Message Boards

Topic : Debt

Number of Replies: 754
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:14 am
Author : dataimport
Are you struggling with debt? Have you successfully managed your debt? Share tips and strategies with others.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 24, 2005, 10:36 pm CDT

Credit Card Debt

I can't stress enough--DO NOT GET INTO CREDIT CARD DEBT!!!!  It happens so quickly and so easily and, before you know it, there is no way out.  I was told that I could not pay mine off in my lifetime.  I was also told that my debt is low compared to the national average.  I have gotten myself in a terrible bind and THERE IS NO WAY OUT!  I do not believe in filing bankruptcy (although many have told me that is what I chould do).  So, is all I can say is--DON'T DO IT!!

God bless,

montana43

July 25, 2005, 4:22 am CDT

i agree!!!!

I can't stress enough--DO NOT GET INTO CREDIT CARD DEBT!!!! It happens so quickly and so easily and, before you know it, there is no way out. I was told that I could not pay mine off in my lifetime. I was also told that my debt is low compared to the national average. I have gotten myself in a terrible bind and THERE IS NO WAY OUT! I do not believe in filing bankruptcy (although many have told me that is what I chould do). So, is all I can say is--DON'T DO IT!!

God bless,

montana43

i agree with you 100%!!!  i too am in debt with cc's.  i am doing everything i can to not file

bankruptcy. 

good luck to you!!

keep your faith high!!!!!

July 25, 2005, 10:26 am CDT

Debt

I can't stress enough--DO NOT GET INTO CREDIT CARD DEBT!!!! It happens so quickly and so easily and, before you know it, there is no way out. I was told that I could not pay mine off in my lifetime. I was also told that my debt is low compared to the national average. I have gotten myself in a terrible bind and THERE IS NO WAY OUT! I do not believe in filing bankruptcy (although many have told me that is what I chould do). So, is all I can say is--DON'T DO IT!!

God bless,

montana43

I am in  credit card debt too. I lost my job and I was using my credit cards to pay my bills. I have lawyers calling me saying if I don't pay my bill they will sue me. I just tell them you will not get anything because I have nothing no job no money.

July 25, 2005, 12:12 pm CDT

Too much debt

My husband and I are in debt. The bad thing, it isn't thousands and thousands of dollars. He is off of work ill. I am laid off for another few weeks. We are just not making it. We are so far behind in monthly bills we can't catch up on "old" bills. We worry about the rent payment, the school clothes, and every other aspect. It is funny to see our friends with new HUGE boats and two nice cars... and... and... and.

We can hardly keep our heads above water, let alone thinking about the future.

:(

July 25, 2005, 3:22 pm CDT

credit cards

Quote From: enimary

I was in the same situation a couple of years ago. My husband and I divorced. When we met, I had a mortgage and everything that goes with owning a home; utilities and upkeep. Along with that there were the credit card bills, so when he left, I was back on my own again and having to pay everything again. I got behind in those bills and then when 911 happened in New York , I did something you would probably think was very stupid; I took a retirement the airline I was working for offered. Well they added 5 years to my age or to my years of services, but I took the retirement anyway. I am glad I did, because they have never offered the package again.

I needed an additional income to make up my take home pay, so I found a way to make an income from home. I was looking through my local newspaper and found an ad by a group of moms who worked from home. I answered the ad and this is what I found. I could invest a small amount into my own home business as a Marketing Executive for an International Wellness Company. I was hesitant at first and the young lady I spoke with over the phone was scheduled to visit her parents in a nearby city within a couple of weeks. During her visit she and I met for lunch with her beautiful baby girl. She re-iterated what we had talked about over the phone.

I signed all the forms to get my business started, left the restaurant where we had just had lunch and thought, did I do the right thing, I know absolutely nothing about this woman I just met, gave her a voided check and my social security number. Well leaving the parking lot, I wrote down her license number as I am very untrusting of people.

Today, I am so glad I took this chance with her because I can now look back and smile and thank God I met her. It cost me less than $100 to start, which is amazing, because other companies were wanting several hundred dollars into the thousands.

Request more information at http://me.stayinhomeandlovinit.com and a team member will contact you. The team work is awesome and I think you will be be very excited and very happy you took this step.

I told have gotten myself into major credit card debit right now and I don't know what to do or where to turn i have contacted CCCS and they won't help me cause I recently was signed up with a company that was supposed to help negotiate with my creditors I wasnt aware that the first 3 months of the money they were taking from me was going strictly towards there fee's.  Well now my payments are 5 months behind and don't know what to do.  But for you folks out there what ever you do don't do it, if you don't need to use them don;t.

