Message Boards

Topic : Career Goals

Number of Replies: 360
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:24 am
Author : dataimport
Are you stuck in a dead-end job, or do you feel you are on the career path of your dreams? Talk about how to set - and achieve - your goals!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 8, 2005, 5:24 pm CDT

Why are you such

Quote From: barbie_

Just needing to let off a little steam:

I have a highschool diploma. I've done college, TWICE. I recently graduated from a medical program with honours. However, I cannot seem to be able to get a decent job!! It's so hard to get a job in the hospital. My cousin did the medical course with me. He has next to no education (he didn't even finish highschool), HOWEVER, he got an interview for a job with a hospital, but I, someone who has highschool and college education, cannot even get an interview!!!!  My friends all have decent jobs, and most of them never did college. Why is it that the ones who never went onto higher education have the good jobs, and I'm stuck bussing tables!

I'm only 21, and I plan on going back to school in January to get even more education. It's just so depressing. I hate my job. Well, I dont HATE it. It's a nice job to hold for someone my age and thats going to school; but I only make about $400 a month!! I'm also sick and tired of being scheduled in to work EVERY single weekend, including this thanksgiving weekend, I have to work a 10 hour shift, plus I'm closing every day and I won't be able to be with my family on thanksgiving!  I havn't been able to spend time with my friends in months, since they work during the week, and have the weekends off...but I work during the week, and all weekend.

I'm contemplating qutting my job, as I see no point in working there anymore: I only make just enough money for gas to get me to work, I have been working there since June and I still havn't been able to buy ONE thing for myself besides gas! Whats the point of working if all you can afford is gas to get to work?!? I work my butt off, and I still make nothing. I miss my friends. It's starting to depress me! Just needed to let that out!

a complainer!!!  Apparantely college has done nonething for you except make you a grumbler. 

Now about your employment problem.  I think I know why.  You are I have a feeling highly educated.  Get down off your high horse and be willing to learn.  You must think that you are entitled to a 9 to 5 Monday thru Friday with the weekends off, and everybody else must work around you.  Well nowadays businesses operate almost around the clock and that means You are going to have to fill in when and where needed. 

Why you can't get an interview - I sense that you have AN attitude - and no employer wants AN attitude - trust me,  I have been in the work force for over 30 years, and I would not want to deal with a co-worker like that. 

October 9, 2005, 3:10 am CDT

Enough education already!

I have spent the last three years going to school to become a nurse.  I finally finished this past April and have discovered a new underlying fear.  I had worked in the medical field for five years prior to going back to school, I have two great boys the oldest of which I recently had to let go in order for him to attend college  away from home.  He is doing wonderfully and was able to accomplish this through an academic scholarship and being scouted for the football team.  My youngest has just started the 7th grade and while middle school is challenging for anybody, he seems to be doing well. So, that all being said, I now have to address my own issues.  My husband is disabled and has been since 2001, this was an incredibly difficult adjustment for our whole family, loss of income, I was forced to quit my job in order to care for him and the children, etc,. consequently, I felt that by returning to school I would increase my earning power so that we can at least live at the poverty level instead of below it.  The problem I'm facing now is that I am afraid to return to work.  The thought of having the incredible responsibility of people's lives in my hands has become overwhelming,  I get panic/anxiety attacks every time I think about going out and applying for a job now.  I can't figure out why.  I never felt this way before.  I did well in school, my boys are doing great, my husband is to a point where he is able to at least take care of his own basic needs now, not to mention the fact that we DESPERATELY need the money. I'm hoping and praying that someone can help me get past this fear of leaving my family and returning to not only work, but a job that requires me to be accountable for a broader range of very important responsibilities that I have never had to be responsible for in my past work history.  Thanks so much in advance.

October 9, 2005, 12:48 pm CDT

Career Goals

Quote From: renagade

a complainer!!!  Apparantely college has done nonething for you except make you a grumbler. 

Now about your employment problem.  I think I know why.  You are I have a feeling highly educated.  Get down off your high horse and be willing to learn.  You must think that you are entitled to a 9 to 5 Monday thru Friday with the weekends off, and everybody else must work around you.  Well nowadays businesses operate almost around the clock and that means You are going to have to fill in when and where needed. 

