Message Boards

Topic : 10/11 Munchausen Mom

Number of Replies: 375
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 05, 2007, 11:28:17 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil takes a look at the unthinkable: making your own child sick to fulfill a disturbing need to get medicine, sympathy and attention. The idea might sound unimaginable, but for people with a psychological disorder called Munchausen by Proxy, it’s irresistible. First, see disturbing footage of parents caught on tape actually causing harm to their children. Then, Dr. Phil looks into the mind of one woman, Tracy, convicted of trying to harm her youngest daughter by constantly keeping her sick. Hear from Tracy's oldest daughter, Heather, who survived years of her mother’s abuse. She says her mom forced her into a wheelchair unnecessarily, took her to almost 400 medical visits, and caused her to spend over 100 days of her life in hospital beds -- needlessly. Most disturbing of all is the secret Heather revealed to police about what her mother buried in their back yard. When Dr. Phil makes a phone call to Tracy in prison, will she acknowledge the problem with her parenting? And could she be preparing to have another child? Hear Dr. Phil’s strong words for this Munchausen mom. Plus, how are Tracy’s children doing now that she is out of their lives? Note: Viewer discretion is advised. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 11, 2007, 6:14 am CDT

10/11 Munchausen Mom

Quote From: tiffany_2007

I agree that she shouldn't have any more children but the courts cant step in like that, thats the same in saying court has the right to tell someone to have a abortion or forced to have a child.
Something could be done. Men who are serial rapists and child molesters have been sterilized so that they can no longer hurt anyone. That same concept can be applied to this woman.

October 11, 2007, 6:51 am CDT

10/11 Munchausen Mom

makes no sense...the daughter found a baby alive...then the baby died in the daughters arms then the daughter buries the baby back up??? ok ...sorry even if I found a baby buried in my yard i would have been telling someone...Oh and the friend who was told by a "drunk or lying mom" wouldn't she question what this woman said no matter what...seems like a lot of ppl failed these children...

October 11, 2007, 7:03 am CDT

where is the father?

Where is the man who helped make these babies??? Did he not notice anything was wrong??

October 11, 2007, 7:04 am CDT

10/11 Munchausen Mom

Quote From: longwalker

Something could be done. Men who are serial rapists and child molesters have been sterilized so that they can no longer hurt anyone. That same concept can be applied to this woman.
i agree...she killed one of her babies.... and abused the others... she needs to be sterilzed

October 11, 2007, 7:05 am CDT

Court ordered sterilization

Quote From: lydiachris2000

I believe that this woman should be ordered to have a  hysterectomy she should not be able to have anymore children or adopt any she is very ill and i feel that the  courts should order her to have this procedure done

I agree with you. The supreme court has the authority to have this woman sterlized. She has a severe

problem and her children had to suffer due to this. There is no amount of therapy that would help Tracy because she wont admit to herself that was she did was wrong. I believe that the doctor and everyone involved should do what ever is necessary to prevent Tracy from having anymore children and her existing children need to go into therapy so they can begin to heal. Children do nothing so bad that they deserved to be abused or mistreated by any means.

October 11, 2007, 7:37 am CDT

Check out this book

I read a book about Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. It was a very powerful book based on a true story. It's called "Cruel Deception" by Gregg Olsen.

October 11, 2007, 7:41 am CDT

munchausen ex sister in law

I have an ex sister in law who has munchausen by proxy.  I have seen her fabricate and exaggerate illnesses with her three children, over medicate and have them hospitalized, ingratiate herself with health care professionals etc.  The list is so numerous it can't be listed here. 

One time a niece supposedly fell and had a concussion. My niece later told me that her mother tripped her causing her to fall and hit her head on the sink.  My niece was supposed to wear a protective helmet after the fall.  Mom made her wear it to school but not at home.  Another time mom told the school that one of the children had been beated.  Unbeknownst to mom, the school had CPS come check the child and there was no bruising.  The next day mom shows up at school with photos of the alleged bruising.  CPS was called again by the school and there was no bruising.  They questioned the child and the child said that mom was painting smiley faces on her buttocks and pointed to the makeup accidentally left in the picture.  I have seen her grab the children, point and poke at their eyes, pull their eyelashes and when their eyes turn red show the girls how red their eyes are, tell them they have pink eye, put vaseline in their eyes and make them take breathing treatments.  They have been treated for false mental disorders, ADHD, breathing difficulty, strep throat, ear infections, one time mom said the kids had SARS!  The most recent problem is treating one of her children with Depakote 500 mg for supposed difficulty sleeping.  When the children are not with her there are no signs of health problems.  I've reported these things to Protective services, the courts and they started to look at the possibility and then  mom had a Dr. write a note saying that she saw no signs of munchausen. Officials did not pursue it any further. 