July 25, 2005, 9:30 pm CDT

bankrupcy

me and my husband got into cc trouble when we were young

and ended up going bankrupt

it has been horrible ever since that day

we cannot get anything now

even tho its been around 5 years its still there

i get so sad everyday when i hear about people buying a home

i get so deppressed i cant get out of bed

i feel like a looser every day

and i worry what my children will think of us

we cannot figure out how to start makeing good credit again

we both dont make alot of money to pay back what we owe

now since we made more dept

does anyone have any advice for us

we could use it

have a nice day!

sher n dave

July 26, 2005, 8:24 am CDT

Tackling my debt

When I retired, I closed out my 401K and paid off my house, a couple of my credit cards, and purchased those things that were actually needed so that I could stop the whinning.  I even managed to get some work done on my home!

I get a pension and I do have health insurance.  For that, I'm very thankful for.  I know that I'm going to need another job and that I may have to work for the next couple of years to pay off my $18,000 of debt that I've managed to accumulate over the last few years because I was so depressed and unhappy working at a place that wasn't a healthy place to work for me and others.

But I know that it will be better but I need to face my financial fears first so I chose to read & do all the exercises in Suze Orman's book:  The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom.  One thing she asked me to do was figure out what my credit card finance charges were & I was suprized to discovered that my 6.5% rate had been raised to 11.99% - all my credit cards except for the one where I transferred my balance to had been raised!  My lowest is 10.99% now (it used to be 9.9%). 

I've been keeping track daily of my spending and having to acknowledge where my money goes to.  It's really frightening to live is such fear to not want to know when not knowing keeps me where I am - in debt.

I'm retired now and on a fixed income and yet, I know that I will get myself out of debt quickly.  Luckily, I don't need to go to a financial management company and have them work with my debtors to work out a payment plan.  I can do this on my own!  And if I can't, then well, I'll turn to them!

I'm not going to allow myself to listen to any negative self-talk that will keep me from reaching my goal.  If those folks who are $100,000 in debt are willing to sit down and bite the bullet so can I.

You know what the funny thing is - when I finally acknowledged that I've always been in debt and that working on getting out of debt was going to be hard for me because I was going to continue living in debt - no change in life style for the next few years.  However, I would have a plan in place.  I feel kinda stupid - I mean, if I've always been in debt (house, car, insurances, credit cards, loansl) then what is the big deal about stepping back, acknowledging what my fears are and then doing something about it.

Being in debt and afraid to face my fears isn't going to be a reason for my overeating any more!  There are ways to get out of debt - I just have to find the one that will work for me!

Marcia

July 26, 2005, 10:48 am CDT

NO HOPE

Hi everybody, I'm new to this. My wife and I are having debt problems to. We fell behind on some bills and now are suffering just trying to get back on our feet. We've already had our gas shut off ot our house because we're trying to pay one debt at a time but they just keep piling up and up it seems endless.

We already consolidated our debt at the bank we own a small business and my wife has a job on the side but it's still not enough It's sooo depressing.

To top it all off our 21 yo son moved back home because of drug abuse so we know have bigger problems because where we're from there is no government help. Life seems to be getting shorter at a rapid speed I could just curl up in a ball and die.

Life sucks...

July 26, 2005, 11:02 am CDT

Know The Feeling

Quote From: b_sanders

My husband and I are in debt. The bad thing, it isn't thousands and thousands of dollars. He is off of work ill. I am laid off for another few weeks. We are just not making it. We are so far behind in monthly bills we can't catch up on "old" bills. We worry about the rent payment, the school clothes, and every other aspect. It is funny to see our friends with new HUGE boats and two nice cars... and... and... and.

We can hardly keep our heads above water, let alone thinking about the future.

:(

My wife and I are in a familiar boat. Life just doesn't seem to be going our way but somewhere out there, there must be hope. We've tryed paying one debt at a time but the others keep pilling up with interest. All the best to you and your family hope there is a light at the end of your tunnel, your freinds from North of the border.

July 27, 2005, 3:19 pm CDT

Looking for help ...

Quote From: gklassen

Hi everybody, I'm new to this. My wife and I are having debt problems to. We fell behind on some bills and now are suffering just trying to get back on our feet. We've already had our gas shut off ot our house because we're trying to pay one debt at a time but they just keep piling up and up it seems endless.

We already consolidated our debt at the bank we own a small business and my wife has a job on the side but it's still not enough It's sooo depressing.

To top it all off our 21 yo son moved back home because of drug abuse so we know have bigger problems because where we're from there is no government help. Life seems to be getting shorter at a rapid speed I could just curl up in a ball and die.

Life sucks...

There are quite a few not-for-profit organizations that can help you work with your creditors.  Ask your bank for suggestions or call the local Credit Bureau or check the yellow pages or even do a search on a search engine.

I know what it's like to have back-to-back life events happening one right after the other until you feel like a nice deep dark cave would be best.  But taking the tiny little steps you need to get yourself back on track must be done.  Otherwise, you'll feel even worse than you are feeling now.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last