Message Boards

Topic : 06/10 Deadly Kids

Number of Replies: 247
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 12, 2007, 02:54:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/18/07) What if you feared your own child? Dr. Phil's guests say they worry that one day they may die at the hands of their offspring. Steven and Tori say Steven's 9-year-old son, Donovan, poisoned his siblings and then laced Tori's drink with aquarium cleaner. They say he laughed after his family members went to the hospital and has not shown remorse for his sinister acts. He's now in a treatment facility, but should Tori and Steven allow him back into their home once he's released? Then, Susie narrowly escaped death after her stepson tried to brutally kill her with a gun and then a knife. He's now behind bars, so why does she fear he will try to finish the job? And, Carrie and Lance fear their son, Michael, will be the next shocking murder headline. They say he threatened to cut his teacher's eyes out with a knife and kill his younger sister. When Michael becomes enraged, Carrie locks herself in the bedroom for fear of what he might do. Find out what Dr. Phil cameras caught on tape while at Carrie and Lance's house. And, why do the parents feel their son's behavior is influencing their daughter? What does Dr. Phil think is at the root of Michael's rage? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 14, 2007, 7:59 am CDT

It sounds to me

it sounds to me as though there's no attempt made to restrain this child. thus he's being enabled to go further and further by each instance of "rage" attacks, gaining momentum and enjoyment from his sense of power over his family-this is a future serial killer in progress of we do nothing, and rather than see that happen, he should be dealt with Quickly before he actually goes further. He laughs when he tries to kill, doesn't he-thus, it's his sense of power driving his need to harm. Im sorry, but you've built a sociopath, not a child.

October 14, 2007, 10:01 am CDT

What is going on in this world?

I just don't know what is going on in this world?  If you want to take yourself out then by all means go ahead but people need to stop taking others out with them.  I don't understand all of the killing that goes on.  Just a few days ago a man here in Texas killed his wife & his 2 step children however he took his little girl to a church so she could live.  What is this child to think, no Mom, no Dad, etc... As far as kids killing, do kids think you can get back up because they've watched too many cartoons?  As far as school shootings, I have a adult son who is a teacher & I fear for his safety. Teachers used to be respected, not now? What is wrong with this world now?  It's really scares me now.

October 14, 2007, 12:31 pm CDT

This may sound crazy but....

I used to work in an Autistic school and the admin staff was trained in basic intervention just as the medical staffers were.  I also have studied and attended several Homeopathic, Holistic seminars and my honest opinion is that this child (I know, after everything he's been through this may sound ludicrous but...)  may honestly need to be treated by a Dr. of Homeopathic medicine  which by the way IS APPROVED BY THE FDA.  

There is a wonderful Dr. by the name of Dr. Guess who is in the Charlottesville, Va.  area who recently spoke here in Richmond, VA  regarding everything you could possibly think of and believe me, we perused him with a ton of questions.  He said in many cases with either autism or ADHD,  or many other instances, sometimes all it takes is a blend of certain chemical bases that the body is lacking, which of course I can't go into here because of ethics and morality reasons,  but a hard case can sometimes be treated over a period of 2-3 months with a certain treatment and in most cases, all of the presenting symptoms can be reversed. 

I honestly think this child should be looked at by a Homeopathic Dr.  who can pinpoint the chemical (s) that are either short-circuiting this child's brain or either causing him to react with violent tendencies.  

I certainly hope the officials, parents and Drs. involved in this case do NOT write him off before trying EVERYTHING possible to catch him before its too late so that he may still have a chance at a decent and prosperous life.  It seems to me that simply stereotyping anyone, child or adult is TOTALLY WRONG!!!

Every human being is different.    PLEASE TRY HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES WITH THIS CHILD.  I HAVE A GUT FEELING IT MIGHT BE JUST WHAT IS NEEDED FOR HIM.  GOD BLESS AND I'M PRAYING THAT HIS ANGELS WILL PROTECT HIM AGAINST THIS SYSTEM WHO TENDS TO GIVE UP TOO EASILY ON PEOPLE.  WE HAVE ENOUGH HOMELESS AND PEOPLE IN JAIL.  GIVE THIS CHILD A CHANCE! 

MRS. T.

VA

October 14, 2007, 2:37 pm CDT

10/17 Deadly Kids

I'm no Dr. Phil but it seems to me these kids have schizophrenia. Unless the prognosis has changed for early onset schizophrenia the prognosis is just about zero to change the child.

October 14, 2007, 3:49 pm CDT

HOW TO TREAT OTHERS - INCLUDING FAMILY MEMBERS

In general, we don't learn much about healthy communication skills and interaction techniques in school or in our culture.  The only way we learn how to communicate and interact in relationships as adults is by what we see in our homes as we are growing up. 

