Message Boards

Topic : 07/04 Body Dysmorphia

Number of Replies: 289
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 02:52:19 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/30/07) When most women gaze in the mirror, they may bemoan a blemish here or a wrinkle there. Imagine staring at your reflection for over two hours and hating your face so much that you never leave the house. Dr. Phil’s guests say they are prisoners to body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), a preoccupation with a real or imagined physical defect. Diana, 28, has been suffering with BDD for over 13 years. She’s undergone over 50 permanent make-up procedures –- eye liner, lips and eyebrows –- and didn’t leave her home for two years because she thinks she looks like a monster. Her mother, Guadalupe, and her sister, Liz, say it’s painful to watch Diana deteriorate before their eyes. Find out the shocking event Diana believes caused her condition. Then, 17 year-old Cheyenne used to win beauty pageants, but now believes that she’s an ugly, overweight girl with thunder thighs. She takes several hours to get ready for school in the morning, and constantly picks at her arm hair and lips. Her mom, Bobette, wonders if she’s the cause of her daughter’s bad feelings. Does Cheyenne really have BDD, or is something else affecting her? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 30, 2007, 9:19 am CDT

10/30 Body Dysmorphia

The sister in the second segment needs to understand what a sister does. I get that she has a life and 2 kids and doesn't have time to feel sorry for her sister but what about having emapathy for her. She can't control this that's why it's called a dissorder. I would feel even worse about myself if my sister didn't support me in something I had very little control over. This is not somthing to be taken lightly and maybe this sister should take time out of her busy day to show some compassion towards her sister. Because if she doesn't do it now she may be taking time out of her busy day to go to a funeral instead.

October 30, 2007, 9:19 am CDT

10/30 Body Dysmorphia

Quote From: longwalker

Have you seen a doctor with your hair growth problem?

LASER HAIR REMOVAL WILL HELP AND ITS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE. I KNEW A LADY THAT HAD TO SHAVE HER FACE.  THE DOCTORS JUST KEPT TELLINGHER THAT HER HORMONES WERE OUT OF BALANACE AFTER HAVING HER DAUGHTER.  SHE'S MOVED AWAY NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPEND TO HER, BUT NEVER BE AFRAID TO LIVE YOUR LIFE,  WHO CARES WHAT OTHER PEOPLE   THINK OF YOU.......

October 30, 2007, 9:22 am CDT

A day behind

I just finished watching the show about the child support issue today and the I think Gloria needs to be more sensitive to how she states things.  She made me a little upset talking about dead beat dads.  I am a step mom raising two children, and I completely love my children, that's right I called them mine.  They live with me and I consider them to be mine because their birth mother is a dead beat and she is yet over the course of two years to pay court ordered child support and has very little contact with them really.  In the mean time my husband and I have raised them while I have been in the hospital, planned a wedding, and struggled financially.  She hasn't even shown up for the hearings and she has a warrant for her arrest, and the last hearing I was sitting right there and the judge didn't even acknowledge me for anything.  I don't expect great praise but my husband have done this together.  Even though I am a woman I don't make blanket statements about MEN and child support because there is just as many woman these who are the same way.  So Gloria should really be more politically correct and not make it just a MAN thing.  I feel for the Enrique and for BOTH of his daughters but that woman is the only one responsible for the whole mess, she put him in a real rotten situation and she doesn't care about her daughter really she just wants the money or she would agree to letting her daughter see Enrique without him having to pay child support

October 30, 2007, 9:26 am CDT

To Appalled in NY State

Quote From: avery10102002

Are you kidding me???  What a waste of air time Dr. Phil.  This young lady doesn't know what problems are!!!  She thinks that she's ugly, big cheeks, uneven lips, pleassssssse!  Boy, if she's ugly I must be hideous, I better stay home today, I might scare everyone that comes in contact with me.  Get a life!!!! I'll tell you what worrying is, my father has been diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor and has 9 months to live, that's worrying you spoiled brat.  Go to St. Jude hospital and take a look at those little kids without any hair that won't live for very long, that's something to worry about.  Dr. Phil, don't waste your time with these spoiled brats that have nothing else better to do than feel pity on themselves.  How about a show, like Oprah recently did, when you're faced with eminent death, how do you look at life?

Appalled in NY State

First I would like to say that I am very sorry to hear about your father.  I too have been faces with family tragedy in my life (as many of us have) and know the worries you speak of and how they have consumed your thoughts.

Second, I am very sad that someone going through this type of worry would have such little compassion for those in a perhaps not equal struggle, but a struggle none-the-less.  This is a serious disorder that affects many people in the world.  I can promise you that those inflicted with this disorder would likely give up being the most beautiful person in the world if they could only be happy with who they are.  I also think that it takes an intelligent person to see when someone is really suffering and when someone is just acting.  Dr. Phil has proven his intelligence time and time again; I truly doubt he would have guests on knowing they were simply “spoiled brats” and not call them out on it.  He has touched on a very important topic here and I hope that everyone that reads your message knows that you are clearly taking out your own frustrations of the struggle you are enduring on poor Innocent people. 

I hope you find piece with your tragedy. 

