Message Boards

Topic : 10/11 Munchausen Mom

Number of Replies: 375
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 05, 2007, 11:28:17 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil takes a look at the unthinkable: making your own child sick to fulfill a disturbing need to get medicine, sympathy and attention. The idea might sound unimaginable, but for people with a psychological disorder called Munchausen by Proxy, it’s irresistible. First, see disturbing footage of parents caught on tape actually causing harm to their children. Then, Dr. Phil looks into the mind of one woman, Tracy, convicted of trying to harm her youngest daughter by constantly keeping her sick. Hear from Tracy's oldest daughter, Heather, who survived years of her mother’s abuse. She says her mom forced her into a wheelchair unnecessarily, took her to almost 400 medical visits, and caused her to spend over 100 days of her life in hospital beds -- needlessly. Most disturbing of all is the secret Heather revealed to police about what her mother buried in their back yard. When Dr. Phil makes a phone call to Tracy in prison, will she acknowledge the problem with her parenting? And could she be preparing to have another child? Hear Dr. Phil’s strong words for this Munchausen mom. Plus, how are Tracy’s children doing now that she is out of their lives? Note: Viewer discretion is advised. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 5, 2007, 1:37 pm CDT

hope

i just hope she can find away to get help

October 6, 2007, 11:44 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Moms Muchausen Phil. That what did it. I have heard Moms getting on life style but this take cake.-

See you on Thursday October 11th, 2007. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------

October 8, 2007, 2:25 pm CDT

Munchausen

I have heard of this before, never known anyone with this problem, and I have never looked into it. I hope to get some insight this is a very sad thing that does go on.

October 10, 2007, 4:13 pm CDT

SPOILER > She lived right next door

I knew Tracy and her daughter  Heather. Tracy, Heather and her mother lived right next door to us. She was very friendly but also strange. She never let Heather out to play and if she did she made her wear a helmet and knee pads and did not let her out of her sight. She told us she was sick but never would say with what. She was very vague and said it was a blood disorder. We always just  assumed that Heather had HIV and Tracy didn't want anyone to know.

**DO NOT READ THIS PART UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT WAS BURIED IN THE BACKYARD**.
Last year when the police came to the house my parents who still live there were shocked. Tracy had been arrested for abuse and Heather told the police that her mother buried a baby in the back yard. Double shocker! We had NO CLUE she was even pregnant. The police did find the remains of an infant child :(

I hope this show can help someone. Like I said, we honestly had no clue.. I wish we had known better..

Kristie

October 10, 2007, 7:20 pm CDT

10/11 Munchausen Mom

I believe that this woman should be ordered to have a  hysterectomy she should not be able to have anymore children or adopt any she is very ill and i feel that the  courts should order her to have this procedure done

October 10, 2007, 10:47 pm CDT

Munchausen

Quote From: lydiachris2000

I believe that this woman should be ordered to have a  hysterectomy she should not be able to have anymore children or adopt any she is very ill and i feel that the  courts should order her to have this procedure done
I agree that she shouldn't have any more children but the courts cant step in like that, thats the same in saying court has the right to tell someone to have a abortion or forced to have a child.

October 10, 2007, 11:14 pm CDT

I can't believe this!

I started crying like actually sobbing when I saw the preview for this show I can't even imagine what that poor baby went through if in fact what her daughter said is true and she burried that baby alive. I am still in shock I just don't under stand how anyone could hurt their baby.

October 10, 2007, 11:52 pm CDT

10/11 Munchausen Mom

Quote From: tiffany_2007

I agree that she shouldn't have any more children but the courts cant step in like that, thats the same in saying court has the right to tell someone to have a abortion or forced to have a child.
  IF SHE IS GOING TO ABUSE CHILDREN LIKE THAT THEN IT SHOULD BE , THAT SHE CAN'T HAVE ANYMORE  IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, THE Y HAVE ALREADY SAID SHE CAN'T SEE THE KIDS SHE HAS , WHY SHOULD THEY PERMIT HER TO HAVE MORE?

October 11, 2007, 12:57 am CDT

sick

This lady is crazy.  I don't see how this creep could do this to a child.  The buried baby makes me sick to my stomach.  I have a seven month old and she is the most important thing in my life.  She should be charged with more than child abuse.  People that do things like this to children make me sick.  At the beginning of the show there were clips of mothers suffocating their babies and I think that the mothers that do that should go to jail, and those children should be put in foster homes.  It makes me sad that it is so hard to adopt a child or for some women to get pregnant but this psycho was given four beautiful children and abused  three of them and buried one child alive.  I don't see how anyone could do that and still go on living.  And know she wants to have another one.  She outrages me. I am very sad that when heather came home she found her mother burying her sister alive. I don't think that people that murder people when sane should stay in prison. I hate knowing that a person who murdered some one and them knowing what they are doing during the act are eating three meals a day have a warm cell to sleep.  Tracy  has no emotion about what she has done.     I am happy that the living children have loving homes. 

October 11, 2007, 5:43 am CDT

CRUELTY - MANIPULATIONS - HATRED - RAGE - REVENGE

Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is a psychological disorder characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal relationships, self-image, and behavior.  This instability often disrupts family and work life, long-term planning, and the individual's sense of self-identity. 

While less known than schizophrenia or bipolar disorder (manic-depressive illness), BPD is more common, affecting 2% of adults (1-33), mostly females.  Some of my favorite books that provide a great introduction and insight are:

Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward OR Why is it Always About You?  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss

Sickened:  The Memoir of a Munchausen by Proxy Childhood by Julie Gregory OR The Psychology of Female Violence:  Crimes Against the Body by Anna Motz MAYBE Whatever Mother Says by Wensley Clarkson

Understanding the Borderline (Parent) Mother:  Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable and Volatile Relationship by Christine Ann Lawson 

Stop Walking on Eggshells:  Taking Your Life Back...by Paul Mason and Randi Kreger OR Surviving a Borderline Parent:  How to Heal Your Childhood Wounds & Build Trust, Boundaries and Self-Esteem by Kimberlee Roth and Freda Friedman

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm 

Some of the story is typical:  early family conflicts, abusive relationships, feelings of insecurity contributing to destructive behaviors such as cruelty, manipulations, rage attacks, revenge, promiscuity, addictions, self-abuse, and eating disorders.  The extreme behaviors of BPD constitute the high drama in the stories of those who endure its ravages.

There are relationships, marriages and families that are so destructive the only option is for a person to get out.  Get out with the little bit of sanity you may have remaining.  As painful as it may be, make a promise to yourself to leave.  Leave so you can begin a life of healing and recovery.  Leave so you can learn how to live a joyful, peaceful, supportive and fulfilling life.

Hope it helps!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last