Message Boards

Topic : 06/11 Scary Skinny

Number of Replies: 391
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 02, 2007, 11:53:05 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/16/07) We live in a culture that glamorizes svelte celebrities from Angelina Jolie to Paris Hilton. But some women put their lives in jeopardy for the sake of being skinny.  Twenty-three-year-old Jessica weighs 95 pounds and has battled anorexia for 10 years. She says she’s obsessed with exercising and counting calories, and only sees a fat woman when she looks in the mirror. Jessica’s younger sister, Theresa, fears for Jessica’s life but doesn’t know how to approach her. What’s at the root of Jessica’s disorder? Find out why the siblings say the answer lies in their childhood. Then, Jessica isn’t the only one in her family fighting anorexia. Her 12-year-old cousin, Nicole, was recently hospitalized because she lost 60 pounds in the last three months -- all in an effort to look like Nicole Richie. Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s strong message for the young women. Plus, Alita became bulimic at the age of 17 when she weighed 220 pounds. Now, at 24, she’s 95 pounds lighter but still wants to lose weight. Alita says she binges every day -- eating up to six plates of food at a time -- and then purges. She gives Dr. Phil camera crews a disturbing look at a day in her life. And, Alita’s father, Frank, worries that she’ll die if she doesn’t get help soon. Is Frank enabling her bulimia? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 3, 2007, 9:22 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Phil Scary Skinny. What was that all about Scary Skinny? I donot understand that. See your on Frid--

ay November 09th, 2007. Well I had better cliose now. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---------------------

November 3, 2007, 10:10 am CDT

11/09 Scary Skinny

I am very much looking forward to the Scary Skinny show coming up this week, even though it may be quite triggering for me. I'm egaer to see how that young, 62 lb woman--profiled on a show last season--is doing now. If she's gained a substantial amount of weight, I'll be happy for her because at least she'll stand a better chance of survival. And I pray to God that her purging has at least lessened to some degree (or stopped altogether) because that in itself can be fatal regardless of one's restoration of weight.

I think about this girl often. Her story touched me deeply, especially her family issues which were so similar to my own when I was in the throws of my own anorexia. I never got  as low in weight as she did, but at 5'10" and 92 lbs, I can now look back and see how sick I truly was!

Recovery is so damn long and hard in this horrible disease. It's that whole mind & body connection that makes this illness so difficult to both treat. & overcome. Personally speaking, I don't think that complete recovery is possible in most cases, but I do believe that we can learn to live with it ,and manage it on a day-to-day basis just like people with other chronic illnesses do, and life CAN be enjoyable if you take it one-day-at-a-time!

But can I please stress this all important fact? Just because we have gained weight and APPEAR to have this thing beat, please remember that weight is only the physical aspect of this disease, and the turmoil inside us can still be unrelenting for a long time to come, possibly even for life. However, with consistent management and ongoing support, the eating disorder thoughts and behaviors can be put in the background of our existence, and life can be worthwhile, productive, and WORTH IT!

November 3, 2007, 11:23 am CDT

Anorexia Intervention

Hello...I am looking forward to Friday's show because I have a paper to write about Anorexia intervention. I am hoping to gain some helpful insight about this disease. If anyone has any good books that they would recommend for my research project let me know.

November 3, 2007, 5:37 pm CDT

tiny voice

have no idea what this week holds for me, but I hope to at least catch this show. 

In the 70's, "60 minutes" introduced America  to this problem.  Being 16 at the time, I found it amazingly odd.  One of the points I still recall from that 60 minutes segment was how these girls do not want to grow up.  They don't want to develop breasts, they don't want periods.  They want to stay "little".    

So, over the years as I have watched these shows, and it's still amazingly odd to me, I have found myself listening to their voices.  Many talk like little girls, using these little tiny voices.  It's a common factor I've picked up on.  I do want to see this 23 yr old woman who, at least on the commercial, uses a 5 year old voice.  It can't be her real voice, she really needs to find her real voice....and of course I hope she will get better, along with the other poor girl who was so thin. 