Why you can't get an interview - I sense that you have AN attitude - and no employer wants AN attitude - trust me,  I have been in the work force for over 30 years, and I would not want to deal with a co-worker like that. 

First of all, I actually don't have an attitude, but I am going to come across as I have one, because people like you, who know NOTHING about my situation and act like they do and seem to think they need to put me in my place, really piss me off. Aside from my gripes about work, I'm actually a very upbeat person, I don't have a negative attitude. I sometimes forget that employers have some sort of  ESP and can sense my non existant bitter attitude through some words typed up on paper.  And maybe if you knew about the field I'm trying to get a job in, you'd know it's not because of an "attitude" that I can't get hired, but because when a job offer comes along for this department in this hospital, they first have to offer the job to someone who already works in the hospital, and if no one wants it, THEN they offer the position to people who don't work in the hospital yet. Thats why it's so hard for me to get a job in the hospital. 

Forgive me for being upset that I have all this education, and nothing to show for it.  Forgive me for being upset that I have to work till midnight, everyday on a holiday weekend when I'd like to spend with my family that I won't be able to see because I will be working for a measley $7.00 an hour. Forgive me for wanting to have just one weekend off to be able to spend time with my  friends and family. I don't mind working the weekends, I have a problem with working EVERY weekend. And maybe, if they offered more than $7/hour I would love to work on the weekends. I worked very hard through school, I studied my butt off to get the grades I did so I could get a good job. I don't think people have to work around me, so don't be making assumptions about people you don't know. I don't think I'm "entitled" to a 9 - 5 job, monday - friday. However, I think that with all the education and hard work I've put in, I deserve more than7 dollars an hour. I didn't work my ass off to be bussing tables for 7 dollars an hour without ever having one weekend off, while people who slacked off during highschool, barley passing, and never went onto higher education, are making twice as much as me and have the weekends off, every weekend.

So forgive me for not being insanley happy, jumping for joy because I get to work all holiday weekend, I can't go to my family dinner with relatives I rarely ever get to see. Forgive me for not having tears of joy streaming down my face because my paycheque only allows me just enough money to be able to get to and from work, and I havn't been able to buy one single thing for myself. Forgive me feeling a little down in the dumps lately because I havn't been able to see my friends in months. People do get lonely you know? That doesn't make them a horrible person.

So YOU get off YOUR highhorse and stop making assumptions about someone you don't even know. And stop acting like you're all high and mighty and never complain about work.  And believe me, I'm not complaining without trying to change the situation. I'm out looking for a new job every single time I have a day off.

October 9, 2005, 9:18 pm CDT

No I don't know

First of all, I actually don't have an attitude, but I am going to come across as I have one, because people like you, who know NOTHING about my situation and act like they do and seem to think they need to put me in my place, really piss me off. Aside from my gripes about work, I'm actually a very upbeat person, I don't have a negative attitude. I sometimes forget that employers have some sort of  ESP and can sense my non existant bitter attitude through some words typed up on paper.  And maybe if you knew about the field I'm trying to get a job in, you'd know it's not because of an "attitude" that I can't get hired, but because when a job offer comes along for this department in this hospital, they first have to offer the job to someone who already works in the hospital, and if no one wants it, THEN they offer the position to people who don't work in the hospital yet. Thats why it's so hard for me to get a job in the hospital. 

Forgive me for being upset that I have all this education, and nothing to show for it.  Forgive me for being upset that I have to work till midnight, everyday on a holiday weekend when I'd like to spend with my family that I won't be able to see because I will be working for a measley $7.00 an hour. Forgive me for wanting to have just one weekend off to be able to spend time with my  friends and family. I don't mind working the weekends, I have a problem with working EVERY weekend. And maybe, if they offered more than $7/hour I would love to work on the weekends. I worked very hard through school, I studied my butt off to get the grades I did so I could get a good job. I don't think people have to work around me, so don't be making assumptions about people you don't know. I don't think I'm "entitled" to a 9 - 5 job, monday - friday. However, I think that with all the education and hard work I've put in, I deserve more than7 dollars an hour. I didn't work my ass off to be bussing tables for 7 dollars an hour without ever having one weekend off, while people who slacked off during highschool, barley passing, and never went onto higher education, are making twice as much as me and have the weekends off, every weekend.