I understand that it is much more tedious and involved to make a determination of this type.  No one has reviewed all past medical records looking for inconsistencies, lies and falsehoods.  I am worried about the children who have been medicated for their entire lives and have been told they are sick, have been placed in psychiatric hospitals...all the mom has to do is tell the medical professionals that the children have x x x x symptoms and the doctor naturally believes the mother.  I wish I could get real help for these children to protect them from their mother.  I am at a loss...Does anyone have any suggestions?

October 11, 2007, 7:58 am CDT

How strange

My family and I lived in the house where Tracy lived. We owned it  for five years after her and it is really sad to think that the times we were there in the yard, there was a baby buried next to the storage shed and we had no clue! It breaks my heart to think this had to happen. My prayers go out to her children. We knew Tracy when Heather was small, and had no idea this was happening. I just hope that others will learn from this, so that another child does not have to suffer.

October 11, 2007, 8:01 am CDT

I wish I knew then what I know now!!

I only heard about MSBP a few years ago when I saw a television program about it. I wish I would have know about it sooner, because I'm a nurse by profession ( not working as one now, I'm a full time SAHM) and I clearly remember a mother of 2 little boys that used to come in a doctor's office I worked at about 12 years ago. She was CONSTANTLY bringing them in the office for every little thing, always wanted antibiotics prescribed for them, no matter what. I remember her calling the office once and saying how one of them had a cough and she gave him 2 or 3 different medicines she had at home, very strong medications, and we were like , " Stop!! You're gonna kill them if you keep pumping them full of powerful medications like that."  I worked for another doctor's office after I got married, a pediatrician, for a short time and there was this one mom that brought her kids in nearly every week, those poor kids were always missing school. She insisted that one of them had a heart problem and made us do an EKG on the little boy and he wouldn't lie still during the procedure, so the results probably weren't very accurate. Anyway, it showed some minor little thing, nothing that would ever affect him or cause any sort of problem and she actually got excited!!!! She was like " See? I knew there was something wrong with him" Looking back now, since I'm more familiar with MSBP, I'm sure that's what the whole issue was.  If there actually was something wrong with your son's heart, why in the world would you be excited about that? Wouldn't you be worried? Had I know then about Munchausen's, I would have reported these cases, but I didn't know there was such a thing. It's so hard to believe that parents actually WANT their children to be sick.I'm a mother of 2 and to me there's nothing worse than your kids being sick or in pain.

October 11, 2007, 8:16 am CDT

Help Fathers and step parents know how to stop ex's with this and contact to their children

You see this in someone - you know it is happening - you are brave enough to stand up and stop it - but the county does not fully understand and recognize it - the courts take it lightly when considering for custody - because, oh yes, you are in a custody battle brought on by the person with this and more disorders. You are aware of a child she gave birth to in years past with no record of where that child is. Reporting it multiple times to children services, the court casa worker, the legal people and even begging her own doctor to report this to children services (he has the records of the live birth, yet she told them it was an error in their records) the office refused. Noone will help - she now has another child and fighting to get the one out of her custody back in her custody. At least in this area, society is blind to her stability - they just increased her time with her child. She has made no improvements. We want no harm to her, but help, although many people have outrage and hate for the ex - or the ex of your spouse - we TRULY dislike her actions, but try to extend grace to her and kindness and we at times, fail as we are human, but as many times as she calls and harasses, name calls and curses to name a few, we tolerate and give her chances to be better - to have phone time with her child, etc, we realize she has a mental illness/ brain difference and needs care for it. Although this does not and should not be permission to be alone with her children. My concern is the people who know and see these problems are people who are close to the mom, maybe to close, and when they bring it to the attention of the courts, etc. then they are accused of trying to just dig up dirt on the other person, etc. and it actually hurts their "case" and allows the mom more time alone in the end.... what do you do then - what do you do then?????? Help. please.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last