I STILL wonder about that poor bride that looked like death in a wedding dress and why anyone let that wedding take place....Love, Luanne

November 4, 2007, 5:29 am CST

Sick of this topic

I am so tired of reading/hearing about these anorexic or bulemic people. I saw a women with this disorder in a bikini years ago and thought I was going to be sick. How she could even psychologically believe she was fat is beyond me. However, I am so tired of this topic.

November 5, 2007, 12:16 pm CST

11/09 Scary Skinny

Quote From: tarrah

Hello...I am looking forward to Friday's show because I have a paper to write about Anorexia intervention. I am hoping to gain some helpful insight about this disease. If anyone has any good books that they would recommend for my research project let me know.

Check out "Something-Fishy.org" it has a lot of good information and references

November 5, 2007, 4:10 pm CST

11/09 Scary Skinny

I would like to recommend the book,  Anorexia Nervosa: Let Me Be  by A.H. Crisp.

Copyright 1980 by ACADEMIC PRESS INC. (LONDON) LTD.

This is an older book, but EVERYTHING in there is so dead-on. I've read everything on anorexia and bulimia and I've suffered from it, so I can assure you....this book is THEE best! Good luck on your assignment!

November 5, 2007, 4:37 pm CST

right on!

Quote From: kintaav

I am very much looking forward to the Scary Skinny show coming up this week, even though it may be quite triggering for me. I'm egaer to see how that young, 62 lb woman--profiled on a show last season--is doing now. If she's gained a substantial amount of weight, I'll be happy for her because at least she'll stand a better chance of survival. And I pray to God that her purging has at least lessened to some degree (or stopped altogether) because that in itself can be fatal regardless of one's restoration of weight.

I think about this girl often. Her story touched me deeply, especially her family issues which were so similar to my own when I was in the throws of my own anorexia. I never got  as low in weight as she did, but at 5'10" and 92 lbs, I can now look back and see how sick I truly was!

Recovery is so damn long and hard in this horrible disease. It's that whole mind & body connection that makes this illness so difficult to both treat. & overcome. Personally speaking, I don't think that complete recovery is possible in most cases, but I do believe that we can learn to live with it ,and manage it on a day-to-day basis just like people with other chronic illnesses do, and life CAN be enjoyable if you take it one-day-at-a-time!

But can I please stress this all important fact? Just because we have gained weight and APPEAR to have this thing beat, please remember that weight is only the physical aspect of this disease, and the turmoil inside us can still be unrelenting for a long time to come, possibly even for life. However, with consistent management and ongoing support, the eating disorder thoughts and behaviors can be put in the background of our existence, and life can be worthwhile, productive, and WORTH IT!

I could not have said it better! Plus, you can relapse at any time and thats so scary! keep up all your hard work :)

November 5, 2007, 6:43 pm CST

11/09 Scary Skinny

Quote From: dap180aa

I am so tired of reading/hearing about these anorexic or bulemic people. I saw a women with this disorder in a bikini years ago and thought I was going to be sick. How she could even psychologically believe she was fat is beyond me. However, I am so tired of this topic.

The great thing about TV's is,,,,,,you can change channels. If you are tired of the topic, you are free to watch something else. There are many sides to eating disorders, as there are with most other addictions. Anorexia and bulemia kill THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of OUR children each year.

This upcomming show is very close to me too. I'm a 53 year old guy and also the next door neighbor to Alita, the second girl who will be on the show. I've seen her go from a beautiful talented little girl to a skeleton of a person that was near death. We've lived next door to her and her family for 14 years and i'm SO thankful that the show choose to bring her on and get her help.

Just because you don't understand it, please don't minimize their struggles and the seriousness of their diseases.

Mark

November 5, 2007, 7:04 pm CST

11/09 Scary Skinny

You can also check out a book called "living without ED" by Jenni Shaefer. She is recovering from her own eating disorder and has a web site and book out too. She was also on the show with Jessica and Alita and is a part of where the two girls went for help.

Mark

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last