Message Boards

Topic : News, Politics and Current Events

Number of Replies: 10264
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 05:18:57 pm
Author : pennylane_78
Please join us on the new News, Politics and Current Events message board: Click here

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 30, 2007, 12:25 am CST

News, Politics and Current Events

Quote From: profmaryann

That, the Republicans have. Although to hear the Robertsonians & Dobsonites whine, NOBODY looks good to them.

Guiliani IS for abortion & gay marriage, which (plus the fact that he's on Wife #3) REALLY endears him to the Righties (NOT!).

IMO, these groups (I would put the Christian Coalition among them) really push the line between "issues education" (which is permissible) and outright telling voters who to vote for. I've actually seen some of the "voter guides" that these groups put out -- scary stuff.

ITA, once they start actively telling the flock to support specific candidates, they should lose their tax-exempt status.

Prof

I don't know, to me that sort of stifles free speech.  I mean if a preacher wants to stand there and tell people who he wants to vote for and why, I don't see the problem.

Are college professers allowed to do the same thing in front of their class?  It would seem sort of the same thing to me.

JMHO

November 30, 2007, 9:20 am CST

Quote From: nscrchick

Wow, I would have had you pegged as a Democrat.  I guess the saying never assume anything is true!  I am a registered Republican, but as time passes, I  am just disenchanted by the whole circus.  It seems you can't believe anyone anymore and it is sad.    Some may think it stupid, but part of what I base my decision on is the abortion issue.  But that is a subject I am very passionate about.  I just don't see how millions of lives lost can't figure into the equation.

Hi there, 

I'm registered as a Democrat so that I can vote in a primary (not an open primary state) but vote based on the candidate.  My husband was a Republican for many years but switched parties mainly in protest to Bush.  He is a fiscal conservative and for states rights which is what the party used to be about before the Christian Coalition got involved back with Reagan.  Now, in his opinion, the party has been taken over by religious and big business interests.

Our political system, imo, sucks right now.  I would love to see a viable third party come into play but I have a feeling that may take awhile.

Something to consider on the abortion issue is a report released by a group of WHO (World Health Organization) scientists a month or so ago which found that even in countries where abortion is illegal the rate is the same if not more than in countries where it is legal.  They also found that the abortion rate was higher in countries that had abstinence only education and where birth control was not readily available.

For the record, abortion is not something that I personally would be able to do but I also have never found myself in a situation that would cause me to consider it.  If it was made illegal in our country they would still take place at the same rate but in addition to the loss of the fetus many more women would also die.    I would like to see the money that the pro choice and pro life groups spend battling each other spent on more education and  prevention of the procedure. 

November 30, 2007, 11:03 am CST

Quote From: loretta24

Hi there, 

I'm registered as a Democrat so that I can vote in a primary (not an open primary state) but vote based on the candidate.  My husband was a Republican for many years but switched parties mainly in protest to Bush.  He is a fiscal conservative and for states rights which is what the party used to be about before the Christian Coalition got involved back with Reagan.  Now, in his opinion, the party has been taken over by religious and big business interests.

Our political system, imo, sucks right now.  I would love to see a viable third party come into play but I have a feeling that may take awhile.

Something to consider on the abortion issue is a report released by a group of WHO (World Health Organization) scientists a month or so ago which found that even in countries where abortion is illegal the rate is the same if not more than in countries where it is legal.  They also found that the abortion rate was higher in countries that had abstinence only education and where birth control was not readily available.

For the record, abortion is not something that I personally would be able to do but I also have never found myself in a situation that would cause me to consider it.  If it was made illegal in our country they would still take place at the same rate but in addition to the loss of the fetus many more women would also die.    I would like to see the money that the pro choice and pro life groups spend battling each other spent on more education and  prevention of the procedure. 

Amen, Sista!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 30, 2007, 1:54 pm CST

I don't know, to me that sort of stifles free speech.  I mean if a preacher wants to stand there and tell people who he wants to vote for and why, I don't see the problem.

Are college professers allowed to do the same thing in front of their class?  It would seem sort of the same thing to me.

JMHO

Would you stand by your statement if you substituted "imam" or "rabbi" for "preacher?" The rules need to apply equally to all religious groups.

We have freedom to practice religion (or not) as we as individuals see fit. The government (by and large) lets religious entities be (they are not subject to corporate or property taxes), and (contrary to the assertions of the Robertsonians and Dobsonites) neither promotes nor persecutes particular sects based on belief per se. The trade-off is that religious entities are barred from openly supporting one candidate or another. Do you really *want* to see religious parties a la Israel, Iran, or (God forbid!) Afghanistan??

