Message Boards

Topic : 10/11 Munchausen Mom

Number of Replies: 375
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 05, 2007, 11:28:17 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil takes a look at the unthinkable: making your own child sick to fulfill a disturbing need to get medicine, sympathy and attention. The idea might sound unimaginable, but for people with a psychological disorder called Munchausen by Proxy, it’s irresistible. First, see disturbing footage of parents caught on tape actually causing harm to their children. Then, Dr. Phil looks into the mind of one woman, Tracy, convicted of trying to harm her youngest daughter by constantly keeping her sick. Hear from Tracy's oldest daughter, Heather, who survived years of her mother’s abuse. She says her mom forced her into a wheelchair unnecessarily, took her to almost 400 medical visits, and caused her to spend over 100 days of her life in hospital beds -- needlessly. Most disturbing of all is the secret Heather revealed to police about what her mother buried in their back yard. When Dr. Phil makes a phone call to Tracy in prison, will she acknowledge the problem with her parenting? And could she be preparing to have another child? Hear Dr. Phil’s strong words for this Munchausen mom. Plus, how are Tracy’s children doing now that she is out of their lives? Note: Viewer discretion is advised. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 11, 2007, 8:28 am CDT

makes me sick

This woman really needs some help. She really does need to be fixed where she is not able to have anymore kids. There is no excuse for her actions.Where is the father to these children?Does he not care?

October 11, 2007, 8:45 am CDT

You Ask where is the man

Quote From: poketickle

Where is the man who helped make these babies??? Did he not notice anything was wrong??

I am a father of a child that was abused by his mother with MSBP...In doing my research into MSBP the father is there but in most situations they let the mother take care of the childrens well being...as the father is involved in the day to day activities of work and home jobs. 

My child is safe and with me now...MSBP is very hard to prove...when we were trying to prove the MSBP in my case everyone was siding with the mother right down to the Dr.'s until we confronted her in front of the doctors.  But finding a court that will do anything about it is a different story.  She was charged with 16 charges in total and it got pleaded down to two charges...she was supposed to do 6 months in the work house and 3 years probation.  Well once the child was removed from her she started having "Symptoms" couldn't do the 6 months. 

October 11, 2007, 9:00 am CDT

see another's posting

Quote From: lifesprite1

I have an ex sister in law who has munchausen by proxy.  I have seen her fabricate and exaggerate illnesses with her three children, over medicate and have them hospitalized, ingratiate herself with health care professionals etc.  The list is so numerous it can't be listed here. 

One time a niece supposedly fell and had a concussion. My niece later told me that her mother tripped her causing her to fall and hit her head on the sink.  My niece was supposed to wear a protective helmet after the fall.  Mom made her wear it to school but not at home.  Another time mom told the school that one of the children had been beated.  Unbeknownst to mom, the school had CPS come check the child and there was no bruising.  The next day mom shows up at school with photos of the alleged bruising.  CPS was called again by the school and there was no bruising.  They questioned the child and the child said that mom was painting smiley faces on her buttocks and pointed to the makeup accidentally left in the picture.  I have seen her grab the children, point and poke at their eyes, pull their eyelashes and when their eyes turn red show the girls how red their eyes are, tell them they have pink eye, put vaseline in their eyes and make them take breathing treatments.  They have been treated for false mental disorders, ADHD, breathing difficulty, strep throat, ear infections, one time mom said the kids had SARS!  The most recent problem is treating one of her children with Depakote 500 mg for supposed difficulty sleeping.  When the children are not with her there are no signs of health problems.  I've reported these things to Protective services, the courts and they started to look at the possibility and then  mom had a Dr. write a note saying that she saw no signs of munchausen. Officials did not pursue it any further. 

I understand that it is much more tedious and involved to make a determination of this type.  No one has reviewed all past medical records looking for inconsistencies, lies and falsehoods.  I am worried about the children who have been medicated for their entire lives and have been told they are sick, have been placed in psychiatric hospitals...all the mom has to do is tell the medical professionals that the children have x x x x symptoms and the doctor naturally believes the mother.  I wish I could get real help for these children to protect them from their mother.  I am at a loss...Does anyone have any suggestions?

anon sic had a response that currently is on page 3 of the boards.  The plethera of information provided there, in terms of books, gives you, ultimately, a line to the authors.  Perhaps you can reach out to them and find someone who will give you the help you need and richly deserve. What about Center for Missing and Exploited Children - they are clearly being exploited for an adult's unacceptable gratification.  I wish I knew more but this person seemed to have a wealth of sources.  Best of wishes for you and the children in your life.

