Message Boards

Topic : Debt

Number of Replies: 754
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:14 am
Author : dataimport
Are you struggling with debt? Have you successfully managed your debt? Share tips and strategies with others.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 27, 2009, 7:15 am CST

How do you cancel cell phones?

Dr. Phil told a woman on his show who was unemployed that if she wasn't working, she shouldn't have a car and a cell phone. I just wanted to shout. Have you ever tried to get rid of your cell phone service? If you've signed a contract (like most of us have in order to get service), they expect you to pay until it runs out, or it gets sent to collection agencies and court. Or, you have the option of paying a giant fee to get out of the contract, but the fee I was quoted was about 85% of the rest of my contract. Regardless, I couldn't afford the fee, either, since it is due immediately but the monthly payment is so much less. Anyone have any good ideas?

March 8, 2009, 4:29 am CDT

School can wait

Quote From: redfeathers

I spend money on gas, food, and pretty much school. I was going to get another tattoo, but that's pretty much out of sight right now. That's not happening any time soon and I can't even guess when it will be. I used to buy little things here and there, like a shirt or a comic book for my boyfriend, but I haven't bought something like that in about 2 months because I'm trying to save cash.

The problem with my car is that it has a cracked head. Meaning the radiator does not hold water. Period. When it's done leaking out all the water, it starts leaking out pressure and makes a hissing sound, which leads to overheating. That is a very important part of the engine that is more expensive to fix than it would be to buy another car. My car isn't actually that old, it's just a piece of junk. *Kicks tire*

And no, I do need my cell phone. That's not being cut, sorry about that one. The thing with that is, once my car decided to stop moving...in the middle of the freeway. No one stopped to help me and I sat there for about 30 minutes waiting for my boyfriend to come help me. If I didn't have my cell phone, I might have had to spend the night on the freeway. That's why I have my cell phone. In case of emergencies like that.

I would be taking the bus to school while I saved for a car, but the problem with that is that the nearest bus stop from my house is about a 25-30 minute walk. Not to mention the busses in my city are almost always late. Sometimes by an hour or more. If I get out of a class at the college that is 45 minutes from where I work at 4:30 in the afternoon, and I have to be at work at 5, the bus won't get me there on time.

I have to buy a car from craigslist or carmax or something, because I have no credit, and can't afford cars from a carlot anyway. So I have no choice on that one either. I've been lucky to find a few good ones that have new parts and other new things put in them for about $850-$900, so I'm contacting the owners of some to see if they can take payments, because I can't give it to them all at once anyway. I'm looking into ones that don't need work on them. Believe me, there's no way in hell I'm going to buy another car like mine. The last thing I need is one that needs a bunch of work on it.

My boyfriend said that he will help me with one of my classes, and that he can wait on the extra $150. So that helps too.

If it was me, I would put school on hold for a semester or two.  It will be there when you return.  You obviously need to work more hours in order to repay the money you owe and to get another engine for your car.  By putting school on hold you can also save money for the books you'll need to buy.  And, no, you  do not need a cell phone.  Including you.  It's just a status symbol.  If your mom has to pay your cell phone bill, that's a red flag right there.  If you can't afford it,  get rid of it.  It's as simple as that.  We've all lived in the pre-cell phone era, and we've lived thru it just fine.  You can ride your bike or the bus to work and back and you'd be surprised how much money you can save. 

March 27, 2009, 8:43 am CDT

finaces

Quote From: mcodi2

If it was me, I would put school on hold for a semester or two.  It will be there when you return.  You obviously need to work more hours in order to repay the money you owe and to get another engine for your car.  By putting school on hold you can also save money for the books you'll need to buy.  And, no, you  do not need a cell phone.  Including you.  It's just a status symbol.  If your mom has to pay your cell phone bill, that's a red flag right there.  If you can't afford it,  get rid of it.  It's as simple as that.  We've all lived in the pre-cell phone era, and we've lived thru it just fine.  You can ride your bike or the bus to work and back and you'd be surprised how much money you can save. 

Well I feel that there are a lot of people that have a hard time budgeting money because they live outside of there means of income I will admit I used to but I ended up filing bankrupcy in January or I was going to lose my drivers licence.  In my opinion the best thing that was everdone was the counceling before you file and the debtor ed counceling right after i was doing most of what was in the debtor ed.

I Just had to much unsecured debt and lost almost $700 in income when my husband went to prison about 16 months ago and realized I was never going to get to the point of feeling finanially secure. But I do feel if you do what you need to and teach children the value of a dollar form the day they are born you will not have the problem when they are teenagers of them wanting things they cant have. and teach them that stores like goodwll and thrift stores or discount stores are not bad places to shop not the stores that you can not afford like macys or kohls. because I dont like even wal-mart at times because living on a $1000 dollars a month and balancing a budget for a family of 3 is not easy but can be done.

I have a savings for both of my children and give them a $1 a month and they have to put half in savings and they usuall put the other half in there piggy bank and when they get 2 or 3 dollars I take them to the store to pick out there own toy and let them give the money to the cashier and that makes them feel good.and know it cost money to buy what they want.

April 29, 2009, 12:38 pm CDT

Hope this helps....

As of Feb. 2009 me and my husband was in $26,000 and some change, at the ages of 21 and 22.. I am SO proud to say we will be OUT OF DEBT on May 15th. But how we got this way is what makes me proud. We followed Dave Ramsey and I can't swear by this man more. We sold the nice truck, the four wheeler, and stuck with the 02 trail blazer with more than 250.000 miles... Glamorous huh. I wore the same clothes I wore when I was prego and have one pair of shoes til my money is saved for new stuff. But I'm tryin to tell anyone who is scarred to take those leaps, it is SO worth it! It is temporary. And words can't describe... I wish everyone the best of luck, and if I would love to help anyone in any way I can!

First | Prev | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | Next Page | Last Page