HOW TO TREAT OTHERS (including family members): 

1.  Be kind, think kind thoughts, and use kind words

2.  Be gentle

3.  Take turns, be fair and share

4.  Be polite

5.  Care about others

6.  Be helpful

7.  Listen attentively  

8.  Respect the thoughts and feelings of others

9.  Give encouragement 

10. Cooperate with others

10a. Set healthy boundaries and be a worthy confidant

How to get posters for your family:

www.teachchildren.com/0768213932.html  

If you grew up in a family where you had to yell to be heard or acknowledged, while your partner grew up in a family where emotional outbursts were ignored or not tolerated, your divergent communication and interaction styles are going to get in the way of your long-term healthy bonding (with your partner and others). 

Hope it helps!

October 15, 2007, 2:06 am CDT

10/17 Deadly Kids

Quote From: rena1054

I'm no Dr. Phil but it seems to me these kids have schizophrenia. Unless the prognosis has changed for early onset schizophrenia the prognosis is just about zero to change the child.

Not necessarily.

Not all people with schizophrenia are violent.

October 15, 2007, 6:18 am CDT

Deadly Kids-"Whats Going On America?"

I am reminded of a saying "What will make you laugh now will make you cry later" we need to be parents to our children and stop trying to be their friends, and it starts at an early age (toddlers) we think its cute when they talk back and bite and kick and throw temper-tantrums, we are only setting or selves up for this type of abuse when we allow such behavior, I refuse to be intimidated by a child that i raised, clothed and fed, you must demand respect not tolerate the lack thereof.

October 15, 2007, 2:08 pm CDT

10/17 Deadly Kids

Quote From: ladywallace

I am reminded of a saying "What will make you laugh now will make you cry later" we need to be parents to our children and stop trying to be their friends, and it starts at an early age (toddlers) we think its cute when they talk back and bite and kick and throw temper-tantrums, we are only setting or selves up for this type of abuse when we allow such behavior, I refuse to be intimidated by a child that i raised, clothed and fed, you must demand respect not tolerate the lack thereof.

This is not a regular child and has not one thing to do with how the child is raised not one iota. These children have problems , usually mental issues cause either by sever abuse, being abandoned , metabolism issues [ allergic to whaet , envioromental , dust pollen  etc ]  allergic to plastic's.  You have not one idea as to how BAD these kids get. These kids are not merely having a temper tantrum , these are serious  outbreaks of hostility.

There is Attachment disorder to consider Asparegers Autism and regular Autism , Frontal lobe epilepsy as well , ODD combined with many other factors like a thyroid going really ill. Many factors to look at with full medical testing. The way you are looking at this is closed minded and old fashioned.

I have been dealing with this type of child for a long time and believe me I wish it were what you were stating. However you sound harsh in your treatment of a child, so best you look at your raising skills considerably.

October 15, 2007, 2:15 pm CDT

10/17 Deadly Kids

Quote From: marianparoo

Not necessarily.

Not all people with schizophrenia are violent.

Rena, R you a psychiatrist?

Attachment disorder, thyroid, allergies medications being skewed  , abuse and abandonment issues can also be apart of this. Paint in the house that is NOT setting well with the child, bedroom sheets have amatterial that is all wrong, sensitivity to light and strutures. aspargers autism and there is regular autism to consider too. Frontal lobe seizures and personality disoders. the list goes on and medical help is totally necessary for these sweet children who are totally violent. I know I have one .

He might have early on-set schitzophrenia, but his DX also has attachment disorder , aspargers autism and frontal lode seizures too... AND may I add , I am relieved I had a real doctor and a team of excellent care for this child to diagnose him. because the regular public does just what you did.. presume and ASSSSsume.

Just what we do not need from the public is that.. but understanding and help. respite care would be nice too.

October 15, 2007, 2:27 pm CDT

10/17 Deadly Kids

Quote From: ssgdave

it sounds to me as though there's no attempt made to restrain this child. thus he's being enabled to go further and further by each instance of "rage" attacks, gaining momentum and enjoyment from his sense of power over his family-this is a future serial killer in progress of we do nothing, and rather than see that happen, he should be dealt with Quickly before he actually goes further. He laughs when he tries to kill, doesn't he-thus, it's his sense of power driving his need to harm. Im sorry, but you've built a sociopath, not a child.

Who are you talking to? If you have read all my answers from start to end you would see the child is in a special school of 6 boys with a padded room in it. He is restrained often.

U R not a trained doctor with a degree I will  presume. Trained? We are trained and so willing to do what we need to do. I have had the hardest of children in the state and I am here only to say that there are many things to look at other than calling the child a sociopath and other things that mean nothing except to someone who knows nothing about the  illnesses involved.

These children are not your typical kids and they take allot of work and we need respit care of people who are trained and can take the presure of these kids. The person cannot be ill tempered or lose their cool at a drop of a scream or when the kid starts to imtimidate. We do not want a prison guard. The place by us Fair Fax is the most horrible place with the worse staff possible in training with this type of child. Kids come out of their bruised and not one thing is done about it.

I know how to restrain him and so does my husband without breaking his neck or his arms. I have seen others almost suffocate him . No thanks.

So before you start accusing anyone and throwing those words out without knowledge I suggest you know your words correctly and maybe try another discussion group.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last