October 11, 2007, 9:03 am CDT

10/11 Munchausen Mom

Quote From: lydiachris2000

I believe that this woman should be ordered to have a  hysterectomy she should not be able to have anymore children or adopt any she is very ill and i feel that the  courts should order her to have this procedure done

This topic upsets us all, makes us sick, and makes us feel hopeless and at loss of control; we just want to stop this any way we can. However, we cannot demand a hysterectomy by the courts. As women, we have fought for equality for a very long time, and we have finally made gigantic progress when it comes to gaining control over our own bodies. There is no law against alcohol use, tobacco use, or drug use for pregnant women, and no matter how wrong and destructive it is to engage in these behaviors while pregnant, they cannot be made illegal. Control over our bodies is the most basic right we all must have, and if it is taken away in some cases, it will be used in other cases as well, and soon enough, we will be back where we started with our bodies being controlled by others. Although some women do not deserve to have children (which is obviously true in this case – we all agree on that, and we would all like her to have a hysterectomy), we have to instead focus on learning more about this disease and getting information out to doctors, nurses, and the public so we can notice the early symptoms and prevent the detrimental outcomes. 

October 11, 2007, 9:06 am CDT

10/11 Munchausen Mom

My stepsister has all the signs of Munchhausen and Munchausen by proxy. We have seen this for several years and have no idea on how to go about getting this taken care of and getting her son the help he needs to just be a kid. If anyone could help, please let me know. We are in dire need of help for the boy.

October 11, 2007, 9:23 am CDT

question about this syndrome

I do not understand how people could do these things.  But I have a question.  I know someone that has/is faking brain cancer and breast cancer.  She has gone as far as to get life insurance, make out her will, things like this.   Then , on top of this, she makes a phone call a couple of weeks ago to tell her parents telling them that her daughter was molested and has an std.  All it was was an infection and no sign of being molested.  Her son was already molested a few years ago.  What is wrong with her.?What kind of people do these kinds of things?

October 11, 2007, 9:37 am CDT

Lack of family responsibility responsible!

This is such a sad topic. Just as sad is things like this are allowed to go on (and children are harmed) because FAMILY has lots its meaning. When we tossed out the importance of God, love and COMMITMENT in our relationships, our familes deteriorated. Divorce is rampant. Adultry is all too common. Single parent families are an epidemic.

Let's face facts, one parent has to work and only has so much "free" time to spend with/on her children. Many children go without nurturing, guidance, structure, discipline etc, although thankfully MANY single moms and dads do a great job (God bless them...they must be exhausted!).

Where is the other parent and the extended family members? Why aren't they around enough to see all the inconsistencies, etc? They're GONE and that's because we have devalued fatherhood and nuclear families in the U.S. Now we're simply paying the price in MANY ways...this syndrome, suicide among our kids, lousy public schools, drug use, etc.....

We reep what we sow! When will we learn? How many kids must suffer due to our adult immaturity, selfishness and irresponsiblity???

October 11, 2007, 9:58 am CDT

How do you find help?