So forgive me for not being insanley happy, jumping for joy because I get to work all holiday weekend, I can't go to my family dinner with relatives I rarely ever get to see. Forgive me for not having tears of joy streaming down my face because my paycheque only allows me just enough money to be able to get to and from work, and I havn't been able to buy one single thing for myself. Forgive me feeling a little down in the dumps lately because I havn't been able to see my friends in months. People do get lonely you know? That doesn't make them a horrible person.

So YOU get off YOUR highhorse and stop making assumptions about someone you don't even know. And stop acting like you're all high and mighty and never complain about work.  And believe me, I'm not complaining without trying to change the situation. I'm out looking for a new job every single time I have a day off.

you, but on the other hand, I have met you many, many times.  At one time I had two jobs, it was mandatory.  On this second job - there was this co-worker who did not like to work hard - and one nite - we were really busy - he just walked out.  So what happened, I just did his job and made sure my position was covered by another competent co-worker.  I believe it's called 'Responsibility'. 

I don't know how old you are and I am only one person, but thers's a lot of growing up to do.  I had to,  I survived.  As far as the low wage:  We all have to start somewhere, I did, and I know you will too. 

October 10, 2005, 8:43 am CDT

Career Goals

you, but on the other hand, I have met you many, many times.  At one time I had two jobs, it was mandatory.  On this second job - there was this co-worker who did not like to work hard - and one nite - we were really busy - he just walked out.  So what happened, I just did his job and made sure my position was covered by another competent co-worker.  I believe it's called 'Responsibility'. 

I don't know how old you are and I am only one person, but thers's a lot of growing up to do.  I had to,  I survived.  As far as the low wage:  We all have to start somewhere, I did, and I know you will too. 

again, you're making assumptions about me. At least, thats the way you're message is coming across. Who said I don't like to work hard? I'll have you know that I  bust my ass off at my job. I pick up other peoples slack, the people who stand around and do NOTHING. And believe me, resturants get insanely busy on the weekends, and I do nothing but run around picking up other peoples slack. I help out my co-workers when they need a hand cause they're very busy as well. My managers have told me countless times how much they like the work I'm doing, and I'm already being promoted.  So do not tell me you've met people like me many times, then go onto mention all the lazy people you've worked with.  If I didn't like to work hard, I wouldn't have studied my butt off throughout highschool. I wouldn't have done college twice, as well as a MEDICAL COURSE, which requires insane amounts of hard work and discipline, and graduate at 90% because I studied for 6 hours a day, every day. Is that what you would call lazy and irresponsible? If I didn't like to work hard, I wouldn't be going back to school to recieve my BA in the school of social work because as it stands right now, I may never get into the HOSPITAL (the field of work that is my #1 choice, a job that requires HARD WORK), and I don't want to spend my life working for 7 dollars an hour, so I want to push myself even further, get even more education, and WORK HARD at school again.

And yes, you're right, we all start somewhere. I realize that. But god forbid I post on a message board to air my griefs about work (like we ALL do), and then to have some stranger accuse me of being lazy, and not willing to work hard because I said I don't like my job that pays me nothing and that I miss my friends and family because I'm stuck working EVERY single weekend.

October 10, 2005, 4:44 pm CDT

Have I done the right thing?

Hi 

Well I have to be the most unorganised person I know. And more than a bit easliy persuaded. So last time I posted a message I had a clear goal in mind. I still have a clear goal, I am just taking a different path. I still really want to join the police force, but I have also just gotten in to a home based business. (I think that it is the perfect solution due to our lifestyle). 

Anyway, sometimes I am feeling like I have bitten off more than I can chew. I have a mentor who has been really successful in doing what we do, but sometimes I am feeling like a fish on a hook, being pulled along at an alarming rate of knots. And other times I feel like I am drifting aimlessly. 

I know that what ever happens everything is my choice and my RESPONSIBILITY, but I just feel like I know nothing and I can't seem to get enough information to get me going, only to look back and realise that I have gone a really long way from where I started. 

Other than the confusion it has been great. I work around the time that I have available to me and more often than not I find time I didn't even know I had. And when we move in December, I pick up my business and take it with me. No hassle relocating. And another thing is it is getting me out of my comfort zone, which I am sure the police force is going to do:0) 

Take care all 

Nat 

October 10, 2005, 9:33 pm CDT

Hi Nat - Me again

Quote From: bigred80

Hi 

Well I have to be the most unorganised person I know. And more than a bit easliy persuaded. So last time I posted a message I had a clear goal in mind. I still have a clear goal, I am just taking a different path. I still really want to join the police force, but I have also just gotten in to a home based business. (I think that it is the perfect solution due to our lifestyle). 

