Message Boards

Topic : 07/04 Body Dysmorphia

Number of Replies: 289
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 02:52:19 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/30/07) When most women gaze in the mirror, they may bemoan a blemish here or a wrinkle there. Imagine staring at your reflection for over two hours and hating your face so much that you never leave the house. Dr. Phil’s guests say they are prisoners to body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), a preoccupation with a real or imagined physical defect. Diana, 28, has been suffering with BDD for over 13 years. She’s undergone over 50 permanent make-up procedures –- eye liner, lips and eyebrows –- and didn’t leave her home for two years because she thinks she looks like a monster. Her mother, Guadalupe, and her sister, Liz, say it’s painful to watch Diana deteriorate before their eyes. Find out the shocking event Diana believes caused her condition. Then, 17 year-old Cheyenne used to win beauty pageants, but now believes that she’s an ugly, overweight girl with thunder thighs. She takes several hours to get ready for school in the morning, and constantly picks at her arm hair and lips. Her mom, Bobette, wonders if she’s the cause of her daughter’s bad feelings. Does Cheyenne really have BDD, or is something else affecting her? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 29, 2007, 12:15 am CDT

Its a sad.. sad situation..!

Allow me to comment on Diana and Cheyenne issuue. Its is a very sad situation that i think its killing thousands of souls worldwide. Personally, i'd like attribute part of the problem (most of it) to "parenting". In my own view, i dont think parents realise that they have a much bigger role to play in the society than any other proffesional. Parents are suppose to raise children in such a way that they become proud of who they are with high self esteen and a high level of confidence in themselves with what i call autonomy (self rule). So u can imagine, sometimes parents are the ones who demoralise these kids with nasty words and all that......i mean what do u expect from children when u say all those demeanishing words to them. I belive if children are raised properly, nomatter what their  friends say at school or in the streets, they'll allways stand up to protect their own intergrity. from Calvin in Botswana

October 29, 2007, 2:46 pm CDT

I know how you feel

I never knew that there was a name for the way I feel.   I am a 29 year old woman who has spent the last 5 years staying in my home arguing with my husband about not even leaving to go get food for the house.  I have excessive hair growth on my face and other parts of my body.  I have to shave everyday or I would look like a monkey.  It takes me so long to get ready, that it takes everything I have to just do it.  By 5 pm  I have 5 0'clock shadow.  This makes me feel less of a woman that I find it becoming more of a burden on me than it has ever before.  I hate the way that I look.  I thought that I could deal with it as I get older, but I am finding that this hair problem in control of me. 

October 30, 2007, 2:58 am CDT

I understand...

Quote From: sspreston

I never knew that there was a name for the way I feel.   I am a 29 year old woman who has spent the last 5 years staying in my home arguing with my husband about not even leaving to go get food for the house.  I have excessive hair growth on my face and other parts of my body.  I have to shave everyday or I would look like a monkey.  It takes me so long to get ready, that it takes everything I have to just do it.  By 5 pm  I have 5 0'clock shadow.  This makes me feel less of a woman that I find it becoming more of a burden on me than it has ever before.  I hate the way that I look.  I thought that I could deal with it as I get older, but I am finding that this hair problem in control of me. 
I also am 29 and have excessive hair growth in areas I feel a woman should never have hair.  It makes me feel ugly, and very un-feminine.   I hate having more body hair than my husband! After going to the doctor a few years ago, and mustering up the courage to talk about it,  I was told that this can be a symptom of PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome).  Please go to a doctor if you can, a  reproductive endocrinologist is even better.    Good luck to you!

October 30, 2007, 6:17 am CDT

10/30 Body Dysmorphia

What a sad situation. And Diana looks so sad. I wish there was some way to get across to her how pretty she really is. So many people go on and on about how pretty Angelina Jolie is and I think she is totally unattractive. Diana has her beat in the looks department hands down. She has movie star or model beauty. She is obviously broken on the inside, though. Maybe if Dr. Phil or one on his contacts could help her heal her internal pain ,it would start to show on the outside.

