Message Boards

Topic : Living on One Income

Number of Replies: 385
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:37 am
Author : dataimport
Whether you're a stay-at-home mom, single, separated or unemployed, living on one income can be quite a challenge. Share your tips and advice with others trying to make ends meet.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 22, 2009, 11:16 pm CST

Living on One Income

Quote From: ladyshivia

Im a mother of two kids 8 year girl and 12 year old boy and a wonderful gift of a baby boy on the way thats a blessing. due this coming March. 

Im frustrated that there are NO jobs and i mean nooo jobs in Iowa where I live that will not hirer me due to there so called standards. Which im told more like Discrimination than anything. 

I get interviews and they say 'Oh I'd love to hirer you right now you have everything we are looking for and you could start right away .....but.. im sorry we just can't work around the school hours for your kids. we have set hours only.' What abunch of blank. I havent had a job in like can't really remember when,   a few years.  

A few years ago my hubby thought its be a good ideal to take a home cource in Medical Claims Billing and therefor I did and I passed and have my Diplomia. my finail grade was 96%. They (At-Home-Profession Located in Dever Co) told me i could work at home for a local company working on Medical Claims Billing if i have Internet. Well Dsl is not out in the country. not one Medical Claims Company will hirer me even though i have proof and training they closed there doors and beside no company is going to trust any person to work on medical claims at home. So we was burnt out of $3,000.00 for something that was faulty. ( i have dail up if lucky ) 

Back in the 98 I had paid $30. to get a listing of work at home companys. Well it came and it was just a book called The Complete Guide To Home Based Employment . all it was is a book with home jobs and only gave half the information and alot of P.O. box for the companys address. and if you was interested in one ya had to send a letter for additional information to get started and send a self address. or to get free informtion. I tryed one for beeded earring i made the five they wanted send it back and they got rejected cuz they didnt meet there SO called Standards.  

There's got to be Some kind of company  where I can work at home making some type of crafts and using the u p s for shipping (u p s passes my house everyday on the gravel road) 

Ive looked online for them and I also see that not one of them is Redistared with the BBB therefor every one is faulty. 

I have great anger building inside cuz i want to help my hubby with the bills and everything else. My hubby is stressed out due to working two Jobs. Even though he'll say otherwise. where now he has a Skin rash caused by stressed, (is what the doc said) His first job is sales and works from 7am until 5pm the comes home eats dinner quickly, Then poof  he's off  to his part time job at an auto store for another 4-5 hours at night. He says hes not burnt out but I can see he is. The part time job is maybe a few nights and mostly every weekend. 

He told my father that he would rather work two jobs instead of having me go to work. I think that is very loving and carring,  

Is there really a thing called Work at home jobs. ?  To make money or something? Or is that just a saying as in work at home mother who cleans the house and cooks. Yippy.  

Please Let me know I would really like to hear from others about this. 

I'm 42 years old on Disability s.s., I lost my wife , house , car , son, and my self respect .Because of the stress of no job and only less than a quarter of the income . I left N.Y. and moved to N.C. to be near my son . I have no car no friends and about to be homeless,I cant afford my medical bills and the demands of renting and affording a car to get to the doctors                                                                                                    What do ya do to make things better, what corners do you cut they are already gone. TV gives advice for people that have choices to cut this or that or get a part time job, but never hear about the ones that fall between the cracks . Always thought ahead but now , I loose my breath and start to shake and panic.           I always believed work hard and you will succeed instead my body broke down ,and now forgotten

April 7, 2009, 12:02 pm CDT

Living on one income?

Quote From: doogie066

I'm 42 years old on Disability s.s., I lost my wife , house , car , son, and my self respect .Because of the stress of no job and only less than a quarter of the income . I left N.Y. and moved to N.C. to be near my son . I have no car no friends and about to be homeless,I cant afford my medical bills and the demands of renting and affording a car to get to the doctors                                                                                                    What do ya do to make things better, what corners do you cut they are already gone. TV gives advice for people that have choices to cut this or that or get a part time job, but never hear about the ones that fall between the cracks . Always thought ahead but now , I loose my breath and start to shake and panic.           I always believed work hard and you will succeed instead my body broke down ,and now forgotten

Dear Sir, -42 - Disability & S.S.-  I am so sorry for all of your losses. You said that you moved to be near your son and you lost him too? It's a tragic a situation that you're in. Do they have any shelters for the disabled, homeless, etc. and resources for jobs for the disabled etc? There has to be something available to you! I wish you all the best-geez you've been through so much! Don't give up! Take care, doors will open.

Im ok in DE

April 29, 2009, 3:58 pm CDT

Bairly Scraping By

My Mom is ill and has been for a year.  She cannnot work so I have to pay for everything.  I am on disability myself.  With 26 illnesses what is a person suppost to do?  We just have to stick with the basics and make things last longer.  I love my Mom and many years ago she took care of me when my bipolar was rageing when I was in and out of the mental hospitals.  This is just a way to pay back the caring & love she gave to me when I was sick.

July 9, 2009, 12:53 pm CDT

MOM'S DISABILITY DENIED: frustrated out of my mind

We are living on my disability.  My Mom on Monday just got denied disability.  We are barely scraping by.  She is going to appeal.  It is just it is all on me.  My mom keeps on saying bad things about herself because she cannot help me.  She is depressed because she can't work but the social security office says she can.  I try to remind her that at one time she took care of me when I was sick with my mental illnesses but that don't help.  She is in a horrible spot.  I am in a horrible spot too becasue she is a good woman she just cannot work but yet she knocks herself down.  Payback for all those years I did that to her.  I pray to God that the appeal goes and says yes instead of no.  God help them say yes.

Thanks for listening for me complaining, moanig and groneing.

August 22, 2009, 10:32 pm CDT

cant live with just one income

Quote From: pitterpat

how do you manage?
I think based on experience, its hard to depend on just on income. i cant live with just one income...! surely we need to diversify and create alternative source. In other word multiple streams..!

First | Prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | Next Page | Last Page