Message Boards

Topic : 10/11 Munchausen Mom

Number of Replies: 375
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 05, 2007, 11:28:17 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil takes a look at the unthinkable: making your own child sick to fulfill a disturbing need to get medicine, sympathy and attention. The idea might sound unimaginable, but for people with a psychological disorder called Munchausen by Proxy, it’s irresistible. First, see disturbing footage of parents caught on tape actually causing harm to their children. Then, Dr. Phil looks into the mind of one woman, Tracy, convicted of trying to harm her youngest daughter by constantly keeping her sick. Hear from Tracy's oldest daughter, Heather, who survived years of her mother’s abuse. She says her mom forced her into a wheelchair unnecessarily, took her to almost 400 medical visits, and caused her to spend over 100 days of her life in hospital beds -- needlessly. Most disturbing of all is the secret Heather revealed to police about what her mother buried in their back yard. When Dr. Phil makes a phone call to Tracy in prison, will she acknowledge the problem with her parenting? And could she be preparing to have another child? Hear Dr. Phil’s strong words for this Munchausen mom. Plus, how are Tracy’s children doing now that she is out of their lives? Note: Viewer discretion is advised. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 11, 2007, 1:13 pm CDT

SIDS was actually Munchausen

I saw a program a while back on the man who supposedly "discovered" SIDS in a particular family.  He made a whole career out of his supposed discovery of SIDS.  Eventually it was proven that the mother in the family had killed all the children that supposedly died of SIDS.  Who knows how many SIDS deaths are actually Munchausen deaths undiscovered. 

There was a network program on this topic a while back, and they had videotape of one of these women who brought clear saran wrap into a hospital room where her baby was, and she smothered the child with the saran wrap.  Totally undetectable, no trama to the child!

October 11, 2007, 1:15 pm CDT

Today's show

People like the lady on today's show made me very angry. Some people can be so sick! I hope they keep her locked up forever. Some people don't deserve to have kids.

October 11, 2007, 1:17 pm CDT

10/11 Munchausen Mom

Quote From: longwalker

Something could be done. Men who are serial rapists and child molesters have been sterilized so that they can no longer hurt anyone. That same concept can be applied to this woman.

I remember on an old Phil Donohue show, there was a woman with Munchausen. She had gone to jail for child abuse. The court ordered her to have a tubal ligation as part of her sentence. So the courts can force a woman to go there. If it can be enforced on men, there should be no exception in these cases with women.

October 11, 2007, 1:20 pm CDT

additional info

MSBP disorder is not always about mothers with children.  It can involve any caregiver with their charge.  I am currently trying to decide what if anything I can or should do about the adult daughter of a dear friend of mine who was hospitalized (hospital/rehab/hospital/rehab/hospital/rehab) from March - July this past year.  He was truly sick but I strongly suspect his daughter was making it worse.  She is (or was, 40 years ago) a nurse and knows enough medical lingo to impress staff.  She holds his health care proxy and is very concerned about that.  I did finally write a letter to his primary care physician expressing my concern about her attempts to enforce her will as well as her refusing to get him to a health care professional to begin with.  She lives in anothere state and came to his state and stayed with him for 5 months, at his side every single day, especially during meals.  He had a number of setbacks and I am very concerned that she may have been the cause of them.  It is so obvious how much she enjoyed being back in the hospital setting--terribly disturbing.  My friend is now home, taking care of himself--much improved, finally.  The daughte has gone home.  I visit every few weeks, and talk every few days.  I live 3 hours drive away.  I'm not sure why I am even writingthis--just wondering if there is any advice out there?

Thanks,

Bah

October 11, 2007, 1:23 pm CDT

crazy parents

I am an elementary school teacher .  I actually had a mother that did this to her three children.  Last year the school nurses caught on to her and started making inquiries.  We met with the mother multiple times to try to get more evidence.  The girl came to school with a feeding tube through her nose.  It was pitiful.  The school year ended and now the girl is gone.  There is no sign of her at our school.  I think this syndrome is appalling.  I hope that there is a law created to prevent these mothers from doing this to these innocent children.

October 11, 2007, 1:25 pm CDT

NO CHILD SHOULD BE ABUSED

I have heard of munchausen by proxy but for some reason I didn't want to believe that mothers could hurt thier own children like that.  I am a young woman who can't have children. Watching this show really hurt. I would give anything in this world to be a mom. Knowing that there are women like Tracy who are having children so easily  and hurting them breaks my heart.  I hope that she get all the help  she needs, but she should be in jail for life and never allowed to have another child. My heart goes out to her children. A parents job is to protect and love, not harm and hurt.  I hope their lives are filled with love and happiness.

I think I know someone who has this.?

I have known a girl since we were neighbors in the military some 4 years ago and her children are ALWAYS SICK.  I used to tell my other friends about her children and how they are always sick with something. They get things I have never even heard of before. I noticed even herself is always comming down  with something. She was for a minute working in a doctor office until she became fired for injecting sombody with someting they were allergic to.

After watching the show todays show I really do think this girl has this terrible disease. I havent heard too much from her in a while because we reside in diff states  and honestly I try to avoid her calls because they are always so depressing!!

Forced Sterility

Quote From: pmitchem

Just because she abused her child does not mean that the government has a right to force her into any type of procedure. I don't believe that she deserves anymore, however it is like telling people to go use their money to get a procedure. If you want this done to people you pay for it.

This whole topic today is so sad. I have seen a documentary on tv. , and these people are just plain crazy!!!  And yes...she should be sterilized, and can be forced to be....at least , here in Canada, I know it can be done.  I know of a girl who has had 6 pregnancies....and none of the children were in her care. She had another baby and CPS (CAS in canada) placed that child in foster care when she got out of the hospital.  The father of the baby was given little credibility and basically had to prove he would be there for this child...CAS told her that as long as the father was there, and as long as she had her tubes tied, they would allow custody to be returned.  All is fine, dad is there, and gramma too.

In this case today., Tracy admitted to burying her newborn, and tho it can't be proven if the  child was alive or dead, they should still be able to charge her with indignities to a dead body, or something...I think also, if she gets paroled, she already has an order against her of being near children...I'm sure they can make an order that she be sterilized as well.  She CLEARLY , should never be around another child!

I'm glad the other children are doing well, and that Heather will receive much needed counselling. My heart goes out to both families, and may you all be able to put this to rest, and live a happy life. ;-)

October 11, 2007, 1:26 pm CDT

Can you fake Cancer?

I was very interested in this show because I have suspected my niece of this syndrome for many years.  We have adopted her first child and when this child was in her care, the child seemed to have several medical problems - all of which do not exist and haven't since she came to live with us 6 years ago.  Her next child seems to have several medical problems - the main one being autism.  Now - she had to take him to many doctors before she could get one to diagnose him as autistic.  His grandmother (who lives in the house with my niece and her son) did not believe there was anything wrong with this child.  Fast forward to child number three.  He was diagnosed with cancer and has undergone chemo.  I really thought she had Munchausen until the third child's diagnosis.  I cannot figure out how she could possibly fool a doctor into thinking her child has cancer.  I have tried to find information about Munchausen on the internet - case studies - but have never found one where cancer is involved - anybody have any experience?

October 11, 2007, 1:26 pm CDT

No right

Quote From: tiffany_2007

no they are not sterilized they are given a chemical to cut off there sexual drive which is even rare to happen actaully its not as common as in TV shows. They are still able to have children. We all have the right to breed that what the prochoice movement has been about the right of choice over your body.

Just because we have the right to "breed" doesn't mean that some people should. A mother that can hurt her own child should not have the option to have children. She DOES NOT deserve that right.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last