Message Boards

Topic : 06/10 Deadly Kids

Number of Replies: 247
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 12, 2007, 02:54:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/18/07) What if you feared your own child? Dr. Phil's guests say they worry that one day they may die at the hands of their offspring. Steven and Tori say Steven's 9-year-old son, Donovan, poisoned his siblings and then laced Tori's drink with aquarium cleaner. They say he laughed after his family members went to the hospital and has not shown remorse for his sinister acts. He's now in a treatment facility, but should Tori and Steven allow him back into their home once he's released? Then, Susie narrowly escaped death after her stepson tried to brutally kill her with a gun and then a knife. He's now behind bars, so why does she fear he will try to finish the job? And, Carrie and Lance fear their son, Michael, will be the next shocking murder headline. They say he threatened to cut his teacher's eyes out with a knife and kill his younger sister. When Michael becomes enraged, Carrie locks herself in the bedroom for fear of what he might do. Find out what Dr. Phil cameras caught on tape while at Carrie and Lance's house. And, why do the parents feel their son's behavior is influencing their daughter? What does Dr. Phil think is at the root of Michael's rage? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 13, 2007, 8:02 am CDT

just a child

He is just a child it is obvious that this child needs help with maybe medicine and intense theapy. Pet theapy wouldn't hurt either so that he can be responcible to take care of something he loves and he should be able to pick out himself, and get unconditional love back.  We don't treat the diagnose we should treat the symtoms.  A battery of test should be run and look at the enviroment as well.  The child for the houses safty as well as his own should not just go right back into the home and maybe the family should all be apart of his theapy and go to the place he is at first. Some one on one with each member first then a family theapy sessions as well. He obviously has some deep seeded things going on.  When he does go home theapy should diffenitly continue in the home as well on a daily basis. Art theapy, pet theapy, and intense theapy.  He needs to feel normal and do things that other children do his own age and have hobbies and get involved in sports eventually.. The negative behavior can not be placed too much acknowlegment  on, and the positive behavior should be rewarded in some way. I will be praying for this child and the family and it wouldn't hurt to ask for prayer from the viewers. God can move mountains. God Bless  Sincerely, connie from NJ "There are no hopeless situations, only people who think hopelessly"

October 13, 2007, 9:35 am CDT

10/17 Deadly Kids

Quote From: cmancuso717

He is just a child it is obvious that this child needs help with maybe medicine and intense theapy. Pet theapy wouldn't hurt either so that he can be responcible to take care of something he loves and he should be able to pick out himself, and get unconditional love back.  We don't treat the diagnose we should treat the symtoms.  A battery of test should be run and look at the enviroment as well.  The child for the houses safty as well as his own should not just go right back into the home and maybe the family should all be apart of his theapy and go to the place he is at first. Some one on one with each member first then a family theapy sessions as well. He obviously has some deep seeded things going on.  When he does go home theapy should diffenitly continue in the home as well on a daily basis. Art theapy, pet theapy, and intense theapy.  He needs to feel normal and do things that other children do his own age and have hobbies and get involved in sports eventually.. The negative behavior can not be placed too much acknowlegment  on, and the positive behavior should be rewarded in some way. I will be praying for this child and the family and it wouldn't hurt to ask for prayer from the viewers. God can move mountains. God Bless  Sincerely, connie from NJ "There are no hopeless situations, only people who think hopelessly"

Art therapy and intense therapy I'd think so...but NO way would I let this a child with rage issues have a pet, nor take care of a pet.  They have no empathy for one thing and to subject an innocent animal to this would be wrong. I would fear for the animal's safety and/or life.  These children, unfortunately need to get their own selves under control before they can be around ANY pets.

October 13, 2007, 10:01 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Deadly Doctor Kids Phil. I never heard of Deadly Kids at all. But if you sing a few bar then I would know. ----

I hope tha your kids never ever try that one again. See you on Wednesday October 17th, 2007. Sincerley----

Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 13, 2007, 10:11 am CDT

Deadly kids

Children that display such severe disconnect in emotions, compassion, that have no care of life, only want to destroy people around them need to be receiving serious help and it should not be "Outpatient" help. They should not be allowed around average life routines and the people involved. It is obvious these children can not handle "normal" anything and to allow them to be around people, knowing that at any moment the child may "snap" is endangering all people's safety and lives and the parents will be held responsible for allowing the child ,(who has severe mental and emotional life issues that threaten the very lives of others,)to be around people and endanger them. There is nothing "normal" about children who have such a serious disconnect that threatens to kill anyone, children who make fun of anyone who gets hurt or displays any emotion, children who don't seem to have a discernment of right and wrong, good and bad.

They may never may be able to return to a "normal" life. Parents need to accept that and not feel guilty if they know they had NO involvement in anyway(abuse, drugs,ect) of their child's predictiment or lack of mental state. It is a heavy burden and the families need prayer.