Dear God!  My husband and I have suspected his ex-wife of MBP for about two years.  CPS finally got involved in February, but only because she had accused us of sexually abusing their two children.  The accussations were totally bogus and the Sherriff Investigator and CPS told my husband to "get a damn good lawyer and get custody of your kids".  CPS in New York (our state) then contacted CPS in Ohio (where she lives) to report that in their investigation (of us) they beleived that the mother may be suffering from MPS.  Ohio CPS did nothing.  They would not even speak to husband because the report did not come from him, it came from the case-worker in our State.  You must know that the 7 year-old had had 35 different doctors, 4 different emergency rooms, a psychologist, a speech therpaist, several visits to CPS for exams for "so-called" unfounded abuse, the list goes on, in the last two years alone.  The 4-year-old has had 42 different doctors, 4 different emergency rooms, a psychologist, several visits to CPS including 2 vaginal exams (even after a doctor testified there was no abuse and was unaware that the mother continued to pursue it), the list goes on, again over the last two years.  They have had surguries and constant medications.  The mother sends us letters with all the ailments she suspects such as lead poisoning, allergies, autism, sleeping disorders, seperation anxiety, catch scratch fever, ear infections, sinus infections, upper respitory infections, pink eye, the list is endless.  The oldest says his mother pours water in his ears.  The youngest says she wakes up at night because she thinks she's getting poked and stung by bees.  She says her mommy takes her to the doctor when she wakes up.  She talks about how her mommy doesn't like the big hospital anymore.  They literally drive one and sometimes two hours to go to different doctors and hospitals!  These kids are with us for weeks at a time and have never required medical care.  They sleep through the night.  They are happy.  It never ceases to amaze me the difference in them from day 1 (when they come to see us) to day 5.  It breaks our hearts to think what they are going through and what might be happening at their mother's.  Can someone help us?  CPS in New York can't do anything more even though they suspect it (CPS is a state run agency).  The New York Family Court could care less.  We filed for immediate custody and were basically verbally abused in the Judge's Chambers.  When we went to court the judge would't even hear the case.  He sent both parents to seperate rooms and told them to work it out.  We have no where left to go.  We feel angry, frustrated, and horrified for these children.  We feel that the court system (at least in our county) does not protect our children.  It is the most sickening feeling a person can have to sit and watch Dr.Phil's show today and wonder if your children/step-children are going though what those innocent and helpless children went through.  Please, can.....and will.....someone help us and our kids?

October 11, 2007, 10:30 am CDT

RE: need help in Ohio

Quote From: angmaryus

Dear God!  My husband and I have suspected his ex-wife of MBP for about two years.  CPS finally got involved in February, but only because she had accused us of sexually abusing their two children.  The accussations were totally bogus and the Sherriff Investigator and CPS told my husband to "get a damn good lawyer and get custody of your kids".  CPS in New York (our state) then contacted CPS in Ohio (where she lives) to report that in their investigation (of us) they beleived that the mother may be suffering from MPS.  Ohio CPS did nothing.  They would not even speak to husband because the report did not come from him, it came from the case-worker in our State.  You must know that the 7 year-old had had 35 different doctors, 4 different emergency rooms, a psychologist, a speech therpaist, several visits to CPS for exams for "so-called" unfounded abuse, the list goes on, in the last two years alone.  The 4-year-old has had 42 different doctors, 4 different emergency rooms, a psychologist, several visits to CPS including 2 vaginal exams (even after a doctor testified there was no abuse and was unaware that the mother continued to pursue it), the list goes on, again over the last two years.  They have had surguries and constant medications.  The mother sends us letters with all the ailments she suspects such as lead poisoning, allergies, autism, sleeping disorders, seperation anxiety, catch scratch fever, ear infections, sinus infections, upper respitory infections, pink eye, the list is endless.  The oldest says his mother pours water in his ears.  The youngest says she wakes up at night because she thinks she's getting poked and stung by bees.  She says her mommy takes her to the doctor when she wakes up.  She talks about how her mommy doesn't like the big hospital anymore.  They literally drive one and sometimes two hours to go to different doctors and hospitals!  These kids are with us for weeks at a time and have never required medical care.  They sleep through the night.  They are happy.  It never ceases to amaze me the difference in them from day 1 (when they come to see us) to day 5.  It breaks our hearts to think what they are going through and what might be happening at their mother's.  Can someone help us?  CPS in New York can't do anything more even though they suspect it (CPS is a state run agency).  The New York Family Court could care less.  We filed for immediate custody and were basically verbally abused in the Judge's Chambers.  When we went to court the judge would't even hear the case.  He sent both parents to seperate rooms and told them to work it out.  We have no where left to go.  We feel angry, frustrated, and horrified for these children.  We feel that the court system (at least in our county) does not protect our children.  It is the most sickening feeling a person can have to sit and watch Dr.Phil's show today and wonder if your children/step-children are going though what those innocent and helpless children went through.  Please, can.....and will.....someone help us and our kids?
What part of ohio may i ask? as my situation was in Columbus,  I may be able to refer you to a few different people mike_n_drema@yahoo.com

October 11, 2007, 11:11 am CDT

10/11 Munchausen Mom

Quote From: mr_mrc

What part of ohio may i ask? as my situation was in Columbus,  I may be able to refer you to a few different people mike_n_drema@yahoo.com

Thank you.  It's Ashland, Ohio.  It is near Mansfield.  Again, thank you.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last