Anyway, sometimes I am feeling like I have bitten off more than I can chew. I have a mentor who has been really successful in doing what we do, but sometimes I am feeling like a fish on a hook, being pulled along at an alarming rate of knots. And other times I feel like I am drifting aimlessly. 

I know that what ever happens everything is my choice and my RESPONSIBILITY, but I just feel like I know nothing and I can't seem to get enough information to get me going, only to look back and realise that I have gone a really long way from where I started. 

Other than the confusion it has been great. I work around the time that I have available to me and more often than not I find time I didn't even know I had. And when we move in December, I pick up my business and take it with me. No hassle relocating. And another thing is it is getting me out of my comfort zone, which I am sure the police force is going to do:0) 

Take care all 

Nat 

The tone of your post sounds like your down - do you really let life get to you that much, come on now!!!. 

I have a feeling you have gotten into a multilevel marketing business.  I was in one twice - they are not for everybody.  The very things you are saying is the very things I have heard others say - yes some are going to be successful.  With me - the reason I left the first time was because they told me that 'if you don't want to be in this 25 hours a day 8 days a week - you are not going to make it and (and although they didn't say it - they meant that they didn't want me or people like me), because I had the audacity to say that I enjoyed my Saturdays off. 

If you feel that your drifting - then I feel that that is telling you that either this business or multilevel marketing is not for you.  Successful people have fun in what they do - you ain't having fun.  I sure hope ya didn't spend too much to get in. 

Nat - listen to what your saying.  If you are asking - well what's the difference between a multilevel 

business and a restrauant that you were talking about - Plenty.  You gave me the impression that a restrauant was like a second skin to a degree.  you also gave the impression that althou you would be 'scared' you were willing to give it a go - because you would be in charge and you wouldn't feel like a 'fish on a hook'. 

Are You afraid to get out of your comfort zone? 

Rog 

October 10, 2005, 9:41 pm CDT

Barbie

again, you're making assumptions about me. At least, thats the way you're message is coming across. Who said I don't like to work hard? I'll have you know that I  bust my ass off at my job. I pick up other peoples slack, the people who stand around and do NOTHING. And believe me, resturants get insanely busy on the weekends, and I do nothing but run around picking up other peoples slack. I help out my co-workers when they need a hand cause they're very busy as well. My managers have told me countless times how much they like the work I'm doing, and I'm already being promoted.  So do not tell me you've met people like me many times, then go onto mention all the lazy people you've worked with.  If I didn't like to work hard, I wouldn't have studied my butt off throughout highschool. I wouldn't have done college twice, as well as a MEDICAL COURSE, which requires insane amounts of hard work and discipline, and graduate at 90% because I studied for 6 hours a day, every day. Is that what you would call lazy and irresponsible? If I didn't like to work hard, I wouldn't be going back to school to recieve my BA in the school of social work because as it stands right now, I may never get into the HOSPITAL (the field of work that is my #1 choice, a job that requires HARD WORK), and I don't want to spend my life working for 7 dollars an hour, so I want to push myself even further, get even more education, and WORK HARD at school again.

And yes, you're right, we all start somewhere. I realize that. But god forbid I post on a message board to air my griefs about work (like we ALL do), and then to have some stranger accuse me of being lazy, and not willing to work hard because I said I don't like my job that pays me nothing and that I miss my friends and family because I'm stuck working EVERY single weekend.

The reason I said what I said was because you came accross as a complainer, and lazy - especially when you gave the impression that you would rather be with your friends than working.  I also like to be with people too.  You been promoted - great - shows that you know what your doing.  Now that you have said more, ok we share a common element - restrauants -.   

I also hear you that you don't want to work forever for 7 an hour - well then do something about it WITHOUT complaining.  By your getting into the 90% - it shows you have intelligence - now you your 

Intelligence to get yourself further and stop complaining about your lot in life.  Please. 

Rog 

October 11, 2005, 4:50 pm CDT

How do you do it?