October 13, 2007, 10:54 am CDT

Hard but REAL subject in my home,WOW*

My lil 8 year old boy has the best smile on earth and the most precious face. He has been talking steadily since he was born making all sorts of sounds and babble ,he has the imagination of a future author to be and can go to any world in his mind. His large motor skills are beyong those of his age, his small motor skills are behind by at least 2-3 years and he is just starting to learn to read. He has just learned to hold a pencil.

This is his DX: He is BI-POLAR, Attachment disorder, ODD, and possibly early on-set shizophrenia. Is there a possibility if border line autism? Maybe. He has a high IQ and is cunning.

He has serious asthma and is on madications for that is advair, albuteral zyrtac and a nose spray nasennex.[ he has a nebulizer when things get too bad ] In psychiatric meds, he has lamictal ,clonidine  Seroquel and when he gets so violent he will kill you and anyone he comes in contact with, we do GIVE HIM ketamine *K*  as the physicians call this hard medication. He is alergic to everything as  is his brother. he is an active kid and loves the outdoors and bike and rides and runs around and screams and plays harder than most. His older brother age 13 is not violent and is calm and .

The 8 year old is in a special school with a room if he acts up that is padded for the school staff to put him into so he does not hurt himself or anyone else.

Remember he is a precious child when not inflamed with hate and anger fear.

he has beat me and kicked me so hard I had bruises on my legs for weeks and at times I am scared to pieces of him. I am unable to take him to church because of his un-predictability and he would scare the lil ones to pieces. He has hardly any friends in the neighborhood. He never has anyone show up to his birthday party. He will fight just about anyone and threaten them with their lives.

My husband and I cannot leave him with a regular sitter, we have to have professioanl sitters who know how to handle this kid and NOT hurt him and know how to restrain him accordingly.  WE had CPS called on us at a lab one time because we had to restrain him for a blood draw and the lab tecnician refised to draw blood from the child because he was afraid of the child and so I threatened his job and he came back at me. CPS came in and knew about the child and said " Oh this lil guy"  I get the bruises and the child is fine. For all blood draws now they sedate him. For teeth fillings they use anesthesia and for me they use " Oh honey we admire you" really?

I /we do not want to lose this child and we struggle daily to weekly to hold on tight to this human being who we know can turn out to be a bit different in many ways. he is very VERY violent and yet he can be a pussy cat too. We do not keep any guns in the house, we would be dead by now and knives are carefully maintained. We have 4 cats and one dog. When he gets angry we have taught him if he hurts an animal we call the police. We have called the police on hurting humans and have had to call them when he refused to take his meds when he tore the hosue apart from one end to the next. A piece of dust set him off. CPS is now looking into respite care for my husband and I so we can go out once a month.. maybe. I trust no one with him , he is hard to handle and if he got hurt I would come apart. OR for that matter if anyone else got hurt I would come apart.. hell this is hard...

October 13, 2007, 12:18 pm CDT

reply to tinderbell1213

Quote From: tinkerbell1213

Art therapy and intense therapy I'd think so...but NO way would I let this a child with rage issues have a pet, nor take care of a pet.  They have no empathy for one thing and to subject an innocent animal to this would be wrong. I would fear for the animal's safety and/or life.  These children, unfortunately need to get their own selves under control before they can be around ANY pets.

I didn't mean right away and maybe he could never handle that responcility, I do have much experience in this as some one dear to me went  through a simular situation,  the pet theapy came down the road under supervision. That is all I meant, No harm intended. God Bless,,we can all start praying for this child and family.

October 13, 2007, 1:04 pm CDT

Tori

I don't know what might be the source of your step-son's rage, but it may always be directed  at you.  With his starting so young to try to take your life, I think I'd have to recommend you never let him back in your home.  If he appears to finally understand the gravity of what he has done, and apologizes, and IF you and the medical staff who are currently caring for him have any reasonable expectation that hes being honest in his apology, and not just role playing to get at you again, and if they recommend taking him home, then I recommend you make him a ward of the court before he comes home. 

To those who have not lived this nightmare, this may seem extreme, but I have walked in your shoes.  My son, however, was 20 when he attempted to take my life in the middle of my divorce.  All his life he was full of rage, and he always blamed me for everything he thought was wrong with his life.  I immediately moved into "tough love" mode, and moved him out that same night.   He claimed he didn't know who did it, but later admitted it was him.  He mournfully asked how I could throw him out on the street to sleep.   I calmly told him he'd made that decision for me when he took action against me and so it was simply a logical consequence of his actions.... one I could not change.  Like I told him, "you can't live here any more".

I tried to keep in touch via email, after he got out of jail on a 5 year probation.  Every email got a nasty response from him.  So, finally, I had to let him go totally.  It was very painful to give him up, but my first responsibility is to take care of me, so I am there for the rest of the family, and for my responsibility to take good care of myself.  I've had no contact with him for about 8 years now.  I had to love him by letting him go and letting him NOT be in my life.