As far as college professors go, I would be mad as hell if a professor ginned for or against a particular candidate -- I didn't sit in psychology or chemistry classes to listen to a political agenda! I can see where a Poly Sci professor might illustrate a given point using current events, but otherwise, I would imagine if a prof went too off-topic for too many lectures, the students would be complaining.   

BTW, don't accept all the horror stories the uber-conservative columnists tell as "typical" campus occurrences. On the basis of being a student (BS and PhD), a student's then-wife, and an employee on a college campus for 8 years, I can honestly say that little, if anything, remotely resembling those extremes occurs on college campuses. The only reasaon I even have to qualify the statement at all is that something happened in the last couple of days on our local campus in conjunction with not even a lecture, but a movie screening, that gives me pause.

All for now.

Prof

December 3, 2007, 10:25 am CST

JMHO

Churches and religious organization maintain a tax free status....in soon as they start pushing political candidates and trying to influence a national agenda...they cross the line. Right now, conservative Christians are a huge voting block that want the candidates they endorse or rally their congregants to vote for to be beholden o their religious beliefs. I have a huge problem with that...they are not then a church but a political lobby.

December 6, 2007, 2:48 pm CST

Quote From: moodymitzy

I am glad that we can agree on something.

If women do not want to get pregnant and accidently forgets to use protection there is always the morning after pill. Plus there are a lot of people who want to adopt a baby why not give it away instead of killing it?

Then what do you say about those who contend that the "morning after pill" (and, for that matter, birth control pills themselves) cause abortions b/c (on occasion) what it does is prevent implantation of the fertilized egg?

Merely curious.

Prof

December 6, 2007, 11:02 pm CST

Then what do you say about those who contend that the "morning after pill" (and, for that matter, birth control pills themselves) cause abortions b/c (on occasion) what it does is prevent implantation of the fertilized egg?

Merely curious.

Prof

I am a firm believer in birth control and I had my doubts about the morning after pill. I don't know the morning after pill just does not sound like an abortion to me.

I do not think that birth control is the same as an abortion. I also believe in condoms and other contraceptives. I honestly think that the people who do not belive in contraceptives of any kind and even think that male masterbation is an abortion are seriously misguided. Like the family that has 16 children. I think that now that the world is over populated that we no longer have to go forth and multiply like they did back in Jesus's time. If a person wants kids thats fine as long as they can take care of them and I am not just meaning finacially. I am more meaning being their emotionally for each child.

Some may find this offensive but I'm sorry it was I believe and this is not a Christian thing either it is what I believe.

December 6, 2007, 11:07 pm CST

Merely curious.

Prof

I think that if taking birth control and or using the morning after pill will prevent women from having an abortion 2 month later then go for it.

It will also keep someone from having an unwanted baby. That could possibly maybe end up being physically abused, or thrown in a dumpster.

December 7, 2007, 12:28 am CST

Quote From: julie1418

Churches and religious organization maintain a tax free status....in soon as they start pushing political candidates and trying to influence a national agenda...they cross the line. Right now, conservative Christians are a huge voting block that want the candidates they endorse or rally their congregants to vote for to be beholden o their religious beliefs. I have a huge problem with that...they are not then a church but a political lobby.

BUT I am not talking about PUSHING a candidate, I am talking about just speaking.  Not endorsing, just conversation. 

I can remember when I was going to church, and we had Wednesday night bible study, it was a small group.  I don't see the harm in people talking about such, as long as it is conversation, debate, if you will.  But the pastor didn't even want to go there for "fear" (for lack of a better term) of repercussions.  I guess I understand the point, Because there would be those who would "tell" their congregation how to vote, but I guess I just have a problem with government in general.  I don't want or need big brother in every facet of my life. 

December 7, 2007, 12:40 am CST

Merely curious.

Prof

That is a good question.  One I have pondered.  I was always under the impression that the "morning after pill" was basically equivalent to an abortion.  In fact, I work in a hospital pharmacy and I have refused to take the "morning after pill" down to the ER.  I said I couldn't do it because I did not want to in any way shape or form be involved in the death of a baby. 

There is actually 2 different "after" pills.  There is the "morning after pill" (not available in this country legally) and "emergency contraception."  My pharmacist explained it this way:

The morning after pill will expell an embryo, will abort the baby.

The emergency contraception will prevent the fertilized egg from implanting in the uterine wall.  And it may be taken up to 3 days later.  They are actually birth control pills, just taken in a larger dose.

Don't know if this helps, but man it has raised some questions for me.  I have been on B.C.P. for 19 years.  And I am now in a serious dilemma.  To me it would seem that stopping a fertilized egg from implanting may be the same as killing it.  Oh God. Oh God.  Oh boy, I need to do some more research on this, if I have to live with the thought that I may have unknowingly  killed and unborn baby of mine...OH GOD

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last