October 30, 2007, 6:44 am CDT

just plain mad

I was sympathetic to the plight of Diana and others with this problem, but now after hearing Cheyenne; I am more toward mad. Someone needs to take her to a burn unit and let her see people her age  who have been badly burned and let her see somebody who has a real reason to feel badly about themselves. She needs to get over herself. She needs to go volunteer at a soup kitchen and see how people with real problems have to exist. Her problem is being too wrapped up in herself.

October 30, 2007, 6:51 am CDT

10/30 Body Dysmorphia

Quote From: sspreston

Have you seen a doctor with your hair growth problem?

October 30, 2007, 7:23 am CDT

10/30 Body Dysmorphia

Quote From: longwalker

I was sympathetic to the plight of Diana and others with this problem, but now after hearing Cheyenne; I am more toward mad. Someone needs to take her to a burn unit and let her see people her age  who have been badly burned and let her see somebody who has a real reason to feel badly about themselves. She needs to get over herself. She needs to go volunteer at a soup kitchen and see how people with real problems have to exist. Her problem is being too wrapped up in herself.

Are you kidding me???  What a waste of air time Dr. Phil.  This young lady doesn't know what problems are!!!  She thinks that she's ugly, big cheeks, uneven lips, pleassssssse!  Boy, if she's ugly I must be hideous, I better stay home today, I might scare everyone that comes in contact with me.  Get a life!!!! I'll tell you what worrying is, my father has been diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor and has 9 months to live, that's worrying you spoiled brat.  Go to St. Jude hospital and take a look at those little kids without any hair that won't live for very long, that's something to worry about.  Dr. Phil, don't waste your time with these spoiled brats that have nothing else better to do than feel pity on themselves.  How about a show, like Oprah recently did, when you're faced with eminent death, how do you look at life?

Appalled in NY State

October 30, 2007, 7:24 am CDT

Sister's concern

My comment is not on the topic of Body Dysmorphia, but the comment Diana's sister, Liz, made and Dr. Phil's harsh response.  The sister was concerned with the therapy Dr. Phil was offering.  She stated that in the past, Diana has a way of manipulating the therapists/psychologists into believing she is better and it seemed Dr. Phil interpreted that as Liz's negative support or in his words "already sabotaging her therapy.  He said to Liz  something about  "do you think this is their (the doctors/therapists) first time at the rodeo?"  Dr. Phil's response was totally off the mark and cold.  He responded in defense instead of understanding what Liz's concern truly was.  He was unprofessional and (I am almost positive, ask the sister) completely wrong. 

I feel strongly about this because I have seen it with my sister who manipulated her therapist.  She has done it with her alcohol counseling.  This is over 2 years and she is still a mess.  She's on her own now, though her children are suffering.

My brother-in-law (different sister) has done it with his psychiatrist for 10 months and did it at his $27,000/month resident alcohol treatment center he went to for 28 days.  I think he has a long way to fall before someone will help him properly.

My 14-year-old nephew has not manipulated his therapists/psychiatrists but has convinced them there is nothing wrong with him from his lack of talking.  Isn't there a professional who can get a quiet child to open up?  Apparently not, because his parents have taken him to 4 or 5 different professionals. 

It is very frustraing, when family members help all they can including the support of therapy and counseling by babysitting, driving, paying for sessions, finding referrals, etc. and then the therapy failing.  There is no where to turn when the therapists and doctors are not getting the entire picture.  I don't think that has to do with how many times they have been to the rodeo.  I think professionals only get the picture after there has been a suicide, a school shooting, a fatal drunk driving crash, a divorce, drug overdose, etc.

I know exactly what the sister meant by her comment.  She was in no way sabotaging her sister's recovery.  And I think what she wanted to hear from Dr. Phil was something reassuring.  I am sure she feels there is no hope and I am sure she cries for her sister all the time.