The tone of your post sounds like your down - do you really let life get to you that much, come on now!!!. 

I have a feeling you have gotten into a multilevel marketing business.  I was in one twice - they are not for everybody.  The very things you are saying is the very things I have heard others say - yes some are going to be successful.  With me - the reason I left the first time was because they told me that 'if you don't want to be in this 25 hours a day 8 days a week - you are not going to make it and (and although they didn't say it - they meant that they didn't want me or people like me), because I had the audacity to say that I enjoyed my Saturdays off. 

If you feel that your drifting - then I feel that that is telling you that either this business or multilevel marketing is not for you.  Successful people have fun in what they do - you ain't having fun.  I sure hope ya didn't spend too much to get in. 

Nat - listen to what your saying.  If you are asking - well what's the difference between a multilevel 

business and a restrauant that you were talking about - Plenty.  You gave me the impression that a restrauant was like a second skin to a degree.  you also gave the impression that althou you would be 'scared' you were willing to give it a go - because you would be in charge and you wouldn't feel like a 'fish on a hook'. 

Are You afraid to get out of your comfort zone? 

Rog 

You are right about what is going on.  Yes it is a multilevel marketing business. And yes I was being told to do things that I didn't want to do. After I read your message I thought about why I was doing it in the first place and somehow I lost sight of my personal what and why. 

I started the business to get a discount on the products that I am using that are helping me to get my weight down so I can join the police force. I was happy to learn about the business and to see what happens, if I made money out of it, great! If I didn't, I am still getting what I wanted for a discount. 

But then I realized that I was doing the business and everything else was put on hold. It was only until last night that I realized that I had TOTALLY forgotten about the police force. Meaning I hadn't been thinking about my career goals in nearly a month. Something that I had previously been doing on a daily basis to stay focused and assess what I was doing to get where I was going. 

I can't believe how manipulated I had let myself become. 

So am I doing the right thing? YES! I want to stay with the business, I want to stay on the products, but I am going to do it my way. The people that I am learning from will have to know that I am in charge of my own life and I am the one to set the boundaries and change them at my own discretion. That is for me and only me to decide. 

Thank you once again for your much needed and amazing insight. 

Nat 

October 11, 2005, 9:16 pm CDT

Natalie I'm Proud of You

Quote From: bigred80

You are right about what is going on.  Yes it is a multilevel marketing business. And yes I was being told to do things that I didn't want to do. After I read your message I thought about why I was doing it in the first place and somehow I lost sight of my personal what and why. 

I started the business to get a discount on the products that I am using that are helping me to get my weight down so I can join the police force. I was happy to learn about the business and to see what happens, if I made money out of it, great! If I didn't, I am still getting what I wanted for a discount. 

But then I realized that I was doing the business and everything else was put on hold. It was only until last night that I realized that I had TOTALLY forgotten about the police force. Meaning I hadn't been thinking about my career goals in nearly a month. Something that I had previously been doing on a daily basis to stay focused and assess what I was doing to get where I was going. 

I can't believe how manipulated I had let myself become. 

So am I doing the right thing? YES! I want to stay with the business, I want to stay on the products, but I am going to do it my way. The people that I am learning from will have to know that I am in charge of my own life and I am the one to set the boundaries and change them at my own discretion. That is for me and only me to decide. 

Thank you once again for your much needed and amazing insight. 

Nat 

Make sure you tell your husband what an amazing Woman and Wife he has. 

You may not know it but your not a Business Woman anymore - What you are now is an Entreprenour.  How do I know this.  Because you said 'I am going to do it my way', and 'the people teaching me will have to know that I am in charge of my own life'.  Business people don't say this, but Entreprenours do.  Be cautioned that you are going to get flack because your not going to be a good widdle girl and bow down to others - But just keep Yourself Focused and I can't stress this enough. 

One of the centers about MLMs is to sponsor, sponsor, sponsor and sell a little product on the side. 

Here's what to do.  First use the products yourself as you are doing - then learn all about the products and the company - you must have a firm foundation - If this takes 3 months fine, if it takes 6 months so be it.  As you are learning you yourself as a testamonial and sell as much as you can without being pushy and don't look to sponsor a soul unless you feel that they really want to do the business. 

How do I do it - if you would give me your email address and I'll tell you and give you pointers. 

Sicem Tiger. 

Rog  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last