Message Boards

Topic : 07/04 Body Dysmorphia

Number of Replies: 289
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 02:52:19 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/30/07) When most women gaze in the mirror, they may bemoan a blemish here or a wrinkle there. Imagine staring at your reflection for over two hours and hating your face so much that you never leave the house. Dr. Phil’s guests say they are prisoners to body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), a preoccupation with a real or imagined physical defect. Diana, 28, has been suffering with BDD for over 13 years. She’s undergone over 50 permanent make-up procedures –- eye liner, lips and eyebrows –- and didn’t leave her home for two years because she thinks she looks like a monster. Her mother, Guadalupe, and her sister, Liz, say it’s painful to watch Diana deteriorate before their eyes. Find out the shocking event Diana believes caused her condition. Then, 17 year-old Cheyenne used to win beauty pageants, but now believes that she’s an ugly, overweight girl with thunder thighs. She takes several hours to get ready for school in the morning, and constantly picks at her arm hair and lips. Her mom, Bobette, wonders if she’s the cause of her daughter’s bad feelings. Does Cheyenne really have BDD, or is something else affecting her? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 28, 2008, 9:46 pm CDT

I'd rather go to hell with all my hair than to Heaven even half bald!

I am obsessed with my hair...  Or lack thereof...  I began losing it in December, 1990.  In 1992 I started taking Rogaine treatments but, WHAT A WASTE!  For months after I stoped I had a mysteriously greasy scalp.
Myt hair in the front is thinner, sickingly so...  It'd be MUCH WORSE IF...
Since 1999 I now take propecia once daily.
I often cut my own hair because all the hair around where it is thinning gets too thick and, if I let it grow unchecked, I look like one of those filthly old freak-adeak tired old man. 
Dad has constantly implored me with, "Chris, why do you keep cutting your hair?  You take that @#@@ to GROW AND THEN YOU TURN AROUND AND CUT IT!  It makes no sense to me, Chris!"
I'd rather go to hell with a fll head of hair than to go to Heaven even half-bald...  Well, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point...  If I must I sell my soul to have my hair back.
I will not step out into the rain because if my hair gets wet when it dries the thinning is obviously.  I wash my hair only once a week.

July 29, 2008, 4:26 am CDT

A womans point of view.................

Quote From: ffffffffffff

I am obsessed with my hair...  Or lack thereof...  I began losing it in December, 1990.  In 1992 I started taking Rogaine treatments but, WHAT A WASTE!  For months after I stoped I had a mysteriously greasy scalp.
Myt hair in the front is thinner, sickingly so...  It'd be MUCH WORSE IF...
Since 1999 I now take propecia once daily.
I often cut my own hair because all the hair around where it is thinning gets too thick and, if I let it grow unchecked, I look like one of those filthly old freak-adeak tired old man. 
Dad has constantly implored me with, "Chris, why do you keep cutting your hair?  You take that @#@@ to GROW AND THEN YOU TURN AROUND AND CUT IT!  It makes no sense to me, Chris!"
I'd rather go to hell with a fll head of hair than to go to Heaven even half-bald...  Well, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point...  If I must I sell my soul to have my hair back.
I will not step out into the rain because if my hair gets wet when it dries the thinning is obviously.  I wash my hair only once a week.

I so wish that you didn't feel this way. I knew a boy (man) in high school who was already half bald. Guess what? He was so cute! I said man before because he looked and acted like one. He always had the prettiest girlfriend. Now that I am older, out of school of course, a mans hair doesn't matter to ma at all. Nor does it to most women, only the very shallow ones. Take Dr. Phil, he is an extremely sexy man. And then there is my husband's boss, he is half bald and has sex appeal to spare! I have always had a huge crush on him. Hair doesn't make the man, the man makes the man! Your character, your self confidence, your eyes, there are so many things. My husband was almost completely gray when I met him, he was 37 years old. That never bothered him and it certainly never bothered me. And please, do yourself a favor and do not wear baseball caps. That is the worst thing that you can do besides the comb-over. We know all of the little tricks that men try and pull and we would prefer to have you as you are. I can name so many celebrity's that have no hair that are so handsome and masculine. Some of them are naturally that way and MANY others shave their heads on purpose, which I happen to like. Believe me, there are so many other things to worry about, such as your health. That is so much more important! Relax and go with the flow. Honestly? A man's hair means nothing, but masculinity and self confidence mean the world. Work on those and just see how much better your life can really be.

August 19, 2008, 3:03 pm CDT

friend suffering from bdd

I've got a friend who has been diagnosed with bdd. Im very worried about him because he talks a lot about his apearnce (thinks he's being laughed at his back by everybody he sees in the streets). He also told me often that he is going to end it (killing himself). I can tell him over and over again that he is a great guy and that I think that he is handsome, but as is usual with bdd, he wont listen to me, telling me that I'm only saying that to make him feel good. I want to help him, because he is very special for me and I do think that he is the greatest guy I've ever met, but I've no idea what to do or what not to do. Any ideas???