As bad as things have been with your step-son, I believe you will have to do as I have done.  Some children choose to not heal.  Some of my son's problems come from his father; most come from his intrinsic personality.... and are his responsibility alone.  He's an addictive type personality; he blames me for all his woes and problems, rather than taking personal responsibility.  I will pray for you.

October 13, 2007, 1:15 pm CDT

deadly kids...

When a child acts up, that child is calling out. There is normally a reason for the child to act the way he or she is. Parents who allow there kids to take control are the ones that deals with being scared of there children. It starts from when the childred are very young, and they start touching things like on a table, and a parent says no, and they child looks at us and does it again. Right there consistency is needed. And No should always be no.

I have raised 6 children all by myself...and i tried hard to make sure they would not become a statistic. If i was having this many kids then i was going to be sure they did the right things. Morals and values all the way.

more....

thanks

October 13, 2007, 1:20 pm CDT

Deadly Kids?

There is no easy or generic answer to what is happening with these children. I work with many abused children and it's sometimes more scary than heartbreaking. But who really knows what has been imposed on the psyches of these children? What form of abuse they have encountered that may imbalance them in a way we as so-called "normal" humans can never understand. Mothers on drugs while pregnant. I omit alcohol because usually that is apparent in other ways. But drugs do this to children.Their chemistry is all screwed up more times than not. I will also have to declare that some children are not capable of changing their behaviors simply because their bodies do not possess the ingredient needed to. I just don't think anyone has come up with an answer to that one yet. In the meantime, violent children can not be trusted to live with others in a community and left to their own devices. They must be in an environment of constant monitoring and treatment adjusted as they grow.
Shame on us if we do not try everything we can to help make these children as happy as they are capable of being, without violence. Sometimes, it really doesn't work, but for those that it can help, we should do our best as a society to be there. Be proactive in your life and theirs. It's the only way we can give what we have to others. One last thing, I remember a story about a great man that entered into a den of thieves and prostitutes while being jeered by all those who had followed him. His message to them was simple and clear: they are the ones that are most in need.

October 13, 2007, 1:32 pm CDT

wondering

Quote From: shawnylou

My lil 8 year old boy has the best smile on earth and the most precious face. He has been talking steadily since he was born making all sorts of sounds and babble ,he has the imagination of a future author to be and can go to any world in his mind. His large motor skills are beyong those of his age, his small motor skills are behind by at least 2-3 years and he is just starting to learn to read. He has just learned to hold a pencil.

This is his DX: He is BI-POLAR, Attachment disorder, ODD, and possibly early on-set shizophrenia. Is there a possibility if border line autism? Maybe. He has a high IQ and is cunning.

He has serious asthma and is on madications for that is advair, albuteral zyrtac and a nose spray nasennex.[ he has a nebulizer when things get too bad  In psychiatric meds, he has lamictal ,clonidine  Seroquel and when he gets so violent he will kill you and anyone he comes in contact with, we do GIVE HIM ketamine *K*  as the physicians call this hard medication. He is alergic to everything as  is his brother. he is an active kid and loves the outdoors and bike and rides and runs around and screams and plays harder than most. His older brother age 13 is not violent and is calm and .

The 8 year old is in a special school with a room if he acts up that is padded for the school staff to put him into so he does not hurt himself or anyone else.

Remember he is a precious child when not inflamed with hate and anger fear.

he has beat me and kicked me so hard I had bruises on my legs for weeks and at times I am scared to pieces of him. I am unable to take him to church because of his un-predictability and he would scare the lil ones to pieces. He has hardly any friends in the neighborhood. He never has anyone show up to his birthday party. He will fight just about anyone and threaten them with their lives.

My husband and I cannot leave him with a regular sitter, we have to have professioanl sitters who know how to handle this kid and NOT hurt him and know how to restrain him accordingly.  WE had CPS called on us at a lab one time because we had to restrain him for a blood draw and the lab tecnician refised to draw blood from the child because he was afraid of the child and so I threatened his job and he came back at me. CPS came in and knew about the child and said " Oh this lil guy"  I get the bruises and the child is fine. For all blood draws now they sedate him. For teeth fillings they use anesthesia and for me they use " Oh honey we admire you" really?

I /we do not want to lose this child and we struggle daily to weekly to hold on tight to this human being who we know can turn out to be a bit different in many ways. he is very VERY violent and yet he can be a pussy cat too. We do not keep any guns in the house, we would be dead by now and knives are carefully maintained. We have 4 cats and one dog. When he gets angry we have taught him if he hurts an animal we call the police. We have called the police on hurting humans and have had to call them when he refused to take his meds when he tore the hosue apart from one end to the next. A piece of dust set him off. CPS is now looking into respite care for my husband and I so we can go out once a month.. maybe. I trust no one with him , he is hard to handle and if he got hurt I would come apart. OR for that matter if anyone else got hurt I would come apart.. hell this is hard...

I was wondering what effect his behavior and your reactions, attention to, and constant thought about this child has had on your other child. And also, could he be allergic to any of the psych meds?

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last