October 30, 2007, 9:30 am CDT

Wow

Quote From: traumaqueen45

I know just how these ladies feel.  I have not spoken about this outside of my immediate family until now.    When I was younger, I was teased about being ugly, even by my own siblings.  When I reached my twenties and men found me attractive, I began to think I was and my confidence rose.  One of the men I dated was very attractive and my sister wondered why he was dating me and not her because 'she was better looking.'  I soon moved away from the negative forces in my life and I went back to college in my 30's and became an LPN.  That also helped my confidence.    Now I am 53 and disabled due to toxic chemicals that I was exposed to at work. I rarely go out in public.  Not only because of my fear of exposure to products that make me sick, but also because I no longer resemble the woman I once was.  I have gained 50 pounds since I became ill.  I think I am a fat ugly pig.  I initially gained weight when I was put on several courses of steroids due to health problems and have been unable to get the weight off, even though I walked all summer long with little success.  Exercise for me in the wintertime is hard because I also have CFIDS and fibromyalgia which seem to worsen in the cold winter months.   I was recently diagnosed with heart and lung problems and even walking leaves me short of breath, so I now wear oxygen. I do have a treadmill, but rarely use it, because trying to avoid the oxygen tubing is also a pain.   I have thought of plastic surgery, but after a woman I used to work with mentioned she was trying to find help to remove excess skin from her abdomen after gastric bypass, I gave up my dream of having plastic surgery to help her.   I am alone all day long and have minimal conversation with my husband at night because he comes home long enough to eat, watch an hour or two of TV and then he's off to bed.  My 'friends' are limited to my internet.  I have other family members that live nearby, but they are busy with their lives, so I do not see them either unless we run into each other accidentally.   That's my life and I am so tired of it.  I want to feel good about myself again, but whenever I look in the mirror or step on the scales, I hate myself all over again.

Sorry you feel this way about yourself and your life.  Life is too short to dislike yourself so much. 

I am ugly, fat,  wear glasses & not too smart.  People make their snide remarks.  Well, all I can say to them is oh well you don't like me??  BYE.  If I accept their negatives, they win.  When I walk away I am the better person.  Why make them the victor when you know what they are saying is unture.  So why do you accept these words that you say to yourself?  List your positives... you have a college degree!, your a nurse and a mom.

What upset me is your moving away from your negative forces.  It seems like 51% of the negative force is yourself.  How do you get away from yourself?  I have friends but they're "of size."  When we all get together we look like tele tubbies, however we enjoy our selves. My one friend plays the guitar so we sing.  We read a book and share thoughts.

My DBSA (depression group -- look up Mood Garden) has picnics, get togethers, outings and the people  are supportive.  Maybe if you find people with the same interests you have, you will feel better.  Twelve-steps like OA and CoDA.  Get a sponsor and share how you're feeling.

I will be praying for you.  Dr. Phil, maybe you can teach us some smart remarks to say to mean people that tease us or make us feel inappropriate; LOL, I'd like to change what they acknowledge right in the kisser... but that wouldn't be right.

Pearlhanna

October 30, 2007, 9:32 am CDT

10/30 Body Dysmorphia

Quote From: sspreston

I never knew that there was a name for the way I feel.   I am a 29 year old woman who has spent the last 5 years staying in my home arguing with my husband about not even leaving to go get food for the house.  I have excessive hair growth on my face and other parts of my body.  I have to shave everyday or I would look like a monkey.  It takes me so long to get ready, that it takes everything I have to just do it.  By 5 pm  I have 5 0'clock shadow.  This makes me feel less of a woman that I find it becoming more of a burden on me than it has ever before.  I hate the way that I look.  I thought that I could deal with it as I get older, but I am finding that this hair problem in control of me. 

As someone else responded, there is no reason for you to go thru what you do every day. Do what was suggested and make an appointment with an endocrinologist. It is not normal for a woman to have to shave. Take control and get your life back. Good luck.

October 30, 2007, 9:34 am CDT

NO Sympathy!

I'm going to come across as very hateful, but I must express how I feel. The women who claim to be "suffering" from this "disease" have way to much time on their hands.  I bet that there are no women in the third world countries with this "disease"...why because they don't look down at the only food they are going to have for the next week and say .."well I would eat this, but I'm so ugly" They have more problems then beauty, they don't have access to water let alone a mirror!!  The women on this show need to get a grip on what real problems are and stop being so vain as to think that being attractive is the ultimate form of happiness. The bottom line is that there is a spiritual void that these women are trying to fill with whining and surgery. I'm sorry that this is harsh but its the truth. Sympathy no...hopeful yes.

October 30, 2007, 9:49 am CDT

AhHa - I knew it!!

Good job Dr. Phil.  I just sent a comment to another viewer and mentioned your ability to find a "scam" when there is one.  I now sit and continue to watch the show and you did just that.  You honestly questioned Cheyenne's issues.  Good job Dr. Phil. 

October 30, 2007, 10:39 am CDT

10/30 Body Dysmorphia

Quote From: stillamazed

First I would like to say that I am very sorry to hear about your father.  I too have been faces with family tragedy in my life (as many of us have) and know the worries you speak of and how they have consumed your thoughts.

Second, I am very sad that someone going through this type of worry would have such little compassion for those in a perhaps not equal struggle, but a struggle none-the-less.  This is a serious disorder that affects many people in the world.  I can promise you that those inflicted with this disorder would likely give up being the most beautiful person in the world if they could only be happy with who they are.  I also think that it takes an intelligent person to see when someone is really suffering and when someone is just acting.  Dr. Phil has proven his intelligence time and time again; I truly doubt he would have guests on knowing they were simply spoiled brats and not call them out on it.  He has touched on a very important topic here and I hope that everyone that reads your message knows that you are clearly taking out your own frustrations of the struggle you are enduring on poor Innocent people. 

I hope you find piece with your tragedy. 

Dr. Phil said that he did not believe Cheyenne had BDD because of her pageant history. If she thought she was so ugly, why would she put herself in a place to be judged? Her suffering is of her own making. And I certainly don't believe the poster was taking out her frustrations by stating her point. Are you taking out your frustrations by coming down on her?

October 30, 2007, 10:46 am CDT

wow

let that beautiful girl walk around in my body for one whole day she will feel like a Princess after that experience,  I would trade her in a heartbeat!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last