February 5, 2009, 3:00 pm CST

doing the right thing

Quote From: crlime

I've got a friend who has been diagnosed with bdd. Im very worried about him because he talks a lot about his apearnce (thinks he's being laughed at his back by everybody he sees in the streets). He also told me often that he is going to end it (killing himself). I can tell him over and over again that he is a great guy and that I think that he is handsome, but as is usual with bdd, he wont listen to me, telling me that I'm only saying that to make him feel good. I want to help him, because he is very special for me and I do think that he is the greatest guy I've ever met, but I've no idea what to do or what not to do. Any ideas???
Seems to me that you're doing the right thing with your friend. As long as he knows that you love him and you're there for him he should b ok. Just make sure to tell him every day that you're there for him. And if you have faith and believe in God, just let God know that u want to be there for your friend and ask him for guidence. I hope your friend is doing better since your last comment. i'll be praying for you both

February 5, 2009, 3:32 pm CST

how do u know what my praying has accomplished?!?!?!

Quote From: nasale

I started out reading your story with a lot of compassion for your situation until I got to the part where you were criticising someone ELSE's pain. You have no right to decide how much someone else is hurting. No one is telling you that you don't have the right to YOUR pain, Why do you think you can do it to others? It makes you an ugly person when you do that and it makes it really hard to have compassion for you as well. You seem extremely arrogant and I hate to tell you, but your praying isn't doing you one bit of good.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT MY PRAYING IS DOING???? FYI because of my medical issues i ended up almost misscarrying my nine month old twins. they were born 3 months early and i didn't say anything about anyone not having a right to their pain. i'm just not understanding of why they think they  are ugly when they are all very beautiful people. there was a time when i wished that i was as pretty as them. some of those women would be able to be in magezines. And yea i may have come off as cynical but that's just who i am. God gave me an opinion and i can't just keep it to myself. maybe that's where the devil kinda stepped in and doesn't let me keep my mouth (or my fingers) to myself. I understand that i have an ugly side but i'm sure there are things that u don't understand and people may see that u have an ugly side when it just may be something that u don't understand. we are humans. that's how God designed us. and PS it was MY praying and the praying of others that i got to take a 2lb baby boy and a 1lb 15oz baby girl home. so before you go attacking my faith and what i pray about you may want to step back lady and think of a few things becuase there is a MAJOR difference between arrogance and ignorace. i just happen to fall into the ignorance catigory when it comes to BDD. i never said that i didn't have compassion for ppl like that i'm just saying that there are people that say stuff like that just to get attention and has nothing to do with BDD

February 26, 2009, 2:29 pm CST

07/04 Body Dysmorphia

Quote From: littlebit6803

Seems to me that you're doing the right thing with your friend. As long as he knows that you love him and you're there for him he should b ok. Just make sure to tell him every day that you're there for him. And if you have faith and believe in God, just let God know that u want to be there for your friend and ask him for guidence. I hope your friend is doing better since your last comment. i'll be praying for you both
Thanks for your kind words. I really appreciate it. Since last time, my friend is actually being treated for BDD. At this point I cannot see much difference. He has his good days, but also his bad days. And these are very dark and depressing. But because this treatment is just shortly started I hope and pray that it shall help him and all work out for the best.

April 7, 2009, 9:02 am CDT

Cheyenne Dedmon

My best friend is the girl that Dr. Phil was unsure if she really had the BDD. I'm here to tell you she does. I'm one year younger than she is and we met in Marching Band. We both played flute and had great times in high school. But it was not always fun because Chy would take HOURS to get ready just to march in a parade or a field show. She would always want to look her best of she could. So for those who have a hard time believing such a beautiful, wonderful girl could think horrible things about herself, it's true. I love her with all my heart and her problems just keep getting bigger so please keep her in your prayers

April 7, 2009, 9:04 am CDT

07/04 Body Dysmorphia

Quote From: crlime

My best friend was the  girl on the show for bdd. You just need to be there for him because he needs that support! Chy was the same way. Just keep letting him know that it doesn't matter what other people think and just keep being there!

May 2, 2009, 1:02 am CDT

They say I suffer from BDD, but...

I really do not CARE what the medical community of my family might "label me", I WANT TO BE A HOTTIE!!!!

I have wanted to be a good-looking guy ever since I used to be enthralled and rejuvenated when I would see the model-good-looking girls in the mall, when I was 13.  They zest for living that seeing such girls created with-in me...  I want to have the same effect on the females...

I want hair flap surgery, NOT HAIR TRANSPLANTS!!!  I'd sell my soul for the bangs I used to have in the first half of my high school years.  Who knoes, maybe just a touch of the knife could make my face (ESPECIALLY my gay profile) look hot like I have always tended to visualize myself in my mind as being.  It's only the mirror and pictures and videotape that disagree with me.)

Last, and least, but still important to me, I want to use that medica tool called Ilizarov to make my forearms and arms longer, not too much longer, just long enough so that my arms are finally longer than those girls who are two or three inches shorter than me.  Long arms on a good-lookin girl is an immense turn-on to me, but the REAL TURN-ON is the thought that my arms (especially my forearms) are LONGER.  I have easured my forearm with literaly hundreds of girls' forearms, and sad to say, almost 50% of the time mine are shorter, and I am 6 feet tall!

I wish God would allow and make a way for me to accomplish my dream.  If I knew He won't, Id sell my soul in a New York second for Lucifer to do this, even if I had to sizzle like a piece opf bacon after I die, even though I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS...  If God doesn't love me enough to do this, why do I want to spend eternity in Heaven with Him?  It is my one dream...

First | Prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | Next Page | Last Page