Message Boards

Topic : 06/06 Suing for Love

Number of Replies: 693
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 12, 2007, 02:56:16 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/19/07) Have you ever been so devastated after a breakup that you wanted someone to literally pay for your broken heart? When Bonnie and her ex, Charles, broke up, she says he went to an unexpected low. He wrote and distributed The Bonnie Chronicles -- a diary that she says is all vicious lies. He claims she has AIDS, seasonal bipolar disorder and is promiscuous. She took him to court and won a monetary settlement, but he maintains that the book is truthful and says he's not paying her a dime! Bonnie says she's ready to move on, but is she really done with Charles? Then, Dawn unknowingly had an affair with a married man and was sued for her crime of passion. You won't believe who sued her, and what she has to pay. And, DrPhil.com viewers weigh in with their thoughts about suing over a lost love. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 19, 2007, 1:02 pm CDT

Get a life!!

I really think Charlie needs some serious mental therapy.  But more than that his ex wife really needs a reality check if she hooks up with him again. 

These people need to get on with their lives and leave each other alone.

As for the antiquated law of alienation of affection-it is crazy and needs abolished.

October 19, 2007, 1:06 pm CDT

this is absurd

I really can't express how ridiculous I feel this is.  Do our courts not have more pressing matters to manage? Life is short and it goes on, if you're lucky, so move on! This is an embarrassment for woman and sue-happy America as a whole.  

October 19, 2007, 1:13 pm CDT

Been There, should have sued

My husband started having an affair when I was pregnant with our second child.  We had lost the first child to still birth and this pregnancy was troubled also.  I found out about the affair shortly after my sons birth.  I was recovering from moving into a new home, being unemployed to become a stay at home mom, an emergency c-section, a son that was hospitalized because he was premature, and now an affair.  We got divorced and my husband promised me he would take me to court as often as possible to get his child support back.  He figured if I had to hire a lawyer, he got that money.  He took me to court so much the judge told him if he did it again, he would lay out everything that would happen with his visitation, when, where, how long etc and if he did not follow it, he would not see his son.  I got the house in the divorce, but my husband would not sign it over to me.  He was ordered to multiple times.  I had gone back to college and moved to a new state because he was stalking me but I could do nothing with the house.  Because it was in his name, I could not rent it, sell it, or anything!!  I finally stopped paying on it, I put the money in a bank account and  let it go to foreclosure.  When my husband went to get a loan and was told no because of the house he immediately signed it over to me.  Luckily, I had the money to get it caught up so I did not have that on my credit.  However, this was NINE years after our divorce!!!!  The house is now in shambles from not being properly cared for.  I would love to live in it, as would my parents, but we cannot afford to fix it up.  I cannot even get what I owe out of it if I sell it because it needs so much work.  It has almost been sold 3 times but each time it has been cancelled because of the stipulations people put on buying it or the mortgage company will not loan the money in its current condition.  I truly wish I would have sued my ex and his current wife, maybe they would not have been able to afford to build their mansion while I struggle to pay 2 mortgages and take care of his son!!!   Keep the law and allow people to sue the spouse also!!!!!

October 19, 2007, 1:15 pm CDT

I wish

I wish I could sue my husbands' mistress for all the distress she caused me and my family. Sadly she has nothing and lives with her parents.

October 19, 2007, 1:19 pm CDT

run far away

That charlie is a nut job. Thanks for putting him on so that every woman knows to stay away. As for the ex  wife getting back with him sounds to me like she deserves him as much as he deserves her. What a couple of nut cases to bad the jury did not award more.

October 19, 2007, 1:25 pm CDT

this guy is insane!

This guy is a nutjob! he thinks all this is funny. he doesn't even get what he did wrong. sitting there smirking like the  damn fool he is. girl, get as far away from him as possible, and file for a permenant restaining order. he is seriously messed up. whether those things happened or not is not the point. it's what he did that is the point. and he is such a sociopath he does not get it. he lives to cause pain in anyone who he can't control. get away!

October 19, 2007, 1:29 pm CDT

Accountable

Yes, I do believe that the person who pursues an affair should be held accountable financially for causing pain to the family cheated upon. My situation is my husband was away for work for over a year. He was unaccompanied (without his family). His family did visit a few times. There was a woman who went where he lived for that year for her work and started a friendship and then that let to the affair. The other woman did go home every few days and also had a family. Her marriage was emotionless. My husband and I had young children. My husband came back home to us after the year and told this other woman that he wanted to work on his marriage. This other woman threatened to tell my husband's parents and his kids about the affair. She tried blackmail, harassment and finally falsified a pregnancy. Now, she is a person who should be sued. Yes, it does take two but my husband told her no and she thought the affair involved real feelings and would not let him go. I would have sued her but I wanted her out of our lives. Her true character did show. I do believe a woman has more control over an affair occuring.

October 19, 2007, 1:32 pm CDT

Wait, save your cash

Quote From: xelisepwnsx

i wonder if this book is available on ebay or something.

i'd personally like to read it.
Maybe i'll understand what was ACTUALLY going on during the relationship.
Why buy the book, wait for the movie:D

October 19, 2007, 1:47 pm CDT

OMG

ok that guy was aggrvating me, you can tell he made everything up, and she gave her lawer the money for the camra and he wasnt happy with that ugh he needs to be slapped. But what they say "what goes around will come back around"...

October 19, 2007, 1:51 pm CDT

Take your own inventory

The answer to every Americans problem is sue, sue sue.....A quick way to get money and blame your problems on someone else.  If it were only that simple. Your relationship is your responsibility, yours to keep or yours to throw away.  To blame another person for having an affair with your spouse, is rediculous.  Marriage takes work by both people and 100% commitment by both people, everyday you are together.  If you are not willing to take on that responsibility, than don't get married.  The other person would not be in your life if your spouse had not have brought them in.  Blame your spouse and take everything they have, but take personal inventory into your relationship with your spouse and why they may have strayed.  When you can say that your whole relationship was squeaky clean and there is no possible reason why your spouse would stray, than get a lawyer and divorce and sue them, you deserve it.  If the other person still wants their broke butt than they can have it, that is payback enough, or you can take the same road as every other money hungry hard done by and sue, it is the American way.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last