disciplined.  I can't believe how many things I did that were right - Dr. Phil confirmed so many of these things on his show talking to parents.  If parents were stronger in there discipline, we would have more polite children.

Cammor

September 22, 2007, 3:37 pm CDT

Cranky or Something More?

Dr. Phil, 

How do you know if your child is "cranky" or if there is a real underlying problem?  At what point do you seek professional help, and beyond that, at what point do you receive psychiatric help (i.e. drugs)? Funny, if a child has a health issue you take them to a physician and medicate them as prescribed.  When your child may have a mental health issue,  we struggle with taking them to a Psychologist of Child Psychiatrist who may prescribe a drug  and then again struggle with the concept of giving the drug.  How do you know what to do in the best interest of your child?  Is there any other reference material you can recommend? Thank you!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last