Message Boards

Topic : 11/09 Debate Dr. Phil and the Bishop

Number of Replies: 1747
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 01:51:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
From a celebrity’s controversial meltdown caught on tape to nooses cropping up around the country, Dr. Phil and Bishop T.D. Jakes tackle tough racial issues. First up, Dog the Bounty Hunter spewed slurs in a phone conversation with his son, Tucker, and used the N-word repeatedly when referring to Tucker’s black girlfriend, Monique. Monique’s mother, Linda Shinnery, joins the Dr. Phil show via satellite and says she was appalled by Dog’s tirade. Should the reality TV star lose his job over a private conversation? Civil rights activist Al Sharpton, rapper Master P, and BET correspondent Jeff Johnson weigh in. Then, nooses, a symbol of hatred for African-Americans, are cropping up more and more across the country – from Jena, Louisiana to Columbia University in New York. Najee Ali, founder and co-director of Project Islamic Hope, shares his views on empowering the black community and combating stereotypes. Don’t miss this intense debate about racism and sensitivity in America, and find out how you can educate your children. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 8, 2007, 4:53 am CST

Amen to this person

Quote From: rnldtrdff

I was raised in the deep south during the early fifties. The words 'Colored People' and 'Negro's' were used frequently. Along came the politically correct folks and those references were considered insulting.  Yet, the NAACP has not taken the Colored People out of their name.  I can only imagine what the Black leaders would say if a telethon was started and it was called The United Caucasian College Fund.

I do not support racism.  I also do not support the whining I hear from many of the vocal black leaders.  I was taught that 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."  The Black community needs to whine a bit more about their behaviors and attitudes. 

Dr. Phil  teaches that we need to own it before we can change it.  I mostly see the Black leaders finger pointing and teaching their youth the same.  To the Black whiners......talk to the hand. 

This is the truth as I know it also.

It is time the NAACP start educating your people as to the real truth.

I do not support racism either, but it is your group that is making it a reality in the USA.

You don't hear all this garbage in other countries.

Bring your children up with manners and respect and maybe you could help change the world.

Accept your responsibility and start in your homes.

I pick up my grandson at the bus stop and I hear the N word all the time from 1st graders.  I've even seen them at the bus stop de pants each other.  How disgusting all this is you start your children at birth that you are different.  Well you are NOT.  You are a human so start acting like one.

November 8, 2007, 4:53 am CST

Yes "Private Conversation"

Quote From: maryp2219

Though I don't agree that what he did was right - bigotry is not acceptable - he surely has the right to say what he's thinking in a private conversation with his son.

We all seem to forget that was a "Private Conversation" between Dog and his ungrateful son Tucker"

I am sure we are all guilty in one way or another of saying something we wish we didn't. But it was a private conversation. What's that first ammendment. "Freedom of Speech" Let's not forget Dog has done a lot of good for getting criminals off the street. Let's talk about the good, rather than the negative. Sure he shouldn't of used that word, referring to a black person, but let's not cast the first stone, we all stand in judgement every day of the words we use, the way we treat people, the way we live our lives.

November 8, 2007, 4:54 am CST

leave Dog alone

Dog got embarrassed and apologized abjectly. He thought he was using that word in a cool way and there's never really an acceptable way to use it, according to me and most other people. However, I'm tired of black activists having everyone by the throat on issues like this. This man is not a hater of black people and neither is Michael Richards. Crushing their careers is like lynching black people in the Old South.

November 8, 2007, 4:56 am CST

Are you Kidding

Quote From: ladyp11

That is one of the problems. They are religious and not spiritual. I heard Joyce Meyer say that a person was asked if she was a Christian. She replied that she went to church. Joyce stated you could sit in a garage all day, but that wont make you a car. So so true. 
Are you kidding me? Do you know what these kids will go through? It's hard enought to be a kid now you add to that this child that neither race wants. The blacks don't want them because the are part white, and the whites don't want them because they are part black. Try looking at this from a kids perspective. Let's also not forget racism exists on both sides of the arguement. I have heard blacks refer to whites as cracker, honky, etc. Why isn''t an issue made of this?

November 8, 2007, 4:58 am CST

Ashamed?

Quote From: maria3255

Dear Dr.Phil,

I find this trend of these nooses as symbols of black hatred so worrying because racism still seems to exist in a world where we, as human beings haven't learnt anything from past history, where the Klu Klux Klan ran rampant in the south. Where slaves were transported over from Africa and used for the white man's pleasure.  It's just so tragic that racism always rears it's ugly head in some way or form. I am a white woman by the way, and i feel ashamed at times to be white.

Sincerely,

Lory(Australia)   

You should be ashamed to be white if you think white people are the only one's who discriminate based on race. I don't condone racism but this is clearly not a one sided issue. Why do a majority of blacks in major universities hang out in the same places. Because they have a common culture. That isn't considered racist, but if you let whites do the same thing they are considered racist. Get over yourself lady. White people aren;t the only racist's in the world.

November 8, 2007, 4:59 am CST

reply to chrissy06

Chrissy06, I noticed that when you responded, you never mentioned punishment! This is a grown man! He should know by now that it was wrong before he said it. Obvisiousy he has been practicing this word and had not gotten caught using it frequently! So when you say he has a good show, SO WHAT! Some sort of punishment should come out of it! I can tell from your response you are not African American! Only because you are so non chalant!

November 8, 2007, 5:02 am CST

dog the bounty hunter

I grew up with my father disliking the blacks growing up in the fifties and sixties, I have always enjoyed there company and have held no predjudice towards them or any other ethnic group as long as they pulled there weight in society...white, black etc. I think dog should be forgiven as I have heard many blacks called each other the n word, I am not saying it was right but they need to clean up there own culture also.

I truly believe that the dog was sincere and should have his show back.

November 8, 2007, 5:02 am CST

The Dog

I really don't care for the Dogs show or his attire but I do stand behind him. I know that using the "N" word is degrading and uncalled for but to ruin asomeones career for using a work is just plain stupid. Al Sharpton and hios crew should take a good look at themselves. It seems all they do is stand behind the Black population. You never hear of them fighting for white rights. I love my country but things are getting way out of hand. Let's focus at the problems this country is going thru and not that someone uses the N word.

November 8, 2007, 5:05 am CST

11/09 Debate Dr. Phil and the Bishop

Quote From: chip1717

As long as parents raise their children to have hate in their hearts, racism will never end. You are not born being a racist; however, you are taught to be one. It's a generational problem. Why does it always have to be about color ? People should be judged on behavior and how we treat one another. It shouldn't matter what race you are, but should be about the individual. The only reason the "Bounty Hunter" incident is an issue is because of money and greed. Why are we fueling this issue? Because they have it on tape. It would not be an issue otherwise (except between the family and that's where it should have stayed). 

I agree that children can be taught to be racist, however it isn't always the parents who teach it. Sometimes it if their peers, sometimes the parents, but in many ways it is the way they are treated by representatives of  other races. Let's face it white people aren't the only racists in America. I always judge people on their behavior and not skin color, yet if I, as a white person dislike a black person based on his or her behavior, I am called a racist.. Racisn is an excuse for not measuring up. It is the easy way out. Rather than try and figure out why someone doesn't like you, let's just call that person a racist and it's the easy way out. 

November 8, 2007, 5:09 am CST

I agree with the first part of this message.

Quote From:

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last