October 30, 2007, 7:26 am CDT

COULD i HAVE BDD?

i REALLY RELATED TO HOW THESE GiRLS FEEL. iM A 19 YEARS OLD AN i HAVE ALWAYS HAD BODY iSSUES. JUST RECENT i HAVE HAD A BABY AN YET THiS iS THE HAPPiEST TiME OF MY LiFE i STiLL HATE MY BODY. i WOULD NEVER WANT TO CHANGE ANYTHiNG ABOUT MY FACE BECAUSE i HAVE SEEN PEOPLE WHO HAVE TOOK PLASTiC SURGERY TO AN EXTREME BUT i CAN SAY THAT iF i HAD 20,000 DOLLARS i WOULD HAVE SO MUCH WORK DONE FROM THE NECK DOWN! i HATE MY STOMACH, LEGS,ARMS...EVERYTHiNG. WHEN i WAS YOUNGER i WAS DEPRESSED BUT MY CHiLD iS THE BEST THiNG THAT HAS HAPPEND TO ME AN i CAN'T BE THAT WAY BECAUSE OF HiM, BUT WHEN i LOOK iN THE MIRROR, MY BODY MAKES ME SiCK! MY FiANCE AN MOTHER TELL ME THAT iM BEAUTiFUL THE WAY iM AM BUT i JUST DON'T SEE iT. i KNOW i AM A THiCK GiRL AN i DON'T WANT TO BE A SiZE 0 BUT i JUST WOULD LOVE TO LiKE A SiZE 8 AGAiN AN BE HAPPY TO WALK AROUND iN A 2 PiECE AT THE BEACH NEXT SUMMER BUT THE WAY iT LOOKS THATS NOW GUNNA HAPPEN iM STRUGGLEiNG TO LOOSE ALL THiS WEiGHT! WHAT SHOULD i DO!

October 30, 2007, 8:09 am CDT

10/30 Body Dysmorphia

Quote From: avery10102002

Are you kidding me???  What a waste of air time Dr. Phil.  This young lady doesn't know what problems are!!!  She thinks that she's ugly, big cheeks, uneven lips, pleassssssse!  Boy, if she's ugly I must be hideous, I better stay home today, I might scare everyone that comes in contact with me.  Get a life!!!! I'll tell you what worrying is, my father has been diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor and has 9 months to live, that's worrying you spoiled brat.  Go to St. Jude hospital and take a look at those little kids without any hair that won't live for very long, that's something to worry about.  Dr. Phil, don't waste your time with these spoiled brats that have nothing else better to do than feel pity on themselves.  How about a show, like Oprah recently did, when you're faced with eminent death, how do you look at life?

Appalled in NY State

First, let me say how sorry I am about your father. My mother died from a malignant brain tumor in 2001. My prayers are with you and your family.

You hit the nail on the head with "spoiled brat". And a lot of that comes from those ridiculous beauty pageants that some mothers put their daughters in from the time they are a baby. They are taught that looks is all that matters. The mothers get mad if someone else's daughter is perceived as being better looking and the daughter absorbs that as a value system. It doesn't matter what is between their ears on the inside but what they present to the world on the outside. They wear ridiculous makeup when they should be concerned with nothing more important than what dress will Barbie wear on her next adventure. Some girls are cuter when they are young. As they grow, things change. Not as much attention is being paid to them. The mirror was always their friend and now it is the enemy.

The movie and modeling business puts an unattainable level of size and looks as the expected norm. Most of these people look like freaks. Pre-teen and teenage girls will not listen when they are told the pictures are air-brushed to achieve the pictures in the magazines and movies. They just think they need to be a size 6 or less and look like any one of the airheads they see on the movie screen.

A lot of this BDD could be prevented if that pageant fiasco was barred for girls younger than 18 or 20. If there is some college tuition money to be won, then they could benefit from that. And by this age, if their mothers have taken the time to help them, they have developed a realistic view of themselves on the outside and hopefully  they have carefully